Castle Rock Hostel Reviews

15 Johnston Terrrace, Edinburgh, Scotland

The hostel was very nice and we enjoyed staying there. The only problem is that the sheets are dirty.

• 15th Oct 2014

The bedroom and the public bathrooms weren't very clean. I would be better to let each guest make his own bed and give him a set of sheets on his arrival. Like that he can be sure that he's the first to use it...

• 15th Oct 2014

excellent location, kind staffs, free wifi. I enjoyed a wonderful stay here.

This place is great; quirky & thoughtful at the same time, the guest gets a bit extra.

Great hostel! Friendly, beautiful location, laid-back, no stupid extra charges. Only minus was that the building was very sound, but I guess staying in a historic old house comes at a price.

The location is in the city centre, near Edingurgh Castle, however the way up to other touristic spots is very sloping. Some toillets were durty and the kitchen was filthy!!!! Some receptionists were not very friendly. The room is good and clean.

• 11th Oct 2014

One of the best hostels I have visited. Huge place, but lots of room to relax, meet people, and prepare for adventures in Scotland. Very crowded kitchens, due to the number of folks that live there long-term, but staff do a great job trying to keep it clean. I especially like how early in the morning bathrooms and showers were cleaned, and breakfast was cheap and plentiful!

Couldn't get a private and the girls in the room when we got in had the window wide open and the heater at full blast. Near a pub and the people at the desk wouldn't do anything for the people smoking and talking loudly outside the front door after 10pm so hard to sleep. Breakfast of bread and cereal and juice wasn't worth the 1.50 when the same thing is free at other places. This is a hostel for university students; as an adult I felt very out of place though the music was generally good.

• 10th Oct 2014

Stayed in the female 12 bed dorm and have no complaints. Room was spacious. Individual lockers were large enough to fit valuables in. Did not feel that 11 other people were sleeping in the same room. Side light would be nice for individual bed spaces. Bathroom was unisex shower area, always found clean along with the toilets. Kitchen and lounges areas were spacious. Free tea was a lovely extra - especially after the hilly walks. Would definately stay again :)

• 8th Oct 2014

As soon as you step out of the front door you get a great view of Edinburgh Castle. It's right off the Royal Mile, the beds have power, the lounges were great, and they did my laundry for me for a fraction of what a launderette would! I'd definitely recommend this place if you're staying in Edinburgh. The only cons: the lockers have keys, so you can't use your own padlock, and some of the locker keys can jam. Some corners of the room had a hostel funk smell. Overall, would stay again though!

Can't wait to come back again ,

Just a few minutes walk from Edinburgh castle. Staffs were friendly. The only disadvantage was that water in the bathroom on our floor was not hot enough (but the other floor's was fine). It's a huge hostels but facilities are quite enough so it's fine.

That was probably my best hostel experience ever. I very join every minute what I spend there.

Enjoyed stay since it was a very warm and homely atmosphere, Hostel was very clean and staff was very helpful. Also liked the big common rooms and the wide range of different people and nationalities.

Very good ~

Me and my husband stayed here for one night and we could really enjoy the place! I stayed in a lot of hostels and I can say this is one of the best. The location is perfect, very clean, friendly staff and the hostel is massive with different lounge rooms to do whatever you want, the kitchen is massive and you can cook anything. The breakfast is not included but for £1.50 you can have a very good breakfast. There is also any information you need to travel around Scotland. We loved this place.

Good location great price

• 30th Sep 2014
  • Thailand

Ett underbart hostel!

Amazing hostel, will definitely come back. Kitchen facilities are huge and awesome, rooms clean. Beds not the 100% comfiest but they do the job. Staff are friendly, and the many lounges are really well set up! Dont go anywhere else!

• 28th Sep 2014

I would highly recommend staying here and I know if I was ever returning to Edinburgh this is exactly where I will stay..the staff were amazing and really did go above and beyond to help

• 26th Sep 2014