Celica Art Hostel Reviews

Metelkova 8, Ljubljana, Slovenia

It was just ok. Very overrated and quite expensive compared to others in the area. It is cool if you like the hippy and grungy feel but nothing to note. The big dorm was quite tight and isn't worth that much money. Not a bad place, just wouldn't give it much praise.

Good place to stay, but a bit overrated. Second floor rooms were in an attic and we're hot and cramped

A fun and novel hostel to stay in. Conveniently located for train station and city centre. Friendly and helpful staff and great common areas. Stayed in a twin room - beds are a bit awkward (ladder access) but room was clean and comfortable.

The rooms / cells are unique and unusual. We sometimes warn guests to get good physical preparation before in order to feel OK climbing up and don the ladder, but it's so much fun, don't you agree? Have fun and wish you all the best.

The breakfast should be included.

The hostel is good in general. I confess that I was expecting more since it's differential was being an ancient prison, but there wasn't anything that special about it. Otherwise, my stay there was really confortable and pleasant.

An amazing hostel with great staff and full of character. I had an awesome time in Ljubljana and sure to come back to celica next year :)

Bathroom terribly ventilated, despite of that everything was awesome!!

Converted from the jail of the former communist army and situated in the graffiti-covered art ghetto/student party zone compound, this hostel is one of the coolest and most well-designed I've stayed in. The staff were helpful as well, and there were lots of concerts/happenings while I was there. Which brings me to the downside--at least if you're looking for peace and quiet. This place is loud. Also, the rooms are short on storage space. 2 in my room had NOWHERE to put their stuff.

Thanks for your feedback. We try to do our best to bring a unique stay, not only with a variety of original cells and rooms, but also with a great social activity calendar. And that's where it can get a bit louder on some nights - earplugs available at reception - just in case for light sleepers. Regarding the space comment, the guests can always store their things in the luggage room if there's not enough space in the room. We'll make sure to inform them better next time. Cheers!

Another example of fashion over function. The place looks great on the surface but fails on so many levels for road-weary travellers. Main complaints: there were no lockers in my five-bed mixed dorm so I had to leave my valuables at reception every time I left, the room was completely lit up anytime the hallway lights went on from the motion sensor, the common space was big and empty so the place felt cold, and they were blasting an all Alanis Morrisette playlist. Good location near stations.

This hostels design is awesome, But the room I stayed In was tiny, the three days I was there our bathroom wasn't cleaned once. It's about a 10minute walk from the city, I thought that it was closer. The wifi also broke for 2days. The staff were really nice, the receptionist was very helpful. It is a really cool design and super close to the train station.

Beautiful hostel, but we had a problem on our 1st night: we book 2 beds in a 12-beds dorm. when we got there the only two beds available where in the corner, and there are huge sticks holding the ceiling just above the bed, it's almost impossible to make the beds. Also, the beds where so close to each other, and there was a old man on the other bed, it looks like you're sleeping in a double bed with a stranger. also one of the staff were impatient to solve this problem, I got pissed off.

Hi, thanks for your honest feedback. We sincerely regret your stay made you feel that way. Impatient staff? Totally not OK, we appreciate you mentioning and will look into the matter right away. There's no bed assignment in any of the rooms, but we do remind couples or close friends travelling together, especially in the 12-dorm, to choose beds closer to each other in order to avoid such awkward situations. It seems you arrived later than others and your choice was minimal, unfortunately.

Amazing hostel with so much history! This place I highly recommend for any travellers. The rooms, bar, facilities, breakfast all fantastic but the staff are the best part! So helpful and friendly, this is the best hostel I have stayed in yet!

• 27th May 2014
  • New Zealand

You said it all! There's nothing else we could say, unless a big thanks for sharing. It is comments like these that make us very very happy! Wish you all the best.

One of the more disappointing hostel experiences I have had in Europe. The 12 bed dorm is essentially 12 mattresses on the floor in a stuffy attic space, sharing a single bathroom. The staff were helpful in assisting a change to a smaller room, but it was still very small and in the same attic space with an awkward sloping ceiling. A large group (30 or so) of school children then arrived causing havoc and running wild throughout for 4 hours, essentially turning the hostel into a school camp.

Super friendly staff, I had a job interview online and an hour before the interview the internet cafe I was planning on using turned out to have broken sound; the staff went way out of their way and set me up in a private quiet room with great internet connection and lent me a tablet! So nice of them, and everyone I met was always so friendly and happy, 10/10!

Wow, you really had an adventure around here, ha?!. We're glad everything turned out well and hope you got the job. By the way, the staff will be super thrilled to read your comment. Wish you all the best!

Cool location with very friendly staff! I recommend staying here!

Really lovely staff and a really good location. Would love to stay again.

Hi, thanks a lot, it's great to hear that. See you next time. Cheers!

A definite plus is it's proximity to the bus and train station (5 minute walk) and that it is virtually in Meltekova. Slept well and wasn't disturbed by any party noise. One good recommendation from hostel staff: Das ist Valter! A Balkan restaurant close-by that is a meat lover's paradise. Not-so-good recommendation: Sokol for Slovenian fair, rather touristy.

If the maintenance of the door lock of the room is in good order is much appreciated.

• 21st May 2014
  • Hong Kong

Great staff. Lively hostel with something happening each night. Remember only the private rooms are the jail cells not the dorms. Close to bus/train station 10mins walk into town.

Hi there! Thanks for sharing. It's great to see people enjoying the hostel atmosphere. Hope to see you again soon!

The staff were really friendly and helpful and the communal areas were very nice. The room (a mixed dorm for 4) was basic but OK, although the bathroom wasn't well ventilated and therefore didn't smell very pleasant. The location was around 10 minutes walk from the centre and 5 minutes from the train station.

• 14th May 2014

Thank you for your honest feedback. It can get a bit steamy right after all the people take a shower in the bathroom and it's better to leave the room ventilating a bit afterwards. Wish you all the best!