Castle Rock Hostel Reviews

15 Johnston Terrrace, Edinburgh, Scotland

Location is quite good! I love the dining room is really cosy and warm ! Especially the night view is really good!

• 16th Dec 2014
  • Taiwan

This hostel is in the very center of the city, close to the castle and the "royal mile". Friendly staff and enjoyable atmosphere!

While there were more small things to pay for like breakfast and things like that, I don't feel like they were trying to just make a profit. It was a great hostel and if I go to Edinburgh again I will try and stay there.

The bed is so dirty,but the location is wonderful!

• 14th Dec 2014
  • China

Lovely and stylish hostel and good location for accessing tourists attractions. However if you have a large luggage with you will be a disaster, especially when climbing up the hill to the hostel.

Castle Rock Hostel is in an absolutely great location (right next to the Edinburgh Castle), the building feels safe and is filled with interesting and quirky pieces of art, the facilities are clean, and the staff are friendly. I only stayed here for one night but it was a comfortable and enjoyable stay.

Great stay, the location was amazing, right under the castle. Sleep was a bit tough because it was a saturday night and you could hear some locals having a good time but that's just part of the fun!

• 13th Dec 2014

Brilliant hostel layout with lots of different common rooms for different purposes (music, study, talking etc). Lockers were provided and were big enough to store all my valuables. Perhaps what let the atmosphere down a little was that there are some longer-term residents (6 months ) so things actually felt a little bit cliquey...

The staff was friendly, the people staying there were not. Luckily my roommates were nice though. The place was clean

시설도 깔끔하고 직원들도 좋으나 위치가 너무 언덕이에요ㅠㅠ 짐 갖고 갔다 내려가는데 정말 고생했어요 아 그리고 건물 내 리프트도 없어서 짐 가지고 낑낑 대며 올라갔네요ㅠㅜ 하지만!! 밖에 풍경이라던가 조식 가격 등 엄청 좋아요 위치가 세인트자일스성당이라던가 가깝고 로열마일도 가까워서 그런지 에든버러에 온 느낌을 팍팍 줘서 좋았어요

• 10th Dec 2014
  • South Korea

Due to Long-term residents, kitchen was a bit over crowded, no place in the fridge. Common room was nice, good atmosphere. No bed frames around for support on upper bunks, which isn't very safe. Location, it's below Endiburgh Castle, so it's on a hill. You guys figure out if it's a good place or not. You are able to store your luggage after check-out so that's great.

• 8th Dec 2014
  • South Korea

The hostel is in a huge old house and has many common rooms, so one can chose to have a calmer or livelier evening, according to one’s own mood. Dorms have plenty of space, lockers are available and the bunks are sturdy and comfortable. Location is excellent, right next to the castle and the Royal Mile. The individual showers are clean and practical. Staff is nice and there are many suggestions of day trips and current events on the walls of the common rooms. Would definitely stay there again.

Nice place, big kitchen, nice lounge. Internet freely distributed. But bathrooms and showers should be cleaned more often. There are dust from a long time at the pipes.

Really great hostel had a great time

• 5th Dec 2014

I definitely recommend Castle Rock Hostel. The location is amazing, right across the castle in the heart of the city. Staff is friendly. The hostel is clean and tidy. Whenever I am back in Edinburgh I know where I am going to stay =)

Good Hostel, but the girl in reception should ask what bed (top pr botton) you prefer, because you can't choose your bed.

While efficiency slowed down with four of us checking in on one reservation, we all loved our stay. We felt safe, the location was amazing, the beds were comfy, things were clean, ect. I think if any of us come back to Edinburgh we will DEFINITELY be staying at Castle Rock again.

• 29th Nov 2014

This hostel made me feel at home literally the second I walked in. I was travelling alone and quickly felt as if i wasnt. The staff were all awesome, and everyone staying at the hostel were super cool! Would highly recommend this place and if I go back to Edinburgh I would for sure stay here again!

• 29th Nov 2014

Overall a nice experience and outstanding location but smelly, dusty and dirty to my standards (rooms and corridors)

I had a great 3 nights here, made all the more better by the great staff- always making a big effort to be attentive, helpful and friendly. The location is fantastic, right in the old town just next to the castle plus super close to the infamous grass markets. And free tea, coffee and hot chocolate! What's not to love

• 28th Nov 2014