Citadel Youth Hostel Reviews

Jerusalem Old city Jaffa gate, 20 st Marks road, Jerusalem, Israel

You would expect to have an amazing experience at any hostel in the Old City. The Abraham Hostel on Ha Davidka (Davidka Square) was superb. Meanwhile, when I arrived at Citadel Hostel as a guest the Indian man - allegedly the owner - was racist, rude, offensive and slandered my good character. He illegally took my passport and refused to return it for over 15 minutes until I told him that I would call Israeli Police. He treated European women well but the female African American staff like dirt.

• 18th Mar 2015

I had a very nice stay. The kitchen was a bit dingy; only one side of the hotplate worked, and the side that worked was very slow. However, for the price I paid, it was great.

Great place to stay, even if there are problems with hot water sometimes......

• 12th Mar 2015
  • Hungary

The head room is very limited as I am tall. However it is worth staying there for few days as the views from rooof top are the secret to tourism. I was pleased with staff. They do need to upgrade Kitchen as it is not fully functioning yet. Thanks Staff of Citadel but you must please fix Kitchen ASAP

There are two wings in the hostel building. The bathrooms belonging to the left, where the kitchen is, were is quite uncertain condition: hot water was a rare "gift", and some showers did not work properly. Though the last two days the owner came, and most of the mistakes were repaired, during our 7 days stay it was the shorter part. So a more sudden response to the problems is desirable. The other: the matrace on the bed was covered with plastic. It is not healthy at all.

• 5th Mar 2015
  • Hungary

An very nice place to stay. It's all simple but the inside building is great. When you go inside it's like a cave or sometimes a castel. Fantastic view over the Old city om the 4 roofs. A good place to read a book or small talk. Next time we stay in Citadel.

+ standard rooms safe for valuables equipped kitchen Wi-Fi nice view from the roof location in the Old City - card payment not possible cold rooms, no heating

• 2nd Mar 2015
  • Czech Republic

It is difficult to find any hooks to hang clothes when I need to take a shower. Also it would help to have a second heating range for the cooking of food. There is no kettle for quick hot water.

Our double room was very cold and difficult to heat which is not that comfortable in the winter. Stove in the kitchen does not work, so you cant really prepare warm food. Outside of our room there was a horrible sound coming from the neighbours watersystem honking and disturbing all night and day. At the reception the did not take this very seriously. In the two days we stayed there was never really any hot water. The hostel itsself is beautifully set and the staff is friendly.

The rooms are quite cold (beginning of March).

• 27th Feb 2015
  • Czech Republic

Thus is my FAVORITE place to stay in Jerusalem. Ive been coming here for five years and I have always had a great experience. The staff is incresibly helpful, the view from the roof is stunning, the location is maximally convenient, but the real draw is building itself. You are staying in a castle. Get the triple deluxe if you can swing it. Best room in Jerusalem.

Good location like 2 blocks from Jaffa gate, in old city. Israel is expensive in general, so for the price of the dorm they don't give you breakfast (doesn't has any food, just water) or towel. I went in winter and the room was quite cold. They have tour information, computer free, wifi just in common areas.

even if we just booked for the dorm they upgraded us for free into a three persons room really nice! The atmosphere and the people where really nice as well

• 10th Feb 2015

Really good and quiet hostel. The tarrace on the rooftop is amazing

• 26th Jan 2015

The old guy was awesome! The room was very cold! No WiFi upstairs. Good location if u want to be in the cold city! Not a party hostel

Good hostel with a good panoramic view of the city on the roof. The showers are not good but they have hot water. No heater on the room, had the coldest night I've ever had. I felt bad for Ester, one of the staff members, she seemed like a nice lady but looked always sad, I think the boss demands too much of her and is always criticizing her, the time I was there she was working all day cleaning the hostel and other things and at night she got the night shift on the reception, was up all night:(

Great location, nice and quiet, very easy place to stay.

• 7th Jan 2015

While overall a nice hostel, I cannot recommend the 13 bed room, little space, you need to go over the rooftop (so outside!) to enter, after it rained they were kind enough to show us a different (a little more convenient route) which annoyed me a little bit, since I explicitly asked if there was a different way and was told there was not. It was also pretty cold during the night Also they seem to have troubles with the sewage system, therefore it smells quite a bit, quite often.

Great value for Jerusalem, plus great atmosphere and roof terrace. Only one negative: It really smells bad all the time on the second floor from the shared bathrooms.

• 23rd Dec 2014

Nowhere to put your stuff, just under the bed (and I don't know how often it's swept under there). Would be nice to have some hooks or shelves on the walls near our beds. And quite often, no toilet paper in the bathrooms. Hot water issue needs to be fixed (runs cold a lot during your shower). Fantastic views over Jerusalem from the roof, decent kitchen to use.