Citadel Youth Hostel Reviews

Jerusalem Old city Jaffa gate, 20 st Marks road, Jerusalem, Israel

Fantastic staff and a great attitude!

• 22nd Jul 2015

Amazing location in the old city! The rooftop was a little too cramped, and it was hard to get good rest with all the sounds from the city.

This hostel is in a good location and interesting building, but i feel like the hostel owners capitalise on that. The room was small and smelly and cramped, and noisy as the walls weren't solid and were right next to the social area.There weren't enough toilets or showers and these were smelly and small. They made me and my friend feel quite unwell! Good location interesting building but poorly maintained.

• 9th Jul 2015

Really good location directly in the old city near Jaffa gate. Staff was VERY helpful. Has a nice rooftop from which you can oversee the old city, you can also sleep there. What I have to criticize is the amount of kitchen equipment, which was very poor. Please fix this! Apart from that a nice hostel.

Hostel staff was extremely helpful and approachable - namely Adam, who helped us with many of our queries (which included providing us with recommendations for food places our side the old city, directions, miscellaneous requests). We were delighted with our room - was very spacious, clean and cooling. Location is perfect for exploring the Old City. Will highly recommend this hostel!

• 26th Jun 2015
  • Singapore

We slept on the roof and used shared bathrooms - there was no hot water in the evenings.Otherwise it was ok. The location is in the Old town - very good.

• 24th Jun 2015
  • Czech Republic

For location in the old city, rooftop and building itself is a very unique place to stay. However the facilities, and particularly the cleanliness, are considerably below average. I had read reviews stating us much before making my decision to stay, and I am glad I did. It is an old building so adaption is difficult, does not excuse filthy, smelly bathrooms every day, which sometimes effects other rooms as well, including my double. Only having a hot shower 4 out of 6 mornings also is a negative

Hello ! Our time in your Hostel was wonderfull, the old man in the morning gave us fantastics tips fo our trip, and the young man and young woman at nights they are both SUPER FRIENDLY. BUT... the old man in the office at night (I think he's also a traveller working in the hostel becouse he had a backpack) he was really MEAN with a women who got locked in the bathroom. I think this guy should be fired so the staff would be perfect without him.

Nice place. Gets the job done. Very cool roof! I wish the rooms locked though.

Very nice hostel. Everything is new and clean! The location could be better if you want to go to the beach everyday, but if you want to see other stuff too, the location is fine. The staff was very friendly and helpful! The hostel has a great 20% discount deal with the bar/café next door. The bar is ideal for meeting fellow travelers or just to have a meal/beer for a good price.

• 25th May 2015
  • Denmark

We didn't expect much for 13 EUR while sleeping on the roof, but I think that even for this price some sheets, clean linen and proper facilities with regular cleaning, soap and toilet paper should be feasible for a hostel. The only good thing about our stay was the nice view over the Old City on the roof and the friendly staff. This hostel could be really nice if they would ensure a minimum of hygiene in the facilities and the mattresses on the roof.

Really nice staff and great location – the roof has a fantastic view. My room was over the bathroom so was roasting, and having a small window into the hallway didn't give that much ventilation but other rooms seemed much nicer. If the weather is good the rooftop sleeping area is probably the best thing to do. The bathrooms are quite dilapidated and could do with a good clean and replacement of doors, and such, which are falling apart.

The hostel is located very well, inside old city of Jerusalen, close to Jaffa door, but according with the cleanliness of the place I could say that the bathrooms are dirty the most of the time, there was no soap and almost always I had to ask for toilet paper, but the staff is very nice and helpful, according with the price is in the average but nothing unexpected

• 17th May 2015
  • Colombia

Staying on rooftop with amazing views during morning and evening was cool! No free tea/coffee at kitchen. Location is really great! Staff is helpful and friendly :-) Good place to meet other travellers from different parts of the world!

I adore the character of this hostel; it's basically a giant Ottoman mansion with an amazing view from the roof! A little more could be desired of the bathrooms, like soap dispensers with soap in them, some of the doors were not great, nowhere to really put your clothes during showers etc. There's a big difference between certain rooms so it's good to look into the specifics before coming. I loved the 13 bed dorm but not a fan of the girls' dorm room. But you can't beat the price!

Despite ad, there is no kitchen! There is a fridge and one electric hob. No oven, microwave, or cooking equipment. However, the vibe in the hostel is great, and location perfect. Lack of a common area hurt it a little, but the whole hostel has a cool feel to it. The staff were knowledgeable, but not proactive / forthcoming. It was like pulling teeth (when they were around - its a bit understaffed). No lockers or powerpoints in the rooms.

A little more attention to maintenance in toilet/shower facilities would be nice

• 6th May 2015

I slept on the roof. I would invest into door of men wash room upstairs and cutlery in the kitchen. Remaining excellent for me: location, price, staff, atmosphere, etc. Next time I will use this hostel again.

The location is nice at the entrance of the old city after Jaffa Gate. The Staff is helpful if you need information regarding buses for example. The atmosphere is amazing with the view of old Jerusalem from the roof top !! Also, the inside is quite uncommon with all the old stones !! The comfort is basic .

• 4th May 2015

The hostel is located in a great location, close to all the prime places. The hostels interior looks great when you enter, but rooms and faclities are very poor. Bed was smelly and found out that sheets did'nt changed. Offcourse I don't expect a lot for this price, but a clean bed... The matras is covered in plastic, so all noise and knispering sounds at night. And sweating cause of the plastic... Also the hostel is extremely noisy, you can hear every neighbour going to the bahroom or toilet!

• 4th May 2015