Chelsea International Hostel Reviews

251 West 20th Street, New York, USA

Bed is fine but slightly slants on one side, guess guest sits on them as there are no desk/chair provided in the rooms. Overall vibe is good.

• 5th Aug 2015

I loved the place, loved the old guy who checked me in, he was coo. But the young guy in that hat who comes later at night is an absolute ass. He's the rudest guy ever. And not just me, most of the friends I made there had the same thing to say. I don't wanna type out my entire story but he was ridiculous all 5 nights that I stayed. I would've gone back the next time surely but I will not - just coz of him. Tell him to tone his voice the next time coz he might get socked in the face otherwise.

• 4th Aug 2015
  • India

The location is great! Loved Chelsea. Stayed in a four bed dorm and it was nice and clean. Bad that there is only one mirror and that is in the bathroom, would be Nice with one in the room as well. The breakfast was ok with a bagel, cornflakes and a fruit. I would stay here again because the location is so good.

• 31st Jul 2015
  • Sweden

I loved staying here because it didn't feel like staying at a hostel. It was very clean, private, great value for money (for New York) and fantastic location. I had a private room, and I will stay here again, and recommend it to my cost conscious friends. It's the closet thing to staying in a hotel, for a fraction of the cost. And again, great location.

Hostel was clean, with everything you need for a stay, beds were comfy and air con was great. Free wifi was good. Breakfast was a small selection but for the price it was great.

• 31st Jul 2015

Great location, 20 minute walk from Penn Station and 5 minutes from the High Line

• 27th Jul 2015

Awesome location .. Clean .. Free breakfast friendly staff all the good things . Plus it's Cheap !!

The hostel is ok considering the money spent. Location is the number one selling point here and you can easily reach subway and other cool neighbourhoods from there. I've stayed in a two bed female dorm and it was ok for the night. There is a locker and air con. Noise from streets isn't too bad. Breakfast is simple, but fills you up before exploring the city. Staff was nice and helpful. Lockers after checkout are easily accessible if you need to leave your luggage there ($5 per day).

Hostel location was not extremely central however not that far from the main sights - 2 very close subway stops can take you to most sights directly. It is about 10 mins to the flatiron building and the Highline is very close by too. Room was basic but alright for my needs I.e I was staying out the whole day and only needed a bed to sleep on. I never had to queue for the shower or toilets which was great. Breakfast was sufficient (a bagel, tea or coffee, a piece of fruit and orange juice).

• 27th Jul 2015

Very nice and clean good walking location good breakfast every morning

• Mexico

We had a twin room with bathroom. It was clean, especially the shower and toilet. It was also nice not to have a bunk bed. Yet sleeping was a little disturbed sometimes because the walls are not very thick. Breakfast consists of a bagel, butter, jam, and a piece of fruit. Good, but I had expected a buffet from the description. The staff was not especially friendly, but ok. The location was good, two subway stations are close and it is even not that far to walk to the Empire State Building.

The staff were professional, courteous and consistent their duties! I'm definitely coming back to stay given chance! Thank you for everything! 😊

• 24th Jul 2015

Great place to stay. Clean,great location, very friendly staff. Prices are Excellent .

• 23rd Jul 2015

This was a wonderful, and more affordable, way to visit NYC. The location was perfect, and the two-bed dorms were fantastic.

• 23rd Jul 2015

This hostel was in a great location. This was my very first hostel experience and it was an ok one. No terrible experiences. These were decent facilities, nothing fancy but not deteiorated. Overall decent place to stay. No complaints.

• 22nd Jul 2015

I stayed at Chelsea international with my best friend, I'm 19 and he's 18. We both thought it was awesome. The fact that the wifi was only available in the common area sounds very bad and we did think it sounded pretty annoying, but it gave us the opportunity to get to know people and also see NYC at night Location is perfect everything is walking distance. If you have your own locks there are lockers in the rooms.

• 21st Jul 2015
  • Denmark

The description for our room was very misleading, '2 bed with private bath' was actually a room with a basin, and a shared bathroom in hall. Another thing that really annoyed us was the wifi only being in the courtyard, private calls were impossible and bad connections meant yelling into the phone. Courtyard closed at 10pm which was a nuisance!. Staff were snooty and not welcoming at all, and it certainly was a chore for them to give us some fresh towels considering we payed an awful lot to stay

This is a decent hostel, very centrally located in Manhattan. It's a little pricey for what it is, and the rooms could do with updating, but it's also clean, safe and fairly quiet, so I'm not sure you can get much more for your money in such a central location.

Great neighborhood! Near to subway which makes getting anywhere extremely easy. We went to a neighborhood bar called Flight 151 and it was a great dive bar, we stayed all night on a Wednesday night! The hostel was clean, beds weren't great, free pizza on Wednesdays, free bagel and piece of fruit for breakfast. Common area is closed by 10 so not a great place for partying.

Hostel was simple and basic but everything we needed. Location was good, we walked to a lot of places, and a subway stop was close by. Breakfast was good and very filling, a bagel and piece of fruit each, and then unlimited tea, coffee, juice, and cereal. We got free pizza on Wednesday night which was delicious, there was a lot and not many people seemed to be eating it! The breakfast staff didn't speak much English and it was hard to communicate but the reception staff were very friendly.

• 14th Jul 2015