Central Backpackers Reviews

13 Park End Street, Oxford, England

2054 Total Reviews

You really feel home here and the staff is very welcoming! I loved my time here! The rooftop is also amazing! Would definitely come back :)

Thanks for your feedback! I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and had fun with our great team of staff! Safe Travels :-)

One of the best hostels we ever stayed in. Super friendly welcoming staff, a cosy and friendly atmosphere, great living room and rooftop bar, cosy beds, breakfast included. Couldn't have wished for more! :)

• 3rd May 2015

Thank you so much! Come and visit again soon :-)

Nice place. The staff were a bit hard to find sometimes and not hugely welcoming. The door that makes a massive bang every time you close it really sucks and kept me awake at night!! Also more shelving or hooks in the rooms would be great!!

• 1st May 2015

Thanks for your feedback! I've noted your comments and we are using them to improve the service we offer. The door is being fixed as we speak :-) Come back soon!

Central Backpackers is a very nice, clean hostel in a great location. However, the dynamic of the hostel is strange. I found the staff, for the most part, to be very unfriendly and scarce. The guests at the time seemed to be mainly older people i.e 40+. The breakfast was ok but certainly nothing special. All in all, I probably wouldn't stay here again.

Hi, thank you for your comments and feedback. Being a hostel, the dynamic of guests completely varies from one day to the next. That's one of the greatest things - you never know who you will meet! We offer a light breakfast, however if one if requiring anything more we have all the facilities in which to cook something. Our staff are from all over the world, and we have one member of staff working at any given time. We like to actively carry out tasks so they could be anywhere in the hostel! :)

Probably not the best place to stay if you are looking for a quiet night. The club downstairs literally makes the walls pound (but they do off you ear plugs). Stayed 2 nights. First night in an all female dorm that was very clean and lovely. Second night in a mixed dorm that smelled very strange. Lockers were a little small, free breakfast was lovely. About a 5 min walk from main city centre.

• 16th Apr 2015

Hi There! Thanks for your review. Due to our location in a very student-based city, we are impacted by the noise from the local nightlife. As you mentioned, we offer free earplugs to help our guests get a good night sleep. Guest's comfort is our priority so we will do what we can to ensure you all have a great stay!

I loved this hostel!! What a friendly, warm and lovely place full of interesting people from all over the world. The staff were amazing and great fun to be around. The hostel was super clean and it felt like a home away from home! I will definitely be back!

Thank you for your wonderful comments! We hope you will be back soon :-)

Good value for money, close to train station and central Oxford

Thanks for your feedback! Hopefully we will welcome you back to Central Backpackers again soon!

Pretty good hostel in a nice location. It's clean and cozy with a nice staff. I found it difficult to find staff members at times, but when I did, they were helpful. I wish the "outdoor" bar area were nonsmoking because it's not technically outdoors so the smoke drifts back into the rest of the hostel. It also makes it difficult for non-smokers to enjoy the area when it's full of smokers, which was often while I was there.

It would be much better if there were more toilets and especially more washbasins (for hands and face).

• 7th Apr 2015
  • Tunisia
  • Couple, 41+

Hi! Thanks for your feedback. Whilst we would love to be able to offer our guests more facilities, the nature, age and layout of the building tells us otherwise! We try to offer the best we can given the space and old English building we have. Thanks again :-)

Very nice and small hostel located just outside Oxford city centre. The dorm was super clean and spacious. Nice TV facilities with three sofas and loads of DVDs as well! Breakfast was included and consisted of toast and cereal. The only thing that bothered me was that there was almost nothing left at quarter to ten. Apart from that I'd definitely recommend staying there!

Hi! How lovely to read your wonderful comments. Thank you! I'm glad to hear you had a great stay and enjoyed the facilities here at CB's. As breakfast finishes at 10am I imagine this is the reason why it became spare. However, I have taken note of your feedback to improve our services. Thanks again :-)

It was really loud, smelled bad, and I barely got any sleep.

Hi, thanks for your feedback. I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay. We are located in the midst of the city centre and on one of the busiest roads in Oxford - a heavily populated student town. This means that inevitably we will be impacted by external noise. In order to tackle this we have upgraded all the guest room windows and provide free earplugs. We clean the hostel continuously throughout the day so I can only apologise for any smell. I hope to welcome you back for a better stay :-)

Will come again, nice stay!

Awesome, be sure to return! :-)

My night at Central Backpackers was excellent. I found all the facities I needed (clean toilets and showers, lockers, kitchen ready to prepare my breakfast, lounge room with TV, computers with internet access, etc). The staff were very helpful and the atmosphere was very friendly and peaceful. Really close to Oxford centre and very cheap.

• 3rd Apr 2015
  • Spain

Hello! Thanks so much for your great review! We are really happy to read that you had a wonderful stay with us here. Please be sure to come back again :-)

The staff were very nice and helpful and the location is great - literally steps from the train station and a short walk into the city centre - but the hostel itself wasn't the cleanest, the beds weren't very comfortable and it had an odd smell. If you literally just need a place to crash for one night it's fine, but I wouldn't have wanted to have to shower there etc.

• 3rd Apr 2015

Hi! Thank you for your review. We deep clean the hostel every morning between 11-3, and then throughout the day the staff member on duty is responsible for checking and maintaining the hostel cleanliness. On very busy days when showers are being used continuously before the cleaning begins it can of course have an impact. We will continue to maintain what we believe to be great standards and hope to welcome you back in the future for an improved stay :-)

The location is central to Oxford and close to the train station, and the facilities were mostly neat. The staffing was poor, and it was difficult to find someone to help you during office hours. When checking out, I rang the office bell multiple times and then had to search the building and knock on doors to find someone too help. In addition, the lockers did not lock well: even with a padlock, they could be jimmied open.

• 2nd Apr 2015

Thanks for your feedback. With regards to staffing, we have one member of staff on duty on shifts throughout the day from 7-11 am. We do not have a large reception so the staff are actively carrying out jobs around the hostel during that time, however will always be happy to assist with guest's needs. I have taken note about the lockers and will look into this - thank you for bringing it to my attention!

Well located, fairly typical hostel experience . . . ear plugs always useful – which they provide free.

• 25th Mar 2015

Thanks for taking the time to leave comments! We hope to welcome you back to CB's again soon!

The breakfast was not always provided and the staff seemed quite rude and ignorant about the complaints. However, in the end they provided the breakfast about an hour later.

• 23rd Mar 2015
  • Lithuania

Thank you for your review! We provide a basic breakfast every morning from 7am - 11am. The breakfast is always prepared for when the kitchen opens. We normally get great comments on the atmosphere and friendlyness of our hostel and we have a great team of staff here, so I can only apologise that you were not able to experience that.

Very friendly and helpful staff, great atmosphere among guests and stuff, well-equipped kitchen (the only thing I was missing was a smaller knife to cut fruits :D), comfy beds, all rooms are spacious and propose lockers and space underneath the beds to store away baggage, pleasant temperature in the hostel (I didn't feel cold inside an English building, yeah) - all in all it was great! Grazie mille! :)

Thank you for your wonderful comments! You are welcome back ANYTIME :-)

Lovely and cozy youth hostel in Oxford, few steps from clubs and main attractions. Staff is very friendly and helpfully. I can honestly recommend it to everybody!

• 20th Mar 2015

Thank you for your review! We hope to see you in the future! :)

Unfortunately, Oxford Backpacker's is my first bad review on Hostelworld. The rooms were fine, but the showers had no pressure and two temperatures: polar dip or hell fire. Sociability was pretty much out of the picture unless you were a member of staff- none of whom I saw once in the reception area. The "buzz for help" idea could have been good at the office, if that actually made anybody come to help. The rooftop terrace is great though, it's centrally located, and free breakfast was nice.

Hi, thank you for your feedback! I am sorry you did not have a good time here at Central Backpackers. We normally get great comments on the atmosphere and friendlyness of our hostel and we have a great team of staff here, so I can only apologise that you were not able to experience that. We do not man our reception as we prefer that the staff are pro-active during our opening hours, however we have a phone at all times and the staff will always assist to our guests.