Chaltunha Hostel San Miguel Flores Reviews

San Miguel, Flores Peten, Flores, Guatemala

100% review might sound like I'm not being serious, but that's honestly the case. Neil made my stay the best of all my Central America travels and that's why I've been there twice. On this trip, he hired a local woman to climb a million steps at 8:30 at night with a stove and propane tank to cook empanadas for my girlfriend for her birthday. We were served in a treehouse with chocolate cake and coffee. For my girl's first time out of country, this will be a memory she will never forget. Ever.

• 11th Mar 2015

The owner of the hostel Neil was so nice and helpful! He did everything and a little bit more for all the guest.

• 9th Mar 2015
  • Finland

We loved the view of Flores and chilled out atmosphere here. Slightly inconvienent if you have to boat to Flores often, but for us it was well worth the trip. We would stay here again and recommend it to friends!

You can find a great service in this hostel. The view from the hostel is also beautiful. For me the main problem was the matrix. It wasn’t comfortable at all. On the other hand, it is a good place if you want to be isolate, because San Miguel has only a couple of little grocery stores so you should cross the Lake and pay for the boat every time you need to do anything: take a shuttle, go to ATM, have a meal in a restaurant or buy food.

The owner of the hostel was very accommodating.

• 1st Mar 2015
  • Couple, 41+

Amazing place and Neil is the man. Totally recommend to anyone. One issue we had though - booking a Tikhal day trip through the hostel costs more than what others charged. Don't think they are trying to swindle anyone, but just fyi to others - shop around the travel agencies would be better I think. But again, one of the best places I've stayed for the money and in general. Beautiful view and super chill atmosphere. Will stay there again if I come back!

Lovely lodge with a great view, good hot showers and clean bathrooms. Friendly staff, good food but expensive. Don't buy any tours or shuttle's here, they are also very expensive (150% of the price u pay in Flores)

It's a great hostel hands down. The only problem is that it can be a little difficult to get to and there is a curfew since the boats running to the island stop running around 10 at night.

Neill, the owner, is a extremely friendly and helpful guy. He is full of information on what to do in the area and when you leave early in the morning (4 o clock) he will bring you to make sure your safe. It has a nice garden, a refreshing pool and the best views over the lake and the island of Flores. In the evening you can enjoy the beautiful sunset while enjoying a cold beer or cocktail on the terrace. The price is good and you can enter Flores by boat for 10 quetzales each 5 minutes.

We have spend there some nights. Neill is a great host and really helpful. He does his very best in helping you in every question. I've been robbed in Tikal and I do not know what would have happend to me without his help!. Thanks again and I'm sure that I'm going to visit this beautiful place again! :) There is just one girl at the reception which is not really able to do anything :(

Love the view and the service. The owner was very kind to pick us up and party for the tuk tuk to the boat back to Flores. It was a magnificent experience staying in the chalet.

• 30th Jan 2015
  • Couple, 41+

This was truly the best hostel experience I've ever had. At first I was concerned about the location, since its across the lake from Flores in San Miguel, but it is SO MUCH BETTER than staying in Flores. It is much more peaceful and lowkey, with an extraordinary view of the island, which is easily accessible by water taxi. The owner staff are wonderful

This hostel is over the other side of the lake and you have to catch a boat over from the main part of Flores nonetheless the incredible views are worth the inconvenience! The staff were very helpful and friendly however, one night we went over to the mainland for dinner and organised for a boat to pick us up at 11pm and it never showed up. This meant that we were entirely stranded and had to wait until morning to get back. The wifi was also quite slow. Tthe hostel itself was lovely!

Best hostel.A safe place to sleep in the jungle like setting.If anyone has anything negative to say about this place, they spend to much time complaining.anywhere in the world you would be paying double.

Only had one key to 5 bedroom dorm so it was always unlocked. No lockers or lock boxes in the rooms. Owner Neil is super helpful and said he had a security box you could use if you wanted. None of us did and our things were fine. Felt very safe there even though it wasn't in the town of Flores. Pool is awesome and view is well worth it.

• 12th Jan 2015

Hostel is located on the island next to Flores, you need a 5 minute boat ride to get there. Rooms are nice bungalows. They have good food, good common area, hammocks, a swimming pool and a really nice view to the lake where you can watch amazing sunsets. The only issue is that they don't have lockers and you have to leave your valuables with the owners. Neil, the owner is just a really helpful, calm and polite gentleman. He will help you with whatever you need.

Exceptional hostel owner, went out of his way to help us and make our stay as comfortable as possible. The only downfall was no cooking facilities for guests, but the restaurant food was very good and affordable. We personally enjoyed staying off the island of Flores, as the short (2-5 minutes) boat trip was enjoyable. Great value for money!

The front of the hostel and the common areas are gorgeous and amazing!! Pool, hammocks, view over the lake! No private lockers, only 1 key for a dorm, path to the cabins is unlit. the cabins are right behind some farms(?) the chickens, dogs, cats, etc. are VERY loud. The bathrooms remind me of summer camp.

Fantastic view, friendly service, beautiful pool and terrace area. The food was good and Neil provided lots of information about tours etc. The prices you pay for shuttles and tours are a bit more expensive that what you would pay in town. The internet was pretty slow and unreliable and there were no hot showers. The view of sunset over Flores will probably make you forget all that anyway.

Awesome chill out location. Neal is a great host.