Chinatown Travelers Home Reviews

31 Grange Avenue, Toronto, Canada

service wasn't friendly, quality of the hostel was poor and you couldn't use your shoes in the building

It's the dirtiest hostel I have ever been to. I had a single room. The room was not cleaned. Old food was inside when I arrived, everywhere hairs and the shower... Uff! Also they have rooms without windows downstairs. Please don't go there.

• 3rd Aug 2014

My friend and I booked this place several days in advanced and when we arrived at 10pm we had no room for us, no compensation, no nothing. We dont recommand this place at all.

• 27th Jun 2014

Really nice hostel: super clean, well located, helpful staff... everything super cool! We had one bad experience: the Niagara falls tour. It took us to places completely completely pointless -wine tasting, a fake souvenir town, etc -we took almost 5hours to reach the falls and once we were there we only had 1.5h to have a look, run from place to place to do the different activities offered -boat trip, walk behind the falls- and go back to the bus. A whole day for just 1,5h at the falls.

• 26th Jun 2014
  • Spain

The washrooms were dirty.

• 25th May 2014

Kitchen had a thick layer of grease on everything. Tried to give us a lower quality room than we booked (twice). Made us wait extra because the room we booked wasn't ready but didn't even bother to clean the bathroom. Why book a private bathroom if it's going to be filthy anyway? We still had to pay for two beds even though it was one double bed but they couldn't be bothered to give a room key to the secod person. Mould in fridge. Smelled strongly of moth balls.

Horrible hostel. We had to wait 40 mn in the cold before someone came to check us in and then the room was so tiny and cold and we didn't always have warm water.

Very poorly maintained and filthy. Bad odor greets you at entrance and the rooms were not clean. I've stayed at hostels many times but this was by far the worst accommodation I've seen. They make you walk from grange street to another location across Chinatown. I complained about false advertising and they were not apologetic, very used to running the scam it seems. Don't book there!

Don't do it!

• 3rd Nov 2013

What else can you expect from a room that cost $25 a night?! I mean it wasn't spotless, or brilliantly equipped but it was placed perfectly in Toronto. The staff member felt like all she wanted was our money, showed us our room and walked off with the cash in hand. 3 single beds for 3 lads on a budget 4 week travelling holiday, no complaints really. Just don't be expecting miracles from this place, wouldn't go again it was an experience none the less...

A nice first pied-à-terre It is a cheap and very well located place. At the entrance you have a phone to reach the owner, which is useful because my cellphone doesn't work in Canada. I didn't use their computer either their washingmachine but the wifi works very well (my own laptop). I arrived late and did not have sheets for my bed. The place got cleaned one day after my arrival and the door knob stayed several times in my hands when I tried to close my door.

• 27th Sep 2013

Staff very rude with customers. We were 3 in a room for 2 people, so they set up a mattress on the floor, there were then no place left for our luggages. One bathroom for a whole floor.

I had bed bugs on my bed and was bitten more than ten times. Had to remove the bed sheets in the middle of the night to kill two bed bugs and then ended up using a different bed. Very low condition in cleanliness.

• 1st Sep 2013

at really I didn't stay there, because when i arrived there wasn't anybody there and I nedd to call to a telephone. on the telephone they said me tahn they didn't have any room for me in this house, but one in other house a one hour distance i=on the north of toronto. I am really disppointed with your website, because I thinked I could trust in your book.

• 30th Aug 2013

avoid this hostel if you can. Narrow, dirty and noisy. We booked a room with three beds. But they only provided a room with two beds. No refund. And it was too late for us to find another hostel.

• 30th Aug 2013
  • China

cannot find any stall during night. on the reception room door, it's showed that it will open on 10:30 am while i wait till 11:20 there is nobody and the telephones are always no answering.

• 29th Aug 2013
  • China

Room smelt weird, had to pay for a towel, noisey and not good atmosphere. cheap backpacker place, no care really given. Pay, stay, bye bye. Location is convenient but that's all it has going for it.

Worst hostel I've stayed at. I can't imagine it will be open much longer. Maybe it would be semi acceptable in Ethiopia but not downtown Toronto.

extremely rude staff!

• 26th Aug 2013

After 1 week I had bed bugs bites all over my body. The bed was very dirty and I heard from other guests I am not the only person with complains like this. I checked out early and went to a other place

• 13th Aug 2013