Chelsea Highline Hostel Reviews

184 11th Eleventh Avenue, New York, USA

First, the staff are great and for being in Manhattan, this hostel is very fairly priced and in an artsy area. Mainly we only talked with one of the staff members, but he was extremely friendly and open to helping us out. In terms of the building, our room was large, but the lobby is quite small and there isn't much area for hanging around. But there is internet , a TV with Netflix and breakfast is included. I would recommend this hostel for anyone going to NYC.

I didn't stay at either of the places I had book before arriving in NY. They are not equip to handle a person on a wheel chair. I didn't know That NY had places were you couldn't stay if you were in a wheelchair. I booked another hostle, not far from these places. Stood there for two nites. I am wondering if I can get back my booking charges back? $60 on one $40 on the other. Sincerely Melvin Pimentel

Good location, and a very good price considering other hostels prices. Mattress was not really confortable but I enjoyed my time in this place.

Even though theo rooms are always cold (this is known), at 600pm the staff wouldn't give me an extra blanket. "Come back at 900pm and if it's cold we'll give you one." It was 31 degrees out at the time.

• 16th Nov 2014

The beds felt like plastic and it was freezing and they wouldnt give us blankets. But we spent most of our day (11 am - 4 am) out so it was alright.

• 30th Oct 2014

Hotel with two beds in each room, marketed as a hostel. It has an amazing location at Manhattan, close to all New York attractions. Quite clean. It has two main disadvantages. There are only 3 bathrooms on the whole floor and if you get up in the morning and NEED to visit the toilet quickly, all bathrooms might be occupied by people preparing for their business day taking a looong shower. And if one person on the bunk bed moves at night a bit, the whole bed shakes with you. Really unpleasant.

There aren't separate toilets, so when the bathroom when someone is taken a shower, you have to wait a long time to pee. The beds are uncomfortable and the blackets are made of polyester and are very old. The staff wasn't friendly.

• 20th Oct 2014

Good location and price

The room that we booked was advertised as two decent beds when we check in we found that it was a bunk bed and the mattresses were thinner than air beds. The staff member who checked us in couldn't remember who we were twenty minutes later. No elevator meant that we had to lug our bags up three flights of stairs. The air conditioning unit was failing out of the wall and the walls were cracked. It was also one bathroom per floor.

• 19th Sep 2014

No staff on at nighttime in reception and no security in building eather anyone can walk in off there street .Key cards for room don't Allways work and the are only 3 toilets on each floor to Cather for 50 people and toilets have building rubble in them and no light bulb ,no elevators to top floor .No wifi passed reception and it's not very good eather .there is a contruction site next door that starts banging dead on 7 o clock .But in all fairness it a very cheap backpacker,good location

Noise coming from the street made it impossible to sleep. Twice during the night we had people come into our private room as they were able to unlock the door with their key. There were signs of 'perilous rooms' in the hostel that had to be evacuated immediately, yet I was put in one of these rooms with no explanation when asked. No one at reception for half an hour when we tried to check out.

• 9th Sep 2014
  • Scotland

I gave up on 100 dollars not to stay in that filth. Bed was very uncomfortable, AC was working like a plane motor, toilet on my floor was out of order. I woke up retching at around 5 am, went down to the reception and asked what that terrible smell was. He had no idea. Then, I asked if they can change my room. The guy on the reception told me it was impossible before 2 pm. I checked out and went to another hostel. Thanks to their 'generosity', they refunded me with 2/3 of the price.

• 29th Aug 2014
  • Turkey

The staff were really helpful, the free wifi was strong and it is really well located with a park across the road. As a female travelling solo, I felt really safe.

They were very lax on people taking bags, no system of checking ownership, which is poor when you have to pay money to store you bags. Value for money is good for New York if travelling in even numbers, as the 2 bed mixed dorms are like being in a private room. They do not have cooking facilities, or much fridge space, so for those trying to save money on food, this can be tough.

We booked this hostel based what it says on your websie "Clean and safe private rooms and Secure key-card room access" However, on four occasions, we had complete strangers walking into our room( despite it being only a two bed dorm.) We were in two times but the final time she had been in our room and left her luggage. We were also woken up our 4th night by another check in despite we had spoken to the girl in lobby two days in a row.

The ceiling of our room was falling apart. It had two big holes. When we asked the staff to give us clean sheets they said no they ran out.

• 9th Aug 2014

This hostel was very dirty! They definitely cut corners on cleaning. There were three shared bathrooms on each floor which were usually flooded with water and covered in people's body hair! The rooms were not inviting. In our room the curtain was broken and the steps up to the second bunk were also breaking. Getting in and out of bed was an adventure. The bunks were also extremely shaky. It was also noisy on the street as there is construction next door to the hostel. It was very hard to sleep.

Great security door at the entrance, however you may be standing out the front for 5mins or so if no one is at the desk to buzz you in. The bathroom had flooded from the shower, which I don't think was a problem with the bathroom but more of an issue with other guests . We had a car with us, and the cheapest Parking Garage was going to be about $80 a night. The hostel staff (after speaking with the manager) allowed us to park in the vacant lot which was fantastic! Thanks!

• 31st Jul 2014
  • All Male Group, 25-30

Hostel is in Chelsea which happens to be a good district in Manhattan... its 30 mins walk from Times Square and 3 blocks from nearest subway but the neighbourhood is really nice, safe and I enjoyed walking late at 2:00am alone. The receptionist is really nice and helpful I can't remember her name but that's my issue... The breakfast was bad bagels and a tasty muffins with coffee The main issue was that it happened one and the toilets were dirty! But after 1 hour they got them clean

Hands down best hostel in the city. Carlos at the front desk is incredibly helpful and genuinely cares about every tenet.

• 22nd Jul 2014