Chelsea International Hostel Reviews

251 West 20th Street, New York, USA

I found your hostel very bleak . The room was dull with nothing to show for the money paid and the kitchen was very awkward not alot of space to sit comfortable and food choices were very limited. And the communnal area was very depressing found it very depressing during my stay not a very happy stay at all.You should have more things to do while staying there for the guests.And the staff should go more out and be more friendly The staff seemed very reserved when asking for directions,questions

• 21st Dec 2013

Excellent price. Simple rooms, with HOT temperatures inside the room (i went in cold december). Good showers with hot water. The breakfast is simple but ok, with bagels, fruits, milk, cereals, juice and coffee. The hostel has big lockers near the reception to leave luggage if you have to check in or check out and don't have where to put it. Excellent location, near subways that goes to every part of the city.

Smelly rooms. Building not suitable for managing people with big pieces of luggage. Many applianaces broken, especially in bathrooms. Checked in around midnight. Night staff was extremely un-welcoming and hardly spoke.

• 21st Dec 2013

Everything was okay. The room was clean but new paint or a little bit of decoration sure would help it feels a bit less used. The free breakfast was convenient even if it was simple. Maybe it's the way the hostel is spread (little separated apartments), but even if it was full there was not a lot of a fun and social atmosphere. I loved the location (we walked to most of the place we visited and the neighborhood felt really safe)

Perfect no frills location with friendly staff. I've stayed here a number of times & this is a great location for all the restaurants & sites that I visit each time I'm in NYC. Brekkie is a bagel, a piece of fruit & cereal & this is included...enough to get me through the morning. Thanks for a great stay as usual;0)

I would prefer it to have elevators

Rooms, toilets everything is too cramped. But it is clean and centrally located

I spent two days in Chelsea International, my room is on the street, and in the night around 2-3 pm, it is really noisy, I only slept 3-4 hours every nights, but it is really the cheapest one I found, so I can't complain too much about it .

• 18th Dec 2013
  • China

everything looks and is really old, bed, shower, mattress! breakfast only from 8-10am even on the weekend, and only one bagel with jelly and a fruit! heat makes loud noises!

They add taxes in the hotel you should mention that or includ it please

• 15th Dec 2013

It says on the site. Just read through the description and conditions.

Definitely not a party hostel, just a place to sleep. The main reason I stay in hostels instead of hotels when I travel is for the social aspect. It was impossible to meet anyone when they shutdown all the common areas at 10pm. Facilities were great, and the only interaction I had with the staff was when checked in/out.

it was awful... I couldnt sleep during the last two days because of very weird annoying noises, from heating tubes, or how they are called. also heating didnt work o the last day.

• 12th Dec 2013
  • Vietnam

I was in the hostel in December for only a couple of days so it work for me, it is really close to the subway and the area is safe. But the room was tinny and the room was not cleaned (not that was needed) during the stay. The only disadvantage was that it was separte buildings and you need to claim a lot of stair.. if you have big laggage as we did..jsut ask the front desk and someone will help you..otherwise it's very dificult to manage big bags.

they don´t have the best atmosphere, the staff was even rude sometimes. but, it´s super clean, the breakfast is good, and its very close to the subway station.

This hostel is a great base in New York as it is only a 20 minute walk to Times Square and a couple of blocks away from the high line and subway. The free wifi at the hostel was handy as well as the free breakfast in the morning. The rooms were basic, but served their purpose. A locker service is handy if you turn up before check in at 3 or if you have a late night flight. It costs around $5 for 24 hour rental, the lockers in the room are free, but you need your own padlock. Good hostel in NY.

Great location, great price. Close to main sights but still within a quiet area of New York so you can get out of the rat race when you've had enough. Place was clean. WIFI worked well. Great place to stay.

I personally think they charge too much for what they offer, but the thing is, you cannot find good prices in New York. So, if you are looking for affordable accommodation and just that (a place to sleep only) this is definitely a choice.

• 30th Nov 2013
  • Israel

Is the 2nd time I stay there!!!!

• 30th Nov 2013
  • Mexico

The old American guy .. I am sooo bad with remembering names, but there was an old american guy 57 of age he told me the story of how he had cancer .. i ADORED HIM .. HE was coo land nice and helped me alot .. I feel sad not remembering his name but if i had the chance i would come back to chelsea and stay there just to see him and benifit from his great services .. Thanks and good luck for the whole team

• 28th Nov 2013

Nice location, Room was warm in the coldest weather, on the flip side internet only available in common room which shut at 11 pm, staff were a bit rude at times, not very helpful.

• 28th Nov 2013