Chelsea International Hostel Reviews

251 West 20th Street, New York, USA

Good place for value. et what you paided for.G

• 2nd May 2014

One of the best hostels I've stayed in. Excellent location, great staff, clean, and a a good value.

• 1st May 2014

Well, It's not a place to hang out not funy at all, i didn't like front desk zero hospitality and you barely have contact with them, the breakfast was good enougth, the room are super uglies but clean. You receive exactly what you pay. Chealsea is a hostel to have breakfast and sleep.

The hostel was kept very clean and the staff were really friendly. I spent very little time at the hostel, really only to sleep so I can't comment much about what the rest of the hostel had to offer. Breakfast was ok. It was so packed in the kitchen you could barely move let alone find a place to sit. I ended up not even using my breakfast tickets and eating out instead after the first morning. Will be returning :)

• 29th Apr 2014

I was staying in a 4 bed female dorm with bathroom for 6 nights.They cleaned the room everyday so it was fresh. Breakfast was good, a bagel with fruit and unlimited cereal, coffee and juice. Wifi in common area. The room was either sauna hot or freezing cold they couldn't really get a hang of it but the weather was shifting as well. Location is in the middle of uptown and downtown manhattan get a subwaycard the stations are not far away.

Hostel was in an excellent location and cheap -- two things that saved me plenty of time and money. Very quiet and pleasant window view. My mother and I shared a private room and were happy to have a clean space although it was not the prettiest looking room (the wall needed to be repainted and the fluorescent lights made me feel like I was in a garage.) The floor was slanted and my mom joked about rolling out of bed a few times in the night. Aside from that, no complaints!

Great location. Bathroom iwas so small. Breakfast was not enough. Bed is not comfly. I've booked twin room with ensuite but i got bed with only a washing sink , there's no bathing facility inside the room, what a joke!! Worse than that, when i openned the door, stink smell hit my face&nose so strong that I almost threw up. However, all staffs were lovely and friendly. Comedy on Tuesday's evening was great.

• 28th Apr 2014
  • Thailand

Hi, Sorry to say that you actually booked a 2 Bed Female Shared Room No Bath x 1. Our reservation system is linked to Hostelworld.com and their affiliates, so you get exactly what you ordered.

Our stay at Chelsea hostel would have been better if the shower room were a little bit more cleaner and if the beds were little bit less rude. We also had no wifi in the room. The hostel is well situated and the staff was nice, and the breakfast complete.

When I checked in during the morning the staff was not good. The guy was not patient to explain what the fees were and what was going on. I think it's very important making things clear as well as being aware that not everybody understands everything. Although, the other guy during the check out was very helpful and friendly.

• 26th Apr 2014

This is probably the cheapest place where you could stay in central Manhattan! It is VERY basic, virtually like a prison cell but there is a washbasin in the room, a toilet and a shower just outside and everything is kept cleen enough. Staff are fair, breakfast is one fruit, one bagel and unlimited cornflakes, milk and coffee, but you could stay in a much more expensive hotel and not get much more anyway. Although I forgot my earplugs I wasn't disturbed by noise. I'd definitely stay here again!

The hostel was clean and the location good but the beds were horrible, the common rooms not very nice and thus the atmosphere wasn't very friendly. The breakfast room got too crowded in the morning. Frankly, I won't recommend this hostel, it's too expensive for the value.

Staff were rude and unhelpful. Rooms were either freezing or boiling. Showers were also freezing or boiling, with no pressure and no Bath mats provided. There were bugs in the room. No WiFi in the rooms, and only in one of the common rooms, which was locked at 11pm so after that no WiFi at all. Breakfast felt like prison rations. Every morning at 8am workers from the hostel would make somuch noise that sleeping in was not an option. Would have been similar price to stay in a hotel. Just awful.

• 24th Apr 2014

Quiet neighborhood, Bagel and fruit for breakfast, WIFI only in the common areas, room was a little bit like a prison cell.

The room was okay but the sound insulation is so bad. Neighbours were walking around and talking till mid-night and the noise of people getting up around 5-6am made me hard to sleep. The window cannot be open and it took me at least 5 min to open the door each time. The receptionist wasn't very kind or helpful. The wifi is not very fast. And I also had bad experience interacting with one of the guests there- the atmosphere was not very friendly and i would not stay there anymore.

• 24th Apr 2014
  • China

It was my third time there and always a good experience. Lucciano (I guess is the manager) is really an amazing help for every guest. The other employees must follow Lucciano's steps, but this last time I really felt the level of every employee is better than the last 2 years! The hostel is very well located, closet to the subway, pharmacy, supermarket, convenience stores etc. In a few minutes walking you are in the main touristic points of Manhattan.Thanks for everything! I go back for sure!

Grim cell-like rooms, faulty locks, grumpy staff, unreliable shower, parsimonious breakfast. Location is good. WiFi only in common areas, pay for left luggage.

As two 24 year olds on vacation in New York, this place was perfect. Right in mid-town we were able to walk to every single thing that we wanted to see and do: sights, museums, restaurants, comedy clubs, bars, and shopping. The best part: at the end of a long day, it was very east to get back to. Do the Chelsea specifically for its location. Four walls, a bed, and a door that locks. What else could you ask for when you will spend no time inside it. It was clean and the employees helpful.

An excellent Hostel to stay. Mr Lucciano is very kind with guests.

• 22nd Apr 2014

Paying for luggage storage seems to be a money grabbing exercise, especially after the high cost of a room. Money spent on free pizza would be better spent on renovation works.

• 22nd Apr 2014
  • Wales

No complaints about this hostel. Great if all you need is a place to sleep. Good location , I was able to walk to most of the places I wanted to go and the Subway just 3 streets up on 23rd. It is Clean and breakfast consists of bagel , Cereal and fruit There are lockers in the room and If after you check out you need to store luggage as I did there are lockers in the basement for 5 dollars. I could not at first figure out the electronic system with these lockers but Staff was ready to help.