Castanea Old Town Hostel Reviews

Kindstugatan 1, Old Town, Stockholm, Sweden

Great hostel in a great location, easy to walk to the city as well as other neighbourhoods/islands. Walked past the door when I first arrived so pay attention. I arrived at 2pm and had no problem checking in early. Lots of extension cords in the room (I stayed in the 16 bed dorm) so never a problem finding one. Bathrooms were clean though the water didn't get much better than lukewarm in the showers. Staff let me print a boarding pass with no problems, much appreciated!

Great that you liked the location and other things! We are happy to have the best guests. About the water in the showers. I have now spoken to the landlord, who will fix that right away. Thank you for letting us know! /Kind regards, Cecilia

Very comfortable and really clean hostel. Excellent location.

Small and cozy hostel in a great location in the old town. Not the cheapest, but reasonable for Sweden and the location. Biggest gripe is with staff - they are very nice, and answer phone calls/emails promptly. But their hours are so limited, I believe just two hours before lunch and three hours in the afternoon. It makes it difficult to check in, ask for assistance, and etc. Lower overhead is great, but five hours per day of onsite support is a bit ridiculous.

,Really nicely furnished and decorated. Beds were so comfy. Really enjoyed my stay here.

Perfect location and very very clean!

I really enjoyed my stay in this hostel because it was so nice: you could easily get to know other people, the staff was extraordinary friendly and cared a lot about its guests. The rooms were clean and looked nice. Thanks to the women from the front desk with whom I had a talk on my last morning!

• 17th Oct 2014

This place was amazing! The staff was incredibly welcoming. They gave you everything you could ever need to enjoy your trip for free :) they saw my friend and I were wet from the rain and asked if we needed an umbrella. Such a contrast to many hostels! If i'm ever in Prague again I will DEFINITELY stay here again.

• 16th Oct 2014

If you are on a business trip, this will be a huge disappointment. First you will be tossed into a drafty basement by an arrogant soccer-bro, only because you travel on your own. No doubt, it is clean and the atmosphere is great, but -15C in the early fall is a bit too cold to sleep in. The reason for this, is that the hostel is basically autonomous: the staff ditches clients for all time except 15-19. The walls are paper-thin, and if you are "lucky" with neighbors, they will keep you up.

• 16th Oct 2014
  • Russia

Sorry you were disappointed! Wish you have told us, so we could have helped you and give you another room. Don't be to timid next time :-) Still we do not have any rooms in the basement, but rooms on the ground floor. We have many returning guests who want to stay in the ground floor rooms, since they are calm and really nice rooms.

Great location. In the heart of Old Town, it makes the rest of the city accessible by walk. The hostel was very clean, modern, and had plenty of space. Reception staff is only there for 6 hours a day, which can make it difficult if you need something, but they are very friendly people. Not much atmosphere- was a very quiet hostel. Also, renting sheets, duvet cover, and towel costs about $10. Overall, I would recommend and definitely stay there again.

Very quiet, but so is most of Stockholm, essentially in the Old Town

• 3rd Oct 2014

If you just need a place to sleep for a layover in Stockholm, this place is pretty perfect : located perfectly (you can walk to everywhere from here), cheap and clean !

One of the best hostels I have stayed in. Very cheap compared to Swedish standards, extremely clean, great common kitchen with everything that you can possibly need, extremely friendly stuff.

• 3rd Oct 2014

Everything was excellent. Great cute hostel,Castanea old town hostel, very helpful and super nice front desk personal.

• 2nd Oct 2014
  • Sweden

Great location! Everything very clean! They have a kitchen.. not to many people at the hostel wich was nice. Rooms too small, dificulty to carrie the luggage with weals from de old town streets.... the reception closes early so its kind of complicated if you need anything.

• 30th Sep 2014

Great location and cool to stay in the old town of stockholm.

Perfect location, literally in the centre of the city, clean, quiet and everything went well!not really a hostel for parties, as the city itself i guess!only negative thing, the wifi is not really working in the rooms on the basements!

Excellent hostel with a nice kitchen and lounge area to meet people in. The only downfall was that the internet was not great.

Good hostel but expensive. They should open the reception more hours.

Great location. Helpful staff. Quiet and peaceful space. A mix of ages for guests who stay here. Not a party hostel and really nice to stay in while meeting other travellers. They need more showers and toilet rooms. One of the showers smelled like someone defecated in it, so maybe showers need to be clean more frequently.

The location is great. It takes only a few minutes to walk to the castle, the Nobel museum, the cathedral, the mint museum. A well stocked super market is close by. The hostel staff is very helpful and knowledgable and also sells bus tickets. The bunk beds in my room were made of metal . I slept in the top bed and I could feel and hear the movement of my room mate in the lower bed. I used ear plugs and it helped. For sensitive and mature travelers I would recommend a single room.

• 20th Sep 2014