Casa Tranquilo Hostal Reviews

100 mts downhill from the Supermarket, Santa Elena, Monteverde, Costa Rica

Excellent value for money, the staff are super helpful (some of the best we've found in 3 months travelling), the breakfast is good and the bus to the park leaves from just over the road. The place isn't dirty but could use a bit of a scrub.

My favorite hostel Ive ever been to! Thank you so much for the hikes and the banana bread! The strangler tree was amazing!

• 18th Jul 2014

The most of the staff were very friendly and helpful, but an older man who I guess is the owner should take some charm-classes. Good breakfast!

• 13th Jul 2014
  • Sweden

We had a great time at this hostel! The staff was unbelievable helpful and nice, the rooms clean and the breakfast really good. I definately recommend this place!

• 2nd Jul 2014
  • Austria

We enjoy a lot in Monteverde specially when costa rica football team beat belgium and they pass to the next step of brazil worldcup. Breakfast include a tasty banana cake. Staff are kind anfd they gave us some tips to do in monteverde. The hostel is nice and cheap so we recomend 100%.

Extremely helpful and friendly staff who have a great local knowledge and a lovely breakfast! Would definitely recommend this place.

• 17th Jun 2014

Mixed reviews. They double booked us in a private room so put us in the last two dorm beds for the night (free of charge). Problem was they didn't know which beds we were supposed to take and just said 'take these and if someone is in them, tell them to move'. He also said it had been a busy day and he was tired. Overall we left feeling like an inconvenience to them, which is not cool. Positives were once we moved to the private is was good, and breakfast is great. Kitchen was dirty.

Great atmosphere, and the owner David is one or the nicest people you'll meet on your travels; he is very knowledgeable about Monteverde and will suggest interesting activities and hikes which can be done for free. The walls of the hostel are thin, and the fridge is too small; but the vibe of this place is unbeatable, as is the delicious breakfast every morning. Definitely the best hostel in Monteverde!

My biggest complaint was the location of the room -- which was by the street and quite noisy. But everything else exceeded expectations. The staff -- David, Emil and Sandro -- were very knowledgable, helpful and kind. Breakfast each morning was great. Casa Tranquilo does a lot with a little, and I would definitely stay there again.

• 24th May 2014

Fun hostel with super helpful and friendly staff:)

No complaints other than that it was really loud. It's right on the main road going into Santa Elena, so there were always mopeds zooming back and forth. The walls are also really thin, so in our room on the first floor, the chatter in the common area upstairs still kept us awake. They do have quiet hours after 10ish though, we were just on an early schedule. Banana bread lived up to the hype. Great value for the money.

My stay at the Casa Tranquilo was amazing, the staff was friendly and helpful at all times; willing to book all tours for me and even negotiating a discount for their guests. Breakfast was the best that I got from any hostel in costarica and facilities are very well located near to a supermarket, WIFI worked perfectly fine even for business purposes and dorms were quiet and comfty. By far your best choice when visiting Monteverde :) . Regards from Mexico, Enrique 25.

Really great price, friendliest staff very helpful, fun times and perfect breakfast

• 14th May 2014

Overall excellent. Staff were fantastic, always willing to go the extra mile and very welcoming. Which makes a good hostel great. For example, we had forgotten to give our keys back in La Fortuna that morning, we were quite worried, but the staff sorted it out in 30 seconds and got the leys back to the other hostel for no charge. The wifi didn't reach the room which would have been ideal. But this is the only minor negative. I would definitely stay there again.

delicious breakfast

• 22nd Apr 2014

Fantastic hostel! The breakfast was amazing (banana bread, scrambled eggs, cut fruits, coffee and tea!) the staff are a lot of fun and extremely helpful. Great value and great location. There is a super market literally a minute up the road. We would stay again. Definitely go here of you can. The rooms were roomy and comfortable.

It is an amazing place. I am a surgeon and my wife and I wanted to try something different. Not knowing what to expect with the Hostel way, we were very impressed. The most honest, fun, caring staff of any hotel imaginable. I did not bring a coat and the manager loaned me his warm jacket ($200) to wear. Not knowing it was his only jacket, he went without just to loan it to me. We jammed playing the harmonica and guitar and drums. The breakfast was amazing. The best part was the smiles! Thanks

• 19th Apr 2014
  • Costa Rica
  • Mixed Group, 41+

Excellent hostel and awesome breakfast! Highly recommended.

• 17th Apr 2014

Best breakfast we've had on our travels so far and the staff were friendly.

I had an absolutely amazing time at Casa Tranquilo. The staff was incredible and made you feel like you`re at home. I have nothing but good things to say about my stay at Casa Tranquilo.

• 14th Apr 2014