Cielo Rojo Hostel Oaxaca Reviews

Xicotencatl 121, Centro, Oaxaca, Mexico

We only stayed one night on our way to puerto escondido. It was very hot in the room but was no worries other than that

Pretty little hostel with helpful staff and a good breakfast, situated in a good location But our bed linen was not very clean - there were hairs on it and the hostel itself was a little chaotic.

The guys who run this place (Efran

Central location - walking distance to zocalo. Staff were helpful and organised shuttle to puerto escondido. Nice atmosphere in hostel in the evenings.

Situated in front of a noisy and polluted street and near a karaoke bar. It offers 2 good services: the early check-in (6-12 30p.breakfast and bed if available) and after checkout (luggage storage and use of common areas until 23 20p.). Ask the free towel; get up early if you want the full breakfast. Friendly atmosphere but sometimes is difficult to sleep.

This hostel is like being at home. It has a great location, not many restrictions and great atmosphere. Every guest feels great during the stay. I really recommend it.

• 2nd Mar 2014

I arrived at 6am, and the staff allowed me to sleep at the couch until check-in :) They are really nice and helpful, but could be easier to find. Localization is great, the facilities good (but they can make them even better/more kozy with more furnishes/hammocks). Toiletpaper we had to ask for all the time. A bit hard to get in contact with people maybe. But all in all, I liked it there.

I was supposed to stay just one night in Oaxaca but due to the great recommendations from the staff I decided to stay longer. They guided me how to get to different communities instead of going to the regular touristic places and it was great! The location is wonderful, the rooftop is a great place to see the sunset and take some drinks with other travellers. I would certainly recommend to stay here.

• 7th Feb 2014
  • Mexico

After reading great and some not so good opinions, I ended up coming here... And I agree, great experience. The guys working/living here (3 young boys) are actually the owners and they made me feel more than happy with my stay. There is always one around and for sure you will get all.. but I mean ALL the information you need from Oaxaca city and state. Loved the roof are, plants, and lots of common spaces. If in budget traveling, ask for the low cost rides this guys recommend, really saved lots

• 5th Feb 2014

My friend and I stayed here for 2 nights and were hoping it would be great following the reviews on hostelworld, but alas we were disappointed. We had to ask for blankets and towels, the poor breakfast was scarce, the 'ensuite' bathroom was not ensuite (across the hall and so other guests felt they could use it too) and not clean. There was zero atmosphere here and I didn't find the staff particularly helpful - when I needed anything I had to first find a member of staff!

Thanks for your comments and we are sad to hear that. Although they differ from everyone and just took our review average down! :( Anyways.. Blankets, towels, fans, additional pillows are optional, of course, you have to ask for them. For breakfast: cereal, teas, coffee, milk, breads, jam, honey, milk, granola, yoghurt, bananas, oranges, apples.. organic. Staff.. owners and living here, it's not hard, at least two of us are always in reception, kitchen, or staff general room

A house suited hostel; not bad. The staff is pretty helpful (the owner anyways, very cool guy). I dealt with a middle aged woman at check in who was quite indifferent and seemed bothered I was checking in--to be fair I interrupted her lunch... but still. Rooms are not very cozy and beds could be adjusted. Good hostel nevertheless.

Really nice and helpful people there. They will help you for anything you need and there is a really cool atmosphere in this place.

Amazing staff, location, price, cleanliness and accomodations. The employees know everything about the town and will not hesitate to help you, either by booking tours/buses for you or giving you all the information that you need to know to have a great stay. A+

• 23rd Dec 2013

This was a last minute booking for us and the staff were very helpful in fitting our group of 5 in the same dorm for the 3 nights we were in Oaxaca. They were also extremely friendly despite speaking only a small amount of English. The hostel was clean and spacious, although there was little atmosphere and no hot water. All up it was good value for money and a very comfortable stay.

Terrible beds! Supposedly orthopaedic but no way near!! Good social areas to hang, and rooftop area to bring beers and watch the sunset and drying washing. Rooms basic and standard size.

Hola! Thanks for your comments. And we hope your trip is still great! We have revised as we registered your bed number and we replaced it. Anyways, in each dorm, we have 3 different mattress style.. some hard, some medium, and some extra soft. We do that as we know every client has a different bed back home. For future guests! It is simple, We are here to offer u a great hostel experience, so if anything is not your best like, we would be happy to know it and fix it before you leave :D

I would not recommend this hostel. After getting off a night bus and arriving at 7am we were not given beds even though there was plenty of empty beds in the dorm we booked. We finally checked in after 2pm and had to ask for someone to make up the beds at 3pm! The room was filthy and so and the bathroom smelt so bad....there was a member of staff asleep on an unmade bed in the for the entire day and slept in a different bed each night we were there, 3 days later he was still in the same clothes.

Hola Thanks for your comment even though we are curious about the misleading opinion. But of course we can inform! For Night Travellers we have an optional early check in + arrival breakfast alternative (even arriving at 6 am) for only a $20 pesos fee. *IMPORTANT: this option is only possible if there are free beds available. +95% times. For the staff member?! All our staff have their own Private Room with a bed and... a lot of clothes for daily change! (it was a long-stay customer) =)

Loved our stay in cielo rojo. A massive thank you to Gervasio who helped us when a car park just down the road were trying to rip us off. You are a legend! Just a warning to those with cars. don't pay 300 pesos a day for parking, shop around and be sure of the cost before u leave your car.

The building is just meant to be as a hostel. However, it hasn't been fully realized it. It is poorly managed. The beds are very bad. To noisy. The upper bed doesn't has a proper stair, therefore, whenever one wants to go down it makes to much noise and movement, that somehow ends up waking the person sleeping in the bed below. Also, several times the restroom didn't have toilet paper. Nevertheless, it has good features, as its coffee, beyond 11 pm it becomes quite, the staff helps you a lot.

Sweet place.