Chinatown Travelers Home Reviews

31 Grange Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Apart from sitting sideways on the toilet because it nearly touches the wall, or all the Mosquitos that riddled us with bites

This place is horrendous. The building we were moved to was in an uninviting side street and the room had no air conditioning.Bed filled with bedbugs. I left after one night with 30+ bedbug bites all over my body. The fridge smelled rancid and there were hairs all over the bed and shower. The entire building smelled badly and the so-called 'kitchen' was filthy. Strange, stressed staff with virtually no English. No one seemed to be in charge which wasn't good for security. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

the hostel it was full. so they moved me to the university apartments... private room instead of dorm at the same price... no luggage store, 5 dollars in the bus station for 24h

A concern! I book for a simple single, and arrive, there are no rooms left! so they take me and another guy over to their sister building, university hostel, and I check in... I pay the rate for a simple single, the other guy however, has booked for a dorm... even though neither place actually has a dorm. and they only charge him the dorm price, even though they give him a simple single just like mine! so, why do they allow you to book dorms, when they don't even have dorms, I feel ripped off.

The location was great, but the cleaniness of this hostel wasn't. The sheets on the bed seemed dirty. And there was some bug in the restroom.

This place is ok, if you don´t want to spend a lot of money. The staff was inconvenient and totally unorganized and the most time not available . There was no linen on the bed and the room was only cleaned superficially... I can´t recommend this Hotel to anybody.

I liked the hostel. The location is great, close to everything you may need. The room was good and clean. The staff was helpful and nice. If I will ever stay in Toronto I would choose this hostel definitely.

• 28th May 2013
  • Ukraine

We instantly felt extremely unsafe, when we arrived our room had half empty vodka bottle and screwed up bedding, the host asked us if we wanted to come back when it was clean or wait, surely it should be clean ready for our arrival!!?? It was dirty in the 'kitchen' area and the room tiny, our heads touched the ceiling. The room did not have a phone or tv as stated! It smelt like cat and the shower was disgustingly dirty. We left after 1 hour with no refund! Outrageous service!!!!!

• 26th May 2013

I have staytd in 50 different hostels and this is not a hostel. It is more of a halfway house. The night managers actually managers 3 houses in the area and I waited 30 minutes upon my arrival. I originally booked for the Chinatown travelers home but was told they did not have a room available and I was taken to the University apartments. The private rooms are what you expect in a hotel that charges by the hour. The bathroom was worse. I was forced to use the YMCA. worst experience ever

• 20th May 2013

They make you wear "indoor shoes" but I hope you're over a size 10 because they only stock for the Bigfoot. I kept tripping in the stairs because they only have giant sandals. The bathroom smelled like boiled cabbage and there was a HUGE house centipede in our room. The mattress cover was all ripped up and the staff was elusive.

• 9th May 2013

The room was not clean. Toilet roll was tied with a bicycle lock, and two empty ones where still there from the previous couple. The door was too short, from the bottom of the door to the floor where 2 or 3 inches of nothing, we put the backpacks because we can see the frets of the people in the aisle. See pictures here: http://imageshack.us/g/822/20130501095223.jpg/ They ask you to clean your room before leave. Wifi was good in the room.

Self Service style accommodation. Does the trick.

I'm currently enjoying my second stay at this hostel. The location is excellent - close to Dundas and Spadina. There are security cameras which is great if you're at all worried about your belongings while not home. The staff is very friendly. The rate can't be argued with, WiFi has been up 100% of the time and for the most part has been very fast. For shared bathrooms, there is one on each floor - if one is occupied you can use another. Also the provided bedding is clean. Overall no complaints.

• 24th Apr 2013

Dirty room and bathroom. Just wanted to sleep but men in room next door speaking Chinese all night until about 5:00am. No smoking signs everywhere yet our room smelled strongly of smoke. Owner did not speak English, cold rooms no soap or towles unless purchased. Also, quiet signs everywhere yet men speaking Chinese until early hours in the morning very LOUDLY!

• 2nd Apr 2013

In exchange for inexpensive nightly rates, this hostel brings hassles and poor quality. Upon arrival, there was no reservation even though I had booked through hostelworld and paid the deposit. The staff spoke very little English and tried to charge us a higher price than was stated in the agreement for the same room. After a lengthy negotiation, we went to see our room: there was a terrible smell coming from the bathroom and it was cold. No additional blankets were provided when we asked.

The employees don`t speak a single word of english nor spanish. The safety of the place is not good, because any person who has the access code may enter, and the code is easy to guess (1234) and never changes. It is very cheap, but I think this is the worst hostel I`ve ever been to, and I always travel staying in hostels. In the end, I switched to another hostels in the same city after the days I have already paid when I checked in.

They moved us to another location, it was really dirty (we had a bag with snacks and the next morning we found a whole in it... with the shape of a rat's teeth, I don't need to say anything else), they charged us more than they said in the reservation and we had a pretty ugly argument about it with one of the employees; at the end they didn't gave us our money back. About the people who works there... not friendly at all. Definitely our worst experience in a hostel, wouldn't go there again.

Nice and clean.

It was a little weird when I arrived at midnight and got told that I was to stay in a different building 10 mins walk away, and the night manager would walk me there & help with my luggage. But it turned out great in the end. My room was small, but near new. I shared a bathrrom with only 1 other room. Very clean. It was actually only 4 blocks away and the night manager was kind, helpful, did not mug me, and carried all my luggage. Best $30 I've ever spent!

Everyone was very helpful and friendly. Thank you so much for making our trip easy and enjoyable.