Chelsea International Hostel Reviews

251 West 20th Street, New York, USA

We really enjoyed our stay at the Chelsea International Hostel. The rooms were clean, the courtyard was a great place to spend time, and the staff were friendly and helpful. Best of all, the location is superb -- an easy walk to almost everything! Would definitely come back!

• 27th Jun 2014

I would not stay here again. It felt like a weird camp with an odd smell and odd vibe. I didn't feel comfortable here and was glad I was only there for one night. The bathroom was probably my least favourite feature. Unimpressed.

Staff were the rudest that I have ever stayed with. You are basically only paying for location.

• 24th Jun 2014

Breakfast was good and the inner courtyard nice. Shower was cold every time I went there!

Simple, efficient , good location and friendly. All that takes to make it a good place.

Great location, clean rooms, good value for money overall.

• 19th Jun 2014

I would definitely stay again....clean, very helpful staff, close to subway.....

Just a small locker but no closets in the room, tiny room

Shower of the 245-2nd floor has a problem that the water doesn´t go...so when you go to take a shower, there is water on the ground from the last one who used it. I didn´t memorize the name of the guy, but there´s a guy in the staff that seems he hates people and he hates his job. He really doesn´t know how to deal with a client. If you work in a reception of a Hostel...you´re going to repeat a thousands times how a client will go to the airport. So, be cool and smile or find other job.

no hooks or hangers to hang stuff in bedroom or bathroom. The room was so tiny we could hardly move. Felt more like a military barrack with military blankets. We just slept and took shower, spending the rest of the day around NOT to be in the room. Windows do not open, it gets musty and hot pretty fast if you don't like A/C. No natural fresh air circulation. UGH!

• 16th Jun 2014

Stayed in a single room. You needed two keys to get into your room (one for the outside door, and one for the room itself), so that seems quite safe. Having been slightly disorientated after a sleepless night, I found out that the key in the B-section fits on the door of the same room number in the A-section. Fortunately, there's a locker inside the room, but I'd like to see some changes in this key-system. Floors are not even, that's kinda weird, feels like you're walking around being drunk

• 16th Jun 2014

Bedroom was full of insects, flying ants in the bed

• 16th Jun 2014

After reading mixed reviews I didn't know what to expect, but for a hostel it was great. Perfect location! Room was clean - booked a single room - was at the front of the hostel, so a little noisy at night (sirens, road works and early morning garage truck), not sure if would be much different at the back. Shared bathroom and shower which were fine. No lifts so was hard work with suitcase. Breakfast was basic but free (bagel, cereal, fruit) & free pizza on Wednesdays! Would recommend & return!

• 16th Jun 2014

Great location and spacious room. Shared bathroom and toilet were a squeeze. Common areas close early and not inviting for people to hang out or cook. Staff were ok but many didn't speak any English. Breakfast was served late (not great if you are an early bird who wants to start to explore early) and quite mediocre.

Cock roaches! I stayed 3 nights. After checking in and going out I returned late to find several in my room. Complained the next day and got the room sprayed but to little effect. Ended up using the spray myself each night before bed. Didn't mix with other guests or try the food so can't comment on that. Staff were pleasant, location good, rooms noisy with all the doors slamming. All I was looking for was a place to crash each night- I don't feel it delivered on this, given the roaches.

Good sized single room (Especially for New York). There's a large outside seating area and a TV room. The kitchen is pretty sparse. And the refrigerator was out of order when I was there. Not much tourist info is given out (the hostels in NYC that I usually stay at give out maps and organize daily tours. There was none of that here).

Average basic hostel that lacks some of the amenities that you get used to (eg individual reading lights and plug ins, swipe cards, tea) and some that are basic hygiene (eg: hand soap). Does have wi-fi, it works outside, and in some of the common rooms (not all of them). I got it in my bedroom, but I am right next to the outside area. The locks did not seem that secure. I had a roommate that thought they locked automatically, but they did not. Good location, nice not to sleep in a bunk bed.

So central which is so good for the price and includes breakfast. Wish the courtyard didn't close so early.

Had a great time during my stay. I felt that I got exactly what was advertised and what o paid for. Net a lot of other cool guests.

• 12th Jun 2014

Loved the location of this hostel. But you are paying for it. The highline is close by and lots of great restaurants and bars in meatpacking district. Staff are helpful and the rooms are clean and reasonable. One of the better Hostels I have stayed in, and I have booked another stay!