Chateau Franz Backpackers Reviews

8-10 Cron Street, Franz Josef, New Zealand

The receptionist laughed down the phone at me when I enquired about a bed for the night. Then after telling me he had one bed left for the night ( which wasn't true, as there were several free beds in the house) he charged me 43 dollars for a bed for one night! When the guy next to me paid only 29?! It was massively overpriced and I wouldn't go back again.

• 23rd Oct 2014

I would like to say that we spendt a lovely couple of day at this hostel. Really nice atmosphere with the other people and the staff. Especially with Elie (Aurelie), the french girl at the reception is always smiling and she 's got a lot of good tips to visit the area and to book some activity. We have even extended our stay one more night to relax and enjoy the place

I absolutely love this place! So many extras! Free spa pool, free unlimited wifi (although with too many people on it, sometimes it's a bit slow), free breakfast, free soup dinner, free blow dryer and hair straightener hire, free towel hire, Alfred popcorn, free movies, and more! Fabulous, friendly staff, I just love Primrose at front desk as she was very friendly and helpful! Great atmosphere. Truly my favourite hostel experience yet! Thanks Chateau Franz!

Great hostel in the tiny town of Franz Josef. The soup is a great bonus and breakfast and wifi too! Although wifi doesn't reach the rooms or the lounge area with the tv. International calls were also awesome, it was fun surprising my family with a real phone call from NZ. Very laid back vibe, no lockers but hey it's NZ your stuff will be fine. The spa was not hot unfortunately, so we just hung out and watched movies which was still great. Would go back!

Had very high expectations for this hostel after reading the reviews. It was a good hostel, but pretty quiet when I was there. Not a lot of interaction or things going on. Fine room and facilities. Nice to have free soup and breakfast! Also the spa wasn't working.

great and lively hostel. very busy. good for a family of 2 adults and 2 children. the spa was working and very good. dinner and breaky free great value.

This is the best hostel I have ever stayed at, and I've stayed at quite a few all over the world! The staff welcome you in as though you are a part of a huge extended family and you've just come home. Free veggie soup, bakery goodies, breakfast, $1 sushi nights, tours, BBQs, firethrowing, hummersine rides and shots at the Blue Ice Cafe. Even if you didn't have anything planned for your time in Franz, simply staying at Chateau is an adventure in itself. Love these guys.

Really great hostel - friendly staff who were always very helpful. Free chocolate fountain set up in kid kitchen when we arrived, a long with free breakfast and dinners which were great quality.

Best value for money hostel I have come across during my travels. Staff all very helpful.

Very nice people runs this place. They helped us with the next town that we are going to and even gave us vouchers... Clean, friendly and definitely worth staying. Thanks guys.

The Chateau is a cool collection of buildings that are tied together by the free soup, wifi, and popcorn. It's going to look good after renos are finished. Would appreciate having access to wifi in common rooms other than the cold lounge by reception. The bathroom in the Stable is quite small and not always super clean. The six bed room felt cozy without being too crowded.

I liked this hostel, we stayed one night in loveshack was small bit cold so we moved second night to double and paid the extra 10dollars to do so was nice that we were accommodated. Free breakfast is great, choice of breakfast cereals and plenty of bread. Free soup and popcorn yummy too. Would stay again.

Had a lovely two nights here. Perfect hostel; clean and tidy, so no complaints at all!

Double rooms-don't book the cheapest option as it's a tiny caravan with walls built around it

It was amazing! They threw a lovely party for all of us even with a fireshow- because we'd all been waiting so long to do a glacier walk, and it was at no extra cost to us. You guys know how to throw an awesome party! The staff were lovely and friendly and the free soup every night was an extra bonus! Would definitely recommend this to someone and definitely come back if I'm in the area.

• 16th Jun 2014
  • New Zealand

Free trips were great made my visit to Franz Joseph and Glacier area more interesting and enjoyable! Combined with cheap prices definitely advise going here!

No soap in the toilet??? they should provide hand soap! is basic!! Maybe shower gel no but at least soap to wash the hands after using toilet that is basic! Is very nice they give soup and breakfast but something as basic as hand soap in toilet they dont give!!