Castillo Surfista Hostel Reviews

Calle Maria Luisa Santander 0329, Santiago, Chile

Lovely, friendly little hostel in a really nice area of Santiago, quiet but close to everything. It really feels like a house not a hostel and I felt comfortable here straight away. It's clean and cosy and has everything you need. The only issue was that as a big breakfast eater, two pieces of toast isn't really enough for me and the whole breakfast setup didn't make it feel like you could help yourself to more. Other than that tiny quibble, I absolutely recommend this hostel!

The hostel itself is great, a big house with spacious rooms and lots of common areas. Duke the dog is lovely. The staff are mainly unpaid fellow travellers and paid much more attention to the semi-permanent residents. They were therefore not that knowledgable and passing guests weren't made to feel that welcome. The breakfast is odd (American waffles) and is very rationed. The house itself is very cool though and location is great. Also the cleaning lady was excellent, very friendly too.

The hostel was really nice. Even there was a shared bathroom, it was clean. Although the location is a little bit outside, it is not far to the next metrostation. You can also walk about 30 min to the downtown, which is through a really nice park. Pancakes for breakfast! ;)

Excellent hostel with a very homely feel, wish we could have stayed for longer!

Thanks for the compliments! Safe Travels!!

Stayed here twice and really enjoyed my stay. The staff are helpful and Duke the dog is amazing!!! The hostel attracts a good group of sociable travellers which was good fun. The only thing for me was how BAD the WiFi was!

Thanks for your comments!! Just to let you know the internet has been fixed and we even have a signal bouncer so it works on the entire property :)

Relaxed, chill hostel. I stayed here for over two weeks while I was looking for an apartment in Chile. While the hostel holds some 20 people, 90% of the time it felt like only 5 were there given the unique space and common areas. It's still easy to met people but if you want some peace and quiet this is a good place to stay. The neighborhood is residential, it's definitely not a party hostel, and it feels more like a shared house than a hostel.

The eggo waffle breakfast was a nice touch. Castillo Surfista was a really nice, chill hostel. Beds were very comfortable and the heaters kept us warm. Large kitchen, hot showers, cool dog, and really sweet staff make this hostel a great value in Santiago. A short, pleasant walk to Metro makes getting anywhere pretty easy.

Thanks so much for the compliments. We´re very flattered!!! Safe travels!!!

Really nice hostel. Good staff and atmosphere. Beds were very comfortable but the hostel was a bit on the cold side. The location is great, close to metro, supermarket and Plaza Italia. Would stay again.

This place is NOT comfortable and OVERVALUED. The shower was not working in my dorm, i had to go to the main building - crossing the garden (very easy isn't?), where there is only 1 shower for everyone (!) ; inevitable the queue in the morning ! There was NO MICROWAVER in the kitchen (nevertheless a basic for backpackers !), breakfast is: rationed, bad quality, ugly waffle. Everything was bad quality or broken such as my bed's scale. NO HEATER in my dorm : so cold inside in winter.

It seems to be a house turned into a hostel so feels quite homely. It is in a residential area so good if you want a quiet night's sleep but maybe not so much if you want to be with the parties. Good kitchen and common area and when we were there everyone was very friendly.

I have nothing negative to say about this hostel! It was really relaxed, the staff were extremely kind and welcoming and I felt like I was at a friend's house rather than a hostel. Hope you guys enjoyed the pisco!

Castillo was an awesome stay for my travel. It was the cleanest place I´ve been on Santiago and the staff were just sweethearts helping me out with my no-spanish problems (!). There was a brazilian girl that even tho when she was not working she was available to give advices on my language! Awesome!

• 5th May 2015

Good location near the bars and restaurants in Bellavista. Staff were super friendly and gave us good recommendations on where to go in the evenings. Overall a good atmosphere and a fun hostel, and Duke is one of the funniest dogs we've met on this trip - even if you don't get to see him skateboarding.

Nice hostel, good location, clean and friendly staff. Beds are very comfy! Bit cheeky that you are charged to use the kitchen or showers after check out, first time we had seen a something like this - eapecially since the kitchen isn't that great.

Thanks for the compliments! We only charge a small fee if you use the gas stove or hot water AFTER CHECKOUT as gas in Chile is very expensive. Its very common in most hostels. Safe travels!

awesome hostel, very friendly people and i felt welcome strait away, as a solo traveller that is important! made some great connections here and would recommend to everyone. Only thing that could improve is breakfast, other than that all good!

Small, friendly hostel with nice patio and amiable dog. Location good, close to metro and walking distance to supermarket, bars, cafes etc and on a quiet street in a nice part of town.

Thanks for the compliments! Safe Travels!!

Awesome staff, super friendly and helpful, cool mix of guests, nice rooms and clean bathrooms. Internet is pretty slow and the floors upstairs creak with every step, but after you've had a couple of pisco sours the beds are super comfy and you don't hear a thing. Quiet location and a noise curfew, but still walking distance to party areas. A lucky last minute find.

• 31st Mar 2015

Cool hostel with good atmosphere. Good kitchen and spacious rooms. Staff are very chilled. Would definitely stay again.

The staff is extremely helpful and welcoming (I even got a hug goodbye from one of the receptionists on my way out!). I stayed three nights and came back for two more. They don't advertise 24-hr check in, but I had a late flight and they were more than willing to accommodate me. Located in a very nice, chill neighborhood, extremely close to the metro and bus lines.They are by no means a party hostel, but they also aren't so strict as to keep you from having fun. I will definitely be back here!

We stayed in the double room which was huge! We had a balcony looking out onto a quiet, sunny street. The location was great - so close to lots of lovely little areas, a big supermarket and the subway too. We weren't in the party bit, though - that was just a short walk away. The one disadvantage was the wifi, which was intermittent to the point of frustration. Regardless, we tried to stay again when we returned to Santiago - unfortunately, they were full. Nice place :)