Castle Tam Hostel Reviews

Avenida 4,100 metros oeste Escuela de la Roosevelt, San Pedro, San Jose, Costa Rica

My plane arrived an hour an a half late, I had arranged for airport pick up and have them my flight Info just in case. When I arrived at night there was no one there to pick me up. Young man at desk was helpful and arranged a taxi to pick me up in the morning. I stayed in a private room" Waterloo"... The room leaked on to the bed. When I went out to find a staff member no one was to be found. Stuck it out the 7 hours I was there. Other than that big kitchen bed was comfy and clean

Alright hostel, facilities were good, good value for money, staff was okay, breakfast not worth it (coffee with no milk and a big chunky not-so-tasty pancake), good wifi, big private bathrooms (no stalls) but not enough of them. It was okay.

I really enjoyed Castletam. The staff was excellent and very friendly. They were extremely helpful and knowledgable about the area and Costa Rica in general. The wifi is great and strong all over the building, no problems at all with reception. The vibe is mellow and friendly. And they serve pancakes and coffee for free every morning. I would definitely stay here again, and I will any time Im in San Jose. I recommend you do the same. You wont be disappointed.

• 2nd Jul 2015

the 2 kitchens were pretty grubby and I struggled to find a spoon from either of them. I liked having the bed curtains though

I was only there over night but the staff were really great and dorms were good. I'd stay there again!

• 19th Jun 2015

We stayed in a private room and for that Price the room was perfect. Hostelstaff was friendly and helpfull, atmosphere was not the best propably cause it was quite empty. Safe area.

• 7th Jun 2015

Very pleasant and helpful staff. the location isn't great but it isn't that bad either. i guess the place has a better atmosphere when there are more people, all the essentials are there.

To be honest the hostel staff is not really motivated. First we waited a long time in front of the hostel till somebody opened the door. Later we asked where we can find a exchange office and if they could call a taxi for us. They had no idea where a exchange office is and it was not possible to call a taxi. The room was ok, they have two well equiped kitchens and a nice tv. Not bad but also not super.

A good hostel with some really helpful and welcoming staff - especially Evan and Sophie. Pancakes for breakfast is nice and a good change from just bread! Beds are great, you get your own chargers, reading light and curtains which is perfect in a dorm room. I would recommend staying here to any traveller :)

Stellar find! Cheap as chips, decent location, about a five minute walk for bars, lovely helpful staff, good wifi, well stocked kitchen, awesome pancake breakfast, secure clean rooms, clean bathrooms, only complaint was the mattress was quite thin and you could feel all the slats underneath

Castle tam is really one of the best values in Costa Rica. The staff is friendly and willing to help whenever available. I think this area is really the best part to be in San Jose. You are a 5 min walk to the University, so plenty of cheap food and drinks are available which pales in comparison to the rest of CR! $9 for a dorm room with its own curtain and outlet plus a huge pancake is tought to beat! The place isnt as clean as say a 5 star hotel but hey its Central America, Pura Vida!

• 24th Feb 2015

man this place rocks

• 12th Feb 2015

We had the private room with ensuite. Cons: The last occupants hair still in the drain. Toilet seat was cracked. Pros: Good shower, big bathroom. Good wifi. Close to the mall. Friendly staff and the pancakes were amazing!