Casa Tranquilo Hostal Reviews

100 mts downhill from the Supermarket, Santa Elena, Monteverde, Costa Rica

This may be the best hostel I have ever stayed at. Amazing staff, Great rooms and facilities, great location and access to activities. Would definitely recommend this hostel.

Ronald told us everything we needed to know about MV in more detail than we could ever imagine. He had friends all over Costa Rica and made calls to other hostels for us before we left for the cost. He organized group shuttles for us and booked tours, all while trying and succeeding at getting us the lowest prices. The hostel was great, but Ronald is why we would go back.

• 1st Jan 2015

We loved our stay at Casa Tranquilo!

Absolutely a wonderful place to stay in Monteverde. Definitely recommend the place. Staff is helpful and knows everything about where to go and what to do. Clean, safe and cosy. Great hostel!

I stayed at Casa Tranquilo for a couple of nights and was very happy with the hostel as a whole. Could have used hot-showers as it was quite cold, but everything else about the hostel made up for it. The staff were incredibly informative, friendly, fun, and enjoyable to be with and talk to. Make sure to have the breakfast with the delicious home-made banana bread. Highly recommend: ASK ABOUT THE FIG TREE! One of the highlights of the trip for sure. Pretty cool climbing up a fig-tree ladder.

We enjoyed are stay at Casa Tranquilo. Ro and all of the other regular staffers were so helpful and clearly enjoyed their jobs. We stayed here for a total of 5 nights. The room we stayed in was simple and clean. The hostel is also eco-friendly - an additional plus. Additionally, we reserved all of our activities in Monteverde through the hostel without an extra charge. We would gladly stay here again in the future and recommend other travelers to do so as well

We have stayed two nights at Casa Tranquilo and were very happy there!! It was one of the best hostels were ww have stayed in Costa Rica! The staff is great and let you feel more than welcome. Fully recomendable for this low price. Thumbs up!

• 19th Dec 2014

The locks had been changed and I got given the wrong key so I was locked out one night. Also, one shower for all the rooms which wasn't clean and didn't have hot water. Rooms were damp and drafty. Didn't feel 'cosy' or homely AT ALL.

It is really tough to get a better value for your money: original house with character, cleanliness, cheap price, good location, and an hearty breakfast with delicious banana bread made by the owner himself Ro. btw Ro is the best host I have ever had on my travels. He is very helpful, accommodating, interesting, and with a witty sense of humor. really hard not to love this place. Bilal

I've traveled a lot and CT was best hostel I've stayed in. The staff are amazing! They welcome you with open arms and make sure you have the best stay possible. The help you set up excursions and go into great detail about each company. For breakfast, you get coffee, fresh fruit, scrambled eggs and the best homemade banana bread. If you're staying in Monteverde, I can't imagine there being better place. Casa Tranquilo made Monteverde feel like home, I don't doubt they will do the same for you!

• 30th Nov 2014

We really enjoyed our stay! The people working there are really helpful and friendly! They give really good advices for the activities and transportation. Excellent breakfast with homemade banana bread to die for ;)

Great time and staff very friendly with great info and English. Stay here! Ull love it. Ask them to point out the local sloth only 100m from the hostel!

We loved our stay there. Ro was so helpful in helping us plan our time and in every way. Delicious breakfast! Only issue was extreme traffic noise, which is reasin for average rating above on location. Certainly not the fault of casa tranquilo, but due to the lack of local laws concerning motor bikes. Maybe offering earplugs to guests would be s good idea! Thank you for every thing!

• 22nd Nov 2014

Had a great time. My sister and I shared a twin room and it was perfect for our 2 night stay in Monteverde. Both David and Ro were extremely helpful and gave good advice on what to do in the area. Breakfast was also amazing. I want more banana bread!!

• 22nd Nov 2014
  • New Zealand

I loved this hostel - thought it was great. Ro was amazing in providing help with tours and general information about Monteverde and Santa Elena! The only downside for me was that motorbikes going up and down the hill were very loud early in the morning. Other than that - a great place to stay.

There was no hot water so I took a few ice cold showers. The guy with long hair clearly did not enjoy helping guests, especially when he was eating his lunch. And the photos make this place look a lot nicer than it really is.

• 16th Nov 2014

Sorry bout the bad time you experienced. As soon as we heard about the shower it was fixed. Sometimes these things happen. Sometimes we need to eat and having lunch is important for living. We would greatly appreciate if this time was respected by our guests. Everyday we are working to improve our place so if there are a few things missing. we apoligize, in the end this is a hostel.. in its true scence...

This place is a great place to stay in Santa Elena. The staff are absolutely Awesome! They can help you with anything, from tips to bookings. The free breakfast is really good. We stayed in a double room with shared bathroom. The beds are comfortable. The rooms are really cool. There are hammocks. It's like a big tree house. However, it's really noisy due to street traffic. The rooms are not sound proof. You can hear everything. And we had no hot water in the shared shower the entire time.

The breakfast was great and the staff (Ro) made our stay. He was super helpful with helping is plan tours and very straight forward with very detail. We loved the stay at Casa Tranquilo and loved Monteverde. Thanks guys

• 5th Nov 2014

Thank you guys... We hope you have a great time and experience in our country. Please come back soon...

I love this place! The staff was great and very helpful finding the perfect tours for me. The breakfast in the morning (fresh banana bread, fruits and scrambled eggs) was delicious!!! I definitely will stay there again.

• 30th Oct 2014

Great breakfast, staff are very helpful and friendly, nice relaxed atmosphere. I don't usually bother leaving reviews for hostels but me and my girlfriend enjoyed staying here so much more than some of the soulless big hostels we have stayed at recently we wanted to leave a review.