Chelsea International Hostel Reviews

251 West 20th Street, New York, USA

This is probably the cheapest place where you could stay in central Manhattan! It is VERY basic, virtually like a prison cell but there is a washbasin in the room, a toilet and a shower just outside and everything is kept cleen enough. Staff are fair, breakfast is one fruit, one bagel and unlimited cornflakes, milk and coffee, but you could stay in a much more expensive hotel and not get much more anyway. Although I forgot my earplugs I wasn't disturbed by noise. I'd definitely stay here again!

The hostel was clean and the location good but the beds were horrible, the common rooms not very nice and thus the atmosphere wasn't very friendly. The breakfast room got too crowded in the morning. Frankly, I won't recommend this hostel, it's too expensive for the value.

Staff were rude and unhelpful. Rooms were either freezing or boiling. Showers were also freezing or boiling, with no pressure and no Bath mats provided. There were bugs in the room. No WiFi in the rooms, and only in one of the common rooms, which was locked at 11pm so after that no WiFi at all. Breakfast felt like prison rations. Every morning at 8am workers from the hostel would make somuch noise that sleeping in was not an option. Would have been similar price to stay in a hotel. Just awful.

• 24th Apr 2014

Quiet neighborhood, Bagel and fruit for breakfast, WIFI only in the common areas, room was a little bit like a prison cell.

The room was okay but the sound insulation is so bad. Neighbours were walking around and talking till mid-night and the noise of people getting up around 5-6am made me hard to sleep. The window cannot be open and it took me at least 5 min to open the door each time. The receptionist wasn't very kind or helpful. The wifi is not very fast. And I also had bad experience interacting with one of the guests there- the atmosphere was not very friendly and i would not stay there anymore.

• 24th Apr 2014
  • China

It was my third time there and always a good experience. Lucciano (I guess is the manager) is really an amazing help for every guest. The other employees must follow Lucciano's steps, but this last time I really felt the level of every employee is better than the last 2 years! The hostel is very well located, closet to the subway, pharmacy, supermarket, convenience stores etc. In a few minutes walking you are in the main touristic points of Manhattan.Thanks for everything! I go back for sure!

Grim cell-like rooms, faulty locks, grumpy staff, unreliable shower, parsimonious breakfast. Location is good. WiFi only in common areas, pay for left luggage.

As two 24 year olds on vacation in New York, this place was perfect. Right in mid-town we were able to walk to every single thing that we wanted to see and do: sights, museums, restaurants, comedy clubs, bars, and shopping. The best part: at the end of a long day, it was very east to get back to. Do the Chelsea specifically for its location. Four walls, a bed, and a door that locks. What else could you ask for when you will spend no time inside it. It was clean and the employees helpful.

An excellent Hostel to stay. Mr Lucciano is very kind with guests.

• 22nd Apr 2014

Paying for luggage storage seems to be a money grabbing exercise, especially after the high cost of a room. Money spent on free pizza would be better spent on renovation works.

• 22nd Apr 2014
  • Wales

No complaints about this hostel. Great if all you need is a place to sleep. Good location , I was able to walk to most of the places I wanted to go and the Subway just 3 streets up on 23rd. It is Clean and breakfast consists of bagel , Cereal and fruit There are lockers in the room and If after you check out you need to store luggage as I did there are lockers in the basement for 5 dollars. I could not at first figure out the electronic system with these lockers but Staff was ready to help.

Excellent location, friendly staff, sad rooms but clean. excellent quality for the price. I will return.

• 18th Apr 2014

Well run hostel. Excellent and friendly night staff, good security. Good standards of cleanliness.

Very pleased with my stay.

• 18th Apr 2014

In the heart of NY but still in a quiet neighbourhood. The rooms are small and plain but very clean. Would definitely go there again.

Fantastic location helpful and friendly staff

Its a hostel but I feel more like being in a hotel jeje the common areas are very unfriendly to stay and make friens, but has a great location.

• 15th Apr 2014
  • Mayotte

The person with who I made the check in was super rude, he had very bad maners, he even threw my credit card several time insted of gave it back to me and was not very accessible when I ask about some questions related about my staying. People in the next room were very loud at night, from 1 to 4 am!! eventhough when they should be quite since 11pm acording to the hostel recomendation. Besides that, everything is good, a bit expensinve, but I gues it is because is NYC and the location is good.

everything was very good

• 13th Apr 2014
  • Mexico

Just okay for couple of days. No real interaction because of all the separated buildings. Perfect situated close to subway and central.

• 12th Apr 2014