Castaways Backpackers Cairns Reviews

Po Box 5648, 207 Sheridan Street, Cairns, Australia

Great if you want somewhere quiet to stay, the free pizza night is a good effort from the staff to get everyone to socialise with each other as well as the paid bbq on Sunday's. It's a bit of a walk to downtown but they do offer a shuttle on demand from reception which is good. We stayed the week there was a change of owners and unfortunately there was a bit of a conflict of information about our stay with them but it was otherwise fine.

• 3rd Nov 2015

This was a great place to stay as a base in Cairns. It is quite a walk from the city centre (25 min) especially in the 30C heat! They do operate a shuttle bus into town a few times a day though. I went on day tours to the Reef and Daintree while in Cairns and the tour will pick you up straight from here so that's convenient. I had a double ensure room which was perfect, nice size, impeccably clean and just what I needed. A fridge in your room is a nice touch too. The room was lacking a safe.

• 25th Oct 2015

Lovely stay, quiet and clean

What a great experience and great staff. Very helpful and caring. Their kitchen was very clean and organized. Wifi was working really well.

• 26th Sep 2015

Phenomenal staff! Family atmosphere!

I booked a private room with an ensuite but at the last minute was told they overbooked and I was given a private room without bathroom. They only charged for the room without the ensuite I was disappointed that I was not given what I had booked & there was nothing offered (e.g. discount) as apology for the error, which would had been nice. With saying that the staff were friendly and helpful and the hostel good. Just disappointed about the mixup & last-minute notification.

It's like home. I have insomnia but I could take a deep sleep there. And the "free food fridge" is a good idea. :) I put my pasta sauce at there before I leave.

This place has excellent staff that make you feel very welcomed. There is usually something here to do if you want to meet people and have a couple of drinks. Most of the people people here were long termers when I was there... some more open to meeting new people than others. Facilities were pretty good and clean. Some nights held events like bbq or pizza night that got everyone together. It wasn't a quiet place though, very noisy most nights till around 2am.

Dorothy is a very helpful hostess! Much appreciated. Down side: 30 minute walk to the reef fleet terminal. So either book a pick up service (since castaways did not offer courtesy buses for us in the morning) or Stroll along the esplanade!. Also there is only one socket in our room and it's used for the fridge(a fridge! whoop whoop) so we often have to go to the common area to get electricity and stronger wifi. Other than that it's perfectly fine! :)

• 23rd Jun 2015
  • Hong Kong

Good hostel because it was good price and clean etc however reception is hardly open so when we checked out at 7am I couldn't get my key deposit back! Really noisy till early hours of the morning such as 3am till a few people eventually decided to go out after drinking for hours (byo alcohol)

Originally booked for five nights but ending up staying five/six weeks. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel part of the family. Have made lifelong friends in Adam, Dorothy and Nicky. Couldn't recommend this place any more if I tried! Much love Billy and Jordan x