Changsha International Youth Hostel Reviews

No.61 Gongshang Lane, Dongfeng Road, Changsha, China

Great location. Great staff. Squatter toilets. :)

Took 30 minutes to check in because they couldn't find the key. Then he finally gave me one but 4 hours later at 6 am I was woken up demanding they key back! Staff did not speak any English. Not only that but I swear the toilets there have never been cleaned. Bad location to top it all off.

No English speaking staff. Poor location. Snacks and breakfast only at the hostel.

Friendly staff. Really nice common areas, but not that nice WC and shower rooms. The location is good, easy to take the bus into downtown or to the train station (make sure to get to the right one though, speed trains departure from Changsha South!)

The staff was deffenetly the best part of my experience with the hostel. The rooms where very clean, and the atmosphere was excellent. Plus the food they serve is quite good too. I can recommend staying here!

Really great hostel. The newly renovated rooms are hotel-quality for backpacker/budget rates. The staff's English is OK. The location is a bit far from anything the tourists might want to do, but right on the city bus line which makes it easy to connect anywhere. Good place, highly recommended.

Absolutely first class. Very much like a European backpacker hostel. Cool decor, rooms are comfortable and clean, towels and shampoo etc provided. Staff are all great, the ones I met could speak at least basic English. Very helpful in helping to plan trip etc. Only complaint is the wifi only works in the main foyer. But as that is a nice place to hang out, it's no big deal.

While it was OK in most ways, the hostel room was not very clean, and had a worrying smell... I don't know if it was just the other guests in that room or not, but either way, this was the only hostel I've stayed in so far in China that I was happy to leave. The hard-sleeper train I left on was a relief, which says something! It is a pity, because they staff and most of the facilities were fine, but sleeping in the room was not good.

All things perfect!!

Bearly speak english. It was difficult to communicate. But the rooms were ok. They had movie night. They couldn't arrange a taxi for me, maybe because of the location, but I had a taxi from the trainstastion to the hostel (in front of the door). A lot of noise in the hallway early in the morning.

good small place, my room was private but had some mold problems but as i only needed a bed to sleep it wasn't to bad. nice location, not to central but easy to go to places

A reasonable enough hostel located not too far away from major attractions. Staff spoke quite good English and were very helpful in assisting me with my time in Changsha. Beds were fine but unfortunately the cleanliness of the room floor and bathroom let the place down. All in all a great place if you just want to use it to sleep, but don't expect to have much fun there or meet other western travellers.

• 29th Mar 2014

Nice place and friendly staff.

Though the worse experience had to do with two Chinese Guests chewing god knows what herbs all night long and spitting it in the floor, one cannot hold the hostel accountable for other guests. The Rooms: Pretty darn dirty. My room had table full of dirty dishes (WTF) and a closet full of dirty clothes (cluttered). Looks like some of the guests live there. The Staff: They speak barely any English and are quite rude. We stayed one night and left.

Great wifi and VERY helpful staff - they even helped sort out a late notice train ticket for me.

• 7th Feb 2014

I really liked how the lobby and the reception area looks, and I found the postcards you sell great and unique. Best gifts from Changsha to my friends!

• 6th Feb 2014
  • Hungary

it's a really great place in the city. guys here were all kind-heart people.the price is good for long time stay out there. beds are convenient but not easy to get up onto top.bathrooms are clean also.

Pros: good location (especially once the provincial museum gets rebuilt -- promised in 2015), competent staff, clean rooms, all the basics you need from a hostel, cats. Cons: The humidity of Changsha seems to be taking a toll on some of the interior, and it was drafty when I visited in early February. Also note: I didn't see much of the cafe, and the private bathrooms I saw have squat toilets.