Chelsea International Hostel Reviews

251 West 20th Street, New York, USA

Second time at this place. Stayed in a twin private this time. Clean and basic room, good air conditioning, powerful shower. The courtyard is great for having a couple of beers on a warm evening. Free pizza on one of the nights, coffee available all day In the kitchen. What more could you want for the price? Will be back again soon.

• 17th Jun 2015

Ended up staying here about a week, and like everything in NYC it's expensive for a hostel, but for the location (a half hour walk to Times Square and surrounds) it's pretty worth it - I didn't spend any money on transport while in NYC because most things were in walking distance. Not much of a common area apart from the yard, but you'll find most people there at breakfast time and it's pretty easy to get chatting to people. Enjoyed it and would stay again (assuming I had enough money to do so).

great location some of the desk staff openly disdainful to some guests no common area after 11pm is a downer

• 13th Jun 2015

it is too bad hostel. Staff is very rude and he show racial prejudice to me because of my nationlity. firstle, He didn't accept that I hold my baggage in my room until 11:59am. then I said the check out time (12:00), he got angry to me, and he said something bad about my nationality. and he throwed the keys towards my face. then I got back my baggage and I leaved from there. I suggest that nobody shall go there.

I stayed here for the night because I had a job interview early the next morning. The area is great, the staff super friendly and helpful (helped me print out a resume even with the computer closed). Although it does have setbacks. The bathrooms are separate (toilet and shower in separate rooms) No hand soap is provided and rooms are a bit cramped. Nothing fancy but it is clean and they have air conditioning in the rooms. Thank god (hottest day of the month). Overall, its a decent place

The Chelsea is an amazing find in the heart of Manhattan, a price I still can't believe. Facilities I rank as average only because it is, after all,a hostel, so I didn't expect anything but what is necessary--a comfortable bed, sheets and blanket, lights, sink and a shared shower and toilet on a hall with only 4-5 rooms. Breakfast is pleasant and sufficient. I you need fancier fare, there is plenty very close by. I walked back from up & down town at 11 p.m.--very safely. I would stay again

Nice place to stay. Simple but clean rooms. Great and safe location. Nice common area in the backyard. Breakfast with bagel, fruit, corn flakes, juice and coffee.

The clothes of the bed sheet are old, and looks like dirty. Ventilation requires and upgrade. Maintenance of facilities are in bad conditions.

it would be desirable to improve the cleanliness of rooms and facilities

Location was everything. I would stay again just for this reason. I was a solo female traveler & felt very safe at the hostel & in this area. There was no atmosphere at the hostel, so if you are looking to make friends, go out to party etc I would look elsewhere.

In one of the rooms, getting hot water shower was a little tricky due to a funny tap, and the washroom was a bit spartan (no hooks for clothes). Otherwise alright.

The staff is good but the common room closes at 11, which is too early.

It was a lot more expensive than two other hostels that I have tried on Manhattan and it was definately worse. One of the guys behind the desk was very unfriendly. The atmosphere was not good. The location was good though, which I guess is what you pay for. I would definately not recommend it to anyone as anything else than a last resort.

The service was excellent. I left a very small sentimental item behind and they found it and mailed it back to me. I will be returning!

• 5th Jun 2015

Quality accommodation for the price corresponds. It is probably the best option on the Wail Manhattan location, everywhere was allowed to walk - 30 min Times Square, Central Park 1 hour, Ground Zero 1.25 hours. Staff is little slow, but it is an American specialty everywhere ...

• 3rd Jun 2015
  • Czech Republic

the only good thing about this hostel is its location. other than that, everything is just terrible.

• 3rd Jun 2015
  • China

Being American and only experiencing hostels in Europe I was a little nervous because of the negative rep hostels have here in the States, but I was so lucky to be wrong! This hostel was in the PERFECT location, in a safe, nice, clean location, and the facilities were very average but everything I could need. The man at the front desk was SO nice and made me feel very comfortable. Would definitely stay here again and recommend to my friends/family.

The hostel was very clean and nice, didn't have much interaction with the staff but the few times they were nice. The shared bathrooms were very clean compared to other hostels I've been to, which is a big plus. Not much interaction with other guests as most of the time they're probably out in the city. Price (70 dollars a night) was decent considering the location and the city.

I am a recent college graduate that came from Colorado to NYC for a job in the fashion industry. It has been a stressful move, especially while trying to apartment hunt in NYC. The staff at Chelsea was BEYOND amazing and accommodating of my needs, and were EXTREMELY helpful during a very tough transition! They were incredibly nice and understanding of my situation, and the fact that they were willing to help me out so much shows how amazing this staff is! I would without a doubt HIGHLY recommend

• 1st Jun 2015

every things was normal except Wi-Fi connection i should have connected in every room not only commen area or kitchen and kitchen closed very early 23.00pm

• 1st Jun 2015