Chelsea International Hostel Reviews

251 West 20th Street, New York, USA

Perfect for those who searches for a cheap accomodation and does not expect more than a clean warm bed, hot shower and a roof above the head. I was pleasantly surprised by breakfast quality - nothing spectacular but just enough in terms of calories+taste.

• 4th Jan 2016
  • Russia

Stayed in a private room which was excellent and very good value for money. Very good location and very clean.

The window was open when we first arrived which was a little unsettling. Check that the windows are secured before residents check in.

• 31st Dec 2015

What a great place to stay. So cheap and you get breakfast every morning. You get a bagel, a piece of fruit, cereal, juice and coffee. Every Wednesday they have free pizza night, which they provided about 20 huuuuge cheese and tomato pizzas. We also had a comedy night last night that brought people together. Would I recommend this place? You betcha! Thanks for the stay, see you again CIH! 😃

this hostel's location is very good and easy to go everywhere. but there's no wi-fi just on public area. and tv was broken. plz fix it! except for them perfect!

• 30th Dec 2015
  • South Korea

This was a wonderful option for being centrally located, and cannot believe how cheap the rate was for a single bed with a sink in the room. Incredibly glad I booked here and would absolutely do so again without hesitation.

• 30th Dec 2015
  • Uruguay

In this day and age to NOT HAVE WIFI IN ALL ROOMS IS PATHETIC. There was no WORKING TV IN ANY OF THE COMMON AREA's and does not look like a priority to fix. We were there 7 days. If you want wifi in your room or a working TV look elsewhere OR TO ACTUALLY COOK A MEAL. PS NO CULTLERY THAT COULD CUT FRUIT, MEAT OR BREAD IS LEFT FOR GUESTS TO COOK WITH AGAIN PATHETIC. TRY CUTTING MANGOES WITH A PLASTIC KNIFE

• 29th Dec 2015
  • Couple, 41+

Location was great, could walk to most attractions. Rooms were clean and functional. Bathroom on every level, don't think I ever once had to wait to use it. On the downside there wasn't much of an atmosphere in the common room and no matter how tight I would shut the heater valve it would still come on and make the room unbareably hot.

• 26th Dec 2015

Very good location. The room was clean. The breakfast was very good and generous. Only drawback: the heater was noisy during the night.

• 25th Dec 2015

Great location. Near to subway stops and only a 15 min. Walk from Penn Station.

Great location, warm in winter and super value. I stayed here back in 2007 and was really impressed with the location. The rooms are clean (I had a private room without a bathroom). There were two bathrooms just outside my door that were always free which was convenient. For me the hostel had almost no atmosphere (compared to others I've stayed at), but that didn't concern me as I was there to see the city. Improvements that could be made: wifi in the rooms. A more sturdy lock on the door.

• 21st Dec 2015

None wireless in my room was the only problem I had. Without that, it was perfect place for me.

• 21st Dec 2015
  • South Korea

Staff really helpful and friendly, gave loads of information and even opened the communal area for me at 2am without me having to ask so I could tell people I'd arrived ok. Entrance was a little confusing late at night but the area seemed very safe and was right by the skyline which was a nice walk to Times Square. Breakfast not huge (you get one bagel and packet of jam) and rooms quite basic. You have to pay for bag storage but it is in secure lockers.

Had a great stay in Chelsea!

• 17th Dec 2015

The hostel is in a really nice neighbourhood and convenient. Staff were helpful.

It's definitely not the most fun hostel I've been in. The staff isn't that interactive with guests and one of the common areas lacks good wifi (or TV). But all in all it's pretty decent for your money. Great location. Safe.

• 12th Dec 2015

the "room" was basically a jail cell. Bathroom and shower was quite ghetto for the lack of a better description.

Good location, but nothing else. I did not notice hospitality and good atmosphere, especially after being greeted by a rude gentleman at the front desk. Good neighborliness, limited breakfast, I was sometimes in NY in hostels with better standard and less / equivalent price.

Staff were really helpful and gave great recommendations. Hostel was basic but did the job!

Don't stay here if you're looking for a typical hostel environment - there's no real atmosphere. Breakfast was sufficient and working was stable and fast, but only available in the common room.