Chelsea International Hostel Reviews

251 West 20th Street, New York, USA

Not a bad hostel; a bit shabby, but to be expected with how much I was (or wasn't) paying. Morning breakfast is a bagel and fruit, which isn't bad until you eat it for six days in a row. Rooms were small and not air-conditioned, but the neighborhood felt safe and overall, it was a good place to crash at the end of the day.

• 22nd Mar 2015

I only stayed a night so all I needed was a bed. I had a private room: it was clean, the bed was comfortable and the room even had a sink. The bathroom on that floor was clean as well. The only thing which bothered me a little: the room Temperature was very high and there was no way to turn the heat down or open a window... Regarding noises: it's New York the city that never sleep, of course you hear people talking, cars or sirens ;)

• 21st Mar 2015

Pretty standard hostel, nothing extraordinary. Good location.

Staff poeple are not really nice, kind of cold and indifferent. Having Wifi only accessible in the common room of another house is a pain. The shower/toilet were not super clean. Super noisy hostel => horrible night sleep. Nothing to prevent light from the street to come into you room at night. Only good thing : free pizza once in a while.

• 15th Mar 2015

Very good location, only 4 subway stops from Times Square. Rooms and toilets were very clean. Wifi not available on rooms. Breakfast was basic but tasty. Common areas are very small.

I couldn't sleep well at this hostel because of air conditioner. It keeps my room too warm during night and I talked to front desk but they said like there is no way to control the temperature setting. So I opened the window of my room but I heard so much noise from outside such as car, pedestrians' chat. Moreover, the air conditioner also makes big noise from inside of it. It sounded like someone hits iron with hummer. So I couldn't sleep and that's why it was totally uncomfortable for me.

• 12th Mar 2015
  • Japan

Location has all you need if u only stay there to sleep: a bed, a toilet, a shower and a basic breakfast. If u don't expect anything else, then it's a good place to stay. Only 5 min walk from the subway. WiFi is very good.

• 12th Mar 2015

The Chelsea international hostel has a great location in Downtown Manhattan. A subway station is only a few minutes away but we actually walked everywhere. The staff was super nice at check in an check out and our room was fine.

• 11th Mar 2015

Over all a nice place, old but clean. Staff was polite. Accommodations were simple but nice. I would recommend this place if your in s budget and want to stay in Manhattan.

• 9th Mar 2015

Although the staff was accomodating, the hostel had some issues that diminished the quality of my stay: 1. Bed sheets not completely clean. 2. Very loud and noisy in the common room after quiet time (10pm) and in the dorm up to 2am. People were burping, laughing, shouting every word laudly, and banging doors. 3. Very noisy heating system. For the whole night it sounded as if someone was banging on teach pipe with a hammer. Impossible to fall asleep as it continued for the whole night.

The heating system was really noisy, every night there was these very strong sounds of metal hitting the pipes, as if someone was hitting it with a hammer, strong enough to wake us up each and every time, and it was 2 or 3 times every night. We talked about it with the staff but they didn't seem to care and said it was "normal". I had a previous experience in this hostel which was quite pleasant, but after this time I doubt I would stay there again.

• 8th Mar 2015

It is th 7. or 8. time I stayed at Chelsea Hostel. It has all I need for my tours to galleries, museums, theatres etc. It is simple and straight, and I love the nice and friendly staff from Central America who works with cleaning, coffee and all. You get wht you pay for and there is no fuzz! Of course I noticed that the prices have gone up... yours Thomas Kruse, Denmark

• 7th Mar 2015
  • Denmark

Clean, simple & well-kept.

• 7th Mar 2015

cleaning staff a little noisey when they arrive in the mornings..(6-7AM)......they need to talk less at this early hour!!!.

I stayed here for 1 night, just needed somewhere to stay after a late flight into NY. It did the job - walking distance to penn station, quiet, comfortable bed, well heated, a decent free breakfast and fairly cheap. I'd stay there again for a similar purpose. Didn't seem great on the social side, it was very quiet and the common room closes at about 11pm, but not sure it's that type of hostel.

Great location on this place though ambiance is a little bland even compared to other hostels in the U.S. The night guy on reception on Friday was a complete d-bag - maybe a fairly common "Welcome to New York" attitude. But the morning and day people were fine. Make sure to get your ticket for breakfast (I didn't get mine the first night). Room was fine, bathrooms clean enough.

• 27th Feb 2015

The only thing I can highlight from this Hostel is that the location is excellent and the price is very convenient...

• 27th Feb 2015
  • Argentina

Actually perfect place for short staying on Manhattan

Felt like a prison, we were meant to stay for a week however we didn't last 24hrs. No sound is blocked out from any of the rooms and you constantly hear people banging on the radiator. If this doesn't bother you then this place is for you. Oops nearly forgot the temp in the room was set to bake. Which meant we didn't need the dodgy blanket they provided.

• 26th Feb 2015

One of the worst staffs, some quite rude, not really helpful and who need to be COHERENT with the "rules" (eg people chatting and smoking late outside rooms, and ppl kicked out of "common room" after breakfast just so they can clean). Plus so so shower, trash left in room and recycled linen ew... Not worth the location, better off at The Local. PS-Chelsea team, don't bother replying to this feedback or start arguing like at the hostel-if anything, take some pointers and DO try to improve, txs

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7