Chinatown Travelers Home Reviews

31 Grange Avenue, Toronto, Canada

Room smelt weird, had to pay for a towel, noisey and not good atmosphere. cheap backpacker place, no care really given. Pay, stay, bye bye. Location is convenient but that's all it has going for it.

Worst hostel I've stayed at. I can't imagine it will be open much longer. Maybe it would be semi acceptable in Ethiopia but not downtown Toronto.

extremely rude staff!

• 26th Aug 2013

After 1 week I had bed bugs bites all over my body. The bed was very dirty and I heard from other guests I am not the only person with complains like this. I checked out early and went to a other place

• 13th Aug 2013

For the security, they have camera and locked access to the building which is not that bad. We were transfered to the "University Apartment" due to the lack of space, even if we reserved for the one on Grange avenue. Its in the middle of the Chinatown and its dirty. The beds are stiffs and on wooden planks. Bathrooms are really nasty. But the location is fantastic. You have bars nearby, restaurants, the metro and the eaton center close. What were you really expecting for 25$ a night in Toronto?

• 2nd Aug 2013

The place stank, the toilet in the room was completely exposed in the middle of the bedroom and we were made walk to some other house upon arrival.

• 29th Jul 2013

Great location and is relatively cheap. These are its only qualities. It is exactly like the hotels for Chinese people (not for tourists) in China. Some rooms, in the basement, don't even have any windows. Toilets and bathrooms dirty. Bed bugs and mice. No staff : you have to call them on a direct line and wait 20 minutes to see someone. They rely on the clients to clean !!! Avoid if possible.

• 9th Jul 2013

Dont stay there! Very dirty. Unless the 3-months-old urin stains dont bother you. They made some refurbishement in the bathroom, it even looked new, but I bet they have never clean it. Urin eveywhere, old dirt in the shower toilet and just stinky stains everywhere. They didnt whipe the floor too. I found somebody's hairs on the pillow = sheets werent changed at all. Besides the staf was not present. You call them, but they dont care. This is the worst hostel I've been to. Avoid it.

What a kiphole. I wouldnt let a diseased rat stay there. Guy on door didnt even know I was staying there and when I complained about the state of the place the girl on reception started to jump into kung foo moves and her voice started to screech. Weirdos. Got my money back there and then. I had only been there about 20 minutes. A girl who had been staying there showed me her bed bugs bites. Cracks all over toilets and floors. Most guests looked like criminals and real dodgy looking. NO WAYZ...

• 1st Jul 2013

it is hard to find, because it is situated in a town house you had to call reception and then wait for several hours before they arrived they did not speak English fluently everything was really dirty: - the toilet paper was wet and red - everywhere lay hair (head and pubic hair) there were insects all over the place: bed bugs, centipedes (15 cm long) no airconditioner (in a small 12 square room with 4 people) I got not the chamber I booked (booked: 3 bed female, got: 4 bed mixed) ...

• 28th Jun 2013
  • Switzerland

Apart from sitting sideways on the toilet because it nearly touches the wall, or all the Mosquitos that riddled us with bites

This place is horrendous. The building we were moved to was in an uninviting side street and the room had no air conditioning.Bed filled with bedbugs. I left after one night with 30+ bedbug bites all over my body. The fridge smelled rancid and there were hairs all over the bed and shower. The entire building smelled badly and the so-called 'kitchen' was filthy. Strange, stressed staff with virtually no English. No one seemed to be in charge which wasn't good for security. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

the hostel it was full. so they moved me to the university apartments... private room instead of dorm at the same price... no luggage store, 5 dollars in the bus station for 24h

A concern! I book for a simple single, and arrive, there are no rooms left! so they take me and another guy over to their sister building, university hostel, and I check in... I pay the rate for a simple single, the other guy however, has booked for a dorm... even though neither place actually has a dorm. and they only charge him the dorm price, even though they give him a simple single just like mine! so, why do they allow you to book dorms, when they don't even have dorms, I feel ripped off.

The location was great, but the cleaniness of this hostel wasn't. The sheets on the bed seemed dirty. And there was some bug in the restroom.

This place is ok, if you don´t want to spend a lot of money. The staff was inconvenient and totally unorganized and the most time not available . There was no linen on the bed and the room was only cleaned superficially... I can´t recommend this Hotel to anybody.

I liked the hostel. The location is great, close to everything you may need. The room was good and clean. The staff was helpful and nice. If I will ever stay in Toronto I would choose this hostel definitely.

• 28th May 2013
  • Ukraine

We instantly felt extremely unsafe, when we arrived our room had half empty vodka bottle and screwed up bedding, the host asked us if we wanted to come back when it was clean or wait, surely it should be clean ready for our arrival!!?? It was dirty in the 'kitchen' area and the room tiny, our heads touched the ceiling. The room did not have a phone or tv as stated! It smelt like cat and the shower was disgustingly dirty. We left after 1 hour with no refund! Outrageous service!!!!!

• 26th May 2013

I have staytd in 50 different hostels and this is not a hostel. It is more of a halfway house. The night managers actually managers 3 houses in the area and I waited 30 minutes upon my arrival. I originally booked for the Chinatown travelers home but was told they did not have a room available and I was taken to the University apartments. The private rooms are what you expect in a hotel that charges by the hour. The bathroom was worse. I was forced to use the YMCA. worst experience ever

• 20th May 2013

They make you wear "indoor shoes" but I hope you're over a size 10 because they only stock for the Bigfoot. I kept tripping in the stairs because they only have giant sandals. The bathroom smelled like boiled cabbage and there was a HUGE house centipede in our room. The mattress cover was all ripped up and the staff was elusive.