Che Lagarto Hostel Copacabana Reviews

Rua Barata Ribeiro 111 - Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Good hostel only 3 blocks away from Copacabana beach. Breakfast is included, but with better breakfast at the weekends as you pay more for the nights. The hostel is at a big street with many buses and taxis running through constantly. The hostel has a roof top bar, wich was also quite nice :)

DEfinitely location is excellent. it was a nice stay, i woud like to repeat of course here.

• 29th Sep 2015
  • Argentina

I recommend. Good attendence e staff so much attentive. I´ll be back soon.

Perfect location and really helpfull staff! Seriously I was so thankful for your help when my baggage disappeared!! Only annoying thing was the wifi which wasnt working properly but they are working on it! On my next stay in Rio I will def come back!!! Thanks for everything! Beijos

Full of travellers but can be difficult to mingle as there is no common area. People tend to all sit in the reception to get wifi but there's nowhere to really chill out together. Roof top party was disappointing - for a small buy-in there was unlimited caipirinhas which we thought would end in a wild night but was extremely tame with most going to bed after. However, the location is great - surrounded by places to eat & the beach just round the corner. The hostel organises some good tours.

Great location and clean hostel. I prefer the ipanema che lagarto a lot more, so I'd recommend staying there instead. Wifi is terrible and only works in the reception area which is really annoying.

I really didnt enjoy my stay here - I paid for 6 nights and only stayed for 4. The rooms are dark and small and it absolutely stunk, during my stay there was no water one morning too. No so clean I guess due to the mass amounts of guest. The staff were not so friendly too, almost a little rude. However very close to the beach and lots of recommended activities.

Che Lagarto was a nice hostel, centrally located in Copacabana, 3 blocks from the beach and nearly next to the bus stops. Also, the metro is near. The 10 bed rooms were clean, but not very spaceful. Lockers were huge though. It was a real party hostel, so keep that in mind. Wifi only worked near the reception, and even then it was not always good. Even though, it was a good stay! P.S. While I prefer doing stuff on my own instead of organised tours, the Favela Tour is really recommendable!

Lovely hostel close to the beach. Beds were comfortable and the rooms were clean with big lockers for all your bags. I found our room a little noisy as Windows were open and there was a lot of road noise - it didn't bother my friend. Showers were lovely and warm with the exception of one day. Also there was plenty of additional showers outside the rooms which was really great. Staff were friendly and helpful they organised our trips and we're very knowledgeable. Breckfast was lovely.

nice hostel would stay agin

Extremely loud rooms, especially the ones in the cellar, no windows, beds in the upper level are too close to the ceiling, staff is nice, no communal atmosphere.

Great place to stay. Good all rounder! Staff very helpful, especially Carolina!

• 16th Aug 2015

The hostel is in a great location. Only a couple blocks away from the beach, and close to several good restaurants and a major bus stop. Getting to Ipanema and the Corcovado by bus is pretty straightforward from the hostel. Staff is friendly and very helpful.

The staff was very helpful with setting up tours of the city. Pablo and Henrique were excellent!

Sadly this place is now just a corporation that doesn't try to help you save. they will try as hard as posible for you to spend your money their way. be careful with the front desk advise. they will always try to give you an option that may cost you more money. overall is a good place, and the the staff is kind except the security guard.

• 4th Aug 2015
  • Colombia

This hostel is well located and the staff is really helpful that's for the pros. The cons are quite a drawback : they stack way too many people in this hostel. You always feel you don't have the room to do anything. No atmosphere whatsoever. Really dirty, from used condoms on the shower floor, no toilet paper at times, no hot water, clogged sinks... the showers are also toilets so you enter with your dirty shoes and leave mud where you'll shower later. No blanket despite cold AC. Expensive too.

Great place for a couple of nights, people is awesome, breakfast is not that good but it will do the work, the terrace bar is great and has a great wifi signal, but wifi signal in the lobby it was kind of weird and kind of a pain. The location of the hostel is great, couple of blocks from the Copacabana beach, couple of blocks from the Cristo Redentor tickets and bus stop, and one block away from the metro which it will take you to Ipanema, Maracana and really close to SDU airport.

Che Lagarto was in the perfect location. I felt safe and I enjoyed my time there. It was very easy to meet people!

• 29th Jul 2015

The room was small, it was really smelly. Certain staff members were helpful, suggesting places to visit. Other staff seemed too busy for you. Both my friend and I had broken lockers in our room. We told the front desk, and they sent the maintenance guy to fix it. He came and fixed one, and walked away. I told the front desk there was another one still broken, but the maintenance guy never came back. The bathrooms on the 3rd floor are tiny.

Spent my first night in Rio here, it was ok. Quite expensive (you pay for the location, but you can pay half the price somewhere else and get a taxi for not much here) There were no hot showers on my floor, which meant if I wanted a shower I would have had to walk through reception, and there are a lot of low ceilings, so if you are more than 6 ft tall you had better remember to duck!

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels