Catba Hostel Reviews

160 Nui Ngoc street, Hai Phong, Cat Ba Island, Vietnam

Admittedly this place is very cheap but of course that means corners are cut. No top sheets - just a bare blanket, so not very hygienic. No wifi in the room, which is not really an issue until they kick you out of the lobby because the receptionist wants to sleep...

Had a great stay. Definitely recommended.

Good place to stay, not directly at the sea but not far away. Great, helpful Staff.

We had an excellent time in Cat Ba. Really friendly staff that helped us in every moment.

Room is clean, bathroom clean, the only bad thing is that your standing beside the toilet to shower....Wifi works fine. staff helpful to book tours. Breakfast is average so do yourself a favour and head down the street. If your travelling on a budget, i'd highly recommend this hostel.

We never made it to cat ba hostel. We had to alternate our plans since my girlfriend was not feeling well. I emailed the owner of the hostel on the day of our reservation that we will not be able to make it. He was understandable, wished us happy travels and to get better. He did not charge us for the first night even though he had right to. So, without actually being there and seeing the facilities I would definetely recommend this hostel and thank you again.

This hostel is located off the main drag by only a few minutes so away from all the parting noise which is good. 24h reception meant there was no worry about coming home late and being locked out. There was no safe facilities in the room for valuables. Breakfast was bit included in the room price but was cheap to buy. Staff friendly and able to organise bikes and bus for us. Only problem we had was a dog near by barking all night. Rooms were clean and new towels daily.

I didn't like the attitude of the staff at this hostel. I booked this hostel online and had to pay more than three girls I met on the bus and took with me to this place, which the owner justified by saying that he has to pay a commission for online bookings. I don't think this is fair because I took three other guests with me. Other than that, after every tour I took (not booked through the hostel) the staff asked me what I had done and how much it cost. Not very friendly.

The hostel and the dorm in itself was good value for money, a clean bed, with own fan and a shared bathroom. But the breakfast was not good! I would advice people to go out in town and eat instead of having the one at the hotel because it was very boring and not prepared nicely. Staff tries to help you but it was only one person out of four I met that spoke English so you could actually talk. So sometimes one needs to wait until the guy is there. Good, nice, clean spot but a bit far away...

Owner made us instant noodles through the typoon! Rooms are a good size and staff very friendly. Hilltop location is fine if you like a workout or rent a motorbike. The bike we rented from here was a bit dodgy and the next day when being given a lift on it it broke down!

We had 2 beds in an 8-bed dorm and had a great stay there. Staff was very friendly and caring. The rooms were clean and everybody had his own locker under the bed.

This hostel cannot be more mediocre. It's located all the way uphill from Catba town. The room was pretty small and all night long bad Kareoke music drifted into our room. To make things worse, We found an ant infestation in our room. You get what you pay for right ($12/night for a private room)? Not really. We decided to move out of this hostel the next day and found a large clean sea view room for $9/night (you need to haggle for the rate). You can do better than this place.

Friendly, but not able to keep the promisses: laundry almost later ready than our departure, prices tours and bus-boat-bus verry expensive compared to downtown for the same buscompany, noisy airco, only one staffmember was able to understand a little bit of English. No lockers, keys stay just at receptiondesk. Good point: They managed to book a private boat for a two days/one night trip ready to start in only one hour.

View all Cat Ba Island Hostels