CheapSleep Helsinki Reviews

Sturenkatu 27, Helsinki, Finland

We arrived at the hostel in the evening . Firstly we had no idea how to get or where the reception was , we where surrounded by 20-30 men probably aged 30-40 outside the door very intimidating , starting at us making us feel extremely uncomfortable and Un-easy. Someone let us in a coded door and we went up stairs . There was loads of noise and men lurking around everywhere staring . We felt so intimidated We quickly left the hostel and started walking in Helsinki with no where to stay.not good

• 22nd Oct 2015

Do not stay here! It has become a total refugee camp. I had booked 4 nights here and was ready to leave before checking in. Was sitting waiting for 2pm check in the lobby for 2 hours. I managed one night but then left. There was close to 60 middle aged men making myself and brother uncomfortable taking up every seat in the common area and the entire kitchen. Staring at you and making it seem like you were in there house. Even without the 60 men staying bathrooms were poor and so were the beds.

Where to start... An over-priced hostel, with poor and dirty facilities. There was a large group (20+) of Muslims staying here. They were rude, they stared at you, spat a lot, didn't clean after themselves and to top it off I wasn't allowed to drink alcohol because it offended them... It's not a mosque, it's a hostel, so my right to drink was valid. Very disappointed with the cheap sleep Helsinki hostel..

Hostel has potential, but lack of cleanliness and shower conditions leave alot to be desired. Beds are ok, room are pretty good organized, with each bed having an electrical outlet and a night light. the 11pm curfew seems to be ignored, as people come and go late into the night. Over all a decent stay, but like mentioned earlier, has potential to be better.

Firstly, this hostel gives NO directions. I had to take a taxi, and it cost me 20 Euro. Once I had located it, I realised it's not too far from the centre via bus, and lots of buses do stop here but I easily got lost. Staff were nice enough but I wouldn't say fantastic. The common area was full of people but nobody really socialised. Kitchen was quite dirty. Rooms were okay, but again nobody socialised. Beds were very squeaky. My stay here was not terrible, but average at best.

I had booked 2 nights one week in advanced. But when I arrived the hostel was fully occupied by refugees. My options were to leave (11pm) or sleep on the floor which I did. I agree to help people in need, but if I was told that it was a refugee camp I would have booked elsewhere. Staff very friendly and tried their best though.

• 7th Sep 2015
  • Sweden

The place was nice and it had a nice hangout/chill atmosphere. But my female friend was harassed by another guest and that deeply affected our experience. The staff, who was pleasant and attentive otherwise, did little to help.

Not a lot of options in Helsinki, this hostel will be your best bargan I think for the price. Everything is pretty good except for location. Its a quite a walk to city centre but there lots of transport options close by. I walked usually, not a problem for me. Security really good. Key cards for the room as well as your own locker which is a nice touch. If you stay in one of the rooms off the main common room it can be a bit loud till 12 or 1 in the morning.

Yes, the location is poor, but that also means that you're just a short walk from Bar Molotow, a good, relatively cheap bar that plays good rock and roll. Otherwise, you get what you pay for. Staff was, indeed, very nice.

The hostel felt alright but I did not have a good experience in it due to there not being any control over the people in the dorms. By this I mean the fact that even after 10pm, people talked with each other and made phone calls. I even woke up at 11pm when some french bi... lady decided it would be nice idea to talk on a phone for 30mins really loudly. I was unable to get any sleep after that and had to go to seminar with 2 houra of sleep. The lights were still on at that time too.

• 23rd Aug 2015
  • Finland

Don't expect to get a decent night's sleep here. 24 hour check in may seem like a good idea in theory but people coming in at 3am, unpacking with the room lights on and slamming lockers shut, proves otherwise. Kitchen was unclean, despite food being labelled it was either taken or binned. Showers left a lot to be desired and the staff were fairly cold. Despite many signs asking for quiet ( and staff being present)after 11pm, still subjected to drunken noise from other guests which kept us up.

Budget-friendly. On route to the airport but need to take the tram to the city center. Perfect for early morning flights. Large common area but minimal socializing between guests. Dorm room is very cramped - not much space to put your stuff. But very clean.

Extremely expensive,poor location, poor facilities and unhelpful staff. Very poor overall, I would not recommend.

Too few showers; too slow service; too noisy rooms. Not recommended.

• 2nd Aug 2015
  • Denmark

There was something missing.. not sure what.. There were too many tables, so people wern't really talking to new people, so the atmosphere wasn't there Nice clean rooms! Noisy beds The shower were fine Bathroom were fine Kitchen worked

Friendly staff. Has store underneath hostel, very convenient. 30 min walk to city center, but other good things around that are much closer. Best value in the city.

It is good hostel safe convenient. Cheap. Friendly good transportation. Maybe they can improve WC a little

Pros: Reading light and plugs in each bed. Staff was quiet but helpful. Cons: A 10 minute ride to the city center. Which would be okay but it's 3 Euros for a ticket so it can add up. I recommend getting the 24 hour pass for 8 euros. Almost everything was broken. None of the locks in the bathrooms worked, which was annoying. And the showers are just like communal showers. There are curtains but only open counters to leave your clothes and other belongings so they could easily be stolen.

Impeccably clean and organised. The doors create a vacuum so that the dorms are dead silent for sleeping beautifully. Easy to get to and from the airport by bus. Wifi works fast in rooms and social area.

Perfectly adequate hostel. Kitchens a bit small and was usually busy when I stayed making it difficult to navigate. Easy to get to city center via tram/bus or about a 30min work