Chelsea International Hostel Reviews

251 West 20th Street, New York, USA

Nice place to stay , reception desk workers so kind, just one of them ( old one ) sometimes looks angry !!! Just try to improve it =)

Apart from problems with the heating (Unable to turn it down) I'd stay there again. Nice friendly staff in a good location.

First time staying here, pleasantly surprised, would definitely come back again and recommend :)

• 27th Dec 2013

Great hostel, excellent value for money. Located in a quiet area but there are plenty of cafes and restaurants nearby. Very clean and secure. I stayed in a single room, it was small, but adequate, and had shelves, locker and handbasin and the heating was excellent - it was actually too hot in the room so I turned the heater off. Free breakfast is great. Can not say enough good things about this hostel, I highly recommend it.

Second time i stayed here. I do like Chelsea International Hostel and their "now how"; the only thing i really got dissapointed by is that in almost 4 years the only improvement was "we now give towels". There´re so many things and improvements that can be done (for example, wi fi ALL OVER the place) and is such a visited hostel in NYC that is hard to beleive they cant.

• 24th Dec 2013

Pretty much what I expected for a hostel in New York.

• 24th Dec 2013

We booked 11 nights and stayed for 1. We woke up and our private room door was open (you cannot get in without a key, first into the building.. then into the room). The rooms are all in brownstone walkups that you access off of the street (lovely area). We addressed the prob with Staff, who were incredibly helpful and polite, this is the only good thing I really have to say about the hostel. Should you choose to stay here, be prepared for basic overpriced accomodation.

The room and facilities were clean and organized as advertised. The staff were very nice and accommodating. The location and price can't be beat. I will be back for sure.

• 22nd Dec 2013

I found your hostel very bleak . The room was dull with nothing to show for the money paid and the kitchen was very awkward not alot of space to sit comfortable and food choices were very limited. And the communnal area was very depressing found it very depressing during my stay not a very happy stay at all.You should have more things to do while staying there for the guests.And the staff should go more out and be more friendly The staff seemed very reserved when asking for directions,questions

• 21st Dec 2013

Excellent price. Simple rooms, with HOT temperatures inside the room (i went in cold december). Good showers with hot water. The breakfast is simple but ok, with bagels, fruits, milk, cereals, juice and coffee. The hostel has big lockers near the reception to leave luggage if you have to check in or check out and don't have where to put it. Excellent location, near subways that goes to every part of the city.

Smelly rooms. Building not suitable for managing people with big pieces of luggage. Many applianaces broken, especially in bathrooms. Checked in around midnight. Night staff was extremely un-welcoming and hardly spoke.

• 21st Dec 2013

Everything was okay. The room was clean but new paint or a little bit of decoration sure would help it feels a bit less used. The free breakfast was convenient even if it was simple. Maybe it's the way the hostel is spread (little separated apartments), but even if it was full there was not a lot of a fun and social atmosphere. I loved the location (we walked to most of the place we visited and the neighborhood felt really safe)

Perfect no frills location with friendly staff. I've stayed here a number of times & this is a great location for all the restaurants & sites that I visit each time I'm in NYC. Brekkie is a bagel, a piece of fruit & cereal & this is included...enough to get me through the morning. Thanks for a great stay as usual;0)

I would prefer it to have elevators

Rooms, toilets everything is too cramped. But it is clean and centrally located

I spent two days in Chelsea International, my room is on the street, and in the night around 2-3 pm, it is really noisy, I only slept 3-4 hours every nights, but it is really the cheapest one I found, so I can't complain too much about it .

• 18th Dec 2013
  • China

everything looks and is really old, bed, shower, mattress! breakfast only from 8-10am even on the weekend, and only one bagel with jelly and a fruit! heat makes loud noises!

They add taxes in the hotel you should mention that or includ it please

• 15th Dec 2013

It says on the site. Just read through the description and conditions.

Definitely not a party hostel, just a place to sleep. The main reason I stay in hostels instead of hotels when I travel is for the social aspect. It was impossible to meet anyone when they shutdown all the common areas at 10pm. Facilities were great, and the only interaction I had with the staff was when checked in/out.

it was awful... I couldnt sleep during the last two days because of very weird annoying noises, from heating tubes, or how they are called. also heating didnt work o the last day.

• 12th Dec 2013