Chelsea International Hostel Reviews

251 West 20th Street, New York, USA

My husband and I had to catch a very early flight and, therefore, had to drop off our keys and get our towel deposit back from the front desk at about 5 a.m. I saw the feet of the guy at the front desk up on a table, like he was sitting, but couldn't see his full body. I had to pound has hard as I could on the glass for about 5 to 7 minutes (he was about 3 feet away from me) to get him to wake up. He finally did and acted stoned, drunk, or both the whole time he was helping me. It was obnoxious.

• 26th Sep 2015

Needs some serious updating but fine for what it is. Location location location!

• 26th Sep 2015

Very nice place!! Thx:)

• 25th Sep 2015
  • South Korea

The hostel was bare minimum, but you can't beat the location so that's what you're paying for (and it's still one of the most affordable places around anyways). The staff was pleasant and everything was clean. Thank you for that! If I end up in NYC again, this is where I'll be!

European guests there when I was there very rude - no respect for others, came in after midnight and continued to socialize loudly into the night. You need to post some sort of signage about respecting other guests.

• 25th Sep 2015

My sister and I were happy to find reasonably priced accommodations in the city. The staff was friendly and offered good advice for places to eat in the area. The building and room was clean. No bugs. The common areas were also clean. We both felt we got our money's worth and never felt unsafe. The only critique is that our bathroom floor slanted the wrong way from the drain so the water from our shower couldn't drain properly.

+ Amazing location. It's close to everything and is very easy to get to. + Good to meet people if you're a solo traveller. - Rude staff. John was lovely, older man with grey hair and Latino groundsman were extremely rude. - Poor facilities. Had to stuff my backpack into my locker, toilets were cramped, showers were small. - Cramped and noisy rooms. If you stay here bring ear plugs. Recommended for the solo traveller on a budget. Nothing more.

• 24th Sep 2015

The hostel was cheap as compared to most places of similar level in NYC, and located in a convenient area. The subway is a few blocks a way and there's a 24-hr deli/supermarket down the street. The room is decently clean, but all furniture and facilities are minimal. The shower is like an unfurnished shoe box. The building is very old and has no elevator. Luggage storage is expensive. The front desk staff is inefficient-- would flirt with customers for over 10 minutes and ignore the line behind.

I had a private single with shared bathroom. No hot water for decent shower amd i dont understand toilet one room then hand basin in own. For security i had room locked each time so made inconvenient to go restroom before heading out. Staff didnt know location of room. Very clean though.

location is not too bad, not far from penn station, i had a single room on the court side. the street side may be moire noisy :/ 2 staffs helped me. one was very rude. the second one was very helpful.. so the staff sympathy depends on which one you get i assume.. maybe a bit expensive.. but I booked at the last minute and all other options were more expensive.. and it's New York, no choice.

I loved it :)

One older guy receptionist was very rude, same at the breakfast: one latin young girl, rude aswell. The price was too high for what the hostel itself is,you can book a 4 star hotel room for the same price. The noise was awful, slumming doors starting early morning, You can only use the wifi in the common area, which is the garden and the breakfast room(which closes every day at 11am). I would not recommend this hostel to anyone, unless you want to stay in Chelsea area( which was my case)

• 21st Sep 2015
  • Mexico

Although only a one night stay, it was totally and utterly delightful. It was my first time, but I'll keep coming back from now on when I go to NYC.

• 21st Sep 2015

The staff was very nice and helpful. The bathrooms could use a makeover but otherwise it was great! The breakfast was more than good for the price of the hotel, the sitting area inside was very small, but there was more space to sit outside which was fine, because the weather was still good.

breakfast was good. wifi only in the common area though, that got locked at 11pm

• 19th Sep 2015

It was about staff and there begun. Welcoming and che kin was terrible, main staff at the desk was awful with words like 'what's up bro' it isn't professional. I expected little more than that. Staff = zero points.

I found it very safe and clean. 2 things I did not like was that the bathroom had no sink and the shower room were a little small and no place to put your staff. The rooms were small and cosy and had a sink with lockers. The hostel has everything you need. The stuff were great and helpful except for the older man who worked there at night, he would not help me at all with their computer. Great location, bus stops less than 5 minutes away and there is a police station right across the street;

I had a very nice time there. The location of the hostel is perfect. All the faucets I used were broken (the one in the room and the one in the bathroom), but I think they'll repair them soon enough. Something more can be done with the breakfast,in my opinion. Bottom line: It is a very good place to stay in for a few days!

• Bulgaria

The service was absolutely terrible. The person at the front desk was really rude. It was like we were bothering him each time we asked something! and when we had a problem he did nothing to help us or try to find a compromise. I am so disappointed. I have tried a lot of hostels in New York, and this is the worst one I have been to so far. Last but not least, we stayed 5 days me and my friend, and they never even cleaned the room once! Don't go to this hostel

• 16th Sep 2015

I stayed for one night and had a really good experience. The staff was great and super helpful. The facilities are on par with what I expect from an American hostel. Location was Amazing. Definitely a great plce to stay.