Chelsea International Hostel Reviews

251 West 20th Street, New York, USA

- WiFi only in common area/breakfast room - paid lockers - in all hostel I've been to in States and Europe luggage storage is free for customers - having such business you need to trust people a little bit - remote control on chain and coupons for beeakfast are bizzare, I really felt unwelcome - no elevator (and no info about this before) - facilities are in different buldings, you need to move from one to another, really not nice on cold or rainy day

Definitely a great location and price, especially for private rooms. Only 3 blocks from the subway and shops close by. The room was clean with bed, lockers, shelves, hooks, sink, towel and a blanket, but the communal bathroom wasn't as clean, definitely bring some flip flops. And they don't have soap anywhere! Bring some to wash your hands. Breakfast in communal area was a bagel, piece of fruit, cereal, coffee, milk, OJ. Not bad but only between 8-10. I'm definitely coming back.

• 1st Oct 2015

The location is the best thing about the hostel, which is fairly basic and has limited facilities when compared to others I've stayed in. The staff are nice to deal with - unlike your average New Yorker - but I found the set up didn't encourage much interaction between guests.

it´d be better if you can chec-in a bit earlier

The wifi only works in the common room which is not so big for everyone trying to call home or things like that. Breakfast is ok, but veeeeeeery basic, really. The dorms are ok, but please consider that there are only 2 plugs in it and no bed light.

Chelsea Internation hostel was an awesome central place to stay. I was incredibly pleased with my single room. Having the shared toilet and bathroom within almost one foot of my door was fantastic. I was in G3. The office staff were really helpful and genuine. There was just one man on the desk when I arrived to check in on 30th at 9pm who was very abrupt and succinct when I asked him a few general questions. However the next morning the new staff more than made up for everything.

the lockers in the basement were a pain to use , no bath mat and needs hangers in the bathroom for clothes and towels

• 30th Sep 2015

We had a good stay, nice clean room with good beds. Staff was very helpful and nice, breakfast was simpel but ok.

• 29th Sep 2015

It was a nice place to stay in NY. Good location. BUT the WiFi is definitely poor. You have access only in the community zone.

I was pleasantly surprised by the cleanliness of the place- I was aware the building and instalations may be older, but having them be so clean makes this hostel a good value/money choice. Good location, easy accessible and helpful staff.

Great location, friendly staff. Shared toilets can get slightly dirty but this is to be expected. Some of the rooms are up two flights of awkward stairs. Breakfast good, staff were polite and helpful.

I love this place. I booked a bed in a two person dorm and ended up being the only person for my whole stay, so I basically got a hotel room in chelsea for under 60 bucks. The only downside is one kid who works the night shift is completely useless and rude. Anything anyone needed he just sneered over and we figured out that if we wait until he's off shift we'd get correct answers from people who were awesome to deal with. Still the best place in town.

• 28th Sep 2015

Good location with this price and not bad circumstances.

• 27th Sep 2015
  • China

Excellent location. That is all that good I can say about this hostel. All other (staff, facilities, price, facilities, etc.) could be better.

My husband and I had to catch a very early flight and, therefore, had to drop off our keys and get our towel deposit back from the front desk at about 5 a.m. I saw the feet of the guy at the front desk up on a table, like he was sitting, but couldn't see his full body. I had to pound has hard as I could on the glass for about 5 to 7 minutes (he was about 3 feet away from me) to get him to wake up. He finally did and acted stoned, drunk, or both the whole time he was helping me. It was obnoxious.

• 26th Sep 2015

Needs some serious updating but fine for what it is. Location location location!

• 26th Sep 2015

Very nice place!! Thx:)

• 25th Sep 2015
  • South Korea

The hostel was bare minimum, but you can't beat the location so that's what you're paying for (and it's still one of the most affordable places around anyways). The staff was pleasant and everything was clean. Thank you for that! If I end up in NYC again, this is where I'll be!

European guests there when I was there very rude - no respect for others, came in after midnight and continued to socialize loudly into the night. You need to post some sort of signage about respecting other guests.

• 25th Sep 2015

My sister and I were happy to find reasonably priced accommodations in the city. The staff was friendly and offered good advice for places to eat in the area. The building and room was clean. No bugs. The common areas were also clean. We both felt we got our money's worth and never felt unsafe. The only critique is that our bathroom floor slanted the wrong way from the drain so the water from our shower couldn't drain properly.