Chelsea International Hostel Reviews

251 West 20th Street, New York, USA

Not great, but not too bad. I didn't have much contact w/ the staff, but the little I had they're nice. The breakfast is not good at all, the rooms and bathrooms are ok. Wifi only in the common area, which I didn't use because was not very cozy. The localization is really good, and considering NY prices it's reasonable.

I enjoyed my stay here, the staff was helpful, the room was clean and although I didn't take advantage of the free Wi-Fi or the other amenities, the fact that they had that option was great. The hostel was just three blocks away from a subway station, the neighborhood was quiet and clean, and I felt safe in the area, which as a single female traveler it's really important.

• 24th Apr 2015

It was great experience . I stayed at the hostel 2 nights. Clean, safe and amazing location. Good and friendly staff.

• 23rd Apr 2015
  • Turkey

Wifi signal not always consistent

the internet connection can only be reached at the kitchen

This is my 5th time staying here. fab location, in the heart of Chelsea, close to midtown & downtown, a couple of blocks from Highline, close to bars/shops in Chelsea, Meatpacking, West Village. Unfortunately the single room I stayed in this time didn't have a good view, there was constant clanging noise from the waterpipes all night. Breakfast is minimal (grape jelly on a bagel?!) cleaners seem to always be cleaning so never piece & quiet. The room price has doubled since my last stay too...

Amazing place, close to Subway in a good neighborhood. If I come back to NY, I will stay there again.

• 18th Apr 2015

The room had so much bad smell. Blankets and sheets were not clean enough. I felt extremely itch.

• 16th Apr 2015
  • South Korea

The location of the hostel is great: only 2 blocks away from subway lines, surrounded by markets and restaurants. The rooms were ok, but poor maintenance: they should be cleaner and some deserve a renovation (I stayed in 3 different rooms there), specially the windows, that don't block any of the noise from the street (ask for a room facing the internal court) or the sunlight (very sheer window treatments). Good breakfast included. Wifi only in the common areas and rooms close to them, crazy.

Great staff, friendly and accomodating. Decent facilities but beds and rooms could be better. Have stayed at better and cheaper hostels but this one is truly recommended for less than a week. Longer stay requires better beds!

I'd like to have a soap in my bathroom. It's something like a little minimum you expect then you book a room for $90 per night.

Nobody smiled, staff were unfriendly Full of school kids - they were loud, annoying and ate ALL the free pizza No wifi in rooms Nobody told the incredibly loud people who were in the courtyard all night to be quiet, even though it was supposed to shut at 10 or 11. The heat in the rooms was RIDICULOUS. Unbearable and unnecessary. Felt sick every morning until it was turned off (apparently the hostel has no way of turning it down, which seems strange, but that is what we were told),

Great place to stay because of the location. Always a pleasure to have a breakfast the morning.

Very nice stay, great location, unbeatable price. I loved my holiday. Thanks to all of you.

• 3rd Apr 2015

the breakfast was poor.

Friendly atmosphere. Nothing sophisticated but clean.

• 3rd Apr 2015

Yes, I know it's cheap but this place could have made a difference with a bit more care here and there. Literally not a single shelf in the shower room. So you can only leave your stuff on the floor. No soap or shampoo provided (for 25 cents they could provide). Breakfast was garbage. Literally a bagel, an apple, and some mediocre hot drinks.

Fun friendly convenient

Hostel staff was not the most friendly, especially daytime. The athmosphere was also soso, more like a dormitoy than like an hostel. Breakfast was just ok. Wifi wasn't working everywhere. My room was so small that there was not even enaugh space to fully open the door. There were just 2 electric plugs for 44 ppl, and they were all located far from the beds, No small lights were near the beds, Luggage storage was available, but not for free (!!!). Prices were not that low.

They need more plugs in the rooms.