Chelsea International Hostel Reviews

251 West 20th Street, New York, USA

The common room is an asset, as is the WiFi, but it doesn't work well near the front side of the house.

A bit noisy if your room faces the street as ours did. Ear plugs would be useful.

• 26th Nov 2013
  • New Zealand

Hot water was not always available in the shower. 1 toilet and shower in each floor. Breakfast could be more varied. No tv in common areas. Wifi only available in common areas. Hostel 2 blocks from subway station.

I had a really good time in the hostel! The location is excellent really close to subway! I stayed in three different rooms and all of them were good! I just had a problem with shower one night but it was fixed early in the morning in the other day! I highly recommend this place to stay in NY!

Great Hostel been staying there for the last 10 years

Hostel is dirty, noisy with extremely unhelpful desk staff. Keys do not fit easily and there is NO bolt or chain on door. Since the key is given out to all, anyone who stayed there before can enter the room. Common room full of drunk australians with no control from desk. Breakfast voucher (which was not given to me at check in-only found out about them from another traveller) only good 8-10 and cannot be used on a different day so if you go out early you don't get it although you paid for it.

• 20th Nov 2013

I've stayed here about 4 times now and each time it gets better and better. Very clean and well maintained, friendly helpful staff and a perfect location. Basic amenities for a great price, highly recommend for single travellers! Thanks for having me once more and look forward to next time!

A hostel with a brilliant location and not much else going for it. A trip back to the "bad old days" of hosteling, where the room felt like a prison cell: the bed was rusted and old, the power sockets cracked and worn out, the heating in the place was so high that I was sweating in bed. The windows were single-glazed, so bring ear-plugs. Showers (1 per floor!) just about worked. The 'breakfast' is at least free. In a world in which there are hostels that put hotels to shame, this is a dinosaur.

Loved the location - great off Broadway theaters, good pizza places, real neighborhood. Lived here at the Hotel Chelsea when I was going to 5th and 6th grade. Walk down memory lane. Except that hotel is being renovated and brought back to its glory!!! Neighborhood is friendly.

The dorm is excellent (good bed, super clean bathroom, cleaning service every day), but the heater is way to powerful and we have to open the windows the cool the room. The dining area is kind of depressing and the staff is rarely there... well, you just have to go to the front desk to see them and ask any questions you may have. I wish we could use the common areas after 11pm.

Good thing: so clean!!! awesome! Bad thing: does not have wifi in bedroom

• 12th Nov 2013

I can't remember his name, but the person on the afternoon / evening shift was lovely! Such a friendly & reassuring guy who helped out when I had a stressful arrival in New York. He made everything so much easier & I'm really grateful to him :)

• 12th Nov 2013

I stayed there 9 nights, i slept great, warm, with a radiator inside, it´s clean, not expensive, the shared bathroom was always clean, and the shower too. I met new people while i was having breakfast, i ate well. If i came back to NY again, i´ll stay there, eyes closed! if you are looking for a very good located place, this is it!

I'll stay there again, when I travel alnoe.

• 9th Nov 2013
  • Taiwan

The public bathrooms were always clean, the location is really good and near by the subway. The old mand that works on sundays is really, really REALLY rude. There are bedrooms ond the 3td floor and no elevator, which is bad for those who are carriyng lots of lugagge,

• 8th Nov 2013

The staff was very helpful. My room was clean. I would link to find a hook on the wall for the towels and the coat. Breakfast was perfectly adequate.

• 6th Nov 2013

We are very satisfied about our stay at Chelsea hostel, and will absolutly come back.Some things that will make it even better is; the option to recycle garbage and please minimise the use of paperplates and platstic cutleries..

• 4th Nov 2013
  • Sweden

Love this hostel! It was my second visit and I would go back in a heartbeat!

The location is good but could be closer to the subway, that can be compensated for the fact that is near from restaurants and stores. Really safe neighborhood.

While it was more than you'd pay for a hostel bed in many cities, it was great value for the location and for a 2-bed dorm. Compared to the price and location of other hostels in New York, I'd definitely stay here again.