Castle Rock Hostel Reviews

15 Johnston Terrrace, Edinburgh, Scotland

Had such a lovely time at Castle Rock, staff were always so friendly and helpful and there was a lovely atmosphere throughout the place. Met loads of people from all over the world! Perfect location too.Bedroom was really clean and the hostel had everything you could need.

• 25th Oct 2015

I had a wonderful stay! The staff were so welcoming, knowledgeable, and helpful!

• 25th Oct 2015

We think you were pretty great as well. Thanks for being a joy to stay with! Hopefully we'll see you again :)

Fantastic hostel. Good bedrooms, clean toilets/washrooms and great common areas. Breakfast (1.5 pounds) is quite good in terms of quality/price. Probably the best hostel in Edinburgh

Thanks for a lot for your review pal, there's many a hostel in Edinburgh so we're pretty happy with that. Slàinte!

Great stay as usual, Always stay here when i come to edinburgh & always recommending it to friends and family who travel to edinburgh too

Much appreciated, let us know via e-mail when you're in town next and we'll look after you. It was good seeing you again!

Very friendly staff and people. Recommended!

• Spain

Thanks mate, see you next time!

The staff was so friendly and the lobby and the rooms were very cool. There's a lot of lounges to chill out like, like an Internet lounge and a music lounge, definitely something for everyone. The hostel was in a great location and we didn't have to walk far to get to the things we wanted. All in all, this hostel was amazing and if I come back to Edinburgh I will definitely stay here again!

• 24th Oct 2015

Thanks so much for your review - we live here as well so it's in our best interest to make it a fun place :)

More forks in the kitchen

This was a great hostel! Only about 10-15 minutes away from the Edinburgh train station and 5 minutes from the Royal mile or the castle. Staff was really nice, helped to point out all the places we should visit during our short stay. The hostel provides lockers next to or under each bed and you don't have to bring your own lock. The view from our room included the castle plus the school that JK Rowling used for inspiration for Hogwarts! If you are going to stay in Edinburgh, stay here.

The main selling points are the location and the lounges which are lovely. The rooms are a little small but pretty standard for a hostel. It was nice that they had lockers with built in locks so you don't have to remember to bring your own padlock. My only complaint was there seemed to be an issue with toilets being flushed. I'd recommend simply putting up a 'press firmly' sign by the flusher checking them more regularly.

Hello! Thanks a lot for your feedback, I'm not sure too many people get to wake up at the foot of a castle; we definitely lucked out. We'll look into the toilets and sort it out. Thanks a lot!

I loved my stay. You guys have found the magic balance of a laid-back, friendly and cooperative atmosphere, with some really impressive coordination and organisation to ensure that the many spaces and facilities around the hostel run around the clock and stay invitingly spick-and-span. The variety of chill out spaces and the spacious kitchen were also a huge plus! If you are a young, sociable party going type of person, this place is perfect. It was a little noisy for me, but still good value.

Best staff around. Go on the free Thursday night pub crawl!

awesome all around. pretty much perfect for everything a backpacker is looking for in a place. common areas are hoppin, good sized rooms with lockers, perfect location. bathrooms are what you'd expect in a dorm.

Excellently run hostel. Quite large but really nice building and still pretty easy to meet people if you try. Their Thursday night pub crawls are awesome and FREE! The staff were definitely over the top, always helpful, cheery and knowledgeable (even for late night munchie spots). Would definitely stay again!

Hello! Thanks a lot for your review mate, it's great to hear you enjoyed your time with us. Pub Crawl is great fun, we don't charge for it obviously so our only motive is to ensure everyone has a good time. See you again some time!

AMAZING SHOWERS!! The room we were in was nice. 14 bed mixed dorm. The staff was really great too! BUT!!! The room we were in (Scottish Menu) the window didn't close right so there was a draft and it was cold! Also the mattresses aren't very comfortable. BUT I've had worse.

Thanks for your feedback! We'll check out the window xoxo

Super location, large common areas and a huge kitchen.

Ideal location and brilliant views from the rooms. Great atmosphere- This hostel has real "character"

Great staff, good ppl of Scotland. , reasonable breakfast, good kitchen facility , lovely lounge , .

Best stay in Edinburgh but the noise of the wind on the windows was high!

Has got everything you could possibly ask for - great staff, great facilities, great location and all at a very affordable price too. Whether you're looking for a party vibe or peace and quiet, both are possible here. Love the decor too, which gives this place character and charm. All in all, as good as it gets and highly recommended!

It was pretty windy during my stay. I could feel the building kinda shaking because of the wind. Not sure if it was just me, or the wind was really terrible. But overall was great.

Haha it wasn't just you - the wind was crazy! Not too much we can do about that one I'm afraid. Thanks for your review.