Central Backpackers Dunedin Reviews

243 Moray Place, Dunedin, New Zealand

A little bit noisy at night if your rooms on the main street. But an absolute great place to stay!

• 14th Mar 2014
  • Finland

Severe lack of power points in dorms. 2 powerpoints in a 9 bed dorm will always cause problems. The man that was working on the desk when I arrived was unfriendly and not very helpful. Location is good though, 5 min work to isite and most attractions.

The full time staff where lovely and very helpful, however the woofing staff they had in where rude and unpleasant which really ruined my stay. I found it extremely odd and never have I stayed or however worked anywhere were the woofing staff share a room with paying guests, this was awful. I found the atmosphere here really unpleasant and would certainly not recommend staying here to anyone. It spoilt my whole experience if Dunedin, as the city itself is lovely .

Hostel facilities were good but the atmosphere sucked. Didn't find people to be friendly or talkative. Everyone seemed to want to keep to themselves.

facilities would go up to good if the cracks in the windows were fixed, otherwise it was awesome!

• 8th Jan 2014
  • New Zealand

Some additional lockers in the dorm rooms would be nice. We only had two lockers in a six bed dorm. (doesn't make sense to me)

I found our reception on arrival as being an intrusion on the person at reception. Not very friendly.

Security was pretty average as you couldn't lock the dorm. But all in all I had an awesome time there!! Great atmosphere and very helpful staff, who were cleaning all the time therefore it is very clean and tidy. I can only recommend staying there!!!

Very decent place, great location. Fast wifi, well equiped kitchen, nice staff.

Excellent location, nice staff, and WIFI 500MB (and apparently free WIFI at the library across the road). Kitchen is small but I liked the coziness (it might get crowded when the hostel is full booked). Only 2 toilets and 3 shower booths in the female restroom but it was clean and shower pressure was excellent.

Staff were very nice and friendly. There is a tv room where you can meet other travellers. Great location and powerful showers.

Rooms aren't locked at all. Only main door has a code. No ventilation in kitchen and showers so the place is a bit damp and smelly. We couldn't open window in dorm (and the owner was already gone so no help here) so the room was smellyas well. A bit of mold in showers, but they're clean. Kitchen not so clean - put my food on shelf and learned it was sticky and covered in old dust. Owner very helpful though. Location couldn't be more central.

Fantastic central location, right in the middle of the city centre - close by to everything! Friendly atmosphere with the cosy social area and sociable kitchen (I made friends that I ended up traveling on further with). Clean and tidy. Used the laundry facilities and the dryer is shocking! All my clothes came out soaked still. They are extremely stingy with wifi, this is New Zealand, a rich, developed country - unlimited and free should be standard, not a pathetic amount that lasts half an hour.

A nice hostel in a very good location. I particularly enjoyed the showers! One hangup -- the wifi is free for the first 250 megabites so don't count on unlimited. You'll be spending a lot of your time at the library next door using the wifi there!

This is a pretty average place to stay. The minute you walk into the place you know its not going to be a fun place to stay. Toilet and shower facilities arent the best and you have to walk past the lounge room to reach them. No alcohol policy kills the atmosphere..If your keen to have a bit of fun this is not the place to stay.