Che Lagarto Hostel Copacabana Reviews

Rua Barata Ribeiro 111 - Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

This hostel is well located and the staff is really helpful that's for the pros. The cons are quite a drawback : they stack way too many people in this hostel. You always feel you don't have the room to do anything. No atmosphere whatsoever. Really dirty, from used condoms on the shower floor, no toilet paper at times, no hot water, clogged sinks... the showers are also toilets so you enter with your dirty shoes and leave mud where you'll shower later. No blanket despite cold AC. Expensive too.

The room was small, it was really smelly. Certain staff members were helpful, suggesting places to visit. Other staff seemed too busy for you. Both my friend and I had broken lockers in our room. We told the front desk, and they sent the maintenance guy to fix it. He came and fixed one, and walked away. I told the front desk there was another one still broken, but the maintenance guy never came back. The bathrooms on the 3rd floor are tiny.

Spent my first night in Rio here, it was ok. Quite expensive (you pay for the location, but you can pay half the price somewhere else and get a taxi for not much here) There were no hot showers on my floor, which meant if I wanted a shower I would have had to walk through reception, and there are a lot of low ceilings, so if you are more than 6 ft tall you had better remember to duck!

Great hostel with n amazing atmosphere- the staff retention friendly and very knowledgeable, hostel offers loads of tours for a good price and has boat/roof parties. The kitchen is small nd doesn't have a lot of utensils but we got by. Close to the copacabana beach and to the main bus stops

Had a wonderful stay. I had 1 cold shower but maintenance was scheduled for the following day which fixed the issue. Kind and friendly staff. Wifi worked well downstairs but didn't work the best for me in my room. Breakfast was nice. In a great location close to Copacabana beach. Only criticism was on my 1st night. At 4am there was confusion over the bed placements. 2 staff members entered our room with a guest & debated the scenario with each other instead of working through it at reception.

Nothing was great about my stay. The staff, breakfast, and beds were good enough. The bathrooms could have been cleaner. Other patrons mainly spoke Spanish. The thing that ruined it for me was that the water went out. For half a day. After a night dancing, I returned to find no water to wash with, and all the toilets are stagnant. Staff could have done a better job communicating about it. Also all activities through the hostel cost about 30% more than at neighboring hostels.

• 16th Jun 2015

I enjoyed the hostel set up and the friendliness of the staff. I wish there had been more information on the tours and other events (actual details). I would definitively go back again.

• 16th Jun 2015

Pretty good hostel, great location, beds were clean and comfortable, lockers secure (with own padlock) and they had a nice selection of fruits bread cereal juice etc at breakfast. Staff was helpful most of the time and there were plenty of events through out the week on the roof terrace for everyone to socialise. Main negatives were cold showers on our first 2 nights (they fixed them in time for the end of our stay), cramped 4 bed dorm and lack of plugs but overall would recommend

Che Lagarto is famous for its friendly staff and parties, but the parties they were offering were expensive, 80 reals for something you could get for 40 or less makes no sense. Our flight was at 9 am and not even asking the previous night, they gave us breakfast 20 minutes before the opening time. The breakfast was ready when we were leaving and they didn't let us eat, either gave us a piece of bread to take away.

Showers were always cold on every floor. Staff were friendly but only advised places they were getting commission on, which weren't great.

Security is great. There's a security guard at the door followed by two swipe cards before you get to your room. The rooms are tiny though and there's no room to leave your bag anywhere but in the lockers under the beds. Found this to be a common thing with Che Lagarto hostels. It's a very sociable hostel with a bar and rooftop terrace. Don't stay here if you want to get away from people. Bathrooms are rubbish.

Good hostel just a 5 minute walk from copacabana hostel & great breakfast

The stairs are too narrow and small

Great atmosphere and good place to meet new peaople

Enjoyed this hostel, the staff was super helpful and fun, and even come out with you sometimes! The only thing I will say is that there was a majority of Brazilians staying at the hostel, so not ideal to meet travelers from all over the world, since many of them we came across were locals who already spoke Portuguese. But even so, everyone was still really great and friendly. Highly recommend Favela tour-eye opening experience. Great location, two blocks from Copacobana beach!

• 1st May 2015

Staff were fab and friendly.

• 1st May 2015

We went on a city tour that we booked directly with the Hostel ... It was the worst "tour" I had ever been on , he just dropped us off and said " you have 10 ,20,or 30 minutes for pictures " . The hostel was great itself but money and time wasted booking a tour through them .

The top bunks are too high and the bathrooms were not kept clean and very small and hard to get into. alos noise in the am went straight down the stairs into my room, possibly another door at the stairway to reduce the noise.

• 25th Apr 2015

I really had a great time there, the staff was very helpful and nice to us, the atmosphere in the hostel feels awesome, I'm definitely staying there or at any other Che lagarto whenever I go to rio or another location where they have a branch.

• 23rd Apr 2015

Lacks personal touch, especially the parties they promote. No towel rental. But only a couple of blocks from the beach and big lockers under the bed were great!

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels