Castillo Surfista Hostel Reviews

Calle Maria Luisa Santander 0329, Santiago, Chile

We had a double room which was really nice and really good value. The hostel has quite a chilled and friendly atmosphere, it feels very safe and the staff are really nice and helpful. Really nice, homely place to stay.

Great hostel, good atmosphere with great staff. Excellent to use as a platform to access the rest of chile

I felt very safe in the hostel & the neighborhood which is apparently one of the safest in Santiago. The location is great, it's so convenient - close to a supermarket, park, only about 10 mins to metro and a little further to Lastarria. The staff were all really friendly and helpful. The place was tidy and clean, no qualms there. Literally the only bad thing I can comment on is the small showers, and shower curtain which sticks to - suggest they get glass walls? Otherwise excellent hostel.

Amazing house (feels like a proper home) in a quiet neighbourhood in one of the best neighbourhoods in Santiago. Great restaurants, bars, supermarket and stores all within an easy walk, metro access within a 5-7 minute walk. Comfy beds, and hostel activities take place on a semi-regular (make our own empanada night was great fun). Thoroughly enjoyed my stay, and would emphatically recommend it to any looking for a social but chill place to stay in the Chilean capital...

Amazing hostel. The staff are incredibly friendly, and very helpful, offering plenty of tips about the city and thinks to do. The hostel is bright, sunny and has a great atmosphereatmosphere, very homey. Definitely stay here.

• 30th Jul 2015

Lovely, friendly little hostel in a really nice area of Santiago, quiet but close to everything. It really feels like a house not a hostel and I felt comfortable here straight away. It's clean and cosy and has everything you need. The only issue was that as a big breakfast eater, two pieces of toast isn't really enough for me and the whole breakfast setup didn't make it feel like you could help yourself to more. Other than that tiny quibble, I absolutely recommend this hostel!

Thanks for the compliments!! For breakfast we offer fruit, yogurt, coffee, hot chocolate along with either toasted waffles and jam or toasted bread and cheese. If you ask and the hostel is not absolutely full, we will give you extra bread or waffles no problem. Like most hostels, if we offered unlimited everything for breakfast we´d honestly have to raise prices or we´d go out of business :( Safe travels!!!

The hostel itself is great, a big house with spacious rooms and lots of common areas. Duke the dog is lovely. The staff are mainly unpaid fellow travellers and paid much more attention to the semi-permanent residents. They were therefore not that knowledgable and passing guests weren't made to feel that welcome. The breakfast is odd (American waffles) and is very rationed. The house itself is very cool though and location is great. Also the cleaning lady was excellent, very friendly too.

Thanks for the compliments!! Although your comment about the staff is a bit confusing. We try to make everyone feel welcome and like all hostels, we sometimes have guests that are sociable and some that aren´t. Its only natural that guests that stay longer get to know the staff better, but that definitely does not mean you can´t join in on the activities. You are the first to describe toasted blueberry waffles as odd :). Safe travels!

The hostel was really nice. Even there was a shared bathroom, it was clean. Although the location is a little bit outside, it is not far to the next metrostation. You can also walk about 30 min to the downtown, which is through a really nice park. Pancakes for breakfast! ;)

Thanks for the compliments!! Safe Travels!!

Excellent hostel with a very homely feel, wish we could have stayed for longer!

Thanks for the compliments! Safe Travels!!

Stayed here twice and really enjoyed my stay. The staff are helpful and Duke the dog is amazing!!! The hostel attracts a good group of sociable travellers which was good fun. The only thing for me was how BAD the WiFi was!

Thanks for your comments!! Just to let you know the internet has been fixed and we even have a signal bouncer so it works on the entire property :)

Relaxed, chill hostel. I stayed here for over two weeks while I was looking for an apartment in Chile. While the hostel holds some 20 people, 90% of the time it felt like only 5 were there given the unique space and common areas. It's still easy to met people but if you want some peace and quiet this is a good place to stay. The neighborhood is residential, it's definitely not a party hostel, and it feels more like a shared house than a hostel.

The eggo waffle breakfast was a nice touch. Castillo Surfista was a really nice, chill hostel. Beds were very comfortable and the heaters kept us warm. Large kitchen, hot showers, cool dog, and really sweet staff make this hostel a great value in Santiago. A short, pleasant walk to Metro makes getting anywhere pretty easy.

Thanks so much for the compliments. We´re very flattered!!! Safe travels!!!

Really nice hostel. Good staff and atmosphere. Beds were very comfortable but the hostel was a bit on the cold side. The location is great, close to metro, supermarket and Plaza Italia. Would stay again.

This place is NOT comfortable and OVERVALUED. The shower was not working in my dorm, i had to go to the main building - crossing the garden (very easy isn't?), where there is only 1 shower for everyone (!) ; inevitable the queue in the morning ! There was NO MICROWAVER in the kitchen (nevertheless a basic for backpackers !), breakfast is: rationed, bad quality, ugly waffle. Everything was bad quality or broken such as my bed's scale. NO HEATER in my dorm : so cold inside in winter.

It seems to be a house turned into a hostel so feels quite homely. It is in a residential area so good if you want a quiet night's sleep but maybe not so much if you want to be with the parties. Good kitchen and common area and when we were there everyone was very friendly.

I have nothing negative to say about this hostel! It was really relaxed, the staff were extremely kind and welcoming and I felt like I was at a friend's house rather than a hostel. Hope you guys enjoyed the pisco!

Castillo was an awesome stay for my travel. It was the cleanest place I´ve been on Santiago and the staff were just sweethearts helping me out with my no-spanish problems (!). There was a brazilian girl that even tho when she was not working she was available to give advices on my language! Awesome!

• 5th May 2015

Good location near the bars and restaurants in Bellavista. Staff were super friendly and gave us good recommendations on where to go in the evenings. Overall a good atmosphere and a fun hostel, and Duke is one of the funniest dogs we've met on this trip - even if you don't get to see him skateboarding.

Nice hostel, good location, clean and friendly staff. Beds are very comfy! Bit cheeky that you are charged to use the kitchen or showers after check out, first time we had seen a something like this - eapecially since the kitchen isn't that great.

Thanks for the compliments! We only charge a small fee if you use the gas stove or hot water AFTER CHECKOUT as gas in Chile is very expensive. Its very common in most hostels. Safe travels!

awesome hostel, very friendly people and i felt welcome strait away, as a solo traveller that is important! made some great connections here and would recommend to everyone. Only thing that could improve is breakfast, other than that all good!