Central Backpackers Reviews

13 Park End Street, Oxford, England

2033 Total Reviews

Wish there were more options of where to stay in Oxford, because I definitely would Not stay here again!

Excellent atmosphere, nice communal areas (especially the terrace), and perfect location. VERY helpful and friendly staff. The hostel feels safe and the bathrooms, dorms, and communal space are clean. If I look for a hostel in Oxford again, I know where to go!

• 23rd May 2015

Street side room was very noisy with people partying all night long. They provide ear plugs but they only reduced the noise level. Two windows didn't shut completely. Hostel itself is average although it's great that they provide milk for the tea. The staff leaves much to be desired though. My 11:30 arrival seemed To have awoken the young man that greeted me. No city map to give me. Breakfast was to start at 7:00 but by 7:45 no staff member to be found and kitchen locked. Room lockers too small

Thank you for your feedback. Our reception closes at 11pm as advertised on all our booking websites, so it was a kind gesture of a staff member to wait. I have taken note of the dates you stayed and will speak with the relevant staff member about the kitchen. The lockers are there for small items such as laptops etc. Any bigger, they would take too much space. With regards to noise, unfortunately we will be impacted due to having such a good location in a student city. Thanks again

This place could really do with some proper investment in its facilities. Located right in front of a busy niteclub, the all-night noise could be a hassle for some people - although at least the hostel does provide free earplugs by way of acknowledgement. Otherwise, it is nicely located close to the city centre and main transport hubs. Given the facilities and poor cleanliness, I didn't find it good value for money.

Great staff.

Thanks! The team here are wonderful and all loved having you to stay! Come back soon :-)

Nice, clean and helpful staff. Would recommend.

Thanks so much :-) I'm glad you enjoyed our lovely hostel!

Very impressed with this place. Great kitchen area which we could use and very clean dorms. Super nice staff who gave us a wonderful tour of the hostel when we arrived! The location was pretty good as well just a short walk from the city centre :)

Thank you for your review! I'm glad you had a great stay here at Central Backpackers. The staff are a wonderful asset to the hostel and it's great to read brilliant feedback about them and the brilliant job they are doing :-) Come back soon!

I loved this place. Staff was extremely friendly and accommodating. Would definitely recommend for a stay in oxford.

Thanks very much for your lovely comments! We will miss you!

Overall it was a very good experience! First time staying in a hostel with friends, and it gave us a good first impression! The staff were really friendly, and everything was really clean! Lots of facilities, including free wifi, towels, movies, kitchen facilities etc so we really had everything we needed :)

• 16th May 2015
  • Singapore

I'm glad to hear you had such a great time here at Central Backpackers and enjoyed your first hostel experience. Hopefully we will welcome you back again in the future :-)

Very good. But not excellent. I'd still recommend the hostel. Pity about the snorer in room 4 who ruined it for lots of people from about 04:00 and managed to drive at least one person out by 04:20. (Please provide electric cattle prod to deal with such antisocial snoring people!) I was tired all day! Otherwise great. Nice hot shower too.

• 14th May 2015

Thanks for your comments! Unfortunately that is a risk with staying in hostels - the infamous snorer! Feedback noted ;-)

It was goodto stay there, everyone was friendly and I very much liked the fact that they even had a blowdryer!

Hi! Thanks for the feedback. We're glad the hairdryer was useful!

You really feel home here and the staff is very welcoming! I loved my time here! The rooftop is also amazing! Would definitely come back :)

Thanks for your feedback! I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and had fun with our great team of staff! Safe Travels :-)

One of the best hostels we ever stayed in. Super friendly welcoming staff, a cosy and friendly atmosphere, great living room and rooftop bar, cosy beds, breakfast included. Couldn't have wished for more! :)

• 3rd May 2015

Thank you so much! Come and visit again soon :-)

Nice place. The staff were a bit hard to find sometimes and not hugely welcoming. The door that makes a massive bang every time you close it really sucks and kept me awake at night!! Also more shelving or hooks in the rooms would be great!!

• 1st May 2015

Thanks for your feedback! I've noted your comments and we are using them to improve the service we offer. The door is being fixed as we speak :-) Come back soon!

Central Backpackers is a very nice, clean hostel in a great location. However, the dynamic of the hostel is strange. I found the staff, for the most part, to be very unfriendly and scarce. The guests at the time seemed to be mainly older people i.e 40+. The breakfast was ok but certainly nothing special. All in all, I probably wouldn't stay here again.

Hi, thank you for your comments and feedback. Being a hostel, the dynamic of guests completely varies from one day to the next. That's one of the greatest things - you never know who you will meet! We offer a light breakfast, however if one if requiring anything more we have all the facilities in which to cook something. Our staff are from all over the world, and we have one member of staff working at any given time. We like to actively carry out tasks so they could be anywhere in the hostel! :)

Probably not the best place to stay if you are looking for a quiet night. The club downstairs literally makes the walls pound (but they do off you ear plugs). Stayed 2 nights. First night in an all female dorm that was very clean and lovely. Second night in a mixed dorm that smelled very strange. Lockers were a little small, free breakfast was lovely. About a 5 min walk from main city centre.

• 16th Apr 2015

Hi There! Thanks for your review. Due to our location in a very student-based city, we are impacted by the noise from the local nightlife. As you mentioned, we offer free earplugs to help our guests get a good night sleep. Guest's comfort is our priority so we will do what we can to ensure you all have a great stay!

I loved this hostel!! What a friendly, warm and lovely place full of interesting people from all over the world. The staff were amazing and great fun to be around. The hostel was super clean and it felt like a home away from home! I will definitely be back!

Thank you for your wonderful comments! We hope you will be back soon :-)

Good value for money, close to train station and central Oxford

Thanks for your feedback! Hopefully we will welcome you back to Central Backpackers again soon!

Pretty good hostel in a nice location. It's clean and cozy with a nice staff. I found it difficult to find staff members at times, but when I did, they were helpful. I wish the "outdoor" bar area were nonsmoking because it's not technically outdoors so the smoke drifts back into the rest of the hostel. It also makes it difficult for non-smokers to enjoy the area when it's full of smokers, which was often while I was there.

It would be much better if there were more toilets and especially more washbasins (for hands and face).

• 7th Apr 2015
  • Tunisia
  • Couple, 41+

Hi! Thanks for your feedback. Whilst we would love to be able to offer our guests more facilities, the nature, age and layout of the building tells us otherwise! We try to offer the best we can given the space and old English building we have. Thanks again :-)