Chelsea Highline Hostel Reviews

184 11th Eleventh Avenue, New York, USA

They were very lax on people taking bags, no system of checking ownership, which is poor when you have to pay money to store you bags. Value for money is good for New York if travelling in even numbers, as the 2 bed mixed dorms are like being in a private room. They do not have cooking facilities, or much fridge space, so for those trying to save money on food, this can be tough.

• 14th Aug 2014

We booked this hostel based what it says on your websie "Clean and safe private rooms and Secure key-card room access" However, on four occasions, we had complete strangers walking into our room( despite it being only a two bed dorm.) We were in two times but the final time she had been in our room and left her luggage. We were also woken up our 4th night by another check in despite we had spoken to the girl in lobby two days in a row.

The ceiling of our room was falling apart. It had two big holes. When we asked the staff to give us clean sheets they said no they ran out.

• 9th Aug 2014

This hostel was very dirty! They definitely cut corners on cleaning. There were three shared bathrooms on each floor which were usually flooded with water and covered in people's body hair! The rooms were not inviting. In our room the curtain was broken and the steps up to the second bunk were also breaking. Getting in and out of bed was an adventure. The bunks were also extremely shaky. It was also noisy on the street as there is construction next door to the hostel. It was very hard to sleep.

Great security door at the entrance, however you may be standing out the front for 5mins or so if no one is at the desk to buzz you in. The bathroom had flooded from the shower, which I don't think was a problem with the bathroom but more of an issue with other guests . We had a car with us, and the cheapest Parking Garage was going to be about $80 a night. The hostel staff (after speaking with the manager) allowed us to park in the vacant lot which was fantastic! Thanks!

• 31st Jul 2014
  • All Male Group, 25-30

Hostel is in Chelsea which happens to be a good district in Manhattan... its 30 mins walk from Times Square and 3 blocks from nearest subway but the neighbourhood is really nice, safe and I enjoyed walking late at 2:00am alone. The receptionist is really nice and helpful I can't remember her name but that's my issue... The breakfast was bad bagels and a tasty muffins with coffee The main issue was that it happened one and the toilets were dirty! But after 1 hour they got them clean

Hands down best hostel in the city. Carlos at the front desk is incredibly helpful and genuinely cares about every tenet.

• 22nd Jul 2014

Cheap.. But bad.. A hole in the ceiling, paint falling off walls, pee all over the toilet and bathroom floor, mold in every corner of the bathrooms.. Stay'd one night.. Never again.. Staff was good and good location..

• 21st Jul 2014
  • Iceland

Its a little bit away from the subway which may be bothersome when arriving and leaving with the luggage. In every other aspect it was totally perfect!

There was regularly no toilet paper available in either 3 of the toilets on my floor and when I asked staff I was given a blank look as thought she didn't understand me, maybe she didn't.

The location is not close to a subway station, but only 10 m from a bus stop. And the possibility to start the day walking on the Highline is a great plus. Hostel was average, the bunk beds are light-weight, means, if the lower person does not lie in bed, it's not quite stable to climb up. I read reviews before mentioned the dirty bathrooms- I can't confirm. Using the bathroom at different times in the morning and evening I found them always clean. To get stable warm water one needs to be lucky.

• 13th Jun 2014

The location is not bad ! In less than 9 min u can be in NYC by car! But the breaksfast was awfull , the room was very hot , dirty and noisy! The towels were included in the price but they didn't have towels for all of us ! I won't come back !

The location is perfect and if you want to stay in central Manhattan you won't find a cheaper place! The staff was nice, the breakfast decent but ok! The only thing what was horrible was the beds - noisy and uncomfortable! Everytime I turned around I woke the other person up! And no nice common area to hang out together...

The location is not to bad however the room I stayed in looked run down. I could feel the springs in the mattress, and the bed was unstable and very narrow. Plus the air conditioning unit sounded like it was going to lift off into outer space.

Basic but everything you need, except the fleas in the bedding. They were gross

Staff wasn't always friendly and the reception wasn't covered at all times, bummer if your key card wasn't working.

beds felt like a plastic bag and very unconfortable, but location was top. 2 blocks to subway it was not clean at all

No hot water and infiltration.

I had a terrible stay at this hostel because of the venue and the staff. Upon arrival, my bed was unmade and there was a pile of wet towels in the corner of the room. In the morning, my key card wouldn't work. I had to go to reception 3 times in my towel before they would help, up and down 4 flights of stairs. On my final night, when is returned to my room someone was in my bed as they had double booked it. When I raised this at reception, they just moved me to another room. Location is solid.

• 23rd Apr 2014

My stay was adequate but too expensive for what was offered. 3rd floor had two washrooms but one washroom didn't have warm shower water. There is one common space downstairs and it's not very inviting. Not really a place to sit down, relax, and mingle. The staff didn't facilitate any mingling either. No kitchen. If there was, it wasn't shown to me. That being said, really enjoyed the location. The staff were helpful, funny, polite. Place needs warm water and ambiance. That or drop the price.