Chateau Franz Backpackers Reviews

8-10 Cron Street, Franz Josef, New Zealand

I arrived in Franz Josef, bathed in sunshine. The CFB receptionist was welcoming and helpful ... key, room and instructions were dealt with promptly.The bed was comfortable, the ablutions clean and tidy. I noticed staff members were very available and interacted freely among their guests. The decorated walls and ceiling made interesting conversation.

• 15th Apr 2015
  • New Zealand

Awesome hostel ! Fantastic staff! Free bfast, dinner, unlimited WiFi.. Campfire free to use on cold nights.. Definitely . Stay hereagain!

This place was fun and had lots of perk. The free breakfast, soup and popcorn were great. It's a big place so there are lots of opportunities to meet people. It is also super close to the Fox and Franz Josef glaciers. Unfortunately, it was lacking in cleanliness. They try to keep it clean, but there are just so many spaces to clean I don't think they can get it all. Everything seems a bit run down and as if it needs a real honest scrub but that just doesn't seem like it's going to happen.

The friendly staff assigned us to the staples dorm and at first we were positive about the hostel. It wasn't until the night that we changed our opinions. We felt that our legs were itching & some of us kept scratching for an hour or, eventually to fall asleep. I.t. morning it became clear that some of us had up to 25 red itching spots on their legs. Something was definetly hiding between the sheets. On top of that did we abstain from showering, it was too gross.Clean your beds Chateau Franz!

Overall my stay was amazing.. I opted for a deluxe double, clean and tidy with my own bathroom and fridge. I found the kicker was untidy and unclean but this is due to other backpackers not cleaning up after themselves. I found the staff super helpful and always available. Parking was good.. it was really quiet so I had a peaceful stay. My only mark down would be the spa wasn't very goof didn't really work but I'd defo come back to stay again! Great value for money!! :)

• 4th Apr 2015
  • New Zealand

Brilliant hostel, such a good atmosphere, nice rooms and the free breakfast and soup don't hurt either!!

• 3rd Apr 2015
  • New Zealand

Breakfast included in rate. thats great. friendly helpful staff Met lots of interesting people.

Nice place, kind staff. Free dinner!

• 29th Mar 2015
  • Sweden

Kitchen was really small, but I loved loved loved the free soup and baked goods, and it was nice to have a campfire.

Party place, real backpackers hostel, but not enough bathrooms and toilets, which are pretty dirty as well, free breakfast was nice thing (toasts with jam and/or muesli with milk) and free wifi, just if you don't enjoy party atmosphere till 4 am you won't like it

We found the staff wonderfuly friendly helpful and willing. Just loved the space and the extra effort to help us out . Thanks franz.

• 22nd Mar 2015
  • Couple, 41+

vary nice spot, rustic lounge area and a short walk to everything in town. staff very helpful and booked rides for us with no hassle. Will definitely go back.

Loved the free food, that is always a bonus. It is good to advertise that because that is why we chose you over the others. It was unfortunate that the spa times weren't posted. My friend and I tramped the frigid glow worm tunnel and were really looking forward to getting into the spa, after getting back we changed and came back outside in our togs the gates were locked :(

Facilities were a bit dated and the kitchens were pretty dirty...particularly from the guests leaving dishes/food everywhere. However, that part is less the hostel's fault. On the positive side, free wifi throughout the complex, multiple kitchens/lounges to utilize, a nice big deck, easy shuttle/bus access, helpful staff, and of course the free breakfast/soup is always a plus

Amazing atmosphere and very good hostel wit free breakfast, free soup, free wifi, free Spa... Best hostel I stayed in! Don't hesitate to go!

Best hostel in NZ so far - loved the common room, free dinner and breakfast and the spa... Staff extremely helpful

Free WiFi, free soup and breakfast (don't be late or it will all be gone!), free international landline phone calls. Good location, nice kitchen.

This is a nice hostel and only a short walk from the main street. We had a private room in the ski lodge which was nice. The kitchen and bathroom we shared with one other room were also decent enough. A big downside was the free wifi not working in our room. It only worked in the communal area for us. We stayed there in February and were eaten by sandflies in the communal area so stock up on insect repellant. The treats in the evening were a nice touch too!!

Great hostel! They did a BBQ cookup in the evening for just $5, and later on there was even a complementary shuttle service to a local bar in a limmo! The free soup was a bonus too, and the staff had great suggestions on what to do in the area.

Really good hostel