Chelsea International Hostel Reviews

251 West 20th Street, New York, USA

Pleasant staff in a nice area. Bagel and fruit for breakfast. Will certainly stay again.

• 9th Apr 2014
  • Scotland

Tiny rooms and not particularly cozy, but a good option if you don't want to bankrupt yourself while staying in central Manhattan. If you're staying more than a few nights, an ensuite bathroom is recommended.

Greately appreciate the co-operation of the hostel staff. Eveready to help. Good breakfast. Good facilities. Great location. Only the rooms are small. Overall a very popular site for stay at a central place with good food joints and markets around it.

• 8th Apr 2014
  • India

I stayed in early April 2014 and they were doing construction on the street. The noise was unbearable in the mornings. I suggest avoiding the hostel if the construction is still happening. Otherwise, I like this place and it's location. It's a barebones room. But hey, u get what u pay for. I had a private room which included a sink and closet space. I would definitely stay again because of the cost. If ur willing to spend just a bit more, try the west side ymca.

Not really sure what was going on with the WiFi rules - it couldn't be used in rooms, only the common areas. And those areas close at 11pm, which is inconvenient and kind of defeats the purpose of WiFi. Apart from that, the room was really clean and spacious, the staff were friendly and location was excellent!

I liked the breakfast offer, the bedrooms were very good, very clean, but the only problem were the shower, a fill drops of water when put it in hot mode.

Lots of stairs! The street outside of the room was rather noisy. I found long, dark hairs on my blanket and in the shower and I'm a blonde so I know it wasn't from me. The neighborhood is cute and a little more mellow than other parts of the city where we stayed. I would look elswhere before deciding to stay here again.

This is a really great hostel in a awesome location. Close to everything, but not in the middle of the crowded, expensive tourist area. Will stay again! Only thing that was a bit odd was that there was no hand soap in our bathroom. No biggie though!

• 4th Apr 2014

Lockers are very poor , there isn't enough place to put something and looks dirty.

• 4th Apr 2014
  • Turkey

Hi, I stayed at the hostel by 8 nights, they didn't change my towel during the whole stay... they should change it every day. The shower at the first floor didn't work well. They don't have WiFi everywhere, just at the common area.

Loved that it was bang in the heart of Chelsea with great proximity to everywhere in the city! Staff was helpful, especially Luciano! I will be back in NY in 3 weeks and this is where I'm staying again.

• 3rd Apr 2014

Clean and great location

• 3rd Apr 2014
  • Dhapsoro
  • Indonesia

Great location, police office is a cross the street so there is a constant presence of officers(not that it feels un safe) I stayed in a two bed room, solid bed, good heating, clean rooms, showers scrubbed every day. Lockers in room but you need your own lock(rite aid across the road sells combo locks) The only bummer is that the vibe is dead, not exactly a party place if you're looking for one. On the other side it's perfect if your in NYC to check the place out and relax.

This was my first hostel experience, so nothing to compare to. You may do some prelim research on staying at hostels before booking. With that said, I enjoyed my stay. I had a Private 1 bed suite. Sure the bed could have been more comfortable, the thermal control at my fingertips, and even have an ironing board to borrow to go along with the iron, but for a place to crash in NYC, I could not have asked for a better base. Huge bonus: Cafe Grumpy on your street, great for serious coffee.

• 1st Apr 2014

Room was like a prison cell, turned the bin upside down to make a bedside table. Floor of the room was not flat, locker leaning on an angle reluctant to put anything into it in case it fell over. Staff were friendly but the cleaning started early in the morning about 8. Draconian breakfast rules & serving. Kitchen and common room shut between 11pm & 7am - not able to eat /drink/use internet - HOPELESS! WILL NOT RECOMMEND TO ANYONE I KNOW

The 4 bed female room was spacious and clean with big enough lockers, which is good. We had a bathroom ensuite and a separate sink in the room, which is perfect cause you can wash hands or brush teeth until someone is taking a shower. Breakfast included, not so special, but good enough for backpackers. The front desk and the common rooms are too much separated so you don't really have any connections with the staff or fellow travelers, the only thing I didn't like.

Included breakfast was nice, rooms were spacey. Maybe could include maps to stations. Locker didn't include lock which was more annoying than anything. On second inspection this was put in the room details, but they could make it a bit more obvious, or better still provide locks.

Big rooms and no bunk beds was a plus. Chelsea is a great area too and only a block from the red line. Breakfast was a little strict and there's no wifi in the rooms which was annoying

Kitchen did not have much utensils. Only plastic knives etc. Hard to really do any cooking there.

• 21st Mar 2014

Generally a really good hostel - fantastic location, secure, decent facilities and a good price.