Cielo Rojo Hostel Oaxaca Reviews

Xicotencatl 121, Centro, Oaxaca, Mexico

We stayed 2 nights. The dorm beds were terrible because there are no real stairs to climb and they shake like boats on water! ToiletShowers generally are inconvinient and if hooks are missing and even toilet paper gets wet you could think of a better way to start your day...

Great hostel and staff. Close to the centro. Has very relaxed atmosphere. Good breakfast included. Definately needs larger sign for late arrivals especially, but not hard to find. Enjoyed my stay a lot.

Place is amazing. Su and her family are so welcoming. Anything you require can be arranged and the hostel has a close-knit feel for socialising.

This hostel was extremely dirty. There were no sheets on the bed when we arrived and the mattresses were brown and had disgusting stains. The pillows were also dark brown and very thin, if you actually had a pillow on your bed. The hostess didn't seem to care about anything and had a cold personality. The layer of dirty slime on the shower floor was a lovely addition as well. We found a different hostel and just paid the first night.

• 12th Sep 2014

The best hostel!

Overall a pretty good stay. The day trips that are offered are great and it's at a good price. There were people on the same trip who had paid twice as much. The main issue with this hostel is that the toilets don't work all the time which is a big problem. Also there are no lockers. There are four small ones for everyone if you're lucky enough to get one, but other than that there's nothing.

A very simple hostel. Beds and bathrooms were clean but not great. It was VERY quiet when I arrived, so I only ended up staying the night then moving on as I was hoping for a more social atmosphere. Good location in the centre. The dorm rooms don't even close which bothered me a little, but the main door is very secure.

The bedsheets abd matrrsses where to old and washed out but still clean, the rooms felt too closed

Nice little place, very quiet internal courtyard, good bathroom to guest ratio, run by very friendly and relaxed staff, great breakfast, short walk to the zocalo and right next to a few bars, highly recommended, I booked 3 ended up staying 6 nights

Great breakfast! A bigger sign outside would be helpful as it is a little hard to find.

Great people and fantastic location. Highly recommended. The team at reception can help you out with anything you need around Oaxaca. Ask about their super cheap shuttle bus to Puerto Escondido if you're heading there next!

• 5th Aug 2014

The hostel.was great! We arrived late at night by bus. The cab driver dropped us off at a brothel about 8 blovks away from the hostel. The addresses are clearly marked make sure your cab driver brings ypu to the right place. :)

Cielo rojo was an absolute pleasure to stay! The friendliest and happiest staff of any hostel I've been to. So helpful, they even took us to a really cool festival while we were there. Was planning on staying 3 nights and ended up being there for a week. Prime position also, would recommend to anyone

The staff were friendly and there were many interesting (in the positive sense) fellow guests to hang out with. When I was there it wasn't a boozing crowd but people who enjoy travel. There was morning yoga on the rooftop at the time I was there but I don't know if that is a regular thing. Breakfast was fine if not extravagant. I took a private room which was clean and comfortable, but also felt a bit of a fishbowl, with the window facing the courtyard. The location is very strategic.

Nice hostel with a helpful staff and great open areas and rooftop. Walking distance from everything! The lockers are small and the breakfast is very simple but fair.

the staff got up late to prepare the breakfast.the water stopped when I was washing my hair.that's very bad.

Really good hostel in the centre with a friendly atmosphere, there are few bathrooms/showers/toilets and the lockers are fairly small, but otherwise it's pretty perfect.

We loved this hostel! Booked for one night and stayed a week and rebooked for our return to Oaxaca. Great party atmosphere in the courtyard where everyone relaxes. Wonderful helpful staff, so caring when we were sick ad they even let me host yoga on the rooftop, which was a real bonus. Can't recommend enough!

• 10th Jul 2014

Great staff and atmosphere! I stayed here for (only) a night with a friend of mine and we both wished we could have stayed longer. Susi, Rodrigo and Kevin run the place very smoothly, and they are very nice and chill people. Anything you need, let them know and they are very helpful. I highly recommend this hostel!

I was there on a Saturday so the karaoke bar across the street might be heard until past midnight.