Castle Rock Hostel Reviews

15 Johnston Terrrace, Edinburgh, Scotland

Best Hostel in scotland!!

This hostel was awesome! The staff were really energetic and great and the pub crawl was a great way to see the nightlife in Edinburgh and get to know other hostel residents. The location is amazing with a direct line view of the castle. Everything you need is in walking distance and the imenities are plentiful and kept clean. There are several rooms and a big kitchen where you can get away and chill at or meet plenty of people. I would definitely stay here again!

Bed could've been more comfortable. Nice atmosphere, good for meeting people. The pub crawl wasn't perhaps that great.. The drinks offers could've been better. Good free wifi and tea and coffee.

The pub crawl organised by the hostel not only got u cheap drink but also ensured u met so many awesome people. I stayed in a mixed dorm and it was perfect. Centrally located, with great pubs and attractions nearby, it kinda is the best hostel around!!

Easily the best hostel I've ever stayed at, the staff were fantastic and the facilities were off the chart. The place is practically Hogwarts.

• 24th Jun 2015

Who's to say JK didn't write the book here? I'm calling it. We are Hogwarts. Thanks mate!

Freindly.staff and.awesome location just beside the castle. Two thumbds up, i highly recommend it.

I thought the whole vibe of the place was amazing, with all the rooms (at least in my floor) had a theme to them. The beds weren't the most comfy, but I only stayed one night and had a great sleep and experience regardless. Everything was clean and tidy, and everyone I talked to, staff included, were very friendly and helpful :)

• 23rd Jun 2015
  • Scotland

Thanks for your kind words pal, come back any time!

Very nice and helpfull staff. We stayed only for one night and unfortunatley we got the room at the top of the hostel. Meaning we got a very small room with a double bed that just fitted between the walls of the room. The room had a slantwise roof, luckily we are not so tall but we had to bend our heads to get in the bed. There were no elevator so we had to carry our heavy suitcases up the stairs. Though the decoration and atmosphere were nice and fun names of the rooms.

Very friendly and helpful staff, great location, the physical structure the hostel cool be better. New mattress and sheets and pillow cold be new. Apart from that I loved my stay :)

• 22nd Jun 2015

It was a pleasant stay!

• 22nd Jun 2015
  • Taiwan

By far, best hostel I've stayed in. My things were never touched. The place is situated next to s castle and easy access to hot spots.

• 21st Jun 2015

Overall a very good hostel. No major complaints, however the beds were very hard and their was no outlets in the washroom (I saw several people drying their hair in the stair well), I would also suggest maybe updated the quilts (mine had a couple of nasty stains), but I did notice that the sheets were diligently changed which I appreciated. Good location with quick access to basically everywhere you want to go. Overall an excellent hostel for the price.

We replaced half of our mattresses this week, the rest of them should arrive within the next few days. These have an extra comfort sheet as well, so hopefully everyone will get their beauty sleep! Unfortunately our hands are tied with the power outlets - in the UK it's illegal to have them in bathrooms. We must protect the morons! Thanks for your review though I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. -John

Our favorite hostel we've been to! The place is huge and there are so many people to meet here. The staff was amazing and very helpful. Not a bad thing to say about the place. We loved it!!

Fantastic hostel. It is very big, so as a solo traveler is was a bit harder to find others that wanted to do things together of all of he lounges, but there ere activities every night and discounts for pub crawls others. I can't complain,. It great stay.

Really enjoyed my stay here. Had a very laid back and relaxing feel to it. Wifi was hit or miss. Staff were super friendly and helpful. Lockers in rooms and plenty of bathrooms. My only complaint would be that there wasn't an elevator.

Clean rooms, showers, bathrooms, etc. Comfortable environment and comfortable rooms. The beds were really nice. I had a really strange encounter with a member of staff though, and it really was very off-putting. I was really surprised at how unprofessional this one person was, because the rest of the staff seemed so friends and normal.

Thanks a lot for your feedback - I'm sorry you had a bad experience, I've sent you an e-mail to follow up on that. -John

Amazing place to stay! Wish i could go back! Everything was the best!

Thanks buddy, come back again soon!

Really easy to find and in a great location. Right next to the Royal Mile but still quite and not super busy. The staff was really friendly and helpful and the bed was clean and comfortable. I also really enjoyed the themes throughout the hostel. Definitely recommend.

• 18th Jun 2015

Great staff, friendly patrons, lots of character at this hostel

I stayed in a 12-bed all-female room. It was an excellent opportunity to meet a lot of fellow travelers, and actually wasn't too noisy at night. Exceptionally good: - Friendly atmosphere which is good for meeting people - Free pub crawl on Thursday nights (entertaining even if you don't drink) - No hidden fees A little off-putting: - Housekeeping took my towel (but gave it back) - Had to leave £10 refundable deposit or photo ID to get my key - Amount due at checkin paid in local currency

• 17th Jun 2015

Thanks for your review, I'm glad you had a good time with us! Yes, you have to watch out for the Towel Elves. Anything not on a bed or a hook they tend to gobble up/take to the laundry. The key deposit is standard practice and is mentioned in our terms and conditions - for each bed we generally have three keys (door, locker & safe) so you can appreciate the cost incurred when they go missing. I'm afraid our hands are tied with the local currency, the banks aren't too fond of dollars! -John

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7