Chelsea Highline Youth Hotel Reviews

184 11th Eleventh Avenue, New York, USA

The hostel was one of the worst experiences we had in our life. It was a weird environment we never felt safe, they came into our rooms while we were not there and searched for our stuff, the heating was broken so in a -15 degrees night we almost freeze inside the bedroom and the other room was always wet with water dripping from the walls. I would NEVER recommend this hostal even if you want to pay cheap it's not worth it for the bad experience over night.

Good things: super cheap for Manhattan, 10 min walk from subway, 24hour reception. Clean room, if sparsely furnished. Disappointed with: no lockers in room, no towels provided, no hot water in the sink! Two room dorm seemed like it would cut down on the creepy stranger ratio, but the awkwardly situated, rickety bunk bed made me the annoying, fussy stranger. It creaked with every attempt to get comfy on the extremely thin mattress and cotton ball of a pillow. Bring ear plugs and melatonin.

• 31st Jan 2015

ALL STAFF ARE VERY FRIENDLY. LOCATION IS GOOD TOO. I didn`t feel very safe to sleep there, due to different strangers/clients. I didn`t use shower, looks not very comfortable. Toilet is not very clean. Sheets are clean but blackets are dirty and broken. Only positive point is that they have very helpful and happy staff working there.

• 21st Jan 2015
  • China

I was prepared for bare bones but it still wasn't worth it for a short stay.. Staff on arrival seemed burdened by me checking in.. Other days staff were kind but overall lack luster didn't feel comfortable asking them anything. Not much going on socially.. Cold water in shower have to wait over 5 mins to get warm. Only good thing was that it is one block from the sleep no more production which was handy.

Chelsea Highline Hostel is definitely not the best hostel i stayed in. Even if the room and bathroom was relatively clean, matress was not really confortable and the shower was not great. Moreover the breakfast hardly win the title of breakfast as the food was dry and we didnot enjoy it. But for 1 night it did the job as we didn't sleep under a bridge.

• 10th Jan 2015

There are MICES in the hostel. I had some chocolates in a closed bag, inside my suitcase, that I left opened. When I went to my room, I saw the mice inside my suitcase, eating them. WhenI told the staff about this, their answer was that it was my fault for having food in the room, because there are some signs in the hostel saying that we shouldn-t have food in our rooms... . Always take TOWELS with you. They say they have towels, but it happened to me they ran out of them.

• 3rd Jan 2015
  • Argentina

breakfast was only available for a short 90 minutes. shd extend that. also, heating was not consistent.

U get what u pay for, a bed and a dirty bathroom.

The place was clean, little bit far from subway and some staff isn't friendly and you have to PAY 15$ if u checked out late after 11.00am even not too long !!!! I stayed a few hostels in NYC and never get paid for checked out late about 15-20mins !!! No more Chelsea hostel !!!

No wifi in the rooms.

• 22nd Dec 2014

Worst hostel ever!!!

• 21st Dec 2014
  • China

The hostel has a good location and is reasonably priced compared to the competition but is lacking in a few areas. The wifi only works in the small, dingy lobby which lacks adequate seating and is always overcrowded. The staff were fine but weren't overly friendly or helpful.

Basic, but fits its purpose. One of the cheapest hostels in Manhattan, 5/10 minute walk to subway and just a couple of minutes from Chelsea Highline. Basic but decent rooms - I had a bunk bed room, sink and mirror in room, lockers, air con, radiator, small table and actually pretty decent sized room for Manhattan.

• 16th Dec 2014

Everything was fine, wifi only in lobby a bit annoying but everything else no problem

First, the staff are great and for being in Manhattan, this hostel is very fairly priced and in an artsy area. Mainly we only talked with one of the staff members, but he was extremely friendly and open to helping us out. In terms of the building, our room was large, but the lobby is quite small and there isn't much area for hanging around. But there is internet , a TV with Netflix and breakfast is included. I would recommend this hostel for anyone going to NYC.

A rat in the hall two times. Not enough towels to everyone. Some staff king, as the manager, other just fine. Double rooms are good, but the beds make noises every time that someone moves in the night. A great location and cheap. The breakfast could be better but was fine to start the day. The bathroom it´s ok, just remember that if you want to get out or get in in the rush hours, could be crowed.

• 9th Dec 2014

totally absent employee not present at reception... giant TV in "lobby". one of most asocial hostel I know

I didn't stay at either of the places I had book before arriving in NY. They are not equip to handle a person on a wheel chair. I didn't know That NY had places were you couldn't stay if you were in a wheelchair. I booked another hostle, not far from these places. Stood there for two nites. I am wondering if I can get back my booking charges back? $60 on one $40 on the other. Sincerely Melvin Pimentel

Good location, and a very good price considering other hostels prices. Mattress was not really confortable but I enjoyed my time in this place.

Even though theo rooms are always cold (this is known), at 600pm the staff wouldn't give me an extra blanket. "Come back at 900pm and if it's cold we'll give you one." It was 31 degrees out at the time.

• 16th Nov 2014