Chelsea International Hostel Reviews

251 West 20th Street, New York, USA

Friendly atmosphere. Nothing sophisticated but clean.

• 3rd Apr 2015

Yes, I know it's cheap but this place could have made a difference with a bit more care here and there. Literally not a single shelf in the shower room. So you can only leave your stuff on the floor. No soap or shampoo provided (for 25 cents they could provide). Breakfast was garbage. Literally a bagel, an apple, and some mediocre hot drinks.

Fun friendly convenient

Hostel staff was not the most friendly, especially daytime. The athmosphere was also soso, more like a dormitoy than like an hostel. Breakfast was just ok. Wifi wasn't working everywhere. My room was so small that there was not even enaugh space to fully open the door. There were just 2 electric plugs for 44 ppl, and they were all located far from the beds, No small lights were near the beds, Luggage storage was available, but not for free (!!!). Prices were not that low.

They need more plugs in the rooms.

Considering the hotel prices in Manhattan, this hostel is a good option for smaller budgets. The room was of course only basic but it was enough to sleep. Officially the windows must not be opened but the room is too warm and sometimes the heating element was switched on which I could not switch off. For the breakfast you get one bagel, one package of butter and jelly and one fruit. Coffee, milk, some kind of orange juice and cornflakes as much as you like.

• 31st Mar 2015

It is a very noisy place, the noisiest hostel we ever visited. There is a police station right in front and you can here sirenes all the time. There are three stages no lifts and the stairs are too narrow and made of noisy wood. Internet is only available in the common space in the main building.

• 30th Mar 2015
  • Colombia

Clean, good location, pleasant and helpful staff. WIFi slow and only works in common area.

Great location, but super noisy. You can hear everything from the bedroom. Impossible to get a good night's sleep.

• 28th Mar 2015

Good: location and value for money. Bad: staffs are not friendly at all! You have to avoid asking them for information because they won't be glad to help you. Also, the wifi wasn't good, it kept losing connection all the time.

• 27th Mar 2015

Good place, value for money. Close to Chelsea market. Convenient location

Not a bad hostel; a bit shabby, but to be expected with how much I was (or wasn't) paying. Morning breakfast is a bagel and fruit, which isn't bad until you eat it for six days in a row. Rooms were small and not air-conditioned, but the neighborhood felt safe and overall, it was a good place to crash at the end of the day.

• 22nd Mar 2015

A guy who is a staff of this hostel so rude. I asked him to see the shower in my restroom but he started to yell me and said that he was too busy. It's so bad for me. He is not service mind.

I only stayed a night so all I needed was a bed. I had a private room: it was clean, the bed was comfortable and the room even had a sink. The bathroom on that floor was clean as well. The only thing which bothered me a little: the room Temperature was very high and there was no way to turn the heat down or open a window... Regarding noises: it's New York the city that never sleep, of course you hear people talking, cars or sirens ;)

• 21st Mar 2015

Pretty standard hostel, nothing extraordinary. Good location.

I had a great experience staying here! I loved my room. It was very clean, the sheets were obviously very clean. The floors and bathroom were cleaned almost daily. The courtyard provided great natural lighting in the room, and great areas to socialize and relax, while not on the actual street. Our bathroom was clean and functioned well. I had a hot shower every day! There were two sinks, which allowed everyone to get ready almost at the same time. The lack of wifi was the only downside!

• 17th Mar 2015
  • China

Staff poeple are not really nice, kind of cold and indifferent. Having Wifi only accessible in the common room of another house is a pain. The shower/toilet were not super clean. Super noisy hostel => horrible night sleep. Nothing to prevent light from the street to come into you room at night. Only good thing : free pizza once in a while.

• 15th Mar 2015

Very good location, only 4 subway stops from Times Square. Rooms and toilets were very clean. Wifi not available on rooms. Breakfast was basic but tasty. Common areas are very small.

I couldn't sleep well at this hostel because of air conditioner. It keeps my room too warm during night and I talked to front desk but they said like there is no way to control the temperature setting. So I opened the window of my room but I heard so much noise from outside such as car, pedestrians' chat. Moreover, the air conditioner also makes big noise from inside of it. It sounded like someone hits iron with hummer. So I couldn't sleep and that's why it was totally uncomfortable for me.

• 12th Mar 2015
  • Japan

Location has all you need if u only stay there to sleep: a bed, a toilet, a shower and a basic breakfast. If u don't expect anything else, then it's a good place to stay. Only 5 min walk from the subway. WiFi is very good.

• 12th Mar 2015