Chelsea International Hostel Reviews

251 West 20th Street, New York, USA

My boyfriend and I booked separate dorms as that is all that was available and to save money but when we got to the hostel the man who checked us in upgraded us to our own room for free! So lovely! That was the biggest positive, besides free pizza on Wednesdays the common room is pretty average as is the wifi only available downstairs and the strictness with breakfast.

This hostel is really nice due to the number of international visitors all talking and enjoying the atmosphere here. Breakfast is good, the showers etc. are very clean but a bit small to move in.

• 5th Jan 2015

Couldn't control the temperature to my room so sometimes my room was too hot and sometimes the heat seemed to be turned off at night so it was too cold.

• 5th Jan 2015

The room was smaller than I expected, but it was clean enough. Very good price for hostel in such a convenience location and including breakfast. Staff were very nice, friendly and helpful. You can't look for making friends here, so it's more fun to come with your friends. I liked free pizza party on Wednesday. Although it is not like party, we can eat pizza! I would choose this hostel if I have a chance to come back!

• 2nd Jan 2015
  • Japan

Do not stay here if you are a solo traveller. No social activities ie. Walking tours, pub crawls etc are arranged. The staf hide away in their office. Place stinks of bleech. Lockers in rooms are only large enough for valubles and luggage goes under the bed. Great location is the only upside. If you are going in a group of friends would recommend as its close to subway to go out. Soli travellers should check out the HI new york instead

• 1st Jan 2015

This Hostel's location is very nice, Blue Line and Red Line is close from Hostel. 3rd Floor is difficult to connect WIFI and to climb. Hostel is clean and all staff is kindness.

• 31st Dec 2014
  • South Korea

The perfect place if you like cockroaches, towels unbelievably well worn, blankets with holes, too thin to warm you up. Don't even think about the heater, they decide when it opens and when it closes. When they open it, in your room may not work. The wifi only works in one small area. Common areas are only open from 7am to 11pm, I asked, and not even in new year eve they let me watch the ball drop on TV. Plus someone stole my food from the fridge. The security guy's answer, "I don't know"

• 27th Dec 2014
  • Spain

We are sorry you were disappointed with our hostel. The heating system is automatic and works according with the current temperature. A professional exterminator comes once a month, so problems with bugs are rare. We could have moved you to a different room had we been notified about it. The fridge is of common use, we are not responsible for your food, which should be labeled. Also all information about our facilities / hours are stated on the website for your knowledge before you book.

Perfect location to explore Manhattan with Chelsea market and High line close by (a big plus).

• 26th Dec 2014
  • China

It was a great location for us since we were taking a tour starting at Chelsea Pier. Beds were firm but comfortable. They didn't supply soap, so bring your own. Located a short walk away from a Rite Aid. Breakfast is just a bagel and a piece of fruit.

• 20th Dec 2014

Stayed in a single room, it was just above the common room which gave me wifi in the room which was great! I like the fact that breakfast was included. Very clean! (except for the towel, which had a few stains...) A great price for a great location, definitely value for money!

• 13th Dec 2014
  • Sweden

Вed bugs!!! It's disgusting! Taking into account previous reviews, where guests also wrote about bugs - it's irresponsible that management of this hostel doesn't doing anything to improve the situation. Definitely would not recommend Chelsea hostel to stay.

We have not had problems with bed bugs in many years. We had a professional revise your room top to bottom and nothing was found. We pay special attention to cleanliness and the entire property is exterminated once a month by a professional exterminator.

Won't ask for a lot more, but somewhere to hang my long winter coat would have been nice... along with wifi available in the rooms. Hehe. Thanks! :)

• 11th Dec 2014
  • Singapore

The WiFi was very bud, specially in the 3rd floor, there was no signal.

There Double bed was too small and blanket felt not so clean enough. Othes were good.

• 5th Dec 2014
  • Thailand

location is good, but the place is cheap. stayed in a single, which had a bed and nothing else in it. wifi only in one room, breakfast an apple and one bagel....for the price no value

The best thing about this hostel was the location. the subway was just a few blocks away, also, there's plenty of things to do in chelsea as well. this is a pretty impersonal hostel, so if you want to meet people, it's not the right place. i had a single room and i did have wifi in it, but be careful, because not every room has it. the hostel was clean, simple, but it's perfect location vise and if you're just looking for a place to sleep, not hang out.

This was a great hostel! Great location in Chelsea and very close to the subway. I would stay here again next time I'm in NYC! :)

It'd be naive to expect anything better from such a cheap hostel located where this one is. The room was quite clean, breakfasts were substandard but, on the plus sidd, they were included at all. Wifi router's DNS wasn't working, had to fix the problem to be able to use it. If you're short on money and want to stay in Manhattan, this is absolutely the place to go, imo. You won't get any fancy features, but you'll get a decent non-rotten sleeping place.

I thought the location of the Hostel was amazing because it was not too far from the heart of the city. The staff were friendly and the people were friendly. The only thing that I would recommend, would be more variety of food for breakfast. Thank You!

• 3rd Dec 2014
  • Honduras

really great location! friendly staff and good breakfast bagel