Casa Tranquilo Hostal Reviews

100 mts downhill from the Supermarket, Santa Elena, Monteverde, Costa Rica

I've traveled a lot and CT was best hostel I've stayed in. The staff are amazing! They welcome you with open arms and make sure you have the best stay possible. The help you set up excursions and go into great detail about each company. For breakfast, you get coffee, fresh fruit, scrambled eggs and the best homemade banana bread. If you're staying in Monteverde, I can't imagine there being better place. Casa Tranquilo made Monteverde feel like home, I don't doubt they will do the same for you!

• 30th Nov 2014

Great time and staff very friendly with great info and English. Stay here! Ull love it. Ask them to point out the local sloth only 100m from the hostel!

We loved our stay there. Ro was so helpful in helping us plan our time and in every way. Delicious breakfast! Only issue was extreme traffic noise, which is reasin for average rating above on location. Certainly not the fault of casa tranquilo, but due to the lack of local laws concerning motor bikes. Maybe offering earplugs to guests would be s good idea! Thank you for every thing!

• 22nd Nov 2014

Had a great time. My sister and I shared a twin room and it was perfect for our 2 night stay in Monteverde. Both David and Ro were extremely helpful and gave good advice on what to do in the area. Breakfast was also amazing. I want more banana bread!!

• 22nd Nov 2014
  • New Zealand

I loved this hostel - thought it was great. Ro was amazing in providing help with tours and general information about Monteverde and Santa Elena! The only downside for me was that motorbikes going up and down the hill were very loud early in the morning. Other than that - a great place to stay.

There was no hot water so I took a few ice cold showers. The guy with long hair clearly did not enjoy helping guests, especially when he was eating his lunch. And the photos make this place look a lot nicer than it really is.

• 16th Nov 2014

Sorry bout the bad time you experienced. As soon as we heard about the shower it was fixed. Sometimes these things happen. Sometimes we need to eat and having lunch is important for living. We would greatly appreciate if this time was respected by our guests. Everyday we are working to improve our place so if there are a few things missing. we apoligize, in the end this is a hostel.. in its true scence...

This place is a great place to stay in Santa Elena. The staff are absolutely Awesome! They can help you with anything, from tips to bookings. The free breakfast is really good. We stayed in a double room with shared bathroom. The beds are comfortable. The rooms are really cool. There are hammocks. It's like a big tree house. However, it's really noisy due to street traffic. The rooms are not sound proof. You can hear everything. And we had no hot water in the shared shower the entire time.

The breakfast was great and the staff (Ro) made our stay. He was super helpful with helping is plan tours and very straight forward with very detail. We loved the stay at Casa Tranquilo and loved Monteverde. Thanks guys

• 5th Nov 2014

Thank you guys... We hope you have a great time and experience in our country. Please come back soon...

I love this place! The staff was great and very helpful finding the perfect tours for me. The breakfast in the morning (fresh banana bread, fruits and scrambled eggs) was delicious!!! I definitely will stay there again.

• 30th Oct 2014

Great breakfast, staff are very helpful and friendly, nice relaxed atmosphere. I don't usually bother leaving reviews for hostels but me and my girlfriend enjoyed staying here so much more than some of the soulless big hostels we have stayed at recently we wanted to leave a review.

Our stay at Casa Tranquilo was extremely pleasant! The staff was super helpful and welcoming and nice overall. The rustic accommodations gave an very cozy feel to the whole stay. If I ever make my way back to Monteverde, I will be staying there again!

I really enjoyed my stay here. The dorm rooms were very spacious, ro was amazing and very helpful with information about the town and genuinely honest about his suggestions touring around. Free breakfast to was awesome and overall great vibes.

• 9th Oct 2014

Loved this place. The staff were awesome!

We were very disappointed about this hostel and wouldn't recommend it for anyone. The staff didn't care much about their guests. We were leaving an early morning and therefore we kept our breakfast in the fridge. In the morning we couldn't get our food because the kitchen was closed - for people who are staying in dorms!! The other guests can use the kitchen anytime which was very unfair treatment. The staff didn't care. The dorms and toilets were not very clean and the showets were cold!

Perfect location, central to bus station, supermarkets & walking distance to many of the activities. We stayed 5 nights in room 5 which is bright airy has a nice view of the valley & a skylight which was wonderful for watching the evening thunderstorms through & a great natural alarm clock. There's a large common room & kitchen with all you need to cater for yourself. Breakfast was fresh & plentiful which was a great way to start the morning, we had no complaints throughly recommend to others.

• 18th Sep 2014

Great hostel, Ro was so welcoming and have us such good advice about which tours we should do telling us which were the best for the money and which we shouldn't bother with! I appreciated his honesty and everything he revcommended was great. Free breakfast was really good - yummy coffee and banana bread! Very friendly atmosphere 😊

Great hostel, awesome staff, delicious breakfast. Estaban at reception was awesome, took us climbing at the strangler tree, full of information and very friendly too. Chilled vibe going on, close to shops. Note, as hostel is all wooden you can hear your neighbours so bring ear plugs.

I loved every minute of staying at casa tranquilo! Ro from reception made our stay a very special and unique one - crazy dude! he was talking a lot but always gave great information about just everything you wanted to know! we didnt find a lot of dishes in the kitchen but we handled it somehow. i thought my bed was very hard but put the bedcover underneath so it was ok. its not right in the city center but only a very quick walk up a little hill. great atmosphere too and tasty free breakfast.

crazy and awesome hostel guy in the morning helps you through everything - breakfast is very good (bananabread pineapple coffee juice.....) - we felt save had warm shower and all trips were organized aby the hostel and functionned perfectly. we booked another night because it is a great spot... eat attreehouse with livemusic go to amigos to dancd and end up in taverna. you will meet all the local guides from canopy and foresttours then....

Nice place, great breakfast!!