Chelsea International Hostel Reviews

251 West 20th Street, New York, USA

The rooms were very dirty, same as the bathrooms.

• 1st Jun 2014

The staff was very unfriendly and quiet annoyed by the appearence of guests. Concerning atmosphere: it is just a place to sleep, no hostel-atmosphere at all due to the mood spread by the staff. At the last morning we were in the breakfast room still eating at 10:10, when the staff already started cleaning the room and called on us to leave. It was raining outside, so we could not have gone there either to finish eating.

• 31st May 2014

If the rooms had a brighter colour they would be more inviting. Yellow in two diffenrent nuances is not inviting is not nice. The commonroom has to bigger. It was a good thing for us that the weather was good, because then we could sit outside. There wasn't a seat for everybody in the common room if it was bad weather outside for breakfast.

• 31st May 2014
  • Denmark

Great location!! Value for the money with a nice breakfast and friendly staff! The only issue was with the hotel mattress that was too soft...

Great location and the rooms are OK. The breakfast is simple, but good. I forgot my shoes in the room when i left, remembered them when I was on the bus to the airport just an hour after I left, called right away, but they where already gone... If I stay here another time I will definitely be more careful with my things and use the lockers for any objects of value.

• 30th May 2014
  • Norway

On arrival we were a little taken aback as to the starkness and lack of furniture in our room, although everything was spotlessly clean and we were really glad to have our own en-suite. Staff were exceedingly helpful and the Hostel in an excellent situation for getting around New York. The breakfast was adequate although a bit monotonous. We would certainly book with you again if we return to New York.

• 28th May 2014

good value for money, friendly staff, toilets and showers could do with a bit of a scrub. Rooms very basic.

Staff were very friendly and welcoming, and the comedy/pizza evenings seemed like a great idea to get hostel stayers to meet (sadly I couldn't attend but I'm sure they were fun!) Room was clean, very basic with just a bed and bathroom but that's all I really needed. Breakfast was satisfactory.

• 27th May 2014

This is probably the rudest staff I've ever experienced. Was so horribly welcomed by two of them that I avoided going to ask for anything else. It's a very good location, closer to the station. The room was ok, though my sheets were kind of dirty. The neighborhood was very good also.

Very Well located, but noisy And hot as hell. No air conditioning. And you need to keed the same dirty towel until check out

• 26th May 2014
  • Mexico

Hard to take a hot shower, the water took very long to heat up and so there was a lot of waste.

• 25th May 2014

We stayed for a couple of nights in a double room. The hostel is in a good location in Manhattan, close to the subway and there is a lot of places to eat and do small shopping around. The staff were very friendly. Rooms look pretty empty- a locker and beds that look like they were taken from a prison :) No cockroaches too. But it was very clean and you don't sit in a room too much while in NY anyway. Breakfast is included and it was surprisingly OK for a hostel- fresh bagels, fruit, coffee.

Unfriendly staff! The wifi was broken when I arrived and still broken when I left 5 days later. No one seemed to care. The other travellers were not friendly. I was hoping to meet other people as I was travelling alone. If you have a bit more money, spend more and go elsewhere! Very noisy on the road side, luckily I brought ear plugs!!!

in the whole week there wasn¨t internet and nobody took care aboute this, even they didn´t a disconunt because of this

• 21st May 2014
  • Uruguay

Internet out for most of my stay, room was mostly clean but the floor wasn't, couldn't open the window and there was no aircon. Even in May this meant it was very hot! Also, why paint a small single room dark mustard yellow!? Cheap and central, but not particularly nice.

• 20th May 2014

Great location! Shared bathrooms are not that good! Great aread and clean room!

• 19th May 2014

Larry was really helpful - enjoyed the local 'intel' and he was happy to help

• 19th May 2014
  • Couple, 41+

Had an excellent stay! Super easy and nice staff. PERFECT location, we literally walked everywhere in the nice weather we had. And my company had been very nervous about vermits such as cockroaches and stuff - which we didn't see a single one. Very satisfied!

• 18th May 2014
  • Sweden

Wifi only available in the common room (main floor)

Located Downtown NY, so it's close to a couple of subway stations, no need to worry about that. Staff is typical NYC, straight to the point, not going to get a smile out of them, very impersonal, but very helpful! Just talk about the Yankees/Rangers/Knicks etc. and they'll help you THAT MUCH MORE, seriously! Facilities are worn out (it's NYC), but they work and it's clean. Great idea to not have bunk beds! Free breakfast is always good. Room price is very good for NYC, it's a no-brainer!