Central Backpackers Reviews

13 Park End Street, Oxford, England

1951 Total Reviews

Very friendly and helpful staff, great atmosphere among guests and stuff, well-equipped kitchen (the only thing I was missing was a smaller knife to cut fruits :D), comfy beds, all rooms are spacious and propose lockers and space underneath the beds to store away baggage, pleasant temperature in the hostel (I didn't feel cold inside an English building, yeah) - all in all it was great! Grazie mille! :)

Unfortunately, Oxford Backpacker's is my first bad review on Hostelworld. The rooms were fine, but the showers had no pressure and two temperatures: polar dip or hell fire. Sociability was pretty much out of the picture unless you were a member of staff- none of whom I saw once in the reception area. The "buzz for help" idea could have been good at the office, if that actually made anybody come to help. The rooftop terrace is great though, it's centrally located, and free breakfast was nice.

My stay was nice, the hostel was clean and staff were friendly and helpful. However, a few things slipped, I wasn't asked for my passport upon check in nor informed that paying my deposit by card results in an extra 1 pound fee. Also, I took issue with this being advertised as a non smoking hostel, but the "smoking area" is on level with the rooms so my room smelled like smoke anyway.

• 18th Mar 2015

Everything was good; the hostel is really near to the center of Oxford (cca 5 minutes of walk from High street) and it has enough of facilities (so there wasn't any waiting to take a shower). Kitchen was good, there were a few choices for breakfast, and I was able to use as many towels I needed. All in all, a nice hostel at a good position with a good price.

• 15th Mar 2015
  • Croatia

The hostel was in a great location with many things to do in walking distance. It's ok for someone who is staying for 3-4 days or less and doesnt have any great expectations.

Thanks for your comments. We are in a great location and glad you enjoyed it!

quiet stay. room clean.

Thanks for the feedback! We hope to welcome you back soon :-)

A warning about how loud the nightclub downstairs is necessary. This is so noisy that the hostel even provides ear plugs for free - but these are only useful if the staff actually tell guests that they exist and where they are. Even with the ear plugs you can still hear the music downstairs. Then when the music stops, the staff recycle glass bottles for an hour. Don't expect to sleep before 3am. Other than that, location, security, staff and facilities were very good.

Hi! Thanks for your detailed feedback. I have taken note of your comments in order to improve our service. Unfortunately a central location comes hand in hand with being surrounded by the city nightlife. Hopefully you will return to Oxford again :-)

Fairly standard. Free towels were a nice touch. Wifi excellent. Shared my room with a boisterous male party but you get what you pay for in that regard.

Cheers for your feedback! Being a hostel in the city center, you never know what type of guests you may get. I'm glad you still had a good stay, and we hope to welcome you back again in the future!

Nice place. Reasonable price.

• 16th Feb 2015
  • Indonesia

Thanks for the great feedback! We hope to see you back here in Oxford again soon!

Nice youth hostel with a friendly staff :)

• 15th Feb 2015

Hi! We do have a great team here. Happy you enjoyed your stay ! Hope to welcome you back in the future :)!

Male dorm of 12 is very loud at night from noise from nearby bars.

Hi! We are in a lively street here in Oxford so are impacted by noise from the local nightlife. We do provide complimentary earplugs to all guests to try to tackle this. Thanks for your feedback!

My room was upgraded for free because of a mistake in the booking process. The room was ok, I'd say overcrowded even for a hostel standard, but I didn't mind. The only thing i object to is that the room was very noisy, day and night. Overall very good. definitely appreciated the free breakfast too :)

We're glad you had a nice stay! We are located on a really lively street so we are impacted by the noise. I hope you still managed to get a good nights sleep, and that you will be back to Oxford soon :-)

The staff, the experience and the hostel in tolat gave me a thoroughly pleasant stay at Central Backpackers. I am sure to return should I ever go to see Oxford again. Axel

• 2nd Feb 2015
  • Sweden

Thank you for the awesome comments! We would love to welcome you back to CB's again in the future :-)

The stay was really nice and helping. The sanitaries were clean. On the negative side if you taller than 5,8 feets you might consider bringing your own blankets during the winter. The blankets are really small and the heat system is bad so I was extremely cold. The night I slept there they threw up a party until 3 in the morning, they provided ear plugs, but its not ideal if you want to have a good rest.

Hi! Thanks for your great feedback! Our duvets are the standard size that shops UK wide sell. We are more than happy to provide an extra blanket if our guests need them :-) Being an old building, the heating can be temperamental and take a while to heat up. During this cold winter we are trying to keep it as warm as possible! We do normally limit our parties and I apologise that your sleeping was impacted - I have made note of your feedback in order to improve our services. Thank you!

I stayed here for one week and this place felt like home since the first day. The staff and management were always kind, efficient and fun to be around, and it's one of the cleanest hostels I've ever stayed at. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is coming to Oxford and wants to meet new friends in town. This hostel is amazing!!

• 25th Jan 2015

Thank you for your great comments! We really enjoyed you staying here at CBs. You are welcome back anytime and we look forward to meeting you again!

It was ok for the price. It wasn't very friendly. Staying in a dorm for five nights, people were generally respectful of others need for sleep. Bed was very comfortable. There is a kitchen, but I didn't feel that out was big enough to cope with the demands of so many people. Also, the lounge and common room were a bit small. It felt crowded. But for £15 a night, not too bad.

• 5th Jan 2015

Hi, thanks for your feedback! I have made a note of your comments in order to improve our services. As we are in an old building with limited space, we have tried our best to maximize the space we do have in order to provide a comfortable environment for our guests. Thanks again :-)

The shower only produced very cold water or scotching hot water. I tried following the instructions but it didn't seem to help. Perhaps a tap for cold water and a tap for hot water would suffice.

• 5th Jan 2015

Thanks for your feedback! We do have signs for our showers which explain how to get the best use. They usually work very well so I can only apologise for your bad experience. I will monitor this to make sure they are not problematic in future. We hope to welcome you back to Oxford again in the future!

I have to say that I am a bit shocked about the state of the facilities, especially the WC's and bathrooms. There was no visible evidence of building maintenance or appropriate cleaning. The sink was blocked, the dustbin was rusty, the walls and skirting boards were dirty. Everything looked like a 'badly done' DIY project and not even close to a professional commission that I would expect to see in a building that main purpose is to accommodate guests on a daily basis. - Sorry.

• 5th Jan 2015

Thanks for your feedback. We have a team of staff who clean all facilities multiple times a day. Our building is old and has natural wear and tear - we believe this adds to the character and stops us being a sterile, bland property. Whilst I agree this may not be to everyone's taste, the majority of our guests have a great time here and appreciate we are a hostel rather than a hotel, which is reflected in the prices we charge. We maintain great cleaning standards and will continue to do so.

It was a wonderful stay with great staff :) Unfotunately i stayed only one night and didnt get a chance to talk to much with them.. but very nice :)

Thank you for your lovely comments! Hopefully we will meet you back in Oxford again soon :-)

Nice hostel, very easy for my night there! A bigger locker in the room would be great.

• 22nd Dec 2014

Thanks for your feedback. Due to space restrictions in the room, lockers much bigger would take up quite a bit of space. Any larger items can always be stored in our locked reception. See you again!

« first « Prev 1 2 3