Castaways Backpackers Cairns Reviews

Po Box 5648, 207 Sheridan Street, Cairns, Australia

It's like home. I have insomnia but I could take a deep sleep there. And the "free food fridge" is a good idea. :) I put my pasta sauce at there before I leave.

This place has excellent staff that make you feel very welcomed. There is usually something here to do if you want to meet people and have a couple of drinks. Most of the people people here were long termers when I was there... some more open to meeting new people than others. Facilities were pretty good and clean. Some nights held events like bbq or pizza night that got everyone together. It wasn't a quiet place though, very noisy most nights till around 2am.

Dorothy is a very helpful hostess! Much appreciated. Down side: 30 minute walk to the reef fleet terminal. So either book a pick up service (since castaways did not offer courtesy buses for us in the morning) or Stroll along the esplanade!. Also there is only one socket in our room and it's used for the fridge(a fridge! whoop whoop) so we often have to go to the common area to get electricity and stronger wifi. Other than that it's perfectly fine! :)

• 23rd Jun 2015
  • Hong Kong

Good hostel because it was good price and clean etc however reception is hardly open so when we checked out at 7am I couldn't get my key deposit back! Really noisy till early hours of the morning such as 3am till a few people eventually decided to go out after drinking for hours (byo alcohol)

• 22nd Jun 2015

Originally booked for five nights but ending up staying five/six weeks. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel part of the family. Have made lifelong friends in Adam, Dorothy and Nicky. Couldn't recommend this place any more if I tried! Much love Billy and Jordan x

Warm and friendly staff, clean and tidy. I would like to recommend it.

• 23rd Apr 2015

I am so happy I switched to Castaways after a few days in one of those hundred bed hostels. People know your face & name. It was about a twenty minute walk in town, but if you can't handle that you shouldn't be traveling. It was super chill, but people ready to go out if you wanted to.

Great hostel, great staff, free WiFi, bit far from the city but they have a lot of shuttle bus runs each day so actually it doesn't really make too much of a difference, right next to shops/pizza hut/bottle-o - very quiet, definitely not a party hostel but you can drink your own alcohol and there are always people around at night to hang out with. Would definitely stay here again if I went back to Cairns.

The hostel is not central, you have to go around 20 min. It is very small with a great family atmosphere. Very clean and fast free wifi. I would come back.