Chinese Box Courtyard Hostel Reviews

NO.52 Xi Si Bei 2 Tiao Hutong, Xicheng District, Beijing, China

Dumpling party was great!

Joy was really helpful over emails but this waned a tad when we actually arrived. The room we had (private double) was rather nice but not convinced it was worth the cost - then again, Beijing isn't cheap at the best of times. Location is pretty dire though, the Hutong is dead and far more like a back alley. Better off going for downtown backpackers if you want a proper bustling atmosphere and bars/nightlife.

Very clean and decorated hostel, with cosy common areas. The beds and facilities are good. The best thing is that bikes are borrowed for FREE and actually it is easy to bike in Beijing.

My girlfriend and I only stayed one night, and got in late and left early. Compared to the other Beijing hutongs I've stayed in, the courtyard and atmosphere and room size here were a little disappointing for the price. It was easy enough to find, and not terribly far from the subway. The staff was fantastic, and very helpful, the facilities were good, and the room, while tiny, was sufficient.

It was a very nice stay at chinese box. Both of the hosts are approachable and very helpful. like the dumpling party and tea session after that.

• 22nd Mar 2015
  • Malaysia

I really enjoyed my stay here and this hostel has thought of almost everything you could need during your stay. The staff were amazing, very friendly and helpful. The showers were fantastic with even a heater in them if you need. They turned the laundry around within a few hours. The breakfast offering was also really good and affordable. I cannot possibly fault Chinese Box. The wifi was patchy in the rooms but to be honest I thought it was a good thing as it got us all to talk! I will return.

The staff is helpful and so kind.But it's not easy to find some food nearby.Wifi is not good at second day.I think it's good to have a holiday here,not travel.

We were surprised, our stay war perfect. The shower was like in a 4 star hotel.

I couldn't fault this place, absolutely perfect!

• 13th Feb 2015

This was the perfect hostel for me, once I'd found it! It was cleaner and nicer than my 4* hotel in Harbin. The staff are really lovely, helpful and friendly. And, even though it was quiet due to it being low season, I still met other travellers. Exactly what I was looking for. I would definitely recommend this hostel and I would book it again if I visit Beijing again - which I need to as Lee has promised to paint my face Beijing Opera style!

I really enjoyed the Chinesebox. Bed, linen and shower were better than many hotels. Top quality. The staff Joy and Lee were lovely and ever so helpful. Location might be strange at first but in fact is safe and close to subway and local restaurants. Safety is good. The only downside is not having access to a kitchen to do our own cooking, but in China eating out is part of the visit. So have some tea and enjoy this hostel.

My friend recommended this hostel in Beijing. I can say everything is perfect if you have tight budget. All staff are very nice - when I go back to Beijing I will definitely stay here again.

• 2nd Feb 2015
  • Philippines

Amazing hostel!! While it's down a traditional hutong and is a little difficult to find the first time, I couldn't have had a better experience. It's secure, clean, and comfortable. The staff helped me book a Great Wall trip to Jinshaling, and since there were only three people staying while I was there, one night they even took us all to a traditional Beijing hotpot restaurant! Highly recommend.

Wonderful hostel placed in a real hutong near the main attractions in Beijing, the underground is quite near (西四 xisi station) and the staff is lovely and friendly. Best facilities I've ever found in a hostel, and the room are warm (in winter) and clean.

Very lovely place, although the restroom and shower are outside but it's very clean and comfortable. Other than that, the environment in the dorm room is pretty cozy and just feel like home. The best thing to do is to go to the lobby have some Chinese tea with friends and enjoy. I had a really great time here during the winter times, though just stayed for one night. But I will be back visiting again!

Nice hostel, it's set in a traditional Chinese courtyard and is rather lovely. It's nice and clean, the rooms were spacious and the beds comfortable. It's not very close to the usual sights so I had to do a bit of walking, though Beijing is huge so it's hard to walk around anyway. I took the Great Wall tour they organised and was glad I did. They were able to sort out a train ticket for me and charged less than a travel agent. Overall, it was nice, just not amazing.

Stayed here in January. The hostel is located down a small hutong and there isn't much in the near vicinity (couple of shops and restaurants) but the metro is only a 5 minute walk so you can get around the city easily. The staff are very friendly and helpful and the hostel itself is really nice - very clean, very relaxed. Would definitely stay here again. I was also there for their 'dumpling night'... who doesn't love free dumplings?!

Thoroughly enjoyed my stay and time in Beijing. I would recommend it to anyone. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. Thanks for a great weekend.

• 22nd Jan 2015

The staff is very nice and helpful, walking from subway station 10 min, the bedrooms look new and very clean, the only thing I didn't like is that wifi was not working inside our bedroom, maybe because it was more far than others, the room was a little cold because of the big window-door, hot water in shower should be hotter, besides that, nice place to stay

Thanks for your comments. We are really sorry about the wifi. It has been fixing during your stay.It is working fine now.We value your suggestions very much and will do a good job. Hope to see you in Beijing .Thank you again.

Top hostel , excellent staff . Authentic.