Castle Rock Hostel Reviews

15 Johnston Terrrace, Edinburgh, Scotland

Only stayed one night, but definitely one of the best hostels I've been to. Nice and helpful staff. The best and cleanest bathroom/shower facilities I've seen in a hostel. Huge common area consisting of several rooms; big kitchen, big eating/hang-out room, computer room, music room, and movie room. Our room was really nice and clean. Naming them after movies/TV/books was a nice touch. The only negative is the beds are really hard, to the point that we were all kind of sore when we woke up.

The place is huge, nice hostel environment with several different areas and lounges, decoration is fantastic, great think to have milk, coffee and drinking chocolate to the guests. Only complain is the kitchen, which is a mess, looks old with all those boxes and we couldn't find dishes or cutlery to eat our food properly.

Stay in Castle Rock was handy. It was near of everything. I would like to complement the hostel by the cleaning. Everything was spotless. Specially the toillets. Good cleaning team. I would definetly go back and tell others to stay.

• 9th Apr 2015

Look no further for hostels in Edinburgh. Castle Rock Hostel is located on the rock ... that the castle is. Situated right at the start of the Royal Mile, it's a perfect way to explore Edinburgh. Outlets located right next to the beds with personal reading lamps. Large common area with snooker and tables to eat and work.

Security and Facility are excellent. Location is near Edinburgh castle but a little bit far from rail or city centre. Staffs are very kind and helpful. Lockers in dorm are too small.

• 8th Apr 2015
  • Thailand

Perfect location in the city centre of Edinburgh. Spacious common area but small rooms. We had a private room for 3 under the pitched roof area and the top bunk bed was crammed. Otherwise a good experience.

I had a great stay here! It was my first time in a hostel and they made it very easy to navigate. Check in was easy, convenient and friendly. I didn't get to take advantage of the various opportunities such as breakfast, movies, or the kitchen because of my short stay. My only two suggestions are about the light in the rooms and the water pressure in the shower. My little light by my bed didn't work and the shower kept turning on and off on its own before the water actually ran smoothly.

• 8th Apr 2015

This hostel is really amazing! The people who works here is super nice and helpful. It's clean and has many amenities. It is very close to the train station, next to the castle and walking distance to most landmarks. The matresses seem a bit old, but other than that the rooms are fairly clean, this is a perfect hostel to stay at in Edinburgh, TOTALLY recommend it! A shame the people that's irrespectful and not tidy, i think it would help if the staff would mentioned the rules to the visitors.

The hostel is rather old but the location is great.

Great Hostel, cheap, comfortable, friendly and a beautiful building too

Great hostel! Beautiful location next to Edinburgh castle, friendly staff, comfortable and relaxed atmosphere, clean and colourful rooms and overall a wonderful hostel in every way.

• 7th Apr 2015
  • Sweden

Fantastic hostel! Great location, great vibe and awesome people! Highly recommended!

This is my picture of how a perfect hostel should be. Friendly and talkative staff, comfy beds, rooms and facilities with quirky personality and cozy lounges to chill in or socialize. +100 points for the vinyl collection in the groove lounge. You couldn't find a much more central location - right between the castle and Grassmarket. Only downside was that there were no good grocery stores nearby. And the windows in the room were very thin so there was a lot of noise from the street at night.

For the price, I was expecting some hole in the wall.....but I was pleasently surprised. Linens were clean, so were the restrooms. (As clean as they can be with a lot of visitors in and out). Security was excellent. Had to show desk clerk your card to get in the door. Location: Perfect. Literally under the castle, next to the Royal Mile, and a 7min (slow) walk from Edinburgh Waverly. I would definitely stay here again.

Thanks a lot pal, I'm glad you enjoyed the hostel!

Very good hostel, with perfect location. Everything very clean. The only problem where the lockers, with one key you could open 3 lockers in the same room.

My bed smelled like a foot

A foot? They're at least 2 metres! (Just kidding mate, we'll get that mattress looked at)

A great value for your money! It is located right next to the castle and the royal mile. The bedrooms are large and there are multiple lounges to hang out in. I highly recommend!

Good location, clean, friendly!

• 6th Apr 2015
  • Mayotte

cVHLFH I really enjoyed our short stay at your hostel. I was clean, bright and the connection between the medieval house and the decoration was just great!

• 5th Apr 2015

The lockers in the room could have been a little bigger, and the floor in our room (room 25 - Scottish food) creaked pretty badly, which woke people up. Using the orange card to get into the hostel... there just has to be a better way to do that. I understand the security of it, but it's obnoxious having to carry around a key as well as piece of paper. Why not attach the paper to the key ring somehow or something.