Chinese Box Courtyard Hostel Reviews

NO.52 Xi Si Bei 2 Tiao Hutong, Xicheng District, Beijing, China

This place is the nicest place, tucked away down a Beijing hutong, not too far west of the Forbidden City. It's not the ideal place for meeting young, heavy drinking travellers but it's great for the lone traveller, a couple, or a more civilized group that may find like-minded people. The atmosphere is quiet and serene but it's close enough to get around the city too! Absolutely no issues and fully intend to stop by again someday...

This is the best hostel that I have ever been to. The staffs are so nice. The house is beautiful. I enjoy every day here . I meet wonderful people here. I have great meals here. All the things are amazing. I love here so much.

• 6th Sep 2014
  • China

This is the best hostel I could ever imagine. From the moment I arrived I felt at home as they answered the door and called me by name! It's easy to say a place is amazing but please let me give you details. The confirmation e mail from HostelWorld gave very understandable and clear directions at the bottom of the e mail, there was no need for a taxi or to stress. The hostels location from the subway station is quite close. Chinese dumplings and food was awesome! Help with tours terrific!

• 4th Sep 2014

The staff here are very friendly and the atmosphere is very welcoming. They offer some tours at the hostel at a good price, highly recommend them! The Great Wall Tours were superb! Breakfast is not bad, limited choice, but great for the price you pay! Location is great, about a 5 minute walk from the subway, and very convenient to get to other attractions. I would come back here again!!

Lovely hostel with friendly helpful staff. Expensive compared to other places we stayed but expected in beijing. Free noodles were yummy and they arranged a great trip to the wall, jinxaling is the best place to see it! Overall we loved our stay and would recommend!

Staff are lovely and very helpful. I stayed there for one night on my way back to Australia from Germany, having stopped over in Beijing. I had booked for the wrong night and they did everything in their power to find me a bed and that they did! Air conditioning was lovely! and the free breakfast. Very cool atmosphere!

• 25th Jul 2014

Great staff, had a fun experience, will definitely recommend! My only issue is that the hot water would not work for me for some reason... Thanks for letting me take the bike out, btw!

• 17th Jul 2014

Had a great time, wish we could have stayed in the communal area longer, but things close down at 11pm! But great hostel

It's a simple but very nice hostel! I enjoyed my stay very much. The Staff is super nice, helped us to book tours and find bars to watch a world cup match in the middle of the night. The air conditioning in the room was excellent. It was very clean for chinese pattern.

Chines box is a great hostel. The beds are very comfortable, the free breakfast is great. Lou is always willing to help with anything and the social nights are a great way to meet people. Good location too, Beijing subway system is easy to use.

The hostel has a friendly staff and organises free dumpling or noodle parties. A great way to get to know the local food and meet other travellers to exchange stories. The helpful staff will also point out to you that de local beer they are selling is 3 times the size of the other beer they are selling and only costs one third of the price. If you book a double ensuite you get a huge (Kang) bed that can easily sleep 3 persons and is thus a great luxury for a couple.

The staff is outstanding, very helpful and friendly. Our double room was quite basic, a big plus was the huge and SOFT mattress, which seems to be rare in China. Breakfast is simple, you can choose between toast, yoghurt muesli and noodle soop. The surrounding area is Beijing street life.

• 24th May 2014

It was a great stay at the Chinese Box hostel and a wonderful experience. They organized gatherings at night were great to meet new people. The Staff was very kind and took great care on all guests.

• 22nd May 2014

Great traditional hostel, so lovely!Atmosphere is simply great, I met so many nice people from all over the world.Stuff offer a dinner for a small price and it was delicious!We had dinner all together in the court.Stuff speak perfect English and they're always ready to help you with everything!One thing: if you are vegetarian the nearest place where you can eat is about 30min walk, tho the hostel can cook for you or there's a fruit shop 5min.To the most lively area:30min walk or subway 2 stops.

Best Hostel we have ever done in China ! Thank You for everything :)

Chinese Box is just fantastic. Although I just stayed a short while I thoroughly enjoyed it - staff are very nice, speaks good English and really go out of their way to make your stay as comfortable as possible. I'll definitely be back again!

• 27th Apr 2014
  • Sweden

This was a solid little hostel located right off line 4 in Beijing. It was easy to find and the staff was wonderful. I left my cell phone charger at home and they loaned me one, and also helped me get tickets (and transportation) to an acrobat show. The room about.s all face an outside corridor, which was fine for the time of year I was there, but could be an issue in the winter. You also have to go outside to go to the facilities or common room, so that's something to think

What makes this place is the reception staff, so helpful, nothing is too much trouble. Hostel is a fair walk from subway and bathroom is in the courtyard which is a bit cold in the middle of the night in your pjs. Will stay here again for sure.

Great place, great staff great guests and conveniently located by Xisi subway station at line 4.