Chinese Box Courtyard Hostel Reviews

NO.52 Xi Si Bei 2 Tiao Hutong, Xicheng District, Beijing, China

Nice hostel on a good location near a metro. Especially the 24 hour staffing and the English the staff spoke were outstanding. As it's really a youth hostel it's a nice place to meet other travellers. My main point of critic are the prices of the drinks in the bar, like 25 yuan for a bottle of beer. In the same street there is a small kiosk, which sells the same beers for 6 yuans. Therefore, you see people walking in all day bringing their own booze, freshly bought at the kiosk.

Dear guest, thanks for your comment. And for our bar, we are so sorry that we never sell the same beer with the kiosk. We don't know what kind of beer you meant. And for the Chinese beer, we only sell Qingdao. And it is 10RMB.

This was an excellent place to stay. The staff were very friendly and helpful and made my stay enjoyable. It is only 5 mins from the subway and walking distance to the forbidden city.

• 3rd May 2015

Great hostel! The staff are very friendly and helpful. The restrooms and showers are very clean as are the rooms. The location is close to the subway so all of Beijing is within easy access.

• 30th Apr 2015

I really enjoy my 2-day stay there! It's my first time to live in a northchina style yard like this.Quiet environment, friendly staff, free dumpling party make me feel at home. A nice lobby makes it easy to make friends here. One of the best hostel i've ever experienced.

I has a golf Experience. However I think that some standard things like soap and shampoo can be included. Also I think that although the staff was extremely kind and happy, they could prepare some basic walktroughs for tourist. My experience was that they did not have this organized unless it was a paid tour.

Dumpling party was great!

Joy was really helpful over emails but this waned a tad when we actually arrived. The room we had (private double) was rather nice but not convinced it was worth the cost - then again, Beijing isn't cheap at the best of times. Location is pretty dire though, the Hutong is dead and far more like a back alley. Better off going for downtown backpackers if you want a proper bustling atmosphere and bars/nightlife.

Very clean and decorated hostel, with cosy common areas. The beds and facilities are good. The best thing is that bikes are borrowed for FREE and actually it is easy to bike in Beijing.

My girlfriend and I only stayed one night, and got in late and left early. Compared to the other Beijing hutongs I've stayed in, the courtyard and atmosphere and room size here were a little disappointing for the price. It was easy enough to find, and not terribly far from the subway. The staff was fantastic, and very helpful, the facilities were good, and the room, while tiny, was sufficient.

It was a very nice stay at chinese box. Both of the hosts are approachable and very helpful. like the dumpling party and tea session after that.

• 22nd Mar 2015
  • Malaysia

I really enjoyed my stay here and this hostel has thought of almost everything you could need during your stay. The staff were amazing, very friendly and helpful. The showers were fantastic with even a heater in them if you need. They turned the laundry around within a few hours. The breakfast offering was also really good and affordable. I cannot possibly fault Chinese Box. The wifi was patchy in the rooms but to be honest I thought it was a good thing as it got us all to talk! I will return.

The staff is helpful and so kind.But it's not easy to find some food nearby.Wifi is not good at second day.I think it's good to have a holiday here,not travel.

We were surprised, our stay war perfect. The shower was like in a 4 star hotel.

I couldn't fault this place, absolutely perfect!

• 13th Feb 2015

This was the perfect hostel for me, once I'd found it! It was cleaner and nicer than my 4* hotel in Harbin. The staff are really lovely, helpful and friendly. And, even though it was quiet due to it being low season, I still met other travellers. Exactly what I was looking for. I would definitely recommend this hostel and I would book it again if I visit Beijing again - which I need to as Lee has promised to paint my face Beijing Opera style!

I really enjoyed the Chinesebox. Bed, linen and shower were better than many hotels. Top quality. The staff Joy and Lee were lovely and ever so helpful. Location might be strange at first but in fact is safe and close to subway and local restaurants. Safety is good. The only downside is not having access to a kitchen to do our own cooking, but in China eating out is part of the visit. So have some tea and enjoy this hostel.

My friend recommended this hostel in Beijing. I can say everything is perfect if you have tight budget. All staff are very nice - when I go back to Beijing I will definitely stay here again.

• 2nd Feb 2015
  • Philippines

Amazing hostel!! While it's down a traditional hutong and is a little difficult to find the first time, I couldn't have had a better experience. It's secure, clean, and comfortable. The staff helped me book a Great Wall trip to Jinshaling, and since there were only three people staying while I was there, one night they even took us all to a traditional Beijing hotpot restaurant! Highly recommend.

Wonderful hostel placed in a real hutong near the main attractions in Beijing, the underground is quite near (西四 xisi station) and the staff is lovely and friendly. Best facilities I've ever found in a hostel, and the room are warm (in winter) and clean.

Very lovely place, although the restroom and shower are outside but it's very clean and comfortable. Other than that, the environment in the dorm room is pretty cozy and just feel like home. The best thing to do is to go to the lobby have some Chinese tea with friends and enjoy. I had a really great time here during the winter times, though just stayed for one night. But I will be back visiting again!