Chelsea International Hostel Reviews

251 West 20th Street, New York, USA

Felt like you were staying in a prison rather than a hostel.

• 8th Oct 2014

All in all a pretty good place to stay. 3 blocks from a subway station in a nice neighborhood with plenty of decent places to eat. The breakfast is only ok but not terrible. Not many places to hang out and meet people (common rooms are pretty small and somewhat isolated). The rooms were clean but didn't have nearly enough outlets.

Regular Hostel on a pretty good location, the staff guy on the afternoon is quite rude. There is a police station right across the street so it is pretty safe. Not particularly well cleaned. A little bit expensive for what you get but all hostels on Manhattan are expensive. I met great people on the room and on the common areas.

• 6th Oct 2014
  • Spain

The hostel is clean and has good location. The rooms are big, but the bed was very small. The staff is not nice, they don´t help in anything and normally has a bad attitude.

Need more hooks in the room and a soap tray in the shower.

• 1st Oct 2014

Really bad is that there is no wi-fi internet in rooms - only on common areas.

• 27th Sep 2014
  • Czech Republic

I had booked a single en suite room for myself and it was on 3rd floor the stairs were really steep and no lift or help to get my large bags up, it was so hard. The room was like a prison cell no feel to it or even a picture on the wall. no air-con in room as told would be. They have nowhere to store luggage except for PAYED lockers so even if your checking out that day you have to pay for full day!!

- A big thanks to the staff. - Very secure lockers and really handy - Clean room - very cosy outside place to have conversations with other internationals. Keep going like this, it was a awesome stay!

This was a good deal for what it was. The room was tiny but the building felt safe, was fairly clean, and pretty quiet all things considered. Staff were very friendly and helpful; breakfast was decent, and the location was good--right near subway stations and buses that could take us pretty much anywhere we needed to go in good time. Having the street market happen right outside on the weekend was great, and there's some great bakeries within walking distance.

We stayed in Chelsea International hostel for two nights while visiting New York. The staff member we met on check-in were friendly and helpful. Our room was basic but clean. We stayed in a private room with ensuite. However everytime we returned to our room we had to fiddle with the door to unlock it. it was very annoying and I went to the office about it but the handyman just came and opened the door and left? We still had this problem throughout our stay. A little annoying after a long day.

Breakfast is a good improvement, but is a little bit confusionary. Wifi in all room would be a cheap, but important improvement. 2 towel would be better.

• 22nd Sep 2014

Great location! Too bad for the locker system that seems to be always overbooked. The price felt a little high, specially because of the toilette and shower facilities (they were very small), other than that everything was perfect, except for the fact that someone from the staff of the hostel enter our room to collect the air conditioner during the day without us knowing, that was terrible!!

• Mexico

Hotel was fine, location excellent. However the ac was removed from our room during our stay because it was the end off summer,but we were still using it. Also the toilet was not properly cleaned. However if you want a cheap stay in Manhattan it's quite good.

• 21st Sep 2014

The guy who checked me in was very rudee. I'd come off a long flight and was very tired and that's the least you want to deal with when arriving at a place you wish to sleep. Ruins the mood.

• 21st Sep 2014

The location and rooms were excellent - real great value for money. Well kept with tidy and new linen, and very spacious rooms. The staff (at the front desk) were helpful and friendly for the most part, while the cleaning staff were a whole lot less friendly (except the two guys) and generally unhelpful mainly because they could not understand English. In terms of the atmosphere, the hostel has a long way to go. No decent common area, no accessible hangout spots. Does not feel like a hostel.

• 20th Sep 2014

The hostel is walking distance to a subway stop and right across the street from a small-ish(for New York) police station. There are several upscale and some inexpensive places to eat nearby and eclectic shops in the neighborhood to visit. My only issue was that the toilet ran/leaked for the first few days, but was eventually replaced altogether. Two hour window for breakfast 8-10 am. Who gets up that early on vacation? They gave me a key that didn't open my door. Overall- A-

The Hostel is very nice. But they have removed the ac, so I couldn't sleep, because the room was too hot. I talked to the staff and he was not nice talking, he said the summer was over, talking hard, and told me to open the window. I opened the window and was still hot. So I was not happy in the other day, because was two days without sleeping. Just the oldest guy with white hair was not nice, but all the people who works there are very nice.

• 20th Sep 2014

Staff are nice. At nights and mornings the place is too loud.

• 19th Sep 2014

The matresses where fine but the metal beads where awfull. We had to put the matresses on the floor in order to be straight otherwise we were sleaping in a curb.

• 18th Sep 2014

I stayed here in 2004 and came back in 2014 and it Really needs remodeling and a facelift. Boring institutional feeling to the place ,great location.