Central Backpackers Quepos Reviews

Playa Manuel Antonio road in front of the INVU, Quepos, Costa Rica

Great manager who is really accommodating and a great cook. Bus stop just outside the hostel to go to manuel Antonio (310 colones). Not much going on in quepos so best to spend most of your time in manuel Antonio. Facilities are pretty dated and definitely could do with a refurb.

Amazing host and he make great food as well!

• 26th Jan 2016
  • Sweden

Terrible hostel. I had to catch a 6am bus my last day there. I had told the owner about it the day before, but when I tried to leave in the morning the gate was locked so I couldn't get out. It took 15 minutes of knocking and calling to wake him up and almost 10 more for him to unlock the gate. Obviously, I missed my bus. Otherwise, the dorm was dark and gloomy and there was no common area. The hostel is far from Manuel Antonio and also far from the center of Quepos. Do not stay here.

The person in charge was very nice, but he is the only one attending people. Could be more clean, but is fine.

This was right next to the bus stop that would take you to the beach. Check out was at 12pm which left you plenty of time in the day to go explore. There were a few instances where we were not happy with our stay. The first was the bathroom, it smelled heavily of sewage and we had to keep the door closed. The other item was the cockroach in our room. We tried to keep an open mind about our stay given the climate and the location.

If you are looking to visit the national park on a budget this hostel is a good option. Mauricio is a highly motivated manager who takes great pride in both his work and the quality of your holiday. He is very passionate about the national parks and has valuable insight. The property is old and in need of referb. It is also on a loud & busy street with continuos traffic, but the bus stops outside. If you are looking for a cheap place to rest your head and can deal with noise, you'll be fine :)

The host goes out of his way to help guests. Hes an experienced chef and turns out good meals.

Close to the city center and transportation. Good breakfast and staff, but it's not the best place for a hostel atmosphere where noise and humidity make sleeping very hard.

Nobody was there when I arrived. It looked like nobody had been there for a few days. Had to look for another place to sleep. Why is this listed on Hostelworld?

• 27th Nov 2015

Friendly staff, awesome breakfast, easy walk to bus station, great place I would stay here again!

• 24th Nov 2015

The owner is really friendly and very helpful. Gives you a lot of tips to go around and explore and it is always willing to help you around and make you comfortable. Also he prepares very good and cheap food. Breakfast included is a plus. Although the place gets really hot during the day and lacks a bit of ventilation. Water in the shower is cold and lacks a bit of details in decoration that could make it more cozy. Also it is close to the bus stop to and from Manuel Antonio, but on the other ha

Mauricio was an excellent host! He was very kind to explain everything, give information about the town, transportation, etc. He was there to offer any assistance needed. A free breakfast (eggs, bread, fresh fruit and coffee) came with the price of your night's stay, and he made it when you were ready for it. I was very comfortable in the dorm beds, and they are very reasonably priced. The location is an easy walk to town. This is not a party hostel. Overall, a very good experience.

Simply an awesome hostel! About a 10 minute walk from the bus station and about a 20 minute bus ride from Manuel Antonio. The upstairs hostel is small and quaint. I had a very clean private room with bathroom, with a comfy bed. The included breakfast is made by to order and great! The bus to Manuel Antonio stops about 20 meters from the hostel and runs every 20 minutes. The owner is amazing! He helped me plan my 2 days and was very friendly (he's bilingual too). Overall an excellent hostel!

Property is directly on main road therefore very noisy especially at night. The open sewage is not a welcoming smell to return. The bfast is included but it is a simple scramble egg with 2 toasts and a slice of pineapple with a weak coffee. The manager of the establishment is not the most knowledgable as for activities nor the most proactive when asking/responding to questions. Pictures are outdated and things have change since. I would not return or recommend this hostel.

• 5th Mar 2015

Note: on our GPS, this hostel was listed as "Central Hostel". Our host was exceptional! He is very kind, speaks excellent English

• 27th Feb 2015

Located right on the Manuel Antonio route but a fair walk from downtown Quepos. Staff was very nice and the free breakfast was fantastic. Since it is right on the road the traffic is quite loud. Pretty basic accommodations but great value for the price.

We absolutely loved this hostel. Amazing location, awesome building, knowledgeable and kind staff. Delicious free breakfast. Excellent all around.

We stayed for two nights in Central Backpackers while we were backpacking in Costa Rica. It is a good option if you are looking for a cheap place with clean, basic facilities. The location is good, the bus station (not the main station of Quepos!) is right in front of the hostel. Wifi worked well. The only drawback was that it was right next to the main street so it was a little noisy (earplugs help).The owner was a super nice guy which makes wonderful fresh-cooked breakfast even at 6 am!

• 3rd Jan 2015
  • Switzerland

The guy running the place was really nice and helpful; but unfortunately the hostel itself was very run down and shabby! Building site next door didn't help much either! I think I was vastly over charged for the quality of accommodation; effectively a box room with 3 beds squeezed in, no proper external window, no bed sheets or towels etc etc. I paid $45 for a double room! I think it was not worth more than $20! ...... This is a budget hostel and nothing more, and I expected more for my money!

Loved it, very cheap and clean. and staff is so nice.

• 9th Sep 2014