Chateau Franz Backpackers Reviews

8-10 Cron Street, Franz Josef, New Zealand

Excellent customer service

The Love Shack was really cute, but the second night was really cold. The bathroom are not really clean. The location is great and the staff nice.

This place was amazing!!!!!!!!!! It had the best little rustic vibe, and the decorations were amazing! They offer free breakfast AND soup and goodies in the night, which was a good dinner to be honest! The staff is very helpful, always happy to answer questions and give good advice on what tours to take (or not to take!)! The shuttle service to and from the glacier walks was really good too and one of the walks even leads back to the town centre - where the hostel is!

Great hostel and nice atmosphere, free soup and breakfast are a bonus.... Showers are a bit poor though!

I had a great night at this hostel. It's a very, very small town but I still managed to meet a load of nice people at the hostel area, enjoy a few drinks by the outdoor fire pit, take a night walk to see some glowworms in the woods, and then end up at the local pub (I think we were the only ones there). The bed was comfortable and the free soup for dinner was nice :)

Nice place, changed to a private room so can't comment on the hostel side of things. Location was good, although not much in the town anyway (probably only in FJ to see the glaciers) all in all we had a pleasant stay.

I found the staff very friendly with an excellent location and great facilities!

Best surprise of the trip! Highly recommend Love Shack #2. Great atmosphere, free soup and DVDs and wifi, all around one of the best parts of my trip!

Free soup and breads and meat pies for dinner, and breads in morning. The large double room was ok...the 27 NZ double (the love shack) is tiny, like a camper, red velour and mirror on ceiling.

Good hostel - only complaint is it got cold at night and the provided blankets were woefully inadequate

We enjoyed this hostel for the short time we were in Franz Josef. Ben, the activities guy (or something), was quite friendly, and we ended up participating in a few events: bar crawl, BBQ, and hike. This worked out, since our glacier tour was cancelled due to weather. The location is great (hard not to be, with a town this small), there is lots of common space to hang out in, and in general we had a great time.

you´re felt lost sometimes, when nobody was there to answer your questions

• 24th Nov 2014

Very nice hostel

Nice place, loved the free soup. The location in Franz Josef is good. Its a big hostel, it can be a little bit croweded when they are fully booked.

Lovely place to stay, we had a private room with ensuite which was really nice, complete with a kitchenette. Great kitchen, lounge area. Free homemade soup every night and breakfast every morning really brings everyone together and creates a great atmosphere. PS. Hit them up for a free stretch hummer ride through town to one of the local bars.

The kitchen is terrible. All pans, knifes and cutterly are outdated, heavily damaged or unusable, the kitchen space is too small for the size of the hostel and most stoves doesn't work at all! The free soup is nice but doesn't make up for it. We liked the free light breakfast facility. PS. free wifi!

Great location. Staff were very helpful.

The receptionist laughed down the phone at me when I enquired about a bed for the night. Then after telling me he had one bed left for the night ( which wasn't true, as there were several free beds in the house) he charged me 43 dollars for a bed for one night! When the guy next to me paid only 29?! It was massively overpriced and I wouldn't go back again.

• 23rd Oct 2014

I would like to say that we spendt a lovely couple of day at this hostel. Really nice atmosphere with the other people and the staff. Especially with Elie (Aurelie), the french girl at the reception is always smiling and she 's got a lot of good tips to visit the area and to book some activity. We have even extended our stay one more night to relax and enjoy the place

I absolutely love this place! So many extras! Free spa pool, free unlimited wifi (although with too many people on it, sometimes it's a bit slow), free breakfast, free soup dinner, free blow dryer and hair straightener hire, free towel hire, Alfred popcorn, free movies, and more! Fabulous, friendly staff, I just love Primrose at front desk as she was very friendly and helpful! Great atmosphere. Truly my favourite hostel experience yet! Thanks Chateau Franz!