Chelsea International Hostel Reviews

251 West 20th Street, New York, USA

The location was great and it was secure. The problem I had was the heat in the room was turned up so high that I couldn't do anything in there one evening except go to bed and try to stay cool. It was literally an oven. Also, the courtyard closed at 10pm according to the posted signs, but there was noise out there until 1am most nights. I get it, it's a hostel, but there are certain limits especially for a weeknight. Random stains on the sink and sheets too.

• 18th Mar 2014

Very well located, close to two subway stations and very clean. The wi-fi just works in the commom area but it was very cold when I was there, so that wasn't a good point of the hostel.

I had the feeling to stay in a Prison(special to get the Breakfast on the Window -counter).Maybe in the Summer is the Atmosphere more common, when you can stay outside in the courtyard. The staff does his job and not more.

My 2nd stay here. Great location, close to subways and everything there's to see and do, very clean, accomodating staff, and you can't beat the price - the cheapest place in NY! I will definitely be back!!!

A comfy bed, a hot shower (if you pick the right one and it's free) and a reasonable breakfast every morning. All very, very basic though. There were no social activities planned as advertised though. The guy on reception, Tommy, was very helpful to me when I asked advice and made very good suggestions of areas to see, bars to frequent, etc, on the other hand.

Excellent hostel (good, substantial breakfast included in the cost)

I stayed in single ensuite room. The room was small and looked like a prison cell, the bed was terribly narrow and there was no controls over the temperature. On the other hand, the hostel is located in very cosy and friendly neighborhood, WiFi was accessible and free of charge and in the end I was in my hotel room only for sleep. Since it is large hostel, it is great for meeting fellow travellers. And since it is large hostel, expect to hear all the sounds from the stairwell, i.e. drunk people.

They can put a little tables in the rooms. At midnight the hostel was very noisy because of the drunk guests.

• 11th Mar 2014
  • Turkey

The location is great, I couldn't find a place with separeted room and bathroom paying this price, in this area of the city. The breakfast is enough. Bad things: limited acess to the internet; all the floor is made by wood, so every step a person take all the guests listen.

• 10th Mar 2014

Our door would not open with the key and that was room a7 so it often took a lot of staff trying! It was a pain! I would stay there again it's great location nothing special but the location made up for it!

Penny pinching (not much for breakfast, must rent lockers to store bags after checkout) minimalist hostel with tiny rooms - but decent location, and nothing horribly wrong. Seriously, just minimalist

Pros: Clean hostel, good location close to the subway and attractions, breakfast included, cost is reasonable Cons: Whilst the hostel is clean and they constantly clean it, it could do with a renovation. The bedroom I was staying in had seen better days and could have used some work on it. Also, I cannot stress this enough - hostels should provide soap for use. Luckily i brought my own based on past experience. Overall, I'd say it is value for money if you are after somewhere cheap.

A very nice hostel in a perfect location. A walk away from Time square and the empire state building. Near the the bus station so very easy to find once you arrive in NYC. The subway and many little places to eat are near by which makes it easy to see new york and also to get feed your hunger.

• 6th Mar 2014

We had a nice private room, but it could have used a bedside lamp and table, and could have used some more heat. The breakfast area was very crowded, although in warmer weather there are tables outside. The lower Manhattan Chelsea location was minutes away from everything we wanted to do. If u r going to visit NYC, this is the hostel you should book!

The hostel has small cottages at the back. I stayed in one of these (a four bed dorm room) with strangers. It was nice to have a hostel room with an attached bathroom. However, the water was difficult to keep at a comfortable temperature (too hot!). I appreciated that the hostel had lockers, a stove, and a fridge. I was disappointed that the cooking area closes between 11pm and 7am. Whenever I left for yoga class before 7am, I was not able to get my pre-made breakfast out of the fridge.

• 2nd Mar 2014

I loved this place. I am a simple guy - no frills - and this place was ideal. Great location, simple accommodation, fair price. I'm hooked.

For the money paid and for the location this is a big deal. The staff is also very nice and helpful. Sure, it's not the most modern place on earth, our room was too much heated. The beakfast is ok. The common area is too small for all the people, and the kitchen is not really a kitchen, I haven't seen any knifes or forks, there is really not much kitchenware, so all one can do is use the microwawe or toaster.

The service at the Chelsea International Hostel was Impeccable. The office staff was welcoming and amicable. The facilities were clean, safe and comfortable. The breakfast and cleaning employees were especially polite and helpful. I will rate this hostel overall as an excellent accommodation in Chelsea for students, business entrepreneurs and educators.

• 25th Feb 2014
  • Trinidad And Tobago

Rooms, location and ficilities are good enough for the money you have to pay. Breakfast is very basic. Staff was friendly. Don't expect any more than a simple bed and a simple hostel without any artistic decoration. What you see is what you get. But good enough.

• 25th Feb 2014
  • Couple, 41+

All the staff were miserable. The receptionist was confronted by angry police officers about some illegal work done in the Hostal and he played stupid. There was a crazy old stupid lady that wanted to start arguments with me every time I went to the communal room and she went mad when her bottle of wine got stolen from the kitchen. Breakfast felt like being in prison with you giving a ticket to a person then them giving you food on a tray. not enough seating for everyone for breakfast.