Chili Blue Backpackers Reviews

144 Victoria Street, Kings Cross, Kings Cross, Sydney, Australia

Worst ever hostel!

• 19th Jan 2015

Nice place but the staff was rude the guy who did the check in didn't explain anything just told me the room number. And the man in the checkout at first refused to give me the 20$ deposit in cash. He insisted that only could do the refund in my credit card despite I paid the deposit in cash. At the end he throw the money in the counter and ask me to catch it.

Rude staff, dirty and no air condition at all - extremely hot!! Very small rooms. Good pillow and breakfast though.

It is a great hostel where you can meet a lot of nice people. Everything you need is close to the hostel (supermarket, food shops, bars, clubs, train station, etc.). You can also visit all famous sights like the opera house or harbour bridge and it is only a few minutes by walk. I can only recommend it to you!

• 12th Jan 2015

Great hostel in a great location! All staff were very helpful and welcoming. Breakfast in the morning was great.

• 5th Jan 2015

The hostel is close to the train station, but quite far from the centre. My room was absolutely tiny and not clean. Wifi didn't work on my phone (but they do have computers during the hours the reception is open). If you want cups/ plates, you have to pay a deposit. They refund the room key deposit on your credit/ debit card (no cash refund).

as a health and neat freak, some soap in the washroom would be nice... hard to wash face in small sink adding a shower rod in the shower so water doesn't splash onto towel/clothes would be useful. liked that the kitchen and rooms were cleaner than most hostels. great people staying there. one odd desk clerk that doesn't like french canadians.. negativity should be kept to ones self at work. i personally liked the location because its close to a real health food store and the world bar

Nice location in kings cross. Very young people though and communal rooms are not very nice. Staff was nice.

No curtains in both room 17 & 19 which is not good and lots of cockroaches/bugs. Rooms are far too small found it hard to move! Not enough bathrooms/showers (one on each floor) breakfast was adequate (boiled eggs, toast & jam, cereal with milk) but get there early (7-8am). Wifi was ok. Gas hobs but not all were working. You get what you pay for :)

I quite like this hostel. it's not too small, but it still a bit crammed. I ended up extending my stay. They have free WIFI (works pretty good), a combined kitchen/communal area, the room I was in had air condition. I booked a 10 bed dorm and ended up in an 8-bed one for the same price.The only thing I didn't like was the party people and music till early in the morning. Even after a few days this didn't seem to be 'just occasionally'. Be patient or just use earplugs.

The best hotel i stayed at out of about 10 in Sydney - it's run really well and the manager helped me on several occasions with questions about the city. Breakfast was brilliant and well worth getting up for. Location is good an easy 20 minute walk to the bridge - a nice walk aswell. Bedroom was kept clean everyday and the bed was very comfy. Wifi was brilliant!! kitchen had everything you needed. Couldn't ask for much more!! Fully booked every night i was there so book fast!!

The hostel was in a great location, with train access to Bondi and a short walk to Sydney Central. The staff were all helpful and friendly and helped make our stay enjoyable. We also loved the free breakfast and wifi!!! Loved it so much we extended twice! :)

• 30th Oct 2014

A lot of rules and a lot of things you could get a fine for, it made me think more of a school or a prison, than a place for a holiday.

Thanks for you review. we value your feedback and are grateful for your comment. We do have a few rules that are subject of fines if breach but the only purpose of this is to improve the comfort of our guest. Perhaps you will find that most hostels have similar rules (cleaning pots, noise at night, cleanliness of room). Hope you have a great holiday

no comments, the worst

• 13th Oct 2014
  • Argentina

I had a great stay, I was able to keep some luggage with them whilst I travelled up to Brisbane for the week and then I checked back in to the hostel which was a lifesaver. Hostel is cleaned pretty regularly each day and the staff have been super friendly and helpful.

Very cozy. Helpful staff

The building is quite old and the walls thin so noise can travel. However, having said that, I had a great time. The owner is a great guy and front desk has all kinds of information on what to do. Security is good and everything was clean. Nice common area and relatively easy to meet people.

The location is excellent steps from Kings Cross Station. The owner and front desk staff are very helpful and accommodating. Steve at he front desk was so informative and helpful always offering his help even when I stopped him at 11pm to ask about a day trip in the morning. No outdoor space after 10Reiss and the Club promotions team know the best party spots stick with them. Hostel is clean however quite run down, but you defiantly get your value for the money paid, for Sydney the price is good

First off, location was fantastic. A minutes walk to the train station, and a pleasant 45 minutes to the Opera House and Circular Quay and downtown area. Although it's in Kings Cross I felt safe with their keycard security. The hostel, rooms, and washrooms were always spotless. The kitchen was good, but It would've been nice to see an oven. Overall I had a very good time and for how cheap it is, you can't go wrong!! The staff didn't seem as openly friendly however. Recommend it!

A good atmosphere in the hostel and the beds were sufficient for purpose. Staff and guests very friendly. Very reasonable rates and good if you are on a budget. A $20 deposit is taken on check-in for the key and if you want to use the kitchen then a $20 deposit is taken for plates- be aware they can only refund deposits to card, even if cash was paid. The only drawback for me was the showers, low pressure and difficult to control the temperature, other than that I would recommend.

• 22nd Sep 2014