Castle Rock Hostel Reviews

15 Johnston Terrrace, Edinburgh, Scotland

The absolute best hostel I've yet to seen, would be 100% but the lock on our door was broken for the duration of our stay, besides that everything was perfect, hot showers, great people, big lounge and lots of events to meet people and the castle and pubs are maybe 2min away if that, I can't recommend this hostel enough

This is a great hostel!! Meet a ton of people there! They had a beer pong tourney for everyone which was a great way to meet new people! Staff was awesome and super helpful! Will go back!!

Best hostel I stayed in during my one month European tour! I will definitely be back!

The hostel was so neat. There are so many rooms to relax in and they all have such interesting decor. The beds were pretty bad though, but at least the rooms were spacious. And the shower had great water pressure and temperature.

Awesome hostel. Great location in Edinburgh. Would definitely stay again!

Best hostel I've stayed at. Location, staff, lounge and kitchen were all awesome. The only annoying thing was the room and washrooms were a little squishy. We stayed in the four bedroom.

Absolutely brilliant staff, always helpful and willing to talk. Supreme location, really cool building, excellent showers, and has both a social room and a quiet room if you want more time to yourself. The only downer I have is that because it is so big, the kitchen gets really busy at times and it is hard to find a box for yourself or a place in the fridge. Otherwise, one of the best places I have ever stayed.

Mean beans, thanks Robert! Yeah we're renovating the kitchen shortly. I have it on good authority the next season of Iron Chef will be filmed right here at Castle Rock! Anything for our guests. -John

Super friendly staffs and great atmosphere

• 11th Jun 2015
  • Hong Kong

Unbeatable location, within walking distance to most major attractions, right off the Royal Mile. Friendly staff and a really great place overall.

Nice one, thanks for that. See you again some time! -John

Stayed at about 8 different hostels while in the UK and Castle Rock was by far the best. The location is unbelievable. The rooms were nice and the facilities were great. The staff is extremely friendly and always willing to help. My friend lost his phone and members of the staff were very adamant in helping us recover it. Also huge was the Pub Crawl that was totally free to go on. Other hostels charged you to go out with them but castle rock didn't and it was a great night.

• 10th Jun 2015

Great hostel! I will certainly stay there again the next time I travel to Edinburgh!

• 10th Jun 2015
  • Sweden

Not the most comfortable bed in the world, but for £15/night can't complain. Very safe and good (inclusive) wi-fi.

Thanks pal hopefully we'll see you again!

The staff was super friendly and breakfast wasn't a ripoff like other places. The hostel is quite large so it's hard to build a community but the lounges and evening events help you meet people. It was an all-around nice stay.

The staff were extremely helpful with any queries I had and when I ended up having to cut my trip short by a night due to what ended up as a chest infection, they helped me out with a short notice refund on my room. This was something they didn't have to do so it was extremely appreciated! Definitely makes me more likely to stay here again when I'm well enough to enjoy another trip to Edinburgh, so thanks :)

• 9th Jun 2015

No problem at all, summer isn't summery enough to be getting around with a chest infection. I hope you're on the mend - hopefully we'll see you another time! -John

Stayed here in June 2015 for three nights. The location is incredible! The directions from the airport and the station are super easy and the hostel is in a great safe area. The staff here are super helpful and willing to help with anything you need as best they can. Showers here are awesome.The hostel isn't a youth hostel so there are a lot of older people staying here to avoid paying expensive hotel prices. Just something to be aware of. Would highly recommend though!

Stayed few nights at 12 person dorm. Castle Rock hostel has excellent location and very good value for money. Clean facilities and hot water at showers. Only thing that I wished was that I would have had was a bit thicker mattress at my bed. It was a bit worn down but I still could sleep on it.

• 8th Jun 2015
  • Finland

Sweet potatoes, thanks for the feedback. Well, we've just received brand new mattresses for all our beds so hopefully if you come next time you'll dream of nothing but Haggis & William Wallace. Peace! -John

Loved the entryway. Staff was respectful and very friendly . Will recommend this place. You never know I'll be back. Truly felt safe.

I do recommend this place for staying!

Great hostel. Definitely deserves the ratings. Right underneath the castle which is amazing. The place is huge but there's a lot of lounges and the kitchen is enormous so accommodates for the amount of people well. If youre going to make one of the two bathrooms on one level female, make the other male though.

Great place, very helpful staff!