Che Lagarto Hostel Colonia Reviews

18 de Julio 487, Colonia del Sacramento, Uruguay

We booked the "deluxe" double for more than 4 times the price of a bed in the dorms and it turned out to be terrible value. It looked like the bathroom hadn't been cleaned properly in months. Even a quick cursory wipe over the bathroom tiles would have been an improvement and there was mould all over the walls and shower curtain. The floor was also filthy and wet. When we politely let the staff member know, he just shrugged his shoulders and said "sorry, but I just work here".

The staff is very good but I didn't like this Hostel. I think that it is too small and there is a lack of privacy on the bathrooms and showers. It is a good option for a cheap one night stay.

Nice and friendly staff. One negative point: they have not a good common area. The only big one is outside, just under a roof. In summer great but in winter too cold getting breakfast outside. Kitchen is good equiped and beds are comfortable.

excellent atmosphere, the staff was very helpfull and they organized an asado one night. Bedroom and bathroom was ok

To be honest I didn't really like this hostel, primarily because I thought it was a little unclean... there was a cockroach in our bedroom! Breakfast was poor too, just some bread and one choice of cereal. The location was great and the staff were friendly but I wouldn't stay here again.

Che Lagarto Colonia violated the Hostelworld rules by not honoring the 12 percent deposit I had paid. They charged me USD13 for my stay in addition to the 12 percent deposit I paid (my Hostelworld confirmation indicated I owed USD 11.73 on arrival after taking into account the deposit I'd paid). They argued that the 12 percent deposit was a booking fee owed to Hostelworld. The staff told me the price charged for non Hotelworld bookings is UYU340 instead of UYU360 regardless of any deposit.

Wild hostel as in nature with a nice terrace. Everything seemed good except not enough hot water, only lasts for few minutes then it becomes cold.

Overall nice hostel.

Had a 2 night stay with a friend. The hostel was easy to find and located close to the port, bus station, old town and cash points. Our room had seen better days, but as we were at the back of the property in a private room, it was quiet. Hot water was limited in the shower. Good selection of fruit, cereal and bread at breakfast. Staff were helpful and friendly.

• 22nd Apr 2015

The owner is wonderful and kind, lovely to interact with. She asks how you are in a motherly, loving way. She's eager to help and wants your experience to be great. She's even suggested to go for a walk along the seawall before going to bed to unwind and see the area. The hostel is different, not a far of the bathrooms but the wifi is great! Nice hostel tucked in the old part of the city. If you are looking for a party hostel, this definitely IS NOT it as it is far from the major party scene.

Nice hostel, good staff, very nice patio, very close to terminals (bus and ferry) so you don't have to carry your heavy pack far. Everything is close by in colonia. Only thing was, we killed 3 cockroaches in the girl's dorm. While I understand that this can happen, maybe set up traps when you know you have them in rooms? Hostel is very clean though.

Some of the locks under the beds don't match up so you cannot use them. Everything is spotless clean but unfortunately we had a few cocroaches in our dorm and I also saw some of them crawling in the kitchen. Breakfast is great!

• 8th Apr 2015
  • Czech Republic

Great hostel and great staff. Nice breakfast and clean rooms. Would definitely recommend Che Lagarto hostel.

View all Colonia del Sacramento Hostels