Che Lagarto Hostel Ipanema Reviews

Rua Paul Redfern N�48, Ipanema, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I suggest putting more showers

• 5th Apr 2015
  • Spain

Staff were friendly and nice but it is a party hostel. Beds were not really comfy and every time I moved the metal cracked. Breakfast was really average. Location to the beach was great and easy access to restaurants and shops.

Good thing is I was upgraded my first night because of a hostelwolr booking problem so that private room was cool and comfortable. Then the 8 beds dorm was ok. Spartan as always in Che Lagarto's, dirty and very small bathroom. Nice mates though. Common spaces are ok although very strong air con (always the same here). Nice terrace. Some of the staff were really nice and helpfull, others not (seemed too busy to chat with friends rather than attend travelers).

The hostel was good. One big con was the room keys. They didn't work so you had to get out of bed in the middle of the night to open the door for the other guests. There could have been more than one bathroom for the 10 people doorm.

If you're looking to party and have some sleepless nights, then this is the place to go! Friendly staff members that will try their best to help you out! Be ready to speak a lot of Spanish, if you can't speak it nor Portuguese, it might get difficult to communicate with the Argentinian travellers... Would definitely return there on my next trip!

Cold showers, cramped metal dormitories and swipe cards that don't work. Not very clean. The location by the beach is great but there are other, nicer places nearby.

One of best hostels in the world. Clean, friendly, rooms and lochers are big, wathever you need receptionists will help you, ther are the best from all the staff In the house. its great spot to move around and meat the people, just a bit far from metro, but buses are just around the coner In the kitchen you even have filterred water and plastic wrap for sandwiches. Really worth of money.

I choose it for location, which is good, but in my opinion could have been better. It's located between Ipanema and Leblon and yes it is close to mainstreet and beach. But those are quite long so I guess there a better opitions available more closer to the more 'lively' part of Ipanema. What I liked the most, is the staff. Very friendly and welcoming. The rooms are noisy, yet clean. Good bar but not much going on at the time I was there. But overall I enjoyed my stay!

Love this CL. Unbeatable location on Ipanema/Leblon, the staff are SO warm and friendly and the facilities are great. Even an elevator! Only downside is that breakfast is CRAZY. Do not appreciate chaos during breakfast, but ya equally due to the guests staying here.. Really cramped. Also people staying here is 90% Argentinian I'd say, so if you're not spanish speaking it can be quite hard to socialize.. Overall I had a great stay, would stay again.

I only stayed one night but the staff is so nice, the beds are confortable with lockers. The breakfast is good, then even give you a free caïpi on arrival. This is one of the best hostels i stayed in

Can't beat the location at this price.

We stayed one night in 10 bed dorm. Staff were very friendly on arrival. Our room was ensuite. Only issues were inconsiderate guests turning lights on at 3&4 in the morn. Not hostels fault. We left before breakfast for an early flight and the guy at reception truly went out of his way to help us. I've forgotten his name but he went upstairs to get us some fruit to take away+helped carry our bags outside&flagged a taxi for us. Thank you very much. Highly recommend.

Excellent location, 1 and a half block from the beach, safe neighborhood at night. 6 bed dorm with en-suite bathroom was ok. Normal breakfast. Elevator only till 4th floor (there is a 5th and 6th floor) This is really a 'party hostel' ,for people who wish to stay at the hostel o to do activities related to the hostel. Not my kind of hostel. Staff was good, but they couldn't recommend pubs o bars different from the hostels schedule. Works better for people in their 20th.

Amazing location and great staff! Our dorm was a little cramped and there was sometimes a funny smell in the lobby, but overall a good place to stay.

Spacious room, large lockable lockers for all your stuff, actually clean sheets, affective air conditioning, very friendly and helpful staff. Great location if you want ipanema beach...probably a bit further out if you want access to metro and the rest of the city.

One of your top hostels in Rio. Staff were helpful and almost like friends. It's definitely your party hostel, with a bar pumping music all day and night. Clean, well organised rooms with en-suites. Location couldn't be better, can see the beach within seconds. Issues with WiFi in rooms across the road from the main building, the only gripe. Recommended.

really nice/clean hostel - was greeted by Ricki, who was one of the friendliest Hostel managers we had come across on our travels. Room was clean and tidy, did exactly what it needed to.

I stayed here for a week after carnival and it was like carnival never ended! I'm travelling on my own so it was a great place to meet people and have a good time, and the staff were a laugh too. Great location (one block from Ipanema, in my opinion the best beach in Rio) and they also provide a fab city tour that covers a lot of the city's sights in just half a day, so if you're in a hurry it's perfect! I had an amazing time here and would recommend it to anyone, especially solo travellers!

• 18th Feb 2015

Great hostel to meet others-staff are so friendly and know everyone's name! Couldn't be nearer the beach! Also great bar to chill out at night!

This hostel was a great place to stay for the party atmosphere during Carnival. The location is great because it's walking distance from Ipanema Beach and the main shopping strip of Ipanema. Our main issue was that our air con didn't work which made sleeping uncomfortable whereas other rooms had great air con. The other issue was that the kitchen was a bit unclean and inadequately stocked with equipment meaning we probably spent more than we planned by eating out.

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels