Chelsea International Hostel Reviews

251 West 20th Street, New York, USA

really great location! friendly staff and good breakfast bagel

Great place, lovely and warm for a winter break, excellent location for walking everywhere in Manhattan, shower was excellent, staff were friendly, cheaper than anywhere else I found, great mix of nationalities. Would recommend.

I think is important they help the host to move the packages and make some improves with the pillows

• 25th Nov 2014
  • Costa Rica

While I was there, we stayed in the twin ensuite room and it was comfortable. Enough space for our gear, bathroom was clean (for a hostel) and the mattresses were quite comfortable. Pillows were a bit bad (as per usual for a hostel) and the towels were a bit gross, so we brought our own. Didn't really get involved with the social aspect of the hostel so I can't comment there. Building was secure with 2 keys needed to get to your room. Location was great, near several tube stations.

• 22nd Nov 2014

I liked the hostel and recommend to my friends. If I ever need again, I will return.

This hostel is fine, the water is hot and the beds are comfortable. We had some problems locking our room door and one of the power points looked like an electrocution risk (I used it though and survived!). The breakfast is basic but good. The location is really good, you're just a couple of blocks from the subway and being downtown it's pretty convenient for seeing the city. We just walked to a lot of the main sights.

I hardly doubt you'll find a better hostel in NYC than this.

• 20th Nov 2014
  • Sweden

Excellent stay. The hostel is in a great location. I had a private room with a washbasin in the room and bathroom down the hall. My room and the bathrooms were extremely clean. Would stay here again and recommend to friends.

• 20th Nov 2014

THis is my favorite place. I'm in NY a lot (live in Boston) and I always try to find a bed here. By far the best one of all hostels that offer single rooms.

With this price you are getting exactly what you're expecting. If you're looking for a cheap night sleep in a relatively safe and convenient place to stay, this is a good choice. Metro is only 5 mins walk away and 24 he's check in is very convenient. You're in a city that never sleep so you probably don't want to stay in the room/dome for a long time anyway.

• 15th Nov 2014

No wifi on the roos... that's a pity... Good breakfast Clean rooms, warm, hot water!

• 13th Nov 2014

Always have enjoyed my stay at this hostel. Stayed a couple of times. Staff is super and clean environment. Best location. Highly recommend

• 12th Nov 2014

Price was 5 times what I had just been paying in major European cities for FAR less. The room had a broken, boarded-up window and cockroaches. The building has very narrow hallways, narrow & uneven stairs, and strange shared toilet & shower (one per floor). Maybe every place in NYC is this bad and this poor of a value for the money?

Second time I've been here and it was again a wonderful experience. It was nice to just sit down on a bench and talk with people from different parts of the world.

The bed could have been better. It sagged in the middle.

• 9th Nov 2014

average quality/service/cleanliness excellent position 2 metro stops from Times Square and World trade center The room is very poor

• 8th Nov 2014

They just could improve the internet wireless connection to all place and not just on commun areas.

For the price, I was expecting a little more than just a room with a locker in it. You even have to supply your own padlock. That said, the doors all had decent locks on them and I wasn't worried about anyone getting in. The place was fairly clean, but a bit run down. In desperate need of a lick of paint. Wifi isn't great. Good location. Over all, suited my needs perfectly - just a place to sleep for a couple of nights. If I was staying any longer than 2 nights, I'd look for somewhere else.

• 7th Nov 2014
  • Scotland

There is no shelf in the shower area which would be helpful. The shower walls were dirty and not cleaned during my stay. The towel provided was dirty and never changed during my stay; glad I brought my own. Excellent location, felt safe, and nicely sized room.

• 6th Nov 2014

I really loved the location and the neighborhood. The hostel is fair and exactly what I expected. However, the employees aren't polite and don't like any question or any kind of contact.

• 5th Nov 2014