Citadel Youth Hostel Reviews

Jerusalem Old city Jaffa gate, 20 st Marks road, Jerusalem, Israel

The location is just awesome, in the middle of the old city. Specially on the roof top you have got the best view over it.

1. there`s no free storage!! yes, there`s NO free storage !! the first hostel I`ve seen without free lockers ... and they will charge you 10 NIS/day to use one of the lockers they have only in the ground level 2. the internet wi-fi works ONLY in the reception area ... yeah, there`s NO wi-fi in any another place other than the reception ... so prepare yourself 3. the kitchen is dirty 4. if you plan to stay at the rooftop, make sure you have lockers because I don`t trust the staff as well .. ETC

The client has reserved a place on the roof. The roof is also covered with our security camera.There is a free luggage storage area in the ground floor monitored through our security camera. Our security system allow us to track all movements made and can go back for 6 months back. Lockers for valuables are rented and the only key is with the client. Internet works well in the first floor but not on the roof. Our staff maintain the kitchen clean but some clients leave the utensils uncleaned.

Is not the most comfortable hostel I've been but probably the most interesting one, and one must consider that staying in the old city of Jerusalem in a building so old and beautiful is another kind of luxury. Also I must say that I had serious problems because my passport and money were stolen in the mount of olives and the charming man in the reception helped me a lot, not just with giving me all the information I could need but also with his sympathy that made me feel really better.

The staff was really helpful and I loved the look and feel of the hostel. Great view from the roof and definitely offers unique experience. Shower and toilet situation is not so great but everything else is brilliant. Loved it!

Hello, we just want to say thank you for the great experienced that we have when we are in Israel. All we can comment to the Citadel Hostel is the following. 1. There kitchen needs to have new facilities and necessity specially the cooking materials. 2. Toilet should be clean all the time and they should put toilet paper always. 3. Change bed linen and Towels everyday.

• 16th Jul 2014
  • Philippines

Kitchen facilities are always available to anyone. We care about health so no microwave in the kitchen, Your stay was on the roof and mattress covers and blankets are weekly washed i our laundry. We have all day people for cleaning all over the hostel. Clients are supposed to bring their towels and it seems that this client borrowed a towel from the hostel and kept it with him and never requested to be changed.

Private room was basic but very good. Bed was comfortable. Staff very friendly and helpful. Showers and toilets were clean. The location was amazing, close to all the old city sites. Close to light rail and buses. Very recommended.

Great view from the roof! But not enough restrictions against smokers. Our son has asthma. Plus somebody stole one of our pillows. And the bathrooms were often out of toilet paper.

Loved sleeping on the roof terrace, it was amazing experience!!! Internet is super fast, staff were super helpful no matter what I needed to know and everyone was so friendly. Had to pay in shekels.

• 11th Jul 2014
  • Czech Republic

The lack of air-con didn't really bother us as we were in the top room and could have the windows open. If necessary we had a fan which was sufficient. The area in the common area was lovely, especially the cave like look and feel.

• 3rd Jul 2014

The location in great. The place is a small, for the amount of people staying, making it crowded and not that clean. Wifi works badly.

Highly recommend for adventurous souls. The stay on the roof was a profound experience. No, there is no tent or cover to the roof. The Church of the Holy Sepulchre, Al Aqsa, and Dome of the Rock are all visible from the roof. Church bells and the call to prayer will awaken you before sunrise fully removes any chance of a good night's sleep. If this sounds horrible to you, don't stay on the roof here. If this sounds like an experience, this is the hostel for you.

It is a once in a lifetime to wakeup in a rooftop in Jerusalem :) Total worth it! I had a great time here but I never felt my baggage was safe enough in there as lockers are extra fared...

I absolutely loved it!!! Perfect location and beautiful exotic building! The staff were super nice, friendly bad informative, lots of love from Monica!

Most of the staff was great, really helpful and friendly. The bathrooms were a disaster. They smelled terrible and were wet all the time. Also, our shared dorm was ridiculously hot and crowded. There was almost no ventilation and the bunks were hard to access because so many had been crammed into the room.

• 27th Jun 2014

Not as good as I remembered... The location and roof terrace are the best things about this hostel, and it's a good place for hippies to meet hippies... Other than that, not too impressed. Our room was stuffy and noisy, and it's forbidden to flush paper down the toilet (they have flushers instead). Guests consequently buy their own toilet paper and throw it in the bins, which builds up quite a stink. Probably trying somewhere else next time.

I ended up getting the top bunk in a 13 person room. No problem right? It would have been fine were it not for the fact that this hostel doesn't believe in safety rails. I spent the entire night turning very carefully so I wouldn't fall off the damn thing. Not to mention the fact there's no AC, and it was sweltering hot. Also, some bell or screaming will wake you up every damn hour of the night. Don't reccommend it.

The location is great and the manager welcomed me with kindness and all the information I needed. However, the 5 beds room was certainly not worthy the money that I spent. The room is at the ground level, with no window and extremely humid. The five beds are squeezed in two tiny rooms, a few centimeters one to the other. I imagine that the other rooms are much better, but certainly more expensive.

• 19th Jun 2014

Very, very small kitchen and even smaller bathrooms. Internet only in the Lobby. Good location and very friendly staff though.

The only thing that was odd was that they don't offer toilet paper because it clogs the pipe so instead they installed washers. It's a great place to stay but buy baby wipes!

Cosy hostel situated in Jerusalems old city just five minutes from the Western Wall and the Dome of the Rock. The Staff is very helpfull and speak perfect english. However, bathrooms and showers are extremly tiny so using them can be somewhat of a mission. Also, be warned: There are no toiletpaper avalible anywhere, instead the hostel have installed flushers on the toilets...

• 18th Jun 2014