Central Station Hostel Reviews

Steenhouwerssteeg 5, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Everyone warns other potention bookers about the stairs and while yes, they are ungodly steep (as well as plentiful) my biggest turn off of the place was the intensely claustrophobic conditions inside. The place is SO small it's unbearable. I stayed in an 8 bed room with the ensuite toilet. Because of the nonexistent hallways (just tiny landings at the top of stairs), nonexistent common space/lobby and nonexistent outdoor space you feel cramped for every minute you have to be at the hostel.

• 12th Jun 2014

I arrived late at night the guy at the front desk was pretty rude. The hostel has no space in it except for the room itself. There are not common areas, and the corridors are extremely tight. It is about the same price as all the other hostels, so your not saving money by staying here. Also note that it is not in central station despite it's name. No bang for your buck, try somewhere else!

Great staff, very good location, Rashid helped with general area information and taxi's as well as bars to visit

• 5th Jun 2014
  • All Male Group, 25-30

Ran out of toilet paper. No common room (hard to use the internet when there's no seating and the bunks are so low!). Hard to find and so many stairs!

Great location. All hostel has is 6 rooms split over 3 floors with 10 beds in each room. It does get warm/hot. But for a central place to sleep its good.

Hello kim thanks for your stay. Not all our rooms are 10 dorm. we also have 4 dorm and 6 dorm room. staff

It was a little hole in the wall hostel. I stayed for two nights. The night staff wasn't friendly at all. I wouldn't stay here again

The staff was very helpful, but the wifi did not work and the toilet areas were a bit messy even before others had arrived. It was a bit overpriced for such a place, but you have to expect this in the city of Amsterdam. Overall, it was a good night of sleep. The friendliness of the staff and visitors made up for the lack of wifi.

I like the hostels' staffs (rashid, ibrahim, and another rashid). They are friendly and helpful. I think the shower needs to be fixed. The water either too hot or too cold. Other than the water/shower problem, this hostel is good enough compare to some other hostels I've been.

• 24th May 2014

It was a very clean hostel, hot showers and a really good location. If they'res a group of you travelling this place is great as it's close to all the attractions. However if they'res only one or two of you and you want to meet people I wouldn't stay here as they don't have a common room. During our stay it rained in Amsterdam so we headed back to the hostel however as others was asleep it was difficult to talk so we ended up on our phones. Not what we came travelling for. Good wifi though.

Good, clean hostel with friendly staff. Does not have a common area.

The staff was very upbeat, helpful and friendly!

• 13th May 2014

The beds are so so skinny! I felt like I was going to fall out of the top bunk onto the floor all night. Not the best atmosphere either. Don't expect to meet people here... But it did the trick. A bed close to the centre of Amsterdam.

Great location

Staff was very friendly, hostel's location is perfect in centre of the city. Our room was very clean and comfortable. Thank you Central Station Hostel.

• 2nd May 2014
  • Turkey
  • All Male Group, 25-30

Could you please send me your email as we left our keys at reception but didn't pick up our deposits as we had an early check out and didn't do it the night befor! Other than that very happy with service and cost and excellent location!!! Thanks! Dean

• 2nd May 2014
  • Wales

Great place, great staff. Only bad thing is that they didn´t have any computers.

• 27th Apr 2014
  • eddiewouldgo2
  • Costa Rica

Just on the outskirts of the Red light district this hostel is easy to find and is in the most ideal place you could ever wish for. We wandered round aimlessly and still found it without a map. I recommend this hostel to anyone. The staff are great, the beds are really comfy with good bedding. The showers and bathroom are very good. This hostel is situated next to a bike hire and you can get a discount from staying here. It;s a must and worth every penny! I'd love to go back!

• 21st Apr 2014

The Hostel is initially a little difficult to find, but it was made much easier by the emailed instructions which were much appreciated. The staircase is a little steep, but nothing can be done about that and I'm told it's an old Dutch trait. Overall the staff were very friendly and helpful. They might want to look into an alternate space for keeping check-out travellers bags, as for their own sake the main office area gets filled up with bags very quickly.

My friends and I traveled to three different cities and Central Hostel was definitely the best. It took us a while to find a hostel in Amsterdam. The reviews given for most hostels was about the size of the toilet and cleanliness (rats). But Central Hostel was not what as expected from all these reviews. It was clean and the toilet was actually good, and the staff was really friendly.

• 13th Apr 2014
  • Malaysia
  • All Male Group, 18-24

I thought this hostel was really great. The only downside is that it seems sketchy to walk into and the stairs up to the reception are very steep and creepy but the room was great for the amount of people in it. The shower was great and there were enough outlets and lockers for everyone.