Chelsea International Hostel Reviews

251 West 20th Street, New York, USA

The Staff need to be polite a little.evertyhing else is as described.

• 28th Aug 2014
  • Turkey

Nice. Big Rooms. Clean. No Wifi in Rooms (only in common area which is closed by night)

Wish the wifi was available in rooms but other than that really good

• 27th Aug 2014

I enjoyed staying there! The lactation was very good, easy to go everywhere. There are many people on the street until like midnight on the weekend and also the police office was right in front of the hostel so I felt pretty safe even tho I (girl) walked by myself. I definitely recommend this hostel if you think hotel is too expensive in NYC.

• Japan

Cost is extortionate for what you receive. Booked into Hi Hostel NY for the second night, it was cheaper and had a theatre, social room, cheap cafe, great service, information about anything you wanted to know more about and atmosphere was incredible.

• Scotland

It was a good experience, good price... but the staff is kind of rude

• 26th Aug 2014

It is in a good neighborhood realky close to 2 metro station as well. The rooms are average. It is good for sleep but if you want to spend more time in the hostel you must know that the rooms are for 2 person so not so big. There s no wifi in the room. The toilet and the shower is clean. There is a locker in the room but you have to have your on lock because it is not provided.

• 25th Aug 2014
  • Hungary

we missed just the wifi at late nights, everything else was pretty good, we loved that place!

• 25th Aug 2014
  • Hungary

I had a private room and it was clean and tidy. It was small, however. There were two staff members I encountered at the desk, both men. One was friendly and calm, and the other a tad argumentative. The breakfast was fine, if unexceptional. The overall atmosphere could be friendlier, with more focus on hosteling and activities for people, even if it's just offering more than the standard wall of Broadway fliers. Note that the rooms have no deadbolt locks, no security chains, and no peepholes.

Blank appartments with roaches roaming freely on the floor (you can buy poison at Duane Reade nearby) and unfriendly staff that seemed unable to say 'Hi' and even more unable to act after hear you saying that the shower was way too hot and needed adjustments, but rather said 'it's just the way it is throuout the building'. Worst place I've ever stayed in NYC, despite the great location.

• 24th Aug 2014

Really enjoyed our 2nd stay at the hostel. It keeps getting beter and better each time we go.

• 23rd Aug 2014

Very bad. I don't recomend it. You only have wifi in the common areas and my room was single. Very small

Would be great with allnight wifi possibly from rooms but overall great.

• 22nd Aug 2014

Can't really add to the previous comments. I was able to get a good WiFi signal. I realize that Manhattan is expensive, but the $85 I spent per night seemed excessive and deceptive, as the site doesn't make it real clear that the $71 per night charge doesn't include tax. My shower had no soap dish and a terrible curtain that allowed a lot of water to spill out. The Brazilian-born man at the front desk was very nice and accommodating. Why do you limit the characters in these reviews?

• 21st Aug 2014

Didn't stay long; but seems like a cool place. Breakfast is included which is handy and the location is also. It seemed to be quite a busy hostel with lots going on; the communal area and courtyard is a great space for meeting people and socialising with other travellers.

Some of the staff were very rude to me on several occasions. The person checking me in was talking on the phone to someone else while doing so and as a result was very short with me and did not tell me important things like they're being a key to access the courtyard where my room was after a certain hour. When I came back late one night and asked the check-in window for help because I didn't know how to get in, a (different) person spoke to me like I was a complete idiot for not knowing.

Not that good for the price. Room very old. looks like a prison. No internet in the room.... Won't come back.

• 20th Aug 2014

The size of the room was fine and the bed was comfortable aswell. It also had air conditioning and heating. We had our own bathroom but it was pretty small, sinks were small too and the jet of water wasn't very strong either. Nevertheless, the breakfast was okay (1 Bagel, 1 Fruit, Cereal, Coffee and Orange Juice)and the public areas were great to meet new people. The best thing about the hostel was the position in beautiful Chelsea, with the subway only a few minutes from Midtown Manhattan!

• 19th Aug 2014

Really poor atmosphere, not helped by the other common area being the only place you can get WiFi so everyone is on their phone etc. Pretty poor facilities -I stayed in a budget hotel 3 streets away for the same price (single room) and got a much bigger room with tv and safe for the same same money. Location is great and the breakfast is good.

Pretty nice hostel. Fantastic location. Liked the setup of the hostel, very private. Staff was polite.