Chelsea International Hostel Reviews

251 West 20th Street, New York, USA

Hi, I stayed at the hostel by 8 nights, they didn't change my towel during the whole stay... they should change it every day. The shower at the first floor didn't work well. They don't have WiFi everywhere, just at the common area.

Loved that it was bang in the heart of Chelsea with great proximity to everywhere in the city! Staff was helpful, especially Luciano! I will be back in NY in 3 weeks and this is where I'm staying again.

• 3rd Apr 2014

Clean and great location

• 3rd Apr 2014
  • Dhapsoro
  • Indonesia

Great location, police office is a cross the street so there is a constant presence of officers(not that it feels un safe) I stayed in a two bed room, solid bed, good heating, clean rooms, showers scrubbed every day. Lockers in room but you need your own lock(rite aid across the road sells combo locks) The only bummer is that the vibe is dead, not exactly a party place if you're looking for one. On the other side it's perfect if your in NYC to check the place out and relax.

This was my first hostel experience, so nothing to compare to. You may do some prelim research on staying at hostels before booking. With that said, I enjoyed my stay. I had a Private 1 bed suite. Sure the bed could have been more comfortable, the thermal control at my fingertips, and even have an ironing board to borrow to go along with the iron, but for a place to crash in NYC, I could not have asked for a better base. Huge bonus: Cafe Grumpy on your street, great for serious coffee.

• 1st Apr 2014

Room was like a prison cell, turned the bin upside down to make a bedside table. Floor of the room was not flat, locker leaning on an angle reluctant to put anything into it in case it fell over. Staff were friendly but the cleaning started early in the morning about 8. Draconian breakfast rules & serving. Kitchen and common room shut between 11pm & 7am - not able to eat /drink/use internet - HOPELESS! WILL NOT RECOMMEND TO ANYONE I KNOW

The 4 bed female room was spacious and clean with big enough lockers, which is good. We had a bathroom ensuite and a separate sink in the room, which is perfect cause you can wash hands or brush teeth until someone is taking a shower. Breakfast included, not so special, but good enough for backpackers. The front desk and the common rooms are too much separated so you don't really have any connections with the staff or fellow travelers, the only thing I didn't like.

Included breakfast was nice, rooms were spacey. Maybe could include maps to stations. Locker didn't include lock which was more annoying than anything. On second inspection this was put in the room details, but they could make it a bit more obvious, or better still provide locks.

Big rooms and no bunk beds was a plus. Chelsea is a great area too and only a block from the red line. Breakfast was a little strict and there's no wifi in the rooms which was annoying

Kitchen did not have much utensils. Only plastic knives etc. Hard to really do any cooking there.

• 21st Mar 2014

Generally a really good hostel - fantastic location, secure, decent facilities and a good price.

Its clean, warm, helpful, professional staff and perfect location.

I had a private room with shared bathroom. The room was fine, bathroom and toilet were clean as well. This hostel looks more like a hotel though, staff was not very helpfull, almost seemed like the guests were a burden, no 'family feeling' or whatsoever. The common room/dinner area felt like a restaurant set-up, not really suited for easily meeting other people. I think this is a perfect hostel if you want privacy, ok facilities and do your own thing, but not if you want a warm welcome feeling.

• 20th Mar 2014

We stayed in a room with bath, but there was no bath but small shower. The breakfast is from 8 am, which is rather late. We had to leave early the day of departure and asked people in the kitchen at 7:30 for a bagel and fruit to take out, for which all they had to do was to get them from sacks right in front. We were instead scolded, "Not until 8 o'clock. A rule is a rule."

The location was great and it was secure. The problem I had was the heat in the room was turned up so high that I couldn't do anything in there one evening except go to bed and try to stay cool. It was literally an oven. Also, the courtyard closed at 10pm according to the posted signs, but there was noise out there until 1am most nights. I get it, it's a hostel, but there are certain limits especially for a weeknight. Random stains on the sink and sheets too.

• 18th Mar 2014

Very well located, close to two subway stations and very clean. The wi-fi just works in the commom area but it was very cold when I was there, so that wasn't a good point of the hostel.

I had the feeling to stay in a Prison(special to get the Breakfast on the Window -counter).Maybe in the Summer is the Atmosphere more common, when you can stay outside in the courtyard. The staff does his job and not more.

My 2nd stay here. Great location, close to subways and everything there's to see and do, very clean, accomodating staff, and you can't beat the price - the cheapest place in NY! I will definitely be back!!!

A comfy bed, a hot shower (if you pick the right one and it's free) and a reasonable breakfast every morning. All very, very basic though. There were no social activities planned as advertised though. The guy on reception, Tommy, was very helpful to me when I asked advice and made very good suggestions of areas to see, bars to frequent, etc, on the other hand.

Excellent hostel (good, substantial breakfast included in the cost)