Casa Tranquilo Hostal Reviews

100 mts downhill from the Supermarket, Santa Elena, Monteverde, Costa Rica

It is an amazing place. I am a surgeon and my wife and I wanted to try something different. Not knowing what to expect with the Hostel way, we were very impressed. The most honest, fun, caring staff of any hotel imaginable. I did not bring a coat and the manager loaned me his warm jacket ($200) to wear. Not knowing it was his only jacket, he went without just to loan it to me. We jammed playing the harmonica and guitar and drums. The breakfast was amazing. The best part was the smiles! Thanks

• 19th Apr 2014
  • Costa Rica
  • Mixed Group, 41+

Excellent hostel and awesome breakfast! Highly recommended.

• 17th Apr 2014

I had an absolutely amazing time at Casa Tranquilo. The staff was incredible and made you feel like you`re at home. I have nothing but good things to say about my stay at Casa Tranquilo.

• 14th Apr 2014

The staff is super nice, and helpful, the breakfast is great, and the location is good, but there are some things that could be improved. The fridge is very small, and a joke considering the amount of people who are sharing it. It was completely full, and absolutely not big enough. The walls are paper thin, and provide no soundproofing at all.

Good, basic option near the Monteverde cloud forests. Short walk outside of the center of town, but it's a small town. Grocery and bus to the cloud forests are really close. Staff are friendly and helpful. It was a great value, especially because the breakfast was great. Kitchen is a little underequipped, but it got the job done. The main issue for me was the lack of lockers, but I had no issues. Staff were willing to hold on to something important like a passport.

This place was the best value for the money the whole time I stayed in Costa Rica. The room was clean and secure and had a decent bathroom with hot water once you learned how to get it to work. The staff here were very helpful in assisting us to get to our next location and went out of their way to make sure we got where we wanted to go. One of the staff memebers even pointed out a sloth in a tree near their hostel, which was really cool. I would definately stay here again!

The breakfast was small, but tasty. The dorm was cramped, no shelves to put stuff on, and lockers would be welcome. Good location for going to the Monteverde reserve. Friendly staff. Not really a place to hang out.

Definitely we appreciate all days we spent there. It was awesome and the owner is a very nice guy. He helped us to find what we were looking for and what was better for what we like. We were thinking about going somewhere else next year before staying in Casa Tranquilo, but we´re not going anywhere we´ll staying there next time. Best Breakfast ever and environment very tranquilo. Price was the best!

• 26th Mar 2014
  • Costa Rica

This hostel is really cute, the rooms are nice and the decor and setting is really charming. They make you an amazing free breakfast every day with homemade banana bread! Nice showers. BUT the guy working there (not the owner) was just so apathetic and rude. He was never at the desk, always smoking a joint somewhere, leaving all the doors wide open and the place unattended. If he was high, he made zero sense and would be really difficult to deal with. He shouldn't be left in charge.

Friendly hostel with all you will need for your stay (kitchen, wifi, tour booking, breakfast etc). The breakfast is legendary worth staying for alone.

Great staff, very knowledgeable and friendly. Delicious breakfast included. Location is on a main road so bring earplugs. Very chill and fun. I stayed an extra day because I liked it so much.

Staff were great, really friendly and helpful. Breakfast is delicious (freshly made scrambled egg, banana bread, fruit

The location is quite beautiful and you are close to the center as well as there are good shuttle services to the different activities. It has to be said that it was the best free breakfast I ever got in a hostel so be sure the price is all right. Moreover the owner and stuff have been very nice and always will hep you whenever you need a recommendation for a trip or a reservation. Pura Vida!

• 14th Mar 2014

Thanks so very much to all our guests who have enjoyed their stay at CASA TRANQUILO and thanks for putting up with us and our craziness... Peace!!

I stayed a whole week it was so wonderful~ The staff are so wonderful and the guest are from all over Europe and US. I look forward to returning to this cozy fun place.

• 26th Feb 2014

The most important thing, that banana bread is the best thing in the whole world. Stay here just for that! It'll be worth it! :) The guys who run this hostel are amazing! So helpful, so nice!!

The hostel staff were very helpful. The breakfast was delicious - eggs, fruit, and banana bread.The location is a bit noisy because of traffic. I was cold at night. The wind was strong and loud, and we could hear our neighbors in the next room. The shower was cold, and there were spiders in the bathroom. The shower and bathroom were outside of the room. Towels were not included.

Great place Great Bang for the Buck... Had a much better time there than tabacon....Not a single problem....I wish I can go Back.....J....

• 14th Feb 2014

Great hostel, good value. The staff were friendly and helpful. Nice vibe. Kitchen is nice. Bathroom and shower situation was okay. Very thin walls but it was a chill place so no big noise problem. I'd recommend it.

• 12th Feb 2014

Great Spot. The staff was extremely helpful and the breakfast was fantastic

• 10th Feb 2014

Very good hostel, especially for the price we paid ! The bedroom, toilets and shower were clean, but a few shelves or a small closet in the bedroom would be a nice addition. If you have a bedroom with view on the road, make sure you take Quies because it's very noisy and there is no isolation, but it's part of the charm of this wood hostel. Small but efficient breakfast.