Chaltunha Hostel San Miguel Flores Reviews

San Miguel, Flores Peten, Flores, Guatemala

Loved it here! Neill and his wife were so welcoming & their property is stunning - amazing grounds and stunning views of Flores island itself. Breakfast is even served until noon and if you're taking an early Tikal trip they even provide sandwiches instead! I was a tad worried about the need to take a boat each time I wanted to go onto Flores island but it was easy, quick & cheap - no problem! It's also walking distance to a beautiful beach and look-out which not many people seem to know about.

We loved our stay there. Neil was a great host. The hostal is located on San Miguel island, you can easy get there with a 5min lancha ride from Flores. From the hostal you have an amazing view of Flores,the food is very tasty. The swimming pool is an absolutely bonus!!!

I wouldn't look any further than this hostel. It is an absolute haven. Chilled, safe, clean, couldn't ask for much more. Excellent breakfast included, good wifi in the common area, clean rooms and bathroom. Neil is the perfect host, having information for everything you could need. He and his family are incredibly generous and caring. Met some great people and loved our time in Flores, this is the perfect place to stay.

One of the nicest and most peaceful hostels I've visited in Central America. The area is spacious, clean and has amazing views (from the bar, hammock area and pool). Food is great, and breakfast is included. The owners are so hospitable. I struggled to leave after a week as I felt so at home. I'd recommend staying there over staying in the centre of Flores (a very safe neighbourhood, and it's only a 2minute boat ride to the town if you want restaurants and bars).

We had an absolutely fantastic stay at the Chaltunha hostel, Neil and his wife are so welcoming and friendly. They make you feel at home and the view from the hostel over looking Flores island is just beautiful. There are lots of walks nearby, the zoo, the animal sanctuary and the boat to Flores is super cheap, only 75p each way per person. The food t the hostel is great too and happy hour even better! All in all a great stay and one of the best hostels I've been to!

• 28th Feb 2014

The owner really cares that you enjoy your stay and will go out of his way to help you out. He has some great ideas for the place and would love to come back in the future. Gave me a great tour of some of the local ruins, fantastic day. Nice views of the town and relaxed atmosphere

If you're thinking of staying here - just do it. It's a beautiful hostel, ideally located across from Flores island. The views are wonderful, the grounds are beautiful and relaxing and Neil and his staff so welcoming. Enjoy!

Probably the best hostel I've ever stayed in. The views are outstanding from the terrace. The rooms are good and are away from the bar. The addition of a pool is a welcome change from most hostels (the tiles are green not the water for all the dumb people who put is dirty!!!). The service is exceptional, Neil and his family make you feel very welcome. A point to note when first arriving on flores don't buy any trips until you speak to Neil he'll help you not get ripped off by lying agents!

• 3rd Feb 2014

Had a great visit at Chaltunha. Was a bit tricky getting to the hostel (via a short boat ride from Flores), but it has an unbeatable view of Flores, and is situated on beautiful green grounds, more than making up for any location deficiencies. Neil (the owner) was absolutely wonderful and incredibly helpful, arranging early morning ferry travel and my trip to Tikal & Belize. Really was a nice relaxing stay (although be warned - local roosters might keep u up from time to time lol) Check it out!

This hostel is so warm and inviting. Impeccable views of the city, excellent staff and support, and the best mojitos in Flores!

You have to take a boat to get to the hostel. But get a awesome view of Flores!

Neil is super nice! The hostel has a very beautiful view of the lake and Flores.

We had cold shower and you have to get a boat and walk to get in to the hostel, I don´t recomend this place, it´s much better stay in Flores itself and not in San Miguel.

Thanks for your response. At the point of check in I explained whichever showers have hot water and which didn't. I am sorry if you ended up in the cold shower. I do believe its is unfair to negatively review us so hard. When making a reservation all this information is there.

I just loved it!

We only had one night there. Got really cold at night, little bedding. But liked cabin and location lovely. View over Flores wonderful. Neil was a great host, very helpful with good advice. Went for an interesting local walk in the morning. Fun crossing from Flores in wooden boat!

The place is nice, family is nice, the gardener Mario is super nice, the dog is nice, views and pool are perfect. But, don´t buy any tour or bus ticket from Neil. I ended up paying 3 times more for a bus to Guatemala City than the regular price at bus station. And that was after asking if the price he offered was the same.

Thanks very much for commenting on your experience here at Chaltunha Hostel. Please give me a chance to elaborate on the ticket situation in Flores. If anyone go to the bus station and pay for their ticket, yes it will be cheaper. However if one wants the convenience of buying their tickets via travel agent or hostel travel desk then it will be more expensive. I don't set prices of the tickets the travel agency I use do that. I appologise to this guest and I will be more transparent.

Excellent hostel in Flores, we stay two nights just in our way to Tikal. Neil is an excellent host, he is always aware of the people that stays there. The location is excellent because is fresher than in the island. You don't have to worry about crossing the lake, there are boats all the day and in case you need anything (tours, transportation, boats, information...), Neil will help you. We recommend it a lot!!!!

The best view over the lake and Flores! The owner Neil and his staff Oscar were very helpful, great and friendly people. We spent over a week in Flores. Neil has a new second hostel (Chaltunha Hostel Flores Island) in the center of Flores which is a nice place to stay, too. Neil will help you with nearly everything you need. We recommend it a lot!

Very good hostel. It had a calm vibe and Neil is very helpful! I recommend!