Chinese Box Courtyard Hostel Reviews

NO.52 Xi Si Bei 2 Tiao Hutong, Xicheng District, Beijing, China

Lovely hostel. Offered great tours: the great wall tour was very good with few people at the wall and the acrobatics show is the best show we have ever seen! Very good atmosphere at the hostel, we loved bicycling to the tiananmen square at night :) great aircondition and bathroom/toilet facilities.

This hostel looked nothing like the photos. It was dated and old. The deluxe dorm room was no different to the normal dorm rooms, it just had less beds. The beds are old school bunk beds that look like they came from the 1980s. The lockers in the rooms are as old. There are two toilets and two showers for all dorm rooms only. When it rains one toilet was disgustingly muddy. One member of staff was really helpful. The other femail staff member "Joy" was not a joy to be around.

The best thing about this hostel is the staff. They made me feel at home. I was comfortable and natural, finding myself getting to know them on a personal level and building a friendship with them. They are amazing people. Also, they have many convenient facilities and clean rooms, as well as a design that filled me with a sense of heart and honor that was put into the culminating of this hostel. I felt cared for as a person, not just a guest. It was the best hostel I ever stayed at.

• 23rd Jun 2015

I had a great time and would absolutely recommend the Chinese Box! It is inside a Houtong! Food parties almost every night, great atmosphere, nice and helpful staff. Lee is very cool and a great host!

My stay was short but sweet. The place was clean, comfortable, modern and had most of the amenities I needed. Only gripe is the lack of ambiance is caused by a lack of participation from other people lodging here. Bear in mind this is a small hostel with many private rooms, so do not expect to make too many friends here. Note: The trip to the Great Wall booked by the hostel is cheaper than most others on the same trip.

Great place!!! I wanted to be right in the hutongs and it is without being out of place like some other hutongs hotel/hostels I've seen around the city. It's not as close to the subway stop as I expected, definitely a solid 10 minute walk (but still not bad considering how huge Beijing is). The staff were friendly, the place was lovely, and I wish I could've stayed longer to experience their dumplings party!

It was a really pleasant stay! If we go Beijing again (which is likely) we will definitely choose Chinese Box Courtyard Hostel! Thank you very much!

• 22nd May 2015

Really friendly staff. Put on a lot of meals/BBQ through the week for the guests.

• 19th May 2015

Nice hostel on a good location near a metro. Especially the 24 hour staffing and the English the staff spoke were outstanding. As it's really a youth hostel it's a nice place to meet other travellers. My main point of critic are the prices of the drinks in the bar, like 25 yuan for a bottle of beer. In the same street there is a small kiosk, which sells the same beers for 6 yuans. Therefore, you see people walking in all day bringing their own booze, freshly bought at the kiosk.

Dear guest, thanks for your comment. And for our bar, we are so sorry that we never sell the same beer with the kiosk. We don't know what kind of beer you meant. And for the Chinese beer, we only sell Qingdao. And it is 10RMB.

This was an excellent place to stay. The staff were very friendly and helpful and made my stay enjoyable. It is only 5 mins from the subway and walking distance to the forbidden city.

• 3rd May 2015

Great hostel! The staff are very friendly and helpful. The restrooms and showers are very clean as are the rooms. The location is close to the subway so all of Beijing is within easy access.

• 30th Apr 2015

Great place to stay. We were invited to join in a BBQ and was a fantastic experience. Really helpful staff and really relaxed atmosphere

I really enjoy my 2-day stay there! It's my first time to live in a northchina style yard like this.Quiet environment, friendly staff, free dumpling party make me feel at home. A nice lobby makes it easy to make friends here. One of the best hostel i've ever experienced.

I has a golf Experience. However I think that some standard things like soap and shampoo can be included. Also I think that although the staff was extremely kind and happy, they could prepare some basic walktroughs for tourist. My experience was that they did not have this organized unless it was a paid tour.

Dumpling party was great!

Joy was really helpful over emails but this waned a tad when we actually arrived. The room we had (private double) was rather nice but not convinced it was worth the cost - then again, Beijing isn't cheap at the best of times. Location is pretty dire though, the Hutong is dead and far more like a back alley. Better off going for downtown backpackers if you want a proper bustling atmosphere and bars/nightlife.

Very clean and decorated hostel, with cosy common areas. The beds and facilities are good. The best thing is that bikes are borrowed for FREE and actually it is easy to bike in Beijing.

My girlfriend and I only stayed one night, and got in late and left early. Compared to the other Beijing hutongs I've stayed in, the courtyard and atmosphere and room size here were a little disappointing for the price. It was easy enough to find, and not terribly far from the subway. The staff was fantastic, and very helpful, the facilities were good, and the room, while tiny, was sufficient.

It was a very nice stay at chinese box. Both of the hosts are approachable and very helpful. like the dumpling party and tea session after that.

• 22nd Mar 2015
  • Malaysia

I really enjoyed my stay here and this hostel has thought of almost everything you could need during your stay. The staff were amazing, very friendly and helpful. The showers were fantastic with even a heater in them if you need. They turned the laundry around within a few hours. The breakfast offering was also really good and affordable. I cannot possibly fault Chinese Box. The wifi was patchy in the rooms but to be honest I thought it was a good thing as it got us all to talk! I will return.