Chateau Franz Backpackers Reviews

8-10 Cron Street, Franz Josef, New Zealand

Nice place, changed to a private room so can't comment on the hostel side of things. Location was good, although not much in the town anyway (probably only in FJ to see the glaciers) all in all we had a pleasant stay.

I found the staff very friendly with an excellent location and great facilities!

Best surprise of the trip! Highly recommend Love Shack #2. Great atmosphere, free soup and DVDs and wifi, all around one of the best parts of my trip!

Free soup and breads and meat pies for dinner, and breads in morning. The large double room was ok...the 27 NZ double (the love shack) is tiny, like a camper, red velour and mirror on ceiling.

Good hostel - only complaint is it got cold at night and the provided blankets were woefully inadequate

We enjoyed this hostel for the short time we were in Franz Josef. Ben, the activities guy (or something), was quite friendly, and we ended up participating in a few events: bar crawl, BBQ, and hike. This worked out, since our glacier tour was cancelled due to weather. The location is great (hard not to be, with a town this small), there is lots of common space to hang out in, and in general we had a great time.

you´re felt lost sometimes, when nobody was there to answer your questions

• 24th Nov 2014

Very nice hostel

Nice place, loved the free soup. The location in Franz Josef is good. Its a big hostel, it can be a little bit croweded when they are fully booked.

Lovely place to stay, we had a private room with ensuite which was really nice, complete with a kitchenette. Great kitchen, lounge area. Free homemade soup every night and breakfast every morning really brings everyone together and creates a great atmosphere. PS. Hit them up for a free stretch hummer ride through town to one of the local bars.

The kitchen is terrible. All pans, knifes and cutterly are outdated, heavily damaged or unusable, the kitchen space is too small for the size of the hostel and most stoves doesn't work at all! The free soup is nice but doesn't make up for it. We liked the free light breakfast facility. PS. free wifi!

Great location. Staff were very helpful.

The receptionist laughed down the phone at me when I enquired about a bed for the night. Then after telling me he had one bed left for the night ( which wasn't true, as there were several free beds in the house) he charged me 43 dollars for a bed for one night! When the guy next to me paid only 29?! It was massively overpriced and I wouldn't go back again.

• 23rd Oct 2014

I would like to say that we spendt a lovely couple of day at this hostel. Really nice atmosphere with the other people and the staff. Especially with Elie (Aurelie), the french girl at the reception is always smiling and she 's got a lot of good tips to visit the area and to book some activity. We have even extended our stay one more night to relax and enjoy the place

I absolutely love this place! So many extras! Free spa pool, free unlimited wifi (although with too many people on it, sometimes it's a bit slow), free breakfast, free soup dinner, free blow dryer and hair straightener hire, free towel hire, Alfred popcorn, free movies, and more! Fabulous, friendly staff, I just love Primrose at front desk as she was very friendly and helpful! Great atmosphere. Truly my favourite hostel experience yet! Thanks Chateau Franz!

Great hostel in the tiny town of Franz Josef. The soup is a great bonus and breakfast and wifi too! Although wifi doesn't reach the rooms or the lounge area with the tv. International calls were also awesome, it was fun surprising my family with a real phone call from NZ. Very laid back vibe, no lockers but hey it's NZ your stuff will be fine. The spa was not hot unfortunately, so we just hung out and watched movies which was still great. Would go back!

Had very high expectations for this hostel after reading the reviews. It was a good hostel, but pretty quiet when I was there. Not a lot of interaction or things going on. Fine room and facilities. Nice to have free soup and breakfast! Also the spa wasn't working.

great and lively hostel. very busy. good for a family of 2 adults and 2 children. the spa was working and very good. dinner and breaky free great value.

This is the best hostel I have ever stayed at, and I've stayed at quite a few all over the world! The staff welcome you in as though you are a part of a huge extended family and you've just come home. Free veggie soup, bakery goodies, breakfast, $1 sushi nights, tours, BBQs, firethrowing, hummersine rides and shots at the Blue Ice Cafe. Even if you didn't have anything planned for your time in Franz, simply staying at Chateau is an adventure in itself. Love these guys.

Really great hostel - friendly staff who were always very helpful. Free chocolate fountain set up in kid kitchen when we arrived, a long with free breakfast and dinners which were great quality.