Chelsea International Hostel Reviews

251 West 20th Street, New York, USA

Decent sized room for what you'd expect in New York, we dealt with one very lovely man at reception. Downside was that there was a lot of noise particularly at night, there was a lot of banging.

The room was so cold that both of us ended up sharing a single bed, but the shower was ok. We didn't mind how basic and small the room was because we didn't expect much from a cheap room in New York. However both of the bed sheets and the pillows were covered in hair and after leaving myself and the person I was travelling with found small red bites on our scalps and backs so I definitely wouldn't return.

• 7th Jan 2015

It was so so cold in new york city and the heater was turned on so low I almost froze to death. I had to take blankets from another bed in order to survive the night. The tiling on the bathroom floor was so cold that my chilled toes prevented me from having a good night's rest. The bed was also bad, my roommate complained of back problems after a few nights. I myself experienced back problems after a night's stay. The man working at the counter was not very friendly when i asked about lockers.

• 7th Jan 2015
  • Singapore

Such ideal location and friendly staff. For the amount of money we were paying I was expecting something a little nice/modern. But it did the job and would recommend this place to anyone.

The hostel was a great value. We had a great time. The free breakfast was a nice touch and the room was great! While most of the employees were pleasant, one older gentleman at the check in desk was quite rude. When asking for a cash deposit he scoffed and said, "You don't have $20 between the two of you?" and was completely abrasive and seemed burdened by our inquiries about procedures that would affect our checkout. Not the type of type of person who caters a warm and welcoming environment.

• 6th Jan 2015

My boyfriend and I booked separate dorms as that is all that was available and to save money but when we got to the hostel the man who checked us in upgraded us to our own room for free! So lovely! That was the biggest positive, besides free pizza on Wednesdays the common room is pretty average as is the wifi only available downstairs and the strictness with breakfast.

This hostel is really nice due to the number of international visitors all talking and enjoying the atmosphere here. Breakfast is good, the showers etc. are very clean but a bit small to move in.

• 5th Jan 2015

Couldn't control the temperature to my room so sometimes my room was too hot and sometimes the heat seemed to be turned off at night so it was too cold.

• 5th Jan 2015

The room was smaller than I expected, but it was clean enough. Very good price for hostel in such a convenience location and including breakfast. Staff were very nice, friendly and helpful. You can't look for making friends here, so it's more fun to come with your friends. I liked free pizza party on Wednesday. Although it is not like party, we can eat pizza! I would choose this hostel if I have a chance to come back!

• 2nd Jan 2015
  • Japan

Do not stay here if you are a solo traveller. No social activities ie. Walking tours, pub crawls etc are arranged. The staf hide away in their office. Place stinks of bleech. Lockers in rooms are only large enough for valubles and luggage goes under the bed. Great location is the only upside. If you are going in a group of friends would recommend as its close to subway to go out. Soli travellers should check out the HI new york instead

This Hostel's location is very nice, Blue Line and Red Line is close from Hostel. 3rd Floor is difficult to connect WIFI and to climb. Hostel is clean and all staff is kindness.

• 31st Dec 2014
  • South Korea

The perfect place if you like cockroaches, towels unbelievably well worn, blankets with holes, too thin to warm you up. Don't even think about the heater, they decide when it opens and when it closes. When they open it, in your room may not work. The wifi only works in one small area. Common areas are only open from 7am to 11pm, I asked, and not even in new year eve they let me watch the ball drop on TV. Plus someone stole my food from the fridge. The security guy's answer, "I don't know"

• 27th Dec 2014
  • Spain

We are sorry you were disappointed with our hostel. The heating system is automatic and works according with the current temperature. A professional exterminator comes once a month, so problems with bugs are rare. We could have moved you to a different room had we been notified about it. The fridge is of common use, we are not responsible for your food, which should be labeled. Also all information about our facilities / hours are stated on the website for your knowledge before you book.

Perfect location to explore Manhattan with Chelsea market and High line close by (a big plus).

• 26th Dec 2014
  • China

It was a great location for us since we were taking a tour starting at Chelsea Pier. Beds were firm but comfortable. They didn't supply soap, so bring your own. Located a short walk away from a Rite Aid. Breakfast is just a bagel and a piece of fruit.

• 20th Dec 2014

Stayed in a single room, it was just above the common room which gave me wifi in the room which was great! I like the fact that breakfast was included. Very clean! (except for the towel, which had a few stains...) A great price for a great location, definitely value for money!

• 13th Dec 2014
  • Sweden

Вed bugs!!! It's disgusting! Taking into account previous reviews, where guests also wrote about bugs - it's irresponsible that management of this hostel doesn't doing anything to improve the situation. Definitely would not recommend Chelsea hostel to stay.

We have not had problems with bed bugs in many years. We had a professional revise your room top to bottom and nothing was found. We pay special attention to cleanliness and the entire property is exterminated once a month by a professional exterminator.

Won't ask for a lot more, but somewhere to hang my long winter coat would have been nice... along with wifi available in the rooms. Hehe. Thanks! :)

• 11th Dec 2014
  • Singapore

The WiFi was very bud, specially in the 3rd floor, there was no signal.

There Double bed was too small and blanket felt not so clean enough. Othes were good.

• 5th Dec 2014
  • Thailand

location is good, but the place is cheap. stayed in a single, which had a bed and nothing else in it. wifi only in one room, breakfast an apple and one bagel....for the price no value