Charlestons NotSo Hostel Reviews

156 Spring St., Charleston, USA

I had a great stay at the Notso Hostel! The staff and other visitors were very friendly and helpful, and I felt extremely safe/comfortable there.

• 4th Nov 2015

I don't write a lot of reviews but when I do there must be a reason. I left the hostel after the first night because my whole body hurts after one night. The mattress was so bed that I felt every spring in it. It simple hurts. Do your self a favor and don't go there.

Liked location, price, some staff, reception area. Hated going up & down steep flight of stairs to use bathroom. 2 bathrooms for entire bldg. 2 kitchens separated by stairs; guests' food in kitchen B w/ only functioning microwave, coffee maker in kitchen A; not 5 spoons in entire bldg. Found man asleep in kitchen B. Next day asked (unfriendly!) staff member, was told he had forgotten his key. Same prob next night, but guest pounded repeatedly on door. Overnight problems left for guests to solve!

One - late at night someone pounded on the back door for 20 mins. The other girl and I in our room were traveling alone and no one from the hostel was around. A man staying in another room went down and dealt with it but it would be better if a manager lived onsite. Two - the beds are covered in vinyl and very noisy which makes it hard to sleep. Three - the rooms are muggy. Four - There are two bathrooms in the main house, both have mold in the shower. Five - not all the staff is friendly.

• 8th Oct 2015

Really cool place, only thing I'd say is there isn't really a good central hang out area.

Very nice and friendly hostel located just a 10-15 minute walk from the main street of bars and restaurants in Charleston, really enjoyed my time there.

The NotSo hostel is a great place to stay and the price is also very good. The only thing what is pretty strange is that the check-in is only between 05:00pm and 10:00pm. Try to plan that. I didn't and I had to wait.

A beautiful hostel, operated by friendly staff, with a great community atmosphere. Highly recommended!

I liked the hostel very much, clean and you get the breaky. What was unusual is the fact, that there wasnt anybody from the stuff for the whole time, only in the office hours. For the hostel is quite weird. If you need any help, there is nobody to take care of you.

There was a huge cockroach in one of the bathroom. The fire alarm went on at 4 am one night with no person from the staff present to turn it off.

Nice, laid back place, easy city to walk in or make use of a free trolley nearby. Hostel is not a party hostel but comfortable. A sink in rooms would be good if they do not want to increase number of bathrooms. Get here between 5pm and 10pm go check in otherwise you'll be stuck. Hardly saw the staff but when I did, they were very helpful and kind.