Central Park West Hostel Reviews

201 West 87th Street, New York, NY, New York, USA

I was charged at the end of the trip when I had been charged at the begining of the trip and given my reciept which was really inconvenient for me and a major hassle on my part.

• 20th Dec 2015

First Hostel experience. The pix on site were way off. Private room was decent, few wholes on wall and about two roaches. Pretty much you are getting what you pay for. Its no resort, but if looking to explore the city and not going to spend time in room other than shower and sleep, Its worth it!

• 10th Nov 2015

Some staff members were very courteous and helpful, others not so much, almost to the point where they come off as rude. Great location (less than 5 minutes from the subway) and reasonable prices, though. The bathrooms and facilities were not the cleanest ever, but it's not like they were unsanitary either. I would say it doesn't feel much like the most appropriate place for foreigners or travelers, but if you're on a budget it does the job. Keep low expectations and you won't be disappointed.

• 1st Nov 2015
  • Puerto Rico

The location was lovely and safe and as close to a subway stop as you could hope. The staff were very slow at checking me in but I don't know if that was avoidable and they were very kind so I can let that slide. But the kitchen area, although looking like a proper hostel, lacked atmosphere and much to do. The rest of the hostel was weird, very run down with I think a few long term residents who were actually living there. Lots of older people living there. I saw a cockroach in one bathroom too.

• 23rd Oct 2015

Better bathrooms. Wifi on rooms.

The room was very dirty and so was the bath rooms. The place looked so old without proper maintenance and the most ridiculous elevator I've ever used.

• 22nd Oct 2015

Your basically paying for the location at this hostel. The hostel was clean and there was always toilet paper which others have complained about. We did have cockroaches in our room though :-/ The Doors really REALLY need delayed shutting devices as theyre all fire doors and slam extremely loudly. I was woken up at least 20 times a night. There are only two bathrooms per floor, although I never found I was waiting long. The staff are very friendly and will go out of your way to help you.

• 20th Oct 2015

Nice staff. Very helpful. The shared bathrooms are not really clean. Even blood on the toilet and bathroom floor. Another bathrooms ceiling is broken and mold is growing around the really big hole. Bed sheets and Room was ok. From JFK: Airtrain (5$ p.P. at exit) to station Howard Beach (only every second airtrain). Then change to metro take the A train to 86th street ($2,75 p.P.). Then walk 3 mins.Takes 1:45h. To the airport: A train with Far Rockaway on sign (there are 2 A's) to Howard Beach.

One night the heater worked extremely well so that we had to turn the fan of the AC on to get some outside air. The following night the heater was off and we only had a sheet to cover and we were freezing. We couldnt use the bathroom at night since somebody else was sleeping in it every night for three nights in a role. It kept being locked with somebody snooring in it. There was dead cockroaches on the wallwhere the kitchen used to be and there was alive ones running though the room.

Great location

The staff were otherwise about assisting us. Cleanliness was appalling. The bathrooms were disgusting and smelly. In some cases the doors were broken and had no loo paper. There were cases where other guests had made a mess of the toilets and they stayed that way for hours (loo paper everywhere, unflushed toilets etc.). The floors of the rooms were dirty and clearly had not been cleaned in a long time. Generally the Hostel smelt bad. By far and away the worst hostel I have ever stayed in.

• 8th Oct 2015
  • South Africa

I've stayed in many hostels around the world (North America, South America, Africa, Europe) and I could not believe I would find the worst one I have ever stayed right there in NYC. Bathrooms are either dirty or not working (and by dirty I mean, there was literally poop on the toilet seat). No toilet paper. Room locks weren't working (had to change rooms twice because of that). Do not recommend it at all.

Not a great start to my trip... Aside from the fact that the hostel really is not clean at all, it's very rundown and bleak. Don't go on 4th floor as they're the worst. 2 of 3 bathrooms are out of order and the other didn't have loo roll for the 3 days I was there-even after the cleaner had 'cleaned'. I wouldn't stay again for that money and I've slept in some awful places!! they're ripping people off

4th floor toilet broken. Sheets were clean and free clean towels. Staff went AWOL

Bathroom was horrific, needs updated badly! The toilet didn't even have toilet roll! Bedroom was very basic and the lock didn't work very well which could have left the room open at times ! Overall experience was below average and I wouldn't recommend

The bathroom on the 4th floor was disgusting! Underwear outside the toilet just left there as well!

• 16th Aug 2015

- One bathroom per four dorm rooms was not enough - Shower head broken - Electricity plugs sticking out from the wall, bathroom plug didn't work - Kitchen facilities nonexistent: one burner for the whole hostel, no plates, bowls or cutlery, few pans for cooking, the whole kitchen space fits maybe six guests in total - No wifi in room, only in small kitchen space - Cleaning staff were rude: walked into our room before check out time and started cleaning while we were still packing

• 15th Aug 2015

Lovely and big hostel room with just one double bed.. However it was extremely expensive. Over $60 for just one night.

• 15th Aug 2015

Great hostel, excellent staff and the price is great, good location also.

At first it was very expensive for a bad room that smelled. Then we switched room to one that couldn't close the window, but was without smell. Got no info from staff about toilets, showers or kitchen. First day we showered COLD, when we told then about the water they said the showers were complex and should be maneuvered in a special way. So second day we could shower warm. Free coffee in the moring - good. No info about it - bad. No security in the building, just walk in!?

• 8th Aug 2015