Chelsea International Hostel Reviews

251 West 20th Street, New York, USA

Situated close to the Best parts of Manhattan. Breakfast is fine. The wifi not always that stable. The posibility of leaving luggage up to two weeks is nice.

Sort out the wifi in the bedrooms please. Staff could be friendlier.

I have stayed here many times, and always felt it was OK. The neighborhood is GREAT, and the facilities have been "clean enough." This past time is my last time. The blanket provided had blood stains on it (SO INCREDIBLY GROSS), there were hairs in the "clean sheets" provided, and our room neighbors were the loudest, most disrespectful guests (door open with loud music through the night, visitors at all hours, running up and down the stair screaming). My last visit for sure.

• 14th Aug 2015

My stay at Chelsea was great! My room had a good size and the locker there too. The room was verg clean so were the bathroom. Location is good, just a few blocks to the subway. The staff was nice and helpful! Only problem I saw was a small mouse walking in the kitchen one night. I talked to the cleaning lady and haven't seen the mouse afterwards.

Really great atmosphere at this hostel, however a little bit out of the way for tourist thing like time square etc. Overall the hostel is pretty run down and is expensive for what you get, however I really enjoyed my stay there because the other people staying at the hostel were great!

I like that eaxlch room had it's own sink. That was very convenient.

Everything was great - the location is perfect (you can find 5th Av nearby with all the NY features), the room was simple but clean (I didn't expect to see the washstand there so it was a pleasant surprise) and the girl staff cleaned it every day (or maybe only took out the trash I didn't spy because the room was clean anyway). Also there is a locker there (so you need a lock for it). Wi-fi is good.

• 13th Aug 2015
  • Ukraine

Mediocre hostel in good location. I got spoiled I guess after traveling through Europe; hostels there are much nicer. One of the staff members was not very friendly & very rude.

Terrible old bathrooms. No sinks except for in your room.

The staffs are very kind and helpful .however the bathroom is quite inconvenient and breakfast is just cereal and some bagel.

• 12th Aug 2015
  • Malaysia

The staff could definitly have a better attitude. They always responded to my request, but they gave me the impression that I was wasting thier time.

Good location that's the positive part. The man on reception was not particularly welcoming, the bad points were that having a shared restroom they could have provided soap/hand sanitiser. The shower was rubbish, it lost all water completely when someone else showered on the floor below. The hostel had WiFi but only available outside or in the common room which closed at 10pm. The room was tiny and the beds were not comfortable as I could feel the springs in the rubbish mattress.

• 10th Aug 2015
  • All Male Group, 18-24

great staff, see pictures on tripadvisor, great location, great matrasses :) , great pizza, breakfast w/ real fruit! great place to make new friends! love it! home away from home!

Hostel was fine, the rooms are average. Just beds, a sink and lockers. Common area is outside, breakfast was okay. Electronic Lockers downstairs were good if you were checking out and wanted to leave your stuff. Air con was really loud in the room, had to turn it off at night. Wifi connected in common area. Overall okay hostel.

Generally nice place, with basic breakfast. You meet lots of fun and interesting people. There is no internet in the rooms - only in the common area. WHY? Closing the yard at 11 pm, WHY?

I loved this hostel. Only things I didn't like was the fact that often times the hot water in the shower does not work & breakfast starts after 8 am.

Had a private room for 8 nights, it was literally a tiny bed in a room, but it did the job. The place is clean and the bathrooms are clean, although the shower was super tiny. The social aspect of it was good, met a lot of cool people! Didn't use the kitchen but it looked fine! The wifi isn't great, it can't be used in the bedroom, only the common area and still then it's sketchy. The common area closed at 11pm every night, even on a Saturday, which I thought could be extended for the weekend.

• 8th Aug 2015

The key to the room was misplaced. Checked out at 8:30 AM and told the person at the desk that I would return with the key and did so but was told at 2:00 PM that the key deposit was not refundable. I still have the key and will return it upon request as the locks had not been changed at 2:00 PM.

• 7th Aug 2015

Nice staff/location.

There was a horrible smell throughout the hostel during my stay. And they were really militant about the way they rationed breakfast (a small bit of butter and jam not enough for a bagel). The common area closing at 11pm was super inconvenient as that was the only place I could access wifi as its not available in rooms. The staff were okay but not particularly friendly! I'm glad I didn't book to stay there my whole trip in NY!!

• 6th Aug 2015