Che Lagarto Hostel Copacabana Reviews

Rua Barata Ribeiro 111 - Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Awful wifi! the staff knew and didn't care. They had a lot of water problems in the toilets and showers. One day we woke up and all our room was floted. Just 3 computers for a MASSIVE amount of people, especially bad when the wifi isn't working. good breakfast, good location. Lobby too loud for my opinion, music too loud all day long. it could be much better just you won't expect so many problems when you pay 80 USD per night durring the carnaval time.

I had a fantastic stay at the Che Lagarto Hostel! The staff were so friendly and fun and made me feel very welcome! Traveling alone can be a daunting experience at times, but staying at the Che Lagarto was one of the best decisions I made when I was staying in Rio! Thank you for a wonderful time :)

• 5th Mar 2014

the hostel is very close to the beach, metro station, buses stops, shops and restaurants. staff is really attentive and they did everything they could to help us solve a minor problem we had. bedrooms and bathrooms are very clean and the beds are comfy. as a bad point I would say it's not the best spot of Copacabana but I would definitely stay there again.

Good location three blocks from the beach and metro. But: the 'bar' is a fridge of drinks at reception, the 'kitchen' is locked at 10pm and only fits about 3 people, and the 'pool' is tiny. The staff are incompetent (one told me I had to pay the full price because 'that 10% is a hostelworld thing,' and another told me hostelworld credits back that deposit)... and they have an exchange rate of 2.6 reals/$ instead of 2.4 and only accept cash, so you pay more than what the hostelworld price shows.

The location is very good, 3-block away from the Copacabana beach! I booked a 6-bed mixed dorm, was giving a bed in a 8-bed dorm - happy with that though as the room is good size & has a small balcony and it wasn't crowded at all! Only it's quite noisy as we're facing the main road - glad I'd brought ear plugs after reading the others' reviews!! Security guards are very strict, you're not allowed to bring a friend to the roof terrace for chats. Apart from that no complaints from me.

The air conditioning wasn't working in my room. Very hot to sleep.

• 25th Jan 2014

Hostel for teenagers looking for messy fun. We had to change rooms every night, had no beds when we got there (even after check-in time), bathrooms are far from clean. People in the deskroom where nice though and did what they could to help, but the reservation system and organization of the hotel is not good at all.

• 2nd Jan 2014

When it's 40 degrees all summer leave the air-conditioning on all day!!! Not from 10pm til 10am it's ridiculous.

• 28th Dec 2013

Bed broke - told to sleep on couch in reception. Clothing stolen from bag. Not clean. Not good atmosphere. Would not stay here again.

The place was clean, the beds are comfy, the atmosphere is was lively and friendly, but even better: the staff was super nice and friendly. I used to work in a hostel, so trust me, I know. And these guys, were so great!

small kitchen, rooms without windows, very noisy air conditioning and ventilation system, lookers under the beds really really noisy (so you are waking up every time someone open a looker), very annoying low quality speaker at the reception playing music out loud all day long, swimming pool is a ridiculous small and empty, very tiny bathrooms and showers.

A perfect service of the staff and an excellent atmosphere!!

I was in a room with no windows and the air conditioning worked a short time. Stolen me shorts one day at afternoon. However the place to make barbecue is good and the guys who works at hostel are nice.

• 7th Nov 2013

I emailed a couple of time for an airport transfer from the airport to the hostel and no one replied. I then had to ring using a hotel phone. Apart from the very good.

• 3rd Nov 2013

The location is Ok but something REALLY uncomfortable happened. I had already checked-in and went to the beach and everything was ok. When I arrived in my room there were some people in mine and my girlfriend's bed and all our stuff had disapeared. When we went to complain in the reception, our stuff was there, my clothes were in a trash bag and one of my girlfriend bag was locked in the locker that was ours and now was someone's. RIDICULOUS!!! That doesn't exists! Don't stay in this hostel.

friendly staff, good location, good price

• 28th Oct 2013
  • Chile

Typical chain hotel-like place - noisy, crowded (tourist groups) and disorganized. We only needed to crash somewhere for one night before our flight back home so it was OK, but otherwise - not my favourite. They tried to overcharge me 30reais by telling sth about that 10% deposit doesn't count, Hostelworld will give it back and exchange rates went up. Don't pay more than what it says on your reservation - should be in both currencies. 60reais for a car to the airport booked through them was OK.

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels