Chelsea International Hostel Reviews

251 West 20th Street, New York, USA

Great location. Bang in the middle inbetween downtown and uptown. Really quiet too and subway station a stones throw away. The staff know what they are talking about and are very helpful. My only complaint was the wifi. It works in none of the dormrooms at all, or the commonroom/tv room. It only works in kitchen/dining room, another router would not cost a lot and in the modern world we live in things like wifi are necessary.

Room gor one person i got was okay, clean, but radiator was too hot and too noisy, lockers inroom doesnt seem too workand if there wss an air condition I couldnt find it. Breakfast was okax, one bagel, fruit, anf ceareals as much you want. And wedensday there is free pizza. Location is central

We just wanted a place to sleep and take a shower; Chelsea Hostel did not disappoint. Location is beyond fantastic, we did most of our things around the city on foot, but there's a subway station a few blocks from the hostel. Wi-Fi connection was not so great in some areas, but in our bedroom it was actually pretty good. Bedroom and bathroom looked clean. My only issue was the noise starting really early in the morning coming not from the guests, but from the staff of the Hostel! So annoying.

Terrible bed with uneven springs and padding that no longer work. Very flat pillows. Otherwise, the toilet, toilet paper, showers, hot water, basins, cleanliness are quite good. Wifi is only in common area, so it's pretty useless.

Too noisy, cars passing over manhole cover makes noise. Also radioator (or something else which i could not discover) makes noise in every 5 minutes which is the second factor did not let me sleep all night. No wifi at rooms. This is a disaster in year 2015. Poor breakfast. Rooms are warm, free towel is a plus

• 31st Jan 2015
  • Turkey

i totally loved staying at CIH, the front desk staff is extremely helpful. I would like to thank them for helping me finding my stuff that I forgot after I checked out the hostel and left New York City. It was secured with them until I got it picked by the mailman.

• 30th Jan 2015

Fantastic location - Chelsea is wonderful, walking distance to Greenwich Village, Chelsea Market close, subway close. The rooms were basic but were warm and clean. The hostel has an annoying setup (sink in room, shower separate, toilet separate (no sink in there)? But it was fine. Staff pretty helpful overall. Safe. Good value for NYC. Would definitely stay again.

Superb location, great value for money. Booked a 2-bed female room, was upgraded to a single room for a total of under 40 dollars - impossible to beat. The facilities are cramped, as can be expected in a central NYC location. Wifi is only available in the common area, not in bedrooms. The atmosphere is nothing special, but if you are looking for a centrally located, clean, quiet room to go home to after a busy day in the city, this is the place to go.

When i arrived this place at 1a.m., the staff,david, was very kind and fun. You can eat breakfast between 8a.m. and 10a.m. Although you can only use wifi in common area, i don't care about it. Also, shower room is not bad. I think this hostel was good overally. If you stay short time in NY, I will recommend this place.

I stayed for 3 days just for business and for the Price i would stayed again

Overall clean, but amenities and rooms are old and shabby. No hand soap, paper towels or mirrors in bathrooms. Included breakfast is good. Bagel, fruit, butter and jam with unlimited milk and cereal. Kitchen lacks many utensils. Wi-Fi is ONLY in common rooms. Charge for storing luggage. Pricey, but by NYC standards it would be considered cheap. Given the range of hostels in NYC, I would probably try my luck somewhere else next time.

Cheap stay in NYC if you're planning to see the city and not to stay at your hotelroom. We were kind of trapped during a blizzard, so we didn't have much to do in our hostelroom. There is no wifi at the hostelroom only at the breakfastroom. There was only offered blankets, no duvets, so it was a bit cold at night in wintertime. The breakfast is okay. You get a bagel with butter and jam/jelly, a piece of fruit, cereal, lemonade and coffee.

• 21st Jan 2015
  • Denmark

The staff are essentially helpful and responsive, but I am not very happy about the frequency of changing our bed sheets, cleaning the shared bathroom and emptying the rubbish basket in our room. I wish the cleaning would have done for us every day.

• 21st Jan 2015

The location is great, it's close to the subway station and the neighbourhood is safe. The staff is nice and the facilities are ok. I stayed in a 2 pers. dorm, that was nice. There are lockers, but you have to bring your own lock (like the most hostels). It's great that they include breakfast (1 bagel, 1 apple, cornflakes and tea/coffee/juice). This is a good place to stay if you're in New York!

Thanks for everything. I was lucky enough to be there on a Wednesday for the free pizza night! I am sure that every day there is something going on for the guests.

• 20th Jan 2015

Location was really central. It was pretty dated, but however very clean and staff was friendly and helpful. It says there is WIFI, but note that it is only in common area, not in the actual room! Do not chose this hostel if you are a light sleeper, it is extremely noizy!!

Good access to subway and airport WIFI should be made hostel wide as the common area gets to packed in winter as u just can't sit outside Now my biggest problem is noise ! There is no carpet at all in the hostel and the walls are paper thin and the outside door slams and every time I jumped out of my skin ! And every stomp up the stairs is herd every conversation u can contribute to. The cleaners come at around 8 every morning and bang there mop around hitting every possible surface

• 19th Jan 2015
  • New Zealand

there is no internet after 10pm and nowhere to sit. if you stay in dorm its a really big problem. and night staff is usually very rude. there were different people at the front desk in different nights and they all found a reason to snap at me it wasnt an argument they just seemed really bothered when someone asked questions at night and if you ask anything about hostel they yell at you for not knowing. people at the front desk in daytime are nice. so expensive and its only beds no real lounge

• 19th Jan 2015
  • Turkey

This hostel is perfect if you aren't planning on spending much time inside, or mingling with people. Granted, we came in January 2015 so it was cold and probably a slow time. The room was small, and to access the common areas you had to go outside. Breakfast was an apple and a bagel with one pad of butter. But for the $ and LOCATION, this place was EXCELLENT. 15 minutes to everywhere we wanted to go. Easy access to subways, and plenty of shops/food around the hostel. Old building but clean.

• 15th Jan 2015

Nice staff but facilities were a bit lacking. The room was pretty bare bones and the breakfast was a plane bagel with an apple. However the location was great and the rooms were clean. Also there was no internet in the rooms. There was a nice courtyard that would be great in the summer but we were there in winter.

• 14th Jan 2015