Chelsea International Hostel Reviews

251 West 20th Street, New York, USA

Had a good time. Been there for the 2nd time, good staff, very helpfull. I'll be coming back ;)

• 2nd Sep 2014
  • Slovenia

The mattress on my bed was very lopsided, and could benefit from being spun around its centre so that people sit on its other side when sitting on the bed.

Only good thing about this place is location, other than that not good at all. Guy at the front desk seems to be always in a bad mood when you ask any question plus I saw small cockroaches in my room the first night I stayed there.

Two blocks to the train can walk to Times Square at your leisure six blocks to the village Nice rest bars in area. Free pizza Wednesdays bagel cereal every morning Great place to stay

This hostel was a prison. The atmosphere was awful - I didn't hear any conversations between guests whatsoever, and everyone I smiled at or said hello to completely ignored me. The bathroom situation was vile - a sink in the room with no soap, a toilet (with no sink) across the hall and a shower (with no room to change) next door to the toilet. It was really dirty and there wasn't even any wifi in the rooms - you had to go & sit in a common room in the basement, where no-one spoke.

There was wifi unavailable in the room and when you rarely got the wifi in the common area it would shut at 11pm and we were unavailable to have conversations with people back home.

• 28th Aug 2014

The Staff need to be polite a little.evertyhing else is as described.

• 28th Aug 2014
  • Turkey

Nice. Big Rooms. Clean. No Wifi in Rooms (only in common area which is closed by night)

Wish the wifi was available in rooms but other than that really good

• 27th Aug 2014

I enjoyed staying there! The lactation was very good, easy to go everywhere. There are many people on the street until like midnight on the weekend and also the police office was right in front of the hostel so I felt pretty safe even tho I (girl) walked by myself. I definitely recommend this hostel if you think hotel is too expensive in NYC.

• Japan

Cost is extortionate for what you receive. Booked into Hi Hostel NY for the second night, it was cheaper and had a theatre, social room, cheap cafe, great service, information about anything you wanted to know more about and atmosphere was incredible.

• Scotland

It was a good experience, good price... but the staff is kind of rude

• 26th Aug 2014

It is in a good neighborhood realky close to 2 metro station as well. The rooms are average. It is good for sleep but if you want to spend more time in the hostel you must know that the rooms are for 2 person so not so big. There s no wifi in the room. The toilet and the shower is clean. There is a locker in the room but you have to have your on lock because it is not provided.

• 25th Aug 2014
  • Hungary

we missed just the wifi at late nights, everything else was pretty good, we loved that place!

• 25th Aug 2014
  • Hungary

I had a private room and it was clean and tidy. It was small, however. There were two staff members I encountered at the desk, both men. One was friendly and calm, and the other a tad argumentative. The breakfast was fine, if unexceptional. The overall atmosphere could be friendlier, with more focus on hosteling and activities for people, even if it's just offering more than the standard wall of Broadway fliers. Note that the rooms have no deadbolt locks, no security chains, and no peepholes.

Blank appartments with roaches roaming freely on the floor (you can buy poison at Duane Reade nearby) and unfriendly staff that seemed unable to say 'Hi' and even more unable to act after hear you saying that the shower was way too hot and needed adjustments, but rather said 'it's just the way it is throuout the building'. Worst place I've ever stayed in NYC, despite the great location.

• 24th Aug 2014

Really enjoyed our 2nd stay at the hostel. It keeps getting beter and better each time we go.

• 23rd Aug 2014

Very bad. I don't recomend it. You only have wifi in the common areas and my room was single. Very small

Would be great with allnight wifi possibly from rooms but overall great.

• 22nd Aug 2014

Can't really add to the previous comments. I was able to get a good WiFi signal. I realize that Manhattan is expensive, but the $85 I spent per night seemed excessive and deceptive, as the site doesn't make it real clear that the $71 per night charge doesn't include tax. My shower had no soap dish and a terrible curtain that allowed a lot of water to spill out. The Brazilian-born man at the front desk was very nice and accommodating. Why do you limit the characters in these reviews?

• 21st Aug 2014