Chinese Box Courtyard Hostel Reviews

NO.52 Xi Si Bei 2 Tiao Hutong, Xicheng District, Beijing, China

Wonderful staff who were cheerful and helpful with all my random requests. They're very relaxed and create a great atmosphere for guests with lots of activities. Convenient location near the Xisi metro station gets you pretty much everywhere within half an hour. Great stay and I'll definitely be back.

• 25th Aug 2015

Very good place to stay in Beijing. The Hostel although is located in a very small "local" street. Give you a Feeling how Chinese people live. Although it is only a few minutes by metro to all the mayor spots in Beijing, the location could be a bit better. Besides that a very good choice! (y) ps: You have to visit the great wall while staying in Beijing!! One of the best experiences during my three month in china

Free postcards, jam session space, incredible showers! Very nice hostel... the staff wasn't as helpful the first night because I arrived around dinner time but after that they were more helpful. Very social vibes here.

Our 4-person group LOVED our 5-night stay at Chinese Box! The environment is a mix of modern and home-y. We met fellow travelers at the free noodle dinner on Monday. We also had a fantastic time on the discounted day tour of the Great Wall organized by the hostel! What a hike (6 km!), few other people on the wall, and a great meal provided before the bus ride back. Fairly priced, fresh-cooked breakfasts. Professional staff spoke great English and for a small fee arranged our next train tickets.

• 25th Jul 2015

Lovely hostel. Offered great tours: the great wall tour was very good with few people at the wall and the acrobatics show is the best show we have ever seen! Very good atmosphere at the hostel, we loved bicycling to the tiananmen square at night :) great aircondition and bathroom/toilet facilities.

Nicely decorated new hostel. The great part is each dorm room has the bath room with 2 showers and toilets, so no morning hassle! As others already point out, it's not a happening kind of hostel, so you may better find another one if you are looking for meeting for new people. For me the location was inconvenient for going out to the city center, but it won't be a problem if you are just exploring hostorical areas.

This hostel looked nothing like the photos. It was dated and old. The deluxe dorm room was no different to the normal dorm rooms, it just had less beds. The beds are old school bunk beds that look like they came from the 1980s. The lockers in the rooms are as old. There are two toilets and two showers for all dorm rooms only. When it rains one toilet was disgustingly muddy. One member of staff was really helpful. The other femail staff member "Joy" was not a joy to be around.

The best thing about this hostel is the staff. They made me feel at home. I was comfortable and natural, finding myself getting to know them on a personal level and building a friendship with them. They are amazing people. Also, they have many convenient facilities and clean rooms, as well as a design that filled me with a sense of heart and honor that was put into the culminating of this hostel. I felt cared for as a person, not just a guest. It was the best hostel I ever stayed at.

• 23rd Jun 2015

I had a great time and would absolutely recommend the Chinese Box! It is inside a Houtong! Food parties almost every night, great atmosphere, nice and helpful staff. Lee is very cool and a great host!

My stay was short but sweet. The place was clean, comfortable, modern and had most of the amenities I needed. Only gripe is the lack of ambiance is caused by a lack of participation from other people lodging here. Bear in mind this is a small hostel with many private rooms, so do not expect to make too many friends here. Note: The trip to the Great Wall booked by the hostel is cheaper than most others on the same trip.

Great place!!! I wanted to be right in the hutongs and it is without being out of place like some other hutongs hotel/hostels I've seen around the city. It's not as close to the subway stop as I expected, definitely a solid 10 minute walk (but still not bad considering how huge Beijing is). The staff were friendly, the place was lovely, and I wish I could've stayed longer to experience their dumplings party!

It was a really pleasant stay! If we go Beijing again (which is likely) we will definitely choose Chinese Box Courtyard Hostel! Thank you very much!

• 22nd May 2015

Really friendly staff. Put on a lot of meals/BBQ through the week for the guests.

• 19th May 2015

Nice hostel on a good location near a metro. Especially the 24 hour staffing and the English the staff spoke were outstanding. As it's really a youth hostel it's a nice place to meet other travellers. My main point of critic are the prices of the drinks in the bar, like 25 yuan for a bottle of beer. In the same street there is a small kiosk, which sells the same beers for 6 yuans. Therefore, you see people walking in all day bringing their own booze, freshly bought at the kiosk.

Dear guest, thanks for your comment. And for our bar, we are so sorry that we never sell the same beer with the kiosk. We don't know what kind of beer you meant. And for the Chinese beer, we only sell Qingdao. And it is 10RMB.

This was an excellent place to stay. The staff were very friendly and helpful and made my stay enjoyable. It is only 5 mins from the subway and walking distance to the forbidden city.

• 3rd May 2015

Great hostel! The staff are very friendly and helpful. The restrooms and showers are very clean as are the rooms. The location is close to the subway so all of Beijing is within easy access.

• 30th Apr 2015

Great place to stay. We were invited to join in a BBQ and was a fantastic experience. Really helpful staff and really relaxed atmosphere

I really enjoy my 2-day stay there! It's my first time to live in a northchina style yard like this.Quiet environment, friendly staff, free dumpling party make me feel at home. A nice lobby makes it easy to make friends here. One of the best hostel i've ever experienced.

I has a golf Experience. However I think that some standard things like soap and shampoo can be included. Also I think that although the staff was extremely kind and happy, they could prepare some basic walktroughs for tourist. My experience was that they did not have this organized unless it was a paid tour.

Dumpling party was great!