Casa do Abacateiro Reviews

Rua Sao Manoel, 30 Botafogo, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I showed up to the hostel on the day of our reservation and the hostel claimed they had not received any information from hostelworld regarding our stay with them. They had therefor given away our room to someone else. The hostel was consequently full and we had to find other accommodations as a result. This is ridiculous given we had a confirmation email and paid a deposit (which I presented to the hostel).

Mainly there was no way to lock your luggage, so if you have valuables they cannot be secured other than in a safe in the back of the property (passports, documents, etc.). If you have a computer or other valuables, they will be sitting in the shared room. The street is somewhat deserted at night, so safety could be a concern for females or inexperienced travelers. The staff was friendly and helpful. Wifi worked very well.

• 26th Jun 2014

I really enjoyed my stay here. The staff is awesome, super friendly. I speak Portuguese but their English is very good! They have great knowledge of the area and give good tips on saving money and seeing the cool stuff. It's right in the middle of Cristo Redentor, Sugarloaf mountain (monte pão de acúcar) and some good beaches. Its also safe and clean as far as hostels go.

• 4th Jun 2014