Chaltunha Hostel San Miguel Flores Reviews

San Miguel, Flores Peten, Flores, Guatemala

Stunning hillside location which gives a feeling of seclusion and peace while still being very easy to get to Flores Island - the best of both worlds. Neil and his wife are extremely attentive to every need, the swimming pool is wonderful, the included breakfast good, the dorms super comfortable and clean and every meal that I had at the restaurant was excellent. Neil and his family have created a real treasure here - I'm not sure budget accommodation gets better than this anywhere.

This place is great! Neil sends you an email the day before you arrive with super helpful info about where to go with a map and a picture. This hostel isn't actually on Flores island...you take a water taxi across to San Miguel. Only takes about ten minutes and your first time over is free. The view from the hostel makes the trip over totally worth it! They have a good restaurant attached to the hostel. They have a nice pool too!

Neil was lovely and really helped us out, we couldnt thank him enough we definately recommend his hostel.

• 20th Jun 2014

Very nice stay in a beautiful place with view over Flores Island

This hostel is beautiful, peaceful, clean, spacious, and above all the owner, Neil, is willing to help you with anything and everything at just about any hour of the day! He was such a help with booking buses and tours etc and at reasonable prices. It was nice to be out of the crowds and noise of Flores.

• 7th Jun 2014

We took quickly to the friendly staff and delicious food. They worked hard to accommodate our food allergies.

• 3rd Jun 2014
  • Mixed Group, 41+

I enjoyed this hostel as it had a great pool / hammock area, and a fantastic view of Flores island. The hostel is located across the lake, which you can only access by water colectivo, which can be inconvenient if you want to grab groceries or dinner. The cabins with a bathroom in it are worth the extra money, otherwise the toilet block is outside and it frequently rains. A basic breakfast is included and they owners are more than happy to help you with whatever you need. I enjoyed my stay

The hostel was perfect, everything I expected. The beds were great, the shower was warm, the hammocks soft, the pool was perfect. The view was amazing. Neil was a great host and very helpful. I have recommended the hostel to several people now, because I had such a great time there. Also, i found the little boat rides across the lake really fun :)

Great view over Flores, Pool is nice (it's meant to be green, ask owner ;)), Staff/owner very helpful, familiar atmosphere, no kitchen, bar closed early but ok since most people leave for sunrise to go to Tikal. Nice atmosphere - feels like jungle-lodge. Liked staying there. Good value for money!

Amazing little hostel just off the island, great place to stay - especially when its hot as the pool and hammocks overlooking the lake and island of Flores are a perfect place to relax after a big day. Only a 5 minute walk from the hostel to the dock, and then a 3 minute, 5Q boat ride over to Flores. The owner Neil is also an absolute legend, super accomodating and going out of his way to make sure you have everything you need.

Really nice place if your looking for somewhere quiet to stay the owners are extremely helpful with everything. the food here is also really delicious. Nice place to relax for a couple of days !

The best place to stay in Flores, the view is amazing, the hosts fantastic, just the ideal base for holidays in paradise.

• 19th Apr 2014

The level of service in this hostel is amazing from meeting you and taking you over to the hostel, to provide sandwiches for breakfast for early morning leavers. The view is also incredible. I would recommend this place to people who maybe have some time to relax in a Flores as it may be a bit out of the way for those on a tight schedule.

Neil and Beatrice were wonderful hosts. They were so nice and helpful with arranging all of our travel plans and our tour to Tikal. With the view, the hammocks and the pool, it felt like being at a resort. Thank you so much, we had a great stay!

The best hostel I ever had !!! Neil and his wife are amazing (owner) they do evrything single thing to make you feel good ! Dorms are clean and i loved the litle house on pole ( like in the movie the beach ) in the midle of the forest ! Peacefull ans you will enjoy the pool and the view on the top of the hill of 180degree on the lake and flores as well ! Dont think about it and book !!! Nicholas

Loved it here! Neill and his wife were so welcoming & their property is stunning - amazing grounds and stunning views of Flores island itself. Breakfast is even served until noon and if you're taking an early Tikal trip they even provide sandwiches instead! I was a tad worried about the need to take a boat each time I wanted to go onto Flores island but it was easy, quick & cheap - no problem! It's also walking distance to a beautiful beach and look-out which not many people seem to know about.

We loved our stay there. Neil was a great host. The hostal is located on San Miguel island, you can easy get there with a 5min lancha ride from Flores. From the hostal you have an amazing view of Flores,the food is very tasty. The swimming pool is an absolutely bonus!!!

I wouldn't look any further than this hostel. It is an absolute haven. Chilled, safe, clean, couldn't ask for much more. Excellent breakfast included, good wifi in the common area, clean rooms and bathroom. Neil is the perfect host, having information for everything you could need. He and his family are incredibly generous and caring. Met some great people and loved our time in Flores, this is the perfect place to stay.

One of the nicest and most peaceful hostels I've visited in Central America. The area is spacious, clean and has amazing views (from the bar, hammock area and pool). Food is great, and breakfast is included. The owners are so hospitable. I struggled to leave after a week as I felt so at home. I'd recommend staying there over staying in the centre of Flores (a very safe neighbourhood, and it's only a 2minute boat ride to the town if you want restaurants and bars).

We had an absolutely fantastic stay at the Chaltunha hostel, Neil and his wife are so welcoming and friendly. They make you feel at home and the view from the hostel over looking Flores island is just beautiful. There are lots of walks nearby, the zoo, the animal sanctuary and the boat to Flores is super cheap, only 75p each way per person. The food t the hostel is great too and happy hour even better! All in all a great stay and one of the best hostels I've been to!

• 28th Feb 2014