Chelsea International Hostel Reviews

251 West 20th Street, New York, USA

Good location, good staff. Nice court yard for socializing. Rooms are pretty basic, so if your after a place to get your head down for a night or two while sightseeing, then its all good. The lockers are small, so there's only room for valuables/small items

Good location, very low key hostel. If your inner party animal needs to unleash look for something else. Can't complain about the price for the single dorm prince in NYC though

The night reception guy was very helpful. There was an older gentleman there during the day and he wasn't very friendly. The free breakfast was nice, and hostel is located in a pretty decent location. Very close to the subway. I think the price is a bit high but its NYC so what are you gonna do. All in all a decent place to sleep, but nothing special about it.

Decent hostel, ideal for a short visit

I am so glad it wasnt too hot in NYC when I visited since there was no AC in the room.

• 7th May 2014
  • Sweden

This hostel has a great location. It's close to the subway. The rooms are very plain and the common area is very small. The one thing I didn't like was that there was no sink by the toilet. If you wanted to wash your hands you had to go back to your room and use the sink there. The room was in need of some repairs especially the floors. Overall though, if you are looking for a place to leave your stuff while you are out all day and then a place to crash for the night, this place works.

harsh check-in personal, short and unconfortable bed, dirty towels, loud, too expensive!

• 5th May 2014

Loved free breakfast! Also,the place is located really good neighbourhood with many stores and restaurants and subway sration close by.

This is the second hostel I've stayed in in NYC. While that is not a huge sample size, I can tell you that this has to be one of the best hostels in the city. Perfect location, clean, nice rooms, and comfortable beds (no bunks). I highly recommend this place!

We had a great time very well situated, very clean, the only thing: you can hear very well every doors openings or closing

• 2nd May 2014

Good place for value. et what you paided for.G

• 2nd May 2014

One of the best hostels I've stayed in. Excellent location, great staff, clean, and a a good value.

• 1st May 2014

Well, It's not a place to hang out not funy at all, i didn't like front desk zero hospitality and you barely have contact with them, the breakfast was good enougth, the room are super uglies but clean. You receive exactly what you pay. Chealsea is a hostel to have breakfast and sleep.

The hostel was kept very clean and the staff were really friendly. I spent very little time at the hostel, really only to sleep so I can't comment much about what the rest of the hostel had to offer. Breakfast was ok. It was so packed in the kitchen you could barely move let alone find a place to sit. I ended up not even using my breakfast tickets and eating out instead after the first morning. Will be returning :)

• 29th Apr 2014

I was staying in a 4 bed female dorm with bathroom for 6 nights.They cleaned the room everyday so it was fresh. Breakfast was good, a bagel with fruit and unlimited cereal, coffee and juice. Wifi in common area. The room was either sauna hot or freezing cold they couldn't really get a hang of it but the weather was shifting as well. Location is in the middle of uptown and downtown manhattan get a subwaycard the stations are not far away.

Hostel was in an excellent location and cheap -- two things that saved me plenty of time and money. Very quiet and pleasant window view. My mother and I shared a private room and were happy to have a clean space although it was not the prettiest looking room (the wall needed to be repainted and the fluorescent lights made me feel like I was in a garage.) The floor was slanted and my mom joked about rolling out of bed a few times in the night. Aside from that, no complaints!

Great location. Bathroom iwas so small. Breakfast was not enough. Bed is not comfly. I've booked twin room with ensuite but i got bed with only a washing sink , there's no bathing facility inside the room, what a joke!! Worse than that, when i openned the door, stink smell hit my face&nose so strong that I almost threw up. However, all staffs were lovely and friendly. Comedy on Tuesday's evening was great.

• 28th Apr 2014
  • Thailand

Hi, Sorry to say that you actually booked a 2 Bed Female Shared Room No Bath x 1. Our reservation system is linked to Hostelworld.com and their affiliates, so you get exactly what you ordered.

Our stay at Chelsea hostel would have been better if the shower room were a little bit more cleaner and if the beds were little bit less rude. We also had no wifi in the room. The hostel is well situated and the staff was nice, and the breakfast complete.

When I checked in during the morning the staff was not good. The guy was not patient to explain what the fees were and what was going on. I think it's very important making things clear as well as being aware that not everybody understands everything. Although, the other guy during the check out was very helpful and friendly.

• 26th Apr 2014

This is probably the cheapest place where you could stay in central Manhattan! It is VERY basic, virtually like a prison cell but there is a washbasin in the room, a toilet and a shower just outside and everything is kept cleen enough. Staff are fair, breakfast is one fruit, one bagel and unlimited cornflakes, milk and coffee, but you could stay in a much more expensive hotel and not get much more anyway. Although I forgot my earplugs I wasn't disturbed by noise. I'd definitely stay here again!