Chelsea International Hostel Reviews

251 West 20th Street, New York, USA

Bedroom was full of insects, flying ants in the bed

• 16th Jun 2014

After reading mixed reviews I didn't know what to expect, but for a hostel it was great. Perfect location! Room was clean - booked a single room - was at the front of the hostel, so a little noisy at night (sirens, road works and early morning garage truck), not sure if would be much different at the back. Shared bathroom and shower which were fine. No lifts so was hard work with suitcase. Breakfast was basic but free (bagel, cereal, fruit) & free pizza on Wednesdays! Would recommend & return!

• 16th Jun 2014

Great location and spacious room. Shared bathroom and toilet were a squeeze. Common areas close early and not inviting for people to hang out or cook. Staff were ok but many didn't speak any English. Breakfast was served late (not great if you are an early bird who wants to start to explore early) and quite mediocre.

Cock roaches! I stayed 3 nights. After checking in and going out I returned late to find several in my room. Complained the next day and got the room sprayed but to little effect. Ended up using the spray myself each night before bed. Didn't mix with other guests or try the food so can't comment on that. Staff were pleasant, location good, rooms noisy with all the doors slamming. All I was looking for was a place to crash each night- I don't feel it delivered on this, given the roaches.

Good sized single room (Especially for New York). There's a large outside seating area and a TV room. The kitchen is pretty sparse. And the refrigerator was out of order when I was there. Not much tourist info is given out (the hostels in NYC that I usually stay at give out maps and organize daily tours. There was none of that here).

Average basic hostel that lacks some of the amenities that you get used to (eg individual reading lights and plug ins, swipe cards, tea) and some that are basic hygiene (eg: hand soap). Does have wi-fi, it works outside, and in some of the common rooms (not all of them). I got it in my bedroom, but I am right next to the outside area. The locks did not seem that secure. I had a roommate that thought they locked automatically, but they did not. Good location, nice not to sleep in a bunk bed.

So central which is so good for the price and includes breakfast. Wish the courtyard didn't close so early.

Had a great time during my stay. I felt that I got exactly what was advertised and what o paid for. Net a lot of other cool guests.

• 12th Jun 2014

Loved the location of this hostel. But you are paying for it. The highline is close by and lots of great restaurants and bars in meatpacking district. Staff are helpful and the rooms are clean and reasonable. One of the better Hostels I have stayed in, and I have booked another stay!

NYC is so expensive that this is good budget option although very basic. Nothing exciting but that's fine since hopefully you're not hanging around the hostel while you're there!

NO HOT WATER! WHY?! Not worth the expensive price. Thankfully I was only there one night!

• 10th Jun 2014

A nice place.

• 9th Jun 2014

The large common area is outside, so if rainy you should go inside common areas to have wifi.

Good common areas that allowed socialising with other guests. It would be good if the wii reached the bedrooms, currently it it just in the common areas. But good activities on at nights and a good location in Chelsea!

• 9th Jun 2014
  • New Zealand

it was great value for money

• 6th Jun 2014

The location of the hostel is good compared to the pricing. 4 people stay at the same room. Therefore, i think the cleaning should be more frequently. The breakfast is one of the most basic i've ever had. Good for people who come to NY for vacation and sightseeing. If you use the room only for taking a shower and sleeping, this place is very suitable as it is cheap and located close to metro stations where you can reach Times square in 25 minutes including the time for walking to the station.

I love this hostel - I stay here every time I'm in NYC and the staff is always fantastic!

The rooms were not at all like what the pictures showed. The comforter on the bed was dirty. This was by the one of the dingiest hostels I have ever stayed in. The breakfast is only ONE serving of fruit and a bagel, as well as corn flakes. They offer apples OR oranges and are very adamant that you only choose one. As someone suffering with celiac I found them to be quite rude and unsympathetic to the fact that I could not eat the bagel or the cereal.

• 5th Jun 2014

The free breakfast and free pizza on wednesday were nice additions! Staff are extremely friendly and helpful. common area is good to chat to people. Location is ideal. Only down side is the price.

• 2nd Jun 2014

The staff were not very helpful at all, in fact they were rather rude. I asked them upon arrival about booking an airport shuttle bus for me for the next afternoon. I was told to leave it til the next day when I was leaving and organise it then. The next day when I asked about a shuttle the guy behind the desk said no he wasn't getting one for me because I didn't let him know I was leaving. he then told me I had to walk the 20 blocks to the bus terminal or go catch a taxi.

• 2nd Jun 2014