Chelsea International Hostel Reviews

251 West 20th Street, New York, USA

Superb location, great value for money. Booked a 2-bed female room, was upgraded to a single room for a total of under 40 dollars - impossible to beat. The facilities are cramped, as can be expected in a central NYC location. Wifi is only available in the common area, not in bedrooms. The atmosphere is nothing special, but if you are looking for a centrally located, clean, quiet room to go home to after a busy day in the city, this is the place to go.

Overall clean, but amenities and rooms are old and shabby. No hand soap, paper towels or mirrors in bathrooms. Included breakfast is good. Bagel, fruit, butter and jam with unlimited milk and cereal. Kitchen lacks many utensils. Wi-Fi is ONLY in common rooms. Charge for storing luggage. Pricey, but by NYC standards it would be considered cheap. Given the range of hostels in NYC, I would probably try my luck somewhere else next time.

Location was really central. It was pretty dated, but however very clean and staff was friendly and helpful. It says there is WIFI, but note that it is only in common area, not in the actual room! Do not chose this hostel if you are a light sleeper, it is extremely noizy!!

Good access to subway and airport WIFI should be made hostel wide as the common area gets to packed in winter as u just can't sit outside Now my biggest problem is noise ! There is no carpet at all in the hostel and the walls are paper thin and the outside door slams and every time I jumped out of my skin ! And every stomp up the stairs is herd every conversation u can contribute to. The cleaners come at around 8 every morning and bang there mop around hitting every possible surface

• 19th Jan 2015
  • New Zealand

there is no internet after 10pm and nowhere to sit. if you stay in dorm its a really big problem. and night staff is usually very rude. there were different people at the front desk in different nights and they all found a reason to snap at me it wasnt an argument they just seemed really bothered when someone asked questions at night and if you ask anything about hostel they yell at you for not knowing. people at the front desk in daytime are nice. so expensive and its only beds no real lounge

• 19th Jan 2015
  • Turkey

This hostel is perfect if you aren't planning on spending much time inside, or mingling with people. Granted, we came in January 2015 so it was cold and probably a slow time. The room was small, and to access the common areas you had to go outside. Breakfast was an apple and a bagel with one pad of butter. But for the $ and LOCATION, this place was EXCELLENT. 15 minutes to everywhere we wanted to go. Easy access to subways, and plenty of shops/food around the hostel. Old building but clean.

• 15th Jan 2015

I liked the location, it was just 5 minutes from the underground to Time Square, the staff in the kitchen are not very nice though, having a pocker face all the time is not the atittude the would show.

Central Location and clean, best value for Money. In Otter Hotels You have to Pay More than the Double and they are also Not better

• 10th Jan 2015

Great location, very cheap and my belongings were very secure. Also, great wifi! The atmosphere at the hostel is almost non existent, the kitchen lacks basic utensils (you are only provided with plastic forks and spoons) and the toilets do not even have soap to wash your hands! Great if you are always out and about in New York and if you generally eat out rather than cook. They have a pizza night on Wednesday but there are no actual organised activities.

It is a little sad that the kitchen and the common area already close at 11 p.m. The security standards were very good and the location is awesome!

An ordinary hostel in central New York. A lot of noice from the pipes, so I didn´t have a good sleep at all the one night I stayed there.

• 8th Jan 2015
  • Sweden

It was cold in the room, but the whole stay was great. Perfect value for money.

• Poland

Decent sized room for what you'd expect in New York, we dealt with one very lovely man at reception. Downside was that there was a lot of noise particularly at night, there was a lot of banging.

The room was so cold that both of us ended up sharing a single bed, but the shower was ok. We didn't mind how basic and small the room was because we didn't expect much from a cheap room in New York. However both of the bed sheets and the pillows were covered in hair and after leaving myself and the person I was travelling with found small red bites on our scalps and backs so I definitely wouldn't return.

• 7th Jan 2015

It was so so cold in new york city and the heater was turned on so low I almost froze to death. I had to take blankets from another bed in order to survive the night. The tiling on the bathroom floor was so cold that my chilled toes prevented me from having a good night's rest. The bed was also bad, my roommate complained of back problems after a few nights. I myself experienced back problems after a night's stay. The man working at the counter was not very friendly when i asked about lockers.

• Singapore

Such ideal location and friendly staff. For the amount of money we were paying I was expecting something a little nice/modern. But it did the job and would recommend this place to anyone.

The hostel was a great value. We had a great time. The free breakfast was a nice touch and the room was great! While most of the employees were pleasant, one older gentleman at the check in desk was quite rude. When asking for a cash deposit he scoffed and said, "You don't have $20 between the two of you?" and was completely abrasive and seemed burdened by our inquiries about procedures that would affect our checkout. Not the type of type of person who caters a warm and welcoming environment.

• 6th Jan 2015

My boyfriend and I booked separate dorms as that is all that was available and to save money but when we got to the hostel the man who checked us in upgraded us to our own room for free! So lovely! That was the biggest positive, besides free pizza on Wednesdays the common room is pretty average as is the wifi only available downstairs and the strictness with breakfast.

This hostel is really nice due to the number of international visitors all talking and enjoying the atmosphere here. Breakfast is good, the showers etc. are very clean but a bit small to move in.

• 5th Jan 2015