Chinese Box Courtyard Hostel Reviews

NO.52 Xi Si Bei 2 Tiao Hutong, Xicheng District, Beijing, China

Very nice place and very friendly And helpful staff. Unfortunately it was a little cold in the room, because the small electric heater is not sufficcient for the room.

• 12th Dec 2014

The location was a little out of the way (10 minutes walk), but you can certainly experience local culture in the friendly neighbourhood. Thumbs up to the clean toilets and internet access.

• 8th Dec 2014
  • Singapore

My private room was quite clean and the shower area was roomy and extremely clean. Nice bed as well. Perhaps the only thing that might be considerate negative is the lack of a closet, yet this is not a real problem. I always carry extra clothes when traveling. The staff were very nice and polite, always a big smile on their faces. Love this place, the location isn't that far from the Tianmen Square And Forbidden City. The subway is convenient enough and not far away from the Hutong.

One of the best hostels I've been too.

I had a lovely stay at the Chinese Box. The people there (employees and guests) were really nice and the hostal is very pretty and close to the main "attractions" of the city. The only bad point I found (if I must give one) is that I had either very cold or very hot water. The rest was perfect, including my individual room.

• 18th Nov 2014

As my room-mate and I discussed, this is a "boutique" hostel. You really do get what you pay for! So I was happy to treat myself after my China Trip was concluding! The whole place is under key card access and is tucked safely away in a hutong. Though at first when I arrived after dark I was scared of the lonely alleyway and how far I was from the road, but in the day I realised that the hutong alley is literally a family area and it's totally safe!

If you choose some days to stay here, you would better have one day at Friday because you can taste the downplings done by staffs.

I really enjoyed staying here- the staff were so kind and helpful. The hostel is very cute, really clean and the facilities are good. The hostel organised a trip to the wall for me, saved me dumplings from the dumpling party and were just all round lovely. The location is great, easy to get to the main sights- and super close to the metro. I would highly recommend this hostel!

Good points- All the rooms have been refurbished which is excellent because frankly, I like clean. It's very quiet and a safe place. Not so good points- to get to the platform of the subway is about 15 mins. No cafés or bars around the immediate area. They don't clean your room and they only gave me one towel. Single room is very small. The BEST POINT- they speak and understand English. Understand is the key word. Hotels may speak but they can't understand what you want..=difficult.

• 3rd Oct 2014

Thanks for your comment which is really helpful and useful! Leoson

I WILL BE BACK

I was very happy to stay at the Chinese Box. The staff was super friendly and helpful. The hostel and our room was super clean.

• 1st Oct 2014

Great staff, but strange location down long alley - bit scary as a single girl at night!! single room great but pretty small for the price.

Thank you for your comment. It's true that the Chinese Box Courtyard is in a relatively out-of-the-way hutong that can be inconvenient. More central locations like Qianmeng Gate may work better for some travelers, particularly for a one-night stay. Thanks again, we wish you have a great trip! Leoson

Very cosy and quiet. Friendly staff and excellent food (the best dumplings ever), and very clean.

• 28th Sep 2014

This place is the nicest place, tucked away down a Beijing hutong, not too far west of the Forbidden City. It's not the ideal place for meeting young, heavy drinking travellers but it's great for the lone traveller, a couple, or a more civilized group that may find like-minded people. The atmosphere is quiet and serene but it's close enough to get around the city too! Absolutely no issues and fully intend to stop by again someday...

It's quite a good ambience to stay in. Very authentic courtyard feel. It's just that the location is not as prominent as hidden in alley. Overall worth to stay!

• 6th Sep 2014
  • Malaysia

This is the best hostel that I have ever been to. The staffs are so nice. The house is beautiful. I enjoy every day here . I meet wonderful people here. I have great meals here. All the things are amazing. I love here so much.

• 6th Sep 2014
  • China

This is the best hostel I could ever imagine. From the moment I arrived I felt at home as they answered the door and called me by name! It's easy to say a place is amazing but please let me give you details. The confirmation e mail from HostelWorld gave very understandable and clear directions at the bottom of the e mail, there was no need for a taxi or to stress. The hostels location from the subway station is quite close. Chinese dumplings and food was awesome! Help with tours terrific!

• 4th Sep 2014

Thanks for your great comment! I wish you enjoy your next trip in Africa, and looking forwards to meet you again on Nov! Cheers Leoson

The staff here are very friendly and the atmosphere is very welcoming. They offer some tours at the hostel at a good price, highly recommend them! The Great Wall Tours were superb! Breakfast is not bad, limited choice, but great for the price you pay! Location is great, about a 5 minute walk from the subway, and very convenient to get to other attractions. I would come back here again!!

Lovely hostel with friendly helpful staff. Expensive compared to other places we stayed but expected in beijing. Free noodles were yummy and they arranged a great trip to the wall, jinxaling is the best place to see it! Overall we loved our stay and would recommend!

Staff are lovely and very helpful. I stayed there for one night on my way back to Australia from Germany, having stopped over in Beijing. I had booked for the wrong night and they did everything in their power to find me a bed and that they did! Air conditioning was lovely! and the free breakfast. Very cool atmosphere!

• 25th Jul 2014