Castle Rock Hostel Reviews

15 Johnston Terrrace, Edinburgh, Scotland

Great hostel in a great location. 3 minute walk away from Edinburgh castle, only a couple minutes from Royal Mile and approximately 10 minute walk to New Town (Princes Street). Staff were friendly. There was a small mixup with overbooking a couple beds, but they dealt with it and provided a free breakfast the next morning. Would definitely recommend this hostel for people travelling to Edinburgh.

• 20th Feb 2015

Castle Rock is one of the nicest hostels I've stayed at. Everything was clean and spacious and the kitchen is well equipped. The atmosphere in the hostel was great - it was mostly young travelers staying there (unlike in many other places, nobody abused the hostel as a cheap permanent home), which made me feel really comfortable and made it easy to get to know nice and like-minded people. On top, the staff was very friendly - and especially one of the guys was very handsome! One more + argument

The bedrooms are really charming but small! In anything else, nothing to complain about it. Good location, friendly staff and good toilets as well.

Rooms, accommodations, bathrooms and breakfast are great, but I would recommend them to change mattresses, that are quite old, and it is quite difficult to sleep well, as the bed base is just a big wooden board!

• 14th Feb 2015

Great Hostel! The position is super usefull! The vibe is amazing as well as the people! Yo can easily fell like at home!

Great hostel, well located, with a lot of spaces to socialize and even a piano room!! The medieval decoration gives it a really cool touch. They even organize free pub crowlings. There's always someone at the recepción. The room we got was pretty and clean but not big. The heat was always on so it was too hot, fortunately we had a window. Showers are fine and your stuff won't get wet. Summarizing I recommend it!

Awesome location. Helpful staff. Enjoyed our private room.

Excellent. We're glad you enjoyed your stay! -CastleRock

This hostel is great! It is cozy, it has a warm atmospheere, the staff are nice and always available, the views from the hostel are great since it is right beneath the castle. I don't know all the other hostels in Edinburgh but this one puts the bar really all the way up. I don't see how you can beat that...

• 7th Feb 2015
  • Portugal

The location was excellent and the rooms were first class. Check in was a disaster. We were a group over for sight seeing. Immediately we were classed as a stag and the people at reception were not friendly and seemed to be thrown. This was not a great start and threw some of the group who were most unhappy with check in. The location and the facilities more than made up for this though.

• 7th Feb 2015

Hi, Thanks for your feedback - you guys were great, we're glad you enjoyed your stay. As per our terms and conditions all bookings of six or more people must be approved by a manager. As your group made multiple separate bookings on a Saturday night without contacting us prior, you can understand why our staff were trepidatious. -CastleRock

The good internet, hot showers, most staff were friendly, lots of common rooms and great location The bad - showers have no where to put your toiletries, 4 bed mixed dorm I was in was tiny, one girl at the front desk was quite rude when asking for us to show our slip to get into the hostel at night Guys running the pub crawl seemed a bit lame and sarcastic at times

The location was amazing, the staff were not very helpful at one point, but they did recommend places to visit etc and let me use the internet on their computer

Everything was amazing in this hostel, we had a great stay and we met really nice people.

I freaking loved the atmosphere, the staff was really nice and welcoming every day of my stay. Location was just the best ever, just two minutes down the hill from Castle Rock. EXCELLENT VALUE.

• 30th Jan 2015
  • Nicaragua

So great! The young and vibrant atmosphere was SO great. The staff had tons of tips of where to go and what to do - Since they are guests at the hostel too! Everything was really clean and full kitchen to use. Had Robert Burns night there - GREAT time!! Right in the old city too so a short walk from all the great spots. I would 100% recommend this place!

Best hostel I've been to yet. Atmosphere is fantastic with big old rooms full of comphy couches. Fire is lit every night, two movies showen in their own diy cinema every night. Pub crawls, beer pong and pool tournaments also on most nights.. Staff and facilities all 10/10.. Will definitely be back.

• 28th Jan 2015

Amazing and friendly staff!!!!! :)

Hostel was ok. Nice staff.

very good great location, 20 seconds to the castle

Twenty seconds is a leisurely stroll, I reckon you could make in 5 if you canter! -CastleRock

I thought the Castlerock was a great place to stay in Edinburgh aside from a few minor complaints. For example, the lockers were a bit smaller than other places I've stayed at and could not fit larger bags. Also the staff was very kind and friendly but did not work as hard to help me with difficulties as I would have liked. Also I think the baggage storing could have had individual lockers to make it safer. Otherwise a secure, comfortable and unique hostel!

• 23rd Jan 2015

Great hostel with a great location. I had a great time and would love to go visit again in the future.

• 22nd Jan 2015

Thanks a lot - we're glad you enjoyed your stay. -CastleRock

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7