Central Backpackers Hostel Reviews

16 Ly Quoc Su st., Hoan Kiem, Hanoi, Vietnam

This place has 2 buildings about 100 meters from each other. The bunk beds are small but plenty of room in the dorm with lockers. My friend had his own room which was roomy, had its own bathroom. The staff are very helpful with booking tours and other information about the city. Lots of people hanging out, easy to meet fellow travelers. They have free beer for 1 hour every night, usually gets the party going. Recommended for backpackers, people looking to mingle and someone cost continues.

Ideal location in the old quarter, helpful and knowledgeable staff, best boss in the business. I wouldn't stay anywhere else.

A great place to stay in Hanoi, near to tourist attractions. Good social areas and helpful staff. The rooms were very comfy although our door didn't lock but a locker was provided with a key from the hostel.

Very important thing -staff speak English!!! It was very nice to stay there. Place has very nice location. Walking distance to all important places. Rooms were clean and had balcony :) Breakfast was ok, regular one - eggs or jam!

Rooms were cleaned daily, hot showers, friendly staff and of course free beer (no one said it had to be nice beer) Not a noisey place as bar shuts at 11pm, so you can still get an early night if needed. I booked Ha Long bay through the hostel and it was worth it. Prices are competitive with those out in the street. I'd recommend this to anyone.

Good place to stay, cheap, pretty nice rooms cleaned daily, in the middle of the old quarter. the staff are all freindly and accomodating. Oh and an hour of free beer in the evening in the back room, pretty hard not to meet people there! The only downsides: the beds are rock hard and some of them have bed bugs (but i think most places where people only stay for a night or two have this problem (high turnover of dirty backpackers!)

• 6th Nov 2014

Free computers, free beer (EVERY NIGHT!!), and great woman at the front desk. 24 hour reception. This place is more than decent, it's pretty well rounded for sure. Top 5 hostels I've been at in Northern SE Asia.

The lock on my safe fell out when I tried to lock it, I told the desk and they wouldn't fix it until the next day, luckily I was traveling with friends. The air con didn't seem to work in the room at night and the free breakfast was terrible, way over cooked bread and eggs and coffee that tasted like rubbing alcohol. The staff in the morning seemed to be fixing many things so they were trying to improve. But I would not return.

Great staff, clean rooms, good wifi, good common room and free beer. Worth staying here

This hostel was lovely :) the staff were fantastic

Free wifi, free breakfast, free beer, friendly people. What more can you want.

• 1st Oct 2014

I was only meant to be staying one night but got swept up in Hanoi's party scene. This hostel is a great place to meet people, the free (horrible) beer is a great meeting point. The bathroom was modern and clean and the rooms spacious and the aircon was cold. There were mice in the kitchen/breakfast room but that didn't seem to bother many people. Don't stay here if you want a peaceful sleep! I would stay here again, a lot of fun.

This hostel is set in a really good place. Heaps of cool places to eat and minutes walk from the lake. The room we got was nice, 8 beds and ensuite which was cleaned daily. The breakfast was basic but free so is nice to get something small down before going out searching for a place to eat for lunch. The staff are friendly and helpful. Beds are okay to sleep on too. We booked the tour to sapa from here and we intend on booking the tour to ha long bay from here too as we were impressed.

The 4th floor is plagued with bed bugs, unless you want to carry those fellows for the rest of your trip, I'd recommend not staying here. Seriously, I saw at least 7 creeping on my bed at night and then had to inspect all my clothes that I had lying against the bed to find even more. Many of the people who were staying there were also complaining about waking up with multiple bed bug bites. The first floor has regular appearances of mice. But hey, what do you expect for $5?

Hi Jose, thanks for leaving your review! We do remember you been stayed at room 4 twice the first time was fine but the 2nd time after you come back from Sapa stay again, you said your bed have bugs then we moved you to the new room and check the bed and found 2 on your bed so we worry you bring it back from your trip in Sapa homestay?then we close the room for 1week and spray it. Its all good now. For the mice we don't think we have it in our hostel. Regards!

The dorm rooms could have been cleaner and the WiFi internet reception needs improvement. Overall the place is fantastically located, staff are helpful, and the free beer was a great draw card, making the place very social. The laundry service was also good value for money, and the tour booking service for the day trips and overnight stays in Ha Long Bay and Sapa were useful. Get a private room if you are fussy about sleep.

• 28th Aug 2014

Prefered the private room here than the one at central backpacker 2 which we also stayed at. Just a good hostel all around generally. Not the most amazing place iv stayed but far from the worst. Free beer on a night which is always a winner

Staff were really friendly and helpful/knowledgeable, room was large with a balcony and ensuite and close to restaurants/bars,the lake etc only downside was the toilet seemed to be leaking a bit at the back -bit gross. Other then that fab, would definitely stay again!

everything was wonderful and great about this hostel; the staff, the facilities, location etc. the only thing I would say, is that the breakfast is a little weak, there could be something more to it, but for 5 dollars its fine.

Good sociable hostel in a great location.

I had a great time here. The free beer hour got everyone together and the yours to halong bay through the hostel are excellent. Do the 3 day 2 night halong bay versus the 2 day 1 night. You won't regret it!