Chateau Franz Backpackers Reviews

8-10 Cron Street, Franz Josef, New Zealand

Good hostel for visiting glacier country. The free food was a huge plus. Saved $ on meals in this expensive little town!

Good hostel overall - free soup, tasty bakery items and breakfast all included. Only complaint is that our beds were in a communal kitchen/living area which was not very secure.

Great hostel, would definitely stay here again

This hostel was located at a descent location. It was a pretty cool hostel, I really like the style in the main room. The one thing I didn't really appreciate was the fact that when I was checking out, I waited a long while before anyone came to help me. The bathroom that we had was not that clean, there was a spider just hanging around. The dishes in our room were also dirty and we had to wash them.

Great hostel. So nice to have free breakfast, soup, and unlimited wifi. Great location (although Franz Josef is quite small anyway). My only complaints are that the fridge in the upstairs kitchen was leaking and the bathrooms weren't very clean. It also got quite cold at night. The rest was really great though. Nice TV room and fire pit. Outlets, USB portals, and lights at every bed in my room, and good staff.

Honestly the best hostel I've stayed in, in New Zealand. Definitely stay there again!!

• 20th Apr 2015
  • Wales

Great place to stay - comfortable bed, hot tub out back, dart board, nice seating area. Kitchen was also great - one downstairs and one in the next building so never too busy. Free soup at night was awesome and came with baked goods so was really filling. Staff were lovely and overall just a great backpackers.

I arrived in Franz Josef, bathed in sunshine. The CFB receptionist was welcoming and helpful ... key, room and instructions were dealt with promptly.The bed was comfortable, the ablutions clean and tidy. I noticed staff members were very available and interacted freely among their guests. The decorated walls and ceiling made interesting conversation.

• 15th Apr 2015
  • New Zealand

Awesome hostel ! Fantastic staff! Free bfast, dinner, unlimited WiFi.. Campfire free to use on cold nights.. Definitely . Stay hereagain!

Very nice place to stay.

This place was fun and had lots of perk. The free breakfast, soup and popcorn were great. It's a big place so there are lots of opportunities to meet people. It is also super close to the Fox and Franz Josef glaciers. Unfortunately, it was lacking in cleanliness. They try to keep it clean, but there are just so many spaces to clean I don't think they can get it all. Everything seems a bit run down and as if it needs a real honest scrub but that just doesn't seem like it's going to happen.

The friendly staff assigned us to the staples dorm and at first we were positive about the hostel. It wasn't until the night that we changed our opinions. We felt that our legs were itching & some of us kept scratching for an hour or, eventually to fall asleep. I.t. morning it became clear that some of us had up to 25 red itching spots on their legs. Something was definetly hiding between the sheets. On top of that did we abstain from showering, it was too gross.Clean your beds Chateau Franz!

Overall my stay was amazing.. I opted for a deluxe double, clean and tidy with my own bathroom and fridge. I found the kicker was untidy and unclean but this is due to other backpackers not cleaning up after themselves. I found the staff super helpful and always available. Parking was good.. it was really quiet so I had a peaceful stay. My only mark down would be the spa wasn't very goof didn't really work but I'd defo come back to stay again! Great value for money!! :)

• 4th Apr 2015
  • New Zealand

Brilliant hostel, such a good atmosphere, nice rooms and the free breakfast and soup don't hurt either!!

• 3rd Apr 2015
  • New Zealand

Breakfast included in rate. thats great. friendly helpful staff Met lots of interesting people.

Nice place, kind staff. Free dinner!

• 29th Mar 2015
  • Sweden

Kitchen was really small, but I loved loved loved the free soup and baked goods, and it was nice to have a campfire.

Party place, real backpackers hostel, but not enough bathrooms and toilets, which are pretty dirty as well, free breakfast was nice thing (toasts with jam and/or muesli with milk) and free wifi, just if you don't enjoy party atmosphere till 4 am you won't like it

We found the staff wonderfuly friendly helpful and willing. Just loved the space and the extra effort to help us out . Thanks franz.

• 22nd Mar 2015
  • Couple, 41+

vary nice spot, rustic lounge area and a short walk to everything in town. staff very helpful and booked rides for us with no hassle. Will definitely go back.

« first « Prev 1 2 3