Castle Rock Hostel Reviews

very good great location, 20 seconds to the castle

• 23rd Jan 2015
  • China
  • All Male Group, 18-24

I thought the Castlerock was a great place to stay in Edinburgh aside from a few minor complaints. For example, the lockers were a bit smaller than other places I've stayed at and could not fit larger bags. Also the staff was very kind and friendly but did not work as hard to help me with difficulties as I would have liked. Also I think the baggage storing could have had individual lockers to make it safer. Otherwise a secure, comfortable and unique hostel!

• 23rd Jan 2015

Great hostel with a great location. I had a great time and would love to go visit again in the future.

• 22nd Jan 2015

Nice hostel. We booked a double room and enjoyed a pleasant stay in a tiny but nice room. Just the cold shower in the morning due to limited supply of hot water was a bit disturbing.

A bit more cleaner bathrooms on the 1st floor are needed. Just like you guys have it on the top floor.

• 19th Jan 2015
  • India

Amazing hostel. One of the best I've ever been too.. I would highly recommend!!

• 16th Jan 2015

Good hostel. Nice atmosphere, although rooms are a little small. Excellent location - literally can't be closer to the castle. Good facilities and common areas on the ground floor.

It's a nice hostal and their localization is awesome, so close to the Castle!!! I would recommend with the eyes closed to those ones who want to stay there...everything was good but they should give breakfast,,,

I really enjoyed my staying! Just two little suggestions. Consider adding some personal lights in every bed, especially in big rooms because it is difficult to decide for all when the lights will be on and off without disturbing anyone. And second, my room was quite chilly. Maybe you could something about that too. But thanks for all! It was a really unexpectedly good experience living in the Castle Rock Hostel.

My stay at the Castle Rock Hostel was so much better than expected when I first saw the price. The location couldn't be better and the people working there are relaxed but clearly knowledgeable; they suggested a variety of places to see and things to do during my brief stay in Edinburgh.

• 12th Jan 2015

Very much enjoyed staying at the hostel and would stay again. The bed matress was a bit thin but I slept fine. The film room with a projector was excellent the breakfast cheap and tasty and I was really impressed with all the social space (3 different large rooms). The staff and other people staying there were very friendly which was great as I was traveling alone. The location is perfect for exploring the city - Right near the castle

Overall it was a good experience. The facilities were great, the staff were friendly, bathrooms were perhaps not remarkably clean, but sufficiently so. Above all it is a great location and worth the money. The art also creates a great atmosphere.

• 9th Jan 2015
  • New Zealand

Thanks for the feedback - we'll pass it onto our cleaning team! -CastleRock

Everything was impeccable, really cheap and worth hostel... Location is perfect, friendly staff and they even have spanish speakers, pretty close to the grassmarket and shops, pretty view and cozy living room breakfast was pretty basic tho but for I consider it good for the price... I'll probably stay again someday xx!!..

• 6th Jan 2015
  • Mexico

Thanks a lot - we're looking at expanding our breakfast options, hopefully we'll see you again soon! -CastleRock

I really enjoyed my stay here! Great location and very friendly staff! Whenever I end up staying in Edinburgh again this is where ill stay. The lockers were to small to fit my pack but big enough for a smaller day bag. The wifi also worked real well.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay! See you next time!

perfect. this is sth you should not miss.

glad to hear you enjoyed it! come back again :-)

A really vibrant hostel with everyone helping out each other by sharing stuff they didnt need. The kitchen is large enough and the dining rooms and the lounge are places where you can meet people. Also there are computers for hire if you dont have one. The hostel also takes care of little things like board games, breakfast, printouts etc. The only complaint I have is that the wifi was slow and the second heater in my room didnt work.

Thanks a lot for your review, we've expanded our internet - next time it should be a lot faster! -CastleRock

I could only stay one night, and it was a pity. Very welcoming staff and facilities. I was in a 12 bed dorm, but it was still nice and spacious. Provided with a bedside locker and safe for valuables, free luggage storage before check in and after check out, and complimentary tea and coffee in an open lounge.

We're glad you enjoyed your stay, hopefully we'll see you next time!

Stayed here over a weekend. "Powerful showers" are promised on the hostel's website - they lived up to expectations on Friday but for the remainder of our stay, the water flow was poor or non-existent on the upper floors. I brought this to the attention of the staff who advised me to trek several floors down as the water pressure was better on the lower floors! It was but still wasn't great. Staff didn't seem bothered about the problem. Hopefully, this was a one-off occurrence.

Hi there, so sorry there was an interruption to the water supply on your level. Luckily this was a short-lived problem, but we apologise for it affecting your stay. We hope you otherwise enjoyed your visit to Edinburgh.

This place has a brilliant location, excellent kitchen and common room facilities and such chirpy, happy and helpful staff! All the rooms had lockers and there were heaps of showers and toilets so never any waiting for people to finish! Really good value for money. Definitely somewhere I will return to!

Thanks for your feedback, we're glad you had a good time!

Lovely hostel!! The location is very good. The view of the hostel is the castle! Almost neighbour with the castle. The staff are very friendly and funny. The rooms and also the bathrooms/toilet are clean. There are common rooms in the hostel with a very good atmosphere. There are also kitchens available, so if you want you can cook! The tea/coffee/hot chocolate are free and good;)

• 31st Dec 2014