Chelsea Inn Reviews

46 West 17th Street, New York, USA

Absolutely disgusting place, we had a rat in our room and didn't even get full money return!!!!! The staff had to talk with the manager which took 2 weeks before they actually got in touch with us! The place smells like mould and cigarets and is so not recommended! Luckily we found a very good price at ROW hotel which is just next to Times Square!!!

The accomodation was good in a great location. The rooms were very noisy. The glazing on the windows could be improved

• 28th Jul 2013

Breakfast was very disappointing. I ordered this hotel knowing that I didn't have to worry about breakfast. Right after I had finished eating the breakfast they had to offer which was one bagel and one drink (coffee/tea), I went straight to the nearest restaurant and bought some more, which was very frustrating. As I ordered the hotel I got a price which I was supposed to pay upon my arrival. I prepared myself to pay that amount but as i arrived the price got higher.

• 19th Jul 2013
  • Iceland

Firstly, it would have been nice to be informed when booking the hotel that they would be charging our credit card 48hrs prior to our arrival, as far as we were aware when made the booking, we didn't have to pay anything until we arrived. However 2 days prior to our arrival we received an email stating that they had tried to charge our credit card and as it had declined they were going to cancel our booking, this was sorted out after a phonecall, but still poor communication on hotels part.

• 15th Jul 2013

You are paying for the location of this hostel and thats pretty much it, and to be honest for the price we paid i would rather have stayed elsewhere with better facilities and services than here. Not worth the price we paid at all.

This place was a great value!!! My wife and I were backpacking on a tight budget. This place was clean and in a great location. We had a shared bathroom in a little enclave with one others room. It was new and immaculate. There was no elevator which was fine for a few backpackers. If you're willing to pass on the amenities, Chelsea Inn is an awesome place.

A perfectly good place to stay if you want to keep it cheap. Charming old house (but no elevators!). Restroom was just outside the room and we never had to wait for it to be vacant. Breakfast was too small though, just a bagel and some coffee. But overall a very good hotel/hostel!

The included breakfast ist actually a voucher for one drink and one bagel in the nearby cafe. Wifi is almost unusable on the 5th floor (only my iPad got connection in a certain spot in our room). For a "Shared Bathroom" accommodation there were 2 bathrooms for 4 rooms, that's really enough - I never had to wait in a line. Friendly staff, and a very very good location in Manhattan!

Your getting what you pay for. Would definitely stay there again!

• 27th May 2013

Good hostel in a very nice area. Walking distance to pretty much everything. Good breakfast from the restaurant next door and a big fridge in the room. The bed was a bit old and squeaky and walls a bit thin but considering what you pay it's totally worth the stay.

• 23rd Mar 2013
  • Sweden

The hostel is charming, located on 17th ST between 5th and 6th- close to subway stations but easy to walk to most tourist sites. The district itself is nice as well. Only complaint really is that it was expensive for what you actually got, but the location and the cleanliness, plus the charm of the area make it good value for money. I would stay here again.

• 18th Mar 2013

Very dirty hostel. The maids only made the bed before we got the room and the sheets and bed cover was nasty. Next day they had fixed it but the bed cover was still very dirty. They never vacuum nor clean the carpets. Giving them a very poor "cleanliness" rating/smily is flattering, these should get a straight up nasty for their cleaning.

• 12th Jan 2013
  • Denmark

ther wasa mouse in my room and the pepple from the front desk diden do anything about it...

• 9th Jan 2013

We had a really nice stay at Chelsea Inn. The hotel was rather old and the rooms were not in superb condition, but it was very clean and well managed. The staff was great, always helped us with everything. Very good value for money if you compare to other hotel prices in New York. Great location! And we had a room in the back and weren't botherd by noice from the street at all. I really recommend in to anyone travelling on a budget.

• 29th Dec 2012
  • Sweden

i stayed here over new years eve and it was very good i had a double room and it was a good size nice bed with the heat on all the time which was nice coz it was freezing outside!!!! the free coffee was good in the morning and the only bad thing i can say is you gotta be fit if you are on the 5th floor like i was!

the bar next door is very popular

is a hotel not a hostel, private rooms with shared bathrooms but compared to other hotel prices in area ok, good area right near subway to easily get to attractions, breakfast included but at cafe next door and for take away only, stairs only, no elevator, could leave luggage on day of checkout as long as you like

Great located. Breakfast and wifi are included, which is great. The problem is that it was really noisy (trucks compressing garbage or something like that every night). There are not shutters either, and the curtains let some light in (for me, it was no problem, but it was for my boyfriend). You have to balance and priorize. For me, it was good enough.

Friendly staff and clean rooms. Great location! Would stay here again. A bit noisy during nights because of busy street..but hey, its NY.

• 13th Aug 2012
  • Sweden

the hotel is way to expensive! i would say a night shouldn't be more than 10 dollars. we were there for 4 nights (paid about 450 dollars) we really missed some daylight in the room, and the air conditioner was really loud!we couldn't shutt it off otherwise we would burn in there!

• 16th Jul 2012