Che Lagarto Hostel Copacabana Reviews

Rua Barata Ribeiro 111 - Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Che Lagarto was a nice hostel, centrally located in Copacabana, 3 blocks from the beach and nearly next to the bus stops. Also, the metro is near. The 10 bed rooms were clean, but not very spaceful. Lockers were huge though. It was a real party hostel, so keep that in mind. Wifi only worked near the reception, and even then it was not always good. Even though, it was a good stay! P.S. While I prefer doing stuff on my own instead of organised tours, the Favela Tour is really recommendable!

• 26th Aug 2015
  • Siros

Lovely hostel close to the beach. Beds were comfortable and the rooms were clean with big lockers for all your bags. I found our room a little noisy as Windows were open and there was a lot of road noise - it didn't bother my friend. Showers were lovely and warm with the exception of one day. Also there was plenty of additional showers outside the rooms which was really great. Staff were friendly and helpful they organised our trips and we're very knowledgeable. Breckfast was lovely.

nice hostel would stay agin

Extremely loud rooms, especially the ones in the cellar, no windows, beds in the upper level are too close to the ceiling, staff is nice, no communal atmosphere.

Great place to stay. Good all rounder! Staff very helpful, especially Carolina!

• 16th Aug 2015

The hostel is in a great location. Only a couple blocks away from the beach, and close to several good restaurants and a major bus stop. Getting to Ipanema and the Corcovado by bus is pretty straightforward from the hostel. Staff is friendly and very helpful.

The staff was very helpful with setting up tours of the city. Pablo and Henrique were excellent!

Sadly this place is now just a corporation that doesn't try to help you save. they will try as hard as posible for you to spend your money their way. be careful with the front desk advise. they will always try to give you an option that may cost you more money. overall is a good place, and the the staff is kind except the security guard.

• 4th Aug 2015
  • Colombia

This hostel is well located and the staff is really helpful that's for the pros. The cons are quite a drawback : they stack way too many people in this hostel. You always feel you don't have the room to do anything. No atmosphere whatsoever. Really dirty, from used condoms on the shower floor, no toilet paper at times, no hot water, clogged sinks... the showers are also toilets so you enter with your dirty shoes and leave mud where you'll shower later. No blanket despite cold AC. Expensive too.

Great place for a couple of nights, people is awesome, breakfast is not that good but it will do the work, the terrace bar is great and has a great wifi signal, but wifi signal in the lobby it was kind of weird and kind of a pain. The location of the hostel is great, couple of blocks from the Copacabana beach, couple of blocks from the Cristo Redentor tickets and bus stop, and one block away from the metro which it will take you to Ipanema, Maracana and really close to SDU airport.

Che Lagarto was in the perfect location. I felt safe and I enjoyed my time there. It was very easy to meet people!

• 29th Jul 2015

The room was small, it was really smelly. Certain staff members were helpful, suggesting places to visit. Other staff seemed too busy for you. Both my friend and I had broken lockers in our room. We told the front desk, and they sent the maintenance guy to fix it. He came and fixed one, and walked away. I told the front desk there was another one still broken, but the maintenance guy never came back. The bathrooms on the 3rd floor are tiny.

Spent my first night in Rio here, it was ok. Quite expensive (you pay for the location, but you can pay half the price somewhere else and get a taxi for not much here) There were no hot showers on my floor, which meant if I wanted a shower I would have had to walk through reception, and there are a lot of low ceilings, so if you are more than 6 ft tall you had better remember to duck!

Great hostel with n amazing atmosphere- the staff retention friendly and very knowledgeable, hostel offers loads of tours for a good price and has boat/roof parties. The kitchen is small nd doesn't have a lot of utensils but we got by. Close to the copacabana beach and to the main bus stops

Had a wonderful stay. I had 1 cold shower but maintenance was scheduled for the following day which fixed the issue. Kind and friendly staff. Wifi worked well downstairs but didn't work the best for me in my room. Breakfast was nice. In a great location close to Copacabana beach. Only criticism was on my 1st night. At 4am there was confusion over the bed placements. 2 staff members entered our room with a guest & debated the scenario with each other instead of working through it at reception.

Nothing was great about my stay. The staff, breakfast, and beds were good enough. The bathrooms could have been cleaner. Other patrons mainly spoke Spanish. The thing that ruined it for me was that the water went out. For half a day. After a night dancing, I returned to find no water to wash with, and all the toilets are stagnant. Staff could have done a better job communicating about it. Also all activities through the hostel cost about 30% more than at neighboring hostels.

• 16th Jun 2015

I enjoyed the hostel set up and the friendliness of the staff. I wish there had been more information on the tours and other events (actual details). I would definitively go back again.

• 16th Jun 2015

Pretty good hostel, great location, beds were clean and comfortable, lockers secure (with own padlock) and they had a nice selection of fruits bread cereal juice etc at breakfast. Staff was helpful most of the time and there were plenty of events through out the week on the roof terrace for everyone to socialise. Main negatives were cold showers on our first 2 nights (they fixed them in time for the end of our stay), cramped 4 bed dorm and lack of plugs but overall would recommend

Che Lagarto is famous for its friendly staff and parties, but the parties they were offering were expensive, 80 reals for something you could get for 40 or less makes no sense. Our flight was at 9 am and not even asking the previous night, they gave us breakfast 20 minutes before the opening time. The breakfast was ready when we were leaving and they didn't let us eat, either gave us a piece of bread to take away.

Showers were always cold on every floor. Staff were friendly but only advised places they were getting commission on, which weren't great.

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels