Chelsea International Hostel Reviews

251 West 20th Street, New York, USA

My stay here exceeded all of my expectations! No issues just beyond impressed! Very clean, safe and comfortable hostel for NYC! I will definitely be back!!! Staff was so wonderful and I loved having my own room to store my belongings during my trip. Can't beat the price! With admiration ~ S

• 25th Oct 2014

Noisy and rooms here were very barren and basic. Beds were uncomfortable. Stayed the next night at New York Budget Hostel and Hotel and there were 2 nice blankets, 2 pillows, carpeted floors, nice mattresses, computers to use, etc. It was also less expensive.

Staff was extremely helpful and friendly. The location is very good - in the middle of Manhattan, so main tourists spot are easily accesible. Times Sqr is a walking distance, so is the bus terminal. As for New York, the one can hardly find a better spot.

It was very dirty and smelled pretty bad, the smell reminded me of swimming pool restrooms. The cleaning lady was basically on the phone every time I saw her, she didn't do much cleaning. The location was very good though, only a fifteen minute walk from penn station (big train station). The breakfast was poor, one very dry bagel and one piece of old fruit. The breakfast area is too small for the amount of people. The wifi was very fast!!!

• 18th Oct 2014

the staff sucks! horrible people, they treat you like if you are there just to bother them. Bad bad bad.,

Staff were rude. During my check-in someone approached them with a very broken English asking about the wi-fi and the person at the front desk replied very rudely and fast in English. Later when I inquired about the wi-fo, because the password informed in the common room was wrong, they seemed very surprised. Also because it was close to end of the common room hours they did not bother to reset the wi-fi because it was not working. And when I complained about it I was almost screamed at.

The Chelsea Hostel is exceptional value for the money .. Central location in a hip vibrant neighbourhood ... Easy acces to subway transit ..: perfect for travellers that want to SEE the city NOT stay inside a room !!! Lots of fun excited international travellers to chat with .. Decant coffee

• 15th Oct 2014

The location of the hostel is great. You can walk in 15 min to the Times Square and from there to other near located attractions. WiFi only in the common area, not in the rooms. Stuff is friendly and helpful if you ask, but they don't explain anything when you arrive. Breakfast is included, and I could join a comedy event for free. So for my needs it was good.

• 13th Oct 2014
  • Switzerland

Staff was friendly, accommodation was acceptable, it was clean. Couldn't really ask for much more. Only drawback was leaving the luggage in hallway when I was out for a few. Otherwise, all was well!

• 13th Oct 2014

It will be necessary to have a nigth table with a lamp, idealy a small table too. Change shower curtains, water wet the bathroom floor, making it dangerous.

Solid stay as usual...perfect location that is easy to get around. A good, basic place to stay if you want to spend your time & money on other things in the city. Always happy to come back here;0)

We stayed in the room near the road on the first floor. It was very noisy, so I could not sleep well.

トイレバス共用のシングルルームに2連汨しましたが、南京虫(Bed Bug)にいっぱい噛まれました… それ以外は物価の高いNYでは大変助かりました。立地も便利です。

• 11th Oct 2014
  • Japan

Very friendly staff ! Room was clean but plain. Overall a good location 3 blocks from the C, E line.

I personally believe that the hostel is OK. I actually had a 2 bed dorm. However, I guess that its staff still need to learn how to communicate with people. They have to be more professional and not arrogant or getting upset easily.

• 10th Oct 2014
  • Romania

I had a private room with twin bed and sink on a floor with six other small bedrooms; all shared a single toilet and single shower. There was considerable street noise, but the room itself was quieter with the window closed, particularly with my ear plugs. I wish there had been a screen on the window. If I hadn't read a review on TripAdvisor, I wouldn't have know to bring my U.S. passport. Need to make sure that it clearer in all ads and info.

Enjoyed a quiet room. Only the mattress could do with a replacement - but this is the case in other hostels, too. The community room / kitchen shuts at 11pm, which I was surprised by.

• 9th Oct 2014

After reading the reviews, I expected a sterile histel, which was true. What I did not expect was the horrible beds. Mine sunk in the center and I had to use my pillow to fill in the hole in order to sleep. I've stayed in many other nyc hostels that were cheaper but further from what I was interested. With the awesome subway system I'll stay further uptown next time

Felt like you were staying in a prison rather than a hostel.

• 8th Oct 2014

All in all a pretty good place to stay. 3 blocks from a subway station in a nice neighborhood with plenty of decent places to eat. The breakfast is only ok but not terrible. Not many places to hang out and meet people (common rooms are pretty small and somewhat isolated). The rooms were clean but didn't have nearly enough outlets.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7