Citadel Youth Hostel Reviews

Jerusalem Old city Jaffa gate, 20 st Marks road, Jerusalem, Israel

Is not the most comfortable hostel I've been but probably the most interesting one, and one must consider that staying in the old city of Jerusalem in a building so old and beautiful is another kind of luxury. Also I must say that I had serious problems because my passport and money were stolen in the mount of olives and the charming man in the reception helped me a lot, not just with giving me all the information I could need but also with his sympathy that made me feel really better.

The staff was really helpful and I loved the look and feel of the hostel. Great view from the roof and definitely offers unique experience. Shower and toilet situation is not so great but everything else is brilliant. Loved it!

Great view from the roof! But not enough restrictions against smokers. Our son has asthma. Plus somebody stole one of our pillows. And the bathrooms were often out of toilet paper.

Loved sleeping on the roof terrace, it was amazing experience!!! Internet is super fast, staff were super helpful no matter what I needed to know and everyone was so friendly. Had to pay in shekels.

• 11th Jul 2014
  • Czech Republic

The lack of air-con didn't really bother us as we were in the top room and could have the windows open. If necessary we had a fan which was sufficient. The area in the common area was lovely, especially the cave like look and feel.

• 3rd Jul 2014

Highly recommend for adventurous souls. The stay on the roof was a profound experience. No, there is no tent or cover to the roof. The Church of the Holy Sepulchre, Al Aqsa, and Dome of the Rock are all visible from the roof. Church bells and the call to prayer will awaken you before sunrise fully removes any chance of a good night's sleep. If this sounds horrible to you, don't stay on the roof here. If this sounds like an experience, this is the hostel for you.

It is a once in a lifetime to wakeup in a rooftop in Jerusalem :) Total worth it! I had a great time here but I never felt my baggage was safe enough in there as lockers are extra fared...

I absolutely loved it!!! Perfect location and beautiful exotic building! The staff were super nice, friendly bad informative, lots of love from Monica!

Most of the staff was great, really helpful and friendly. The bathrooms were a disaster. They smelled terrible and were wet all the time. Also, our shared dorm was ridiculously hot and crowded. There was almost no ventilation and the bunks were hard to access because so many had been crammed into the room.

• 27th Jun 2014

Not as good as I remembered... The location and roof terrace are the best things about this hostel, and it's a good place for hippies to meet hippies... Other than that, not too impressed. Our room was stuffy and noisy, and it's forbidden to flush paper down the toilet (they have flushers instead). Guests consequently buy their own toilet paper and throw it in the bins, which builds up quite a stink. Probably trying somewhere else next time.

I ended up getting the top bunk in a 13 person room. No problem right? It would have been fine were it not for the fact that this hostel doesn't believe in safety rails. I spent the entire night turning very carefully so I wouldn't fall off the damn thing. Not to mention the fact there's no AC, and it was sweltering hot. Also, some bell or screaming will wake you up every damn hour of the night. Don't reccommend it.

The location is great and the manager welcomed me with kindness and all the information I needed. However, the 5 beds room was certainly not worthy the money that I spent. The room is at the ground level, with no window and extremely humid. The five beds are squeezed in two tiny rooms, a few centimeters one to the other. I imagine that the other rooms are much better, but certainly more expensive.

• 19th Jun 2014

Very, very small kitchen and even smaller bathrooms. Internet only in the Lobby. Good location and very friendly staff though.

Cosy hostel situated in Jerusalems old city just five minutes from the Western Wall and the Dome of the Rock. The Staff is very helpfull and speak perfect english. However, bathrooms and showers are extremly tiny so using them can be somewhat of a mission. Also, be warned: There are no toiletpaper avalible anywhere, instead the hostel have installed flushers on the toilets...

• 18th Jun 2014
  • Sweden

the girls dorm is windowless, hot and stuffy. the roof is packed with people. it is a great atmospheric building and friendly place but really very cramped and hot in the summer. I would not recommend the girls' dorm at all and especially in summer but some of the private rooms looked nice. there is no toilet paper and it really feels like the service is being provided absolutely as cheaply as possible

• 18th Jun 2014

It is a small hostel with a familiy-like atmosphere. The roof top has a great view over the old city of Jerusalem. The staff was very kind and have good ideas for restaurants and pubs when you asked.

• 15th Jun 2014
  • Switzerland

Location great, in the heart of the city, where life is, just pass every day the market. Staff was really helpfull, thx for it, guys. It was nice time spent there, definitely.

Met some really great people here, also loved the architecture of the place. Very old building, stone walls, great place to stay. View from the roof was phenomenal! Wifi was spotty (sometimes my phone couldn't connect), but you can always use the computer in the lobby if need be.

great location and very helpful stuff. internet could work better ;)

Everyone fighting for wif fi signal (only available at reception)- poor atmosphere as a result

« first « Prev 1 2 3