Central Backpackers Dunedin Reviews

243 Moray Place, Dunedin, New Zealand

Excellent location in city centre. Room, toilet and kitchen are clean. However, I don't like to walk pass people watching television everytime I need to go to toilet or do my laundry (there's no other way). Lock storages in room are limited to number of occupant. Maybe breakfast should be provided early morning (or just put the food on the food shelve during midnight cleaning) as some people might check out very early morning or go out early. Heaps of love to the cat! Reasonable price.

This is a lovely hostel in a great central location. The lounge has a very comfy sofa and a lovely warming fire, and the kitchen is one of the nicest I have come across. The wifi was free but very patchy unfortunately, which was a shame and despite the lounge fire I found the hostel a little on the chilly side! The staff were great, with the lady setting us up with a heater in our room as soon as we arrived due to it being busy and the room not already warmed up. A nice hostel with a cute cat.

Very friendly and informative staff. breakfast was good! free wifi is a big plus!

Very helpful staff, decent breakfast and overall cozy hostel with cute cat, Gizmo!

All the complaints I see are about how the hostel has a cat and a ban on alcohol. I'm fine with those two, and I loved it here! As far as the alcohol goes, I did not get the impression that it's a witch hunt kind of thing. It's more about not having loud, drunk idiots ruining the rest of the guests experience there. This is a relaxed, friendly hostel. One of my favorites in NZ so far. One where you can watch movies, have good conversations, play a game of chess with a new friend.

Free wifi free breakfast and a playstation with FIFA. Happy days! Dunedin is rubbish though.

The no locks anywhere is kinda off putting but otherwise good hostel

The hostel's entry has two key-coded security doors at night and a receptionist during the day. All rooms are lockable and/or have lockers for securing property. This system is more secure and less complicated than offering keys to all staying in a room.

Probably the best hostel we stayed in in New Zealand - very friendly staff and very friendly cat.

• 28th Apr 2015

Super location, nice and homey atmosphere. good equipped kitchen. beds are squeaky and hard.

The girl on reception when we arrived was so lovely and helpful, and it was so nice to receive some chocolate eggs for Easter on our beds! Such a nice homely touch! The hostel is lovely and cosy, and very clean. We were very impressed even though we only stayed one night.

• 4th Apr 2015

No mention of house cat or complete (and condescending) alcohol ban when booking. No key for your room (unless you have a private) so very poor security. Free breakfast but would stay somewhere else where you felt treated like an adult.

Gizmo the cat is mentioned in our main info blurb. Regarding security: The hostel's entry has two coded security doors at night and a receptionist during the day. All rooms are lockable and/or have lockers for securing property. This system is more secure and less complicated than offering keys to all staying in a room.

Personally I think the anytime, anywhere alcohol ban was really childish. Would not stay there again for that reason, as I think you should be able to share a wine with some friends if you feel like it. The shower was really good!

Good kitchen but it's a bit small for the number of guests. Free breakfast was a great bonus, but get there early. Right in the middle of town and

After our hire car booking was cancelled at the last minute, one of the staff was SUPER helpful in helping us arrange a replacement car with a local firm. Fantastic service that really saved the day for us!

The rooms are a bit small compared to the number of people. I tried the 6 and 9 beds rooms and all the travelers have at least one backpack or suitcase each for which there is not enough space. I would suggest to add few hooks on the wall for clothes and lock the room for security reasons. Friendly staff, thanks. I would avoid to give access to the cat in the kitchen. Better to improve the fan ventilation in the kitchen, when people are cooking the room gets easily too hot and smoky.

Pool of water in woman's bathroom

• 15th Feb 2015
  • New Zealand

Nice place , has a bit like a family atmosphere . Would have been nicer if they would have more windows, but it isn't possible . They don't have open wifi , it's limited to one hour and 250mb :-( Overall It's a good place, to stay for a short time .

• 12th Feb 2015

Really easy to meet people and to feel like home. Couch in the lounge room and all the movies available are great. Cool thing that they have free breakfast. Rooms are big. A bit noisy when you are in a room close to a street. The room I was in didnt have a lock on the door, so anybody could enter in. This is a little lack of security. Should prevent on their descriptions that there is a cat living there! Any allergic person would be very unhappy there, smells like cat in the common room.

• 8th Feb 2015

nice and friendly. the breakfast was great. spacious lounge area and comfy beds. lots of noise during the night from outside but to be expected when located next to the main road. good location. could have had more plugs in the 10bed dorm.

On the hostel page it says car park as one of it's facilities. We found that not to be the case. The staff were very helpful and gave us a map and indicated some streets about a 5-10min walk away from the hostel that we could park the car on for free but as they were just public streets we found it hard getting a space for quite a while and had to try again a few hours later after taking refuge in the mall. Would of been nice to know that's what they meant by parking facilities before we arrived

• 27th Jan 2015