Changsha International Youth Hostel Reviews

No.61 Gongshang Lane, Dongfeng Road, Changsha, China

This hostel has gone downhill since the last time I visited 4 years ago. They've modernized the look of the place and made it more energy-efficient, but the staff and facilities are not as good as before. Both washing machines AND the dryer were all broken when I got there, but no notice on them. After spending 4 hours trying to wash my clothes, I figured out the problem and fixed one of the washing machines for them. They couldn't provide me with any information on the long-distance buses, etc.

A great place to stay. Clean, dorms were nice, great air-con, hot and powerful showers, beds were quite hard... but welcome to China ha! Good location right next to street food, supermarkets, and bus stop. They also show a film most nights in the common area. WiFi is good too.

It took the girl about 45 minutes to check us in because of the language barrier. The bathrooms were pretty gross and the shower curtains covered in mold. The wifi worked best in the lobby but it was pretty dreary and freezing cold. We had a couple of us in the dorms and a couple of us in the private rooms. The private rooms are amazing and super nice. The dorms, however, were not. They also have a freaky, tail-less cat running around that we weren't fans of.

The private rooms are nice but the dorms are vile. There was black mold on the ceiling, feces smeared on the bathroom walls, and mold on the shower curtains. The bathrooms were not cleaned nor the trash emptied in the two days we were there. The dorms have squatters. The staff speaks little English so is not able to help you. Don't stay here unless you get a private room.

OK hostel, but not very clean, run-down facilities, slightly rude and uncaring staff. I came during the winter and the heating system was pretty lousy. Also, the hostel is difficult to find and they don't give any directions from the bus-stop (why don't they draw a map?). There aren't many hostels to choose from in Changsha, so I feel like this hostel doesn't really have much competition and as a result doesn't care much about keeping things high quality. Just my opinion.

One of those hostels you're anxious to leave. The permanent smell on the 2nd floor was bad. Had to hold my breath for a few days walking in the hallway. Lukewarm showers. The staff weren't very friendly but they're human. I did see one of the cleaning people in the bathroom spit on the floor right near the entrance of the washroom which I thought was strange being that there was a trash can and a sink 2 feet away. Location is great though. But avoid unless emergency or desperate :)

Unhelpful. Hard to find . Is ok but expect no help whatsoever.

Good location in Changsha, 20 mins walk away from Martyrs' Park and next to a cool old neighbourhood area of alleyways and a different, traditional way of life. Rooms are a bit basic but there actually was hot water available in the mornings contrary to their description. Not all the staff speak English so be aware. Atmosphere was sadly quite lacking, not many other travellers from outside of China. Would not recommend ordering the burger or fries, overpriced. A decent if unremarkable hostel.