Chelsea International Hostel Reviews

251 West 20th Street, New York, USA

Cost is extortionate for what you receive. Booked into Hi Hostel NY for the second night, it was cheaper and had a theatre, social room, cheap cafe, great service, information about anything you wanted to know more about and atmosphere was incredible.

• 27th Aug 2014
  • Scotland

It was a good experience, good price... but the staff is kind of rude

• 26th Aug 2014

I had a private room and it was clean and tidy. It was small, however. There were two staff members I encountered at the desk, both men. One was friendly and calm, and the other a tad argumentative. The breakfast was fine, if unexceptional. The overall atmosphere could be friendlier, with more focus on hosteling and activities for people, even if it's just offering more than the standard wall of Broadway fliers. Note that the rooms have no deadbolt locks, no security chains, and no peepholes.

Really enjoyed our 2nd stay at the hostel. It keeps getting beter and better each time we go.

• 23rd Aug 2014

Very bad. I don't recomend it. You only have wifi in the common areas and my room was single. Very small

Would be great with allnight wifi possibly from rooms but overall great.

• 22nd Aug 2014

Didn't stay long; but seems like a cool place. Breakfast is included which is handy and the location is also. It seemed to be quite a busy hostel with lots going on; the communal area and courtyard is a great space for meeting people and socialising with other travellers.

Some of the staff were very rude to me on several occasions. The person checking me in was talking on the phone to someone else while doing so and as a result was very short with me and did not tell me important things like they're being a key to access the courtyard where my room was after a certain hour. When I came back late one night and asked the check-in window for help because I didn't know how to get in, a (different) person spoke to me like I was a complete idiot for not knowing.

Not that good for the price. Room very old. looks like a prison. No internet in the room.... Won't come back.

• 20th Aug 2014

The size of the room was fine and the bed was comfortable aswell. It also had air conditioning and heating. We had our own bathroom but it was pretty small, sinks were small too and the jet of water wasn't very strong either. Nevertheless, the breakfast was okay (1 Bagel, 1 Fruit, Cereal, Coffee and Orange Juice)and the public areas were great to meet new people. The best thing about the hostel was the position in beautiful Chelsea, with the subway only a few minutes from Midtown Manhattan!

• 19th Aug 2014

Really poor atmosphere, not helped by the other common area being the only place you can get WiFi so everyone is on their phone etc. Pretty poor facilities -I stayed in a budget hotel 3 streets away for the same price (single room) and got a much bigger room with tv and safe for the same same money. Location is great and the breakfast is good.

Pretty nice hostel. Fantastic location. Liked the setup of the hostel, very private. Staff was polite.

The location is great, safe, and clean. The staff was helpful but not very friendly.

• 18th Aug 2014

I loved this hostel, it was a really good stay. The only thing that could be better is wifi in the rooms. Currently it is only in the common area and doesnt have a good connection. Great location, informative staff.

• 18th Aug 2014

Had a great stay! Wonderful walking distance to practically everywhere. Very clean and safe and we loved the ability to store our luggage before and after checking times!

• 17th Aug 2014

My stay at the Chelsea international hostel was pleasant. It is in a good location, the room was clean, the 11pm no drinking in the courtyard rule made it easy to sleep (we had a room facing the courtyard). Overall good location, you can walk to Times Square and Chelsea is a cool place everything you need is within walking distance and it is close to subway stations

• 16th Aug 2014

Very expensive here. I booked NYC late so I had to stay here. The location is great, the staff are great. There's a connecting subway station nearby. The shower was a bit weak and the computers were very slow. Overall this is a fine hostel, but my advise would be to book NYC early

Comfortable beds. Easy 25 min walk to Times Square, simple navigation to subways. Wifi rarely reaches bedrooms. But on the odd occasion when it does, you have to be at the front of the room. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast is a baegle, fruit, cereal, coffee - which was good & satisfying.

• 16th Aug 2014

Not cheap but this is New York, so as good as it's gonna get! Room was as basic as it gets and had a distinctive jailcell feel to it! A cheap framed picture or painting on the wall and some brighter colours wouldn't cost much and would improve the feel of the rooms. But ultimately I was only ever gonna sleep in the room so it wasn't really a problem. Only real downside was the wifi being turned off at 11pm. I mean, really?

Two of us occupied a 4 person sweet. Was pleasant but wish we didn't have to pay the full fee for 4 persons. Also bring your passport even if US citizen

• 14th Aug 2014