Chinese Box Courtyard Hostel Reviews

NO.52 Xi Si Bei 2 Tiao Hutong, Xicheng District, Beijing, China

Nice hostel, it's set in a traditional Chinese courtyard and is rather lovely. It's nice and clean, the rooms were spacious and the beds comfortable. It's not very close to the usual sights so I had to do a bit of walking, though Beijing is huge so it's hard to walk around anyway. I took the Great Wall tour they organised and was glad I did. They were able to sort out a train ticket for me and charged less than a travel agent. Overall, it was nice, just not amazing.

Top hostel , excellent staff . Authentic.

Nice hostel! I stayed in the dorm for 6 nights. It was clean and there were lockers in the room. There were only 2 shared toilets and showers, but I never had to wait.

Nice hostel but make sure you print or now the directions very clearly as it is down a long alley and very few people speak english. Probably 10 min walk from tube station. Near centre of Beijing and Tianamen square etc.

Lovely helpful staff, immaculately clean room, good wifi and good value for money. The location is fine, but a bit out of the way on a very quiet hutong. It is certainly peaceful, but you could say that it lacks a bit of atmosphere. Although my room had an oil radiator, the absence of central heating was not ideal- especially given how standard that is in Beijing and indeed the depths the temperature can plummet to!

I really like staying here. The staff were really helpful and booked our return tickets to Shanghai. We booked a tour to go to the Great Wall and it was very good.

I very much liked my stay that Chinese Box Courtyard hostel. The staff is exteremely helpful and friendly. The rooms, bathroom and everything is very clean, cleaned daily. The hostel is located in an alley, which seems unsafe at first, but turns out to be not unsafe at all (even for a female traveller alone). It's close to the Xisi metro station which has a good connection to most parts of the city.

• 24th Dec 2014

Very nice place and very friendly And helpful staff. Unfortunately it was a little cold in the room, because the small electric heater is not sufficcient for the room.

• 12th Dec 2014

The location was a little out of the way (10 minutes walk), but you can certainly experience local culture in the friendly neighbourhood. Thumbs up to the clean toilets and internet access.

• 8th Dec 2014
  • Singapore

My private room was quite clean and the shower area was roomy and extremely clean. Nice bed as well. Perhaps the only thing that might be considerate negative is the lack of a closet, yet this is not a real problem. I always carry extra clothes when traveling. The staff were very nice and polite, always a big smile on their faces. Love this place, the location isn't that far from the Tianmen Square And Forbidden City. The subway is convenient enough and not far away from the Hutong.

One of the best hostels I've been too.

I had a lovely stay at the Chinese Box. The people there (employees and guests) were really nice and the hostal is very pretty and close to the main "attractions" of the city. The only bad point I found (if I must give one) is that I had either very cold or very hot water. The rest was perfect, including my individual room.

• 18th Nov 2014

As my room-mate and I discussed, this is a "boutique" hostel. You really do get what you pay for! So I was happy to treat myself after my China Trip was concluding! The whole place is under key card access and is tucked safely away in a hutong. Though at first when I arrived after dark I was scared of the lonely alleyway and how far I was from the road, but in the day I realised that the hutong alley is literally a family area and it's totally safe!

Really nice staff and hostel. Rooms were very nice, and bed was really comfortable.

If you choose some days to stay here, you would better have one day at Friday because you can taste the downplings done by staffs.

I really enjoyed staying here- the staff were so kind and helpful. The hostel is very cute, really clean and the facilities are good. The hostel organised a trip to the wall for me, saved me dumplings from the dumpling party and were just all round lovely. The location is great, easy to get to the main sights- and super close to the metro. I would highly recommend this hostel!

Good points- All the rooms have been refurbished which is excellent because frankly, I like clean. It's very quiet and a safe place. Not so good points- to get to the platform of the subway is about 15 mins. No cafés or bars around the immediate area. They don't clean your room and they only gave me one towel. Single room is very small. The BEST POINT- they speak and understand English. Understand is the key word. Hotels may speak but they can't understand what you want..=difficult.

• 3rd Oct 2014

Thanks for your comment which is really helpful and useful! Leoson

I WILL BE BACK

I was very happy to stay at the Chinese Box. The staff was super friendly and helpful. The hostel and our room was super clean.

• 1st Oct 2014

Great staff, but strange location down long alley - bit scary as a single girl at night!! single room great but pretty small for the price.

Thank you for your comment. It's true that the Chinese Box Courtyard is in a relatively out-of-the-way hutong that can be inconvenient. More central locations like Qianmeng Gate may work better for some travelers, particularly for a one-night stay. Thanks again, we wish you have a great trip! Leoson