Chelsea International Hostel Reviews

251 West 20th Street, New York, USA

Great location and easy to check into. My room was clean and easy to find and I felt very safe. Toilets, sinks, and showers could be improved but given that it's NYC and there is very little space, it really wasn't too much of a problem.

• 24th Aug 2015

One staff member exceptionally friendly and helpful upon check in, but another very rude when the internet went down. Overall good facilities and nice courtyard/common area, but unhelpful these (and the internet) can only be accessed until 11pm.

• 21st Aug 2015

very small room. Only bed in room, nothing else: no table, not a single chair. No wi-fi in room, only in common area.

Hostel lacked any public sinks. Only one sink in room with no hand soap. Wifi barely worked, even in common area. Breakfast was ok until we sat down in the dining area and saw a dead cockroach under our feet. I would recommend looking for another hostel for those looking for places to stay in NYC. I've stayed at many hostels, this one was theost disappointing...

Roaches in the kitchen area. Early morning of first stay, there was a rat walking across the courtyard area.

I had a wonderful experience. From staff, to room, my roomy, other guests... Everyone was very friendly. Moreover, its near to Times Square, so it was the best location and ressonable too.

• 17th Aug 2015
  • India

Didn't like that they closed the common area at 11pm. Also not enough kitchen facilities - no kettle

• 17th Aug 2015

Excellent location, clean, but overpriced! It was the most expensive hostel I have ever stayed in and I don't think the services warranted the price. I was expecting amazing and it was just an average hostel. Not worth what I paid.

Great value for the money. Would recommend to anyone.

• 16th Aug 2015

Really good location- it's only a couple of blocks from the subway so you can get anywhere Free breakfast was good The showers could have been cleaner, and the stairs are hard to climb with a suitcase. Other than those couple of little things it was a great stay :)

Sort out the wifi in the bedrooms please. Staff could be friendlier.

I have stayed here many times, and always felt it was OK. The neighborhood is GREAT, and the facilities have been "clean enough." This past time is my last time. The blanket provided had blood stains on it (SO INCREDIBLY GROSS), there were hairs in the "clean sheets" provided, and our room neighbors were the loudest, most disrespectful guests (door open with loud music through the night, visitors at all hours, running up and down the stair screaming). My last visit for sure.

• 14th Aug 2015

My stay at Chelsea was great! My room had a good size and the locker there too. The room was verg clean so were the bathroom. Location is good, just a few blocks to the subway. The staff was nice and helpful! Only problem I saw was a small mouse walking in the kitchen one night. I talked to the cleaning lady and haven't seen the mouse afterwards.

I like that eaxlch room had it's own sink. That was very convenient.

Everything was great - the location is perfect (you can find 5th Av nearby with all the NY features), the room was simple but clean (I didn't expect to see the washstand there so it was a pleasant surprise) and the girl staff cleaned it every day (or maybe only took out the trash I didn't spy because the room was clean anyway). Also there is a locker there (so you need a lock for it). Wi-fi is good.

• 13th Aug 2015
  • Ukraine

Mediocre hostel in good location. I got spoiled I guess after traveling through Europe; hostels there are much nicer. One of the staff members was not very friendly & very rude.

Terrible old bathrooms. No sinks except for in your room.

The staffs are very kind and helpful .however the bathroom is quite inconvenient and breakfast is just cereal and some bagel.

• 12th Aug 2015
  • Malaysia

The staff could definitly have a better attitude. They always responded to my request, but they gave me the impression that I was wasting thier time.

Good location that's the positive part. The man on reception was not particularly welcoming, the bad points were that having a shared restroom they could have provided soap/hand sanitiser. The shower was rubbish, it lost all water completely when someone else showered on the floor below. The hostel had WiFi but only available outside or in the common room which closed at 10pm. The room was tiny and the beds were not comfortable as I could feel the springs in the rubbish mattress.

• 10th Aug 2015