Che Lagarto Hostel Copacabana Reviews

Rua Barata Ribeiro 111 - Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Location is really great, it's close to the beach, transportation, places to eat. The staff is really nice and fun. The only problems we had was a shortage of water and the hastel was not prepared to deal with it, we did even have water to wash our hands, go to the restroom or take a bath in a city that is 30 degrees that was pretty bad. The other problem is that the air conditioner only goes on at a certain time, once again in a city that is 30 degrees or more that is really not good.

I stayed there couple of time while I was traveling around there. Last day I've got sore throat I just wanted tea bags for be warm body I asked about it girl staff of reception. She said we don't have tea bags anyway... I thought they got it for breakfast.. Was midnight n shops are closed that's why I can't buy them. Any backpackers are usually stock and prepair for drink tea or coffee. But not here Should bring them just in case. Thanks

• 14th Nov 2014
  • Japan

All in all, good value for money. Very friendly staff, great location close to the metro station and Copacabana beach. What bothered me a bit is that the place is very crowded and loud (there was an open bar with loud music right next to my room on a Saturday night). Whereas other hostels adopt a 'quiet after 10pm' policy, this one clearly does not, so don't go there if you want to rest.

Excellent hostel! Very recommended! The cleaning and the staff are very good!

• 9th Sep 2014

Good place to stay, however more sockets are needed. Hard to charge my phone. Staff are very helpful and knowledgable about the local area.

Great hostel, attentive staff, and they're very helpful. Very small corridors and stairs, and too many people; avoid if you need space to breathe, but a great hub to explore Rio from.

8 bed dorm had one power multi outlet power outlet next to one bunk bed, so nothing for the other 3 bunks, not very good nowadays with everyone needing power for phones/laptops ...etc. Very high top bunks had no guard rails at all, very dangerous.

Hostel provides you with only a single sheet and the beds are too small to fit on for someone my size. Could not even rent a towel from them. Toilet is literally in the shower, which is a bit odd as well. Recommendations from the staff felt more like they were making money on something than helping you out. On the plus side, the location is good and the hostel feels safe. Lockers are also very large and could fit everything I was traveling with.

• 11th Jul 2014

The wifi wasn't too good, breakfast was good, staff excellent. 2 blocks from the beach of copacabana, near restaurants. Really enjoyed my stay at this place, I was in the Ipanema hostel and move to this one because i liked more the athmosphere at this one!

Hostel messed up our booking, we had to wait in the foyer for more than an hour to find out booking was there, but not identified. Place and rooms are really cramp and lack space. Pros :decent breakfast, well located, there organized tours and other events. Did not have a good experience.

Me and my friends liked a lot of the hostel. The staff is great! For those who want to know Rio, it's a great option. I'll definitely come back for more after woldcup.

great location in copacabana and helpful staff that could tell you how to get where you wanted to go! only stayed a couple nights, but would definitely return here if i get a chance.

Amazing breakfast, clean place, nice staff. Tiny 4-person room I stayed in and small lockers under the bed.

Good breakfast, near to Copacabana beach and it was easy to get to other tourist attractions on the bus. Wifi wasn't very good

Awful wifi! the staff knew and didn't care. They had a lot of water problems in the toilets and showers. One day we woke up and all our room was floted. Just 3 computers for a MASSIVE amount of people, especially bad when the wifi isn't working. good breakfast, good location. Lobby too loud for my opinion, music too loud all day long. it could be much better just you won't expect so many problems when you pay 80 USD per night durring the carnaval time.

I had a fantastic stay at the Che Lagarto Hostel! The staff were so friendly and fun and made me feel very welcome! Traveling alone can be a daunting experience at times, but staying at the Che Lagarto was one of the best decisions I made when I was staying in Rio! Thank you for a wonderful time :)

• 5th Mar 2014

the hostel is very close to the beach, metro station, buses stops, shops and restaurants. staff is really attentive and they did everything they could to help us solve a minor problem we had. bedrooms and bathrooms are very clean and the beds are comfy. as a bad point I would say it's not the best spot of Copacabana but I would definitely stay there again.

Had a great time here during Carnival. The rooms and bathrooms were cleaned often. The breakfast was reli good!! Fruit, cake, cereals, juice, tea and coffee, also bread with ham and cheese. It was only a few blocks from the beach which was awesome. They had organised tours from the hostel which were great!! Overall great hostel with a nice envirnoment and onyl downside the wifi sucked

Good location three blocks from the beach and metro. But: the 'bar' is a fridge of drinks at reception, the 'kitchen' is locked at 10pm and only fits about 3 people, and the 'pool' is tiny. The staff are incompetent (one told me I had to pay the full price because 'that 10% is a hostelworld thing,' and another told me hostelworld credits back that deposit)... and they have an exchange rate of 2.6 reals/$ instead of 2.4 and only accept cash, so you pay more than what the hostelworld price shows.

The location is very good, 3-block away from the Copacabana beach! I booked a 6-bed mixed dorm, was giving a bed in a 8-bed dorm - happy with that though as the room is good size & has a small balcony and it wasn't crowded at all! Only it's quite noisy as we're facing the main road - glad I'd brought ear plugs after reading the others' reviews!! Security guards are very strict, you're not allowed to bring a friend to the roof terrace for chats. Apart from that no complaints from me.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6