Citadel Youth Hostel Reviews

Jerusalem Old city Jaffa gate, 20 st Marks road, Jerusalem, Israel

The cleanliness of toilet is not enough.

Great location just near Jaffa Gate. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Plenty of public spaces. The roof is a great, affordable option.

Absolutely great location right in the heart of the old city so it's a quick walk to everything. I loved the feel of the hostel as it was very old and the stones gave it a nice vibe The wifi here was very poor. The rooftops not so impressive ether. There is NO AC OR FANS in the room so if staying during August I would reconsider. Also no common area so hard to meet other travellers.

This year the whole country was subjected to very hot summer for the first time since a hundred years. Never the less the management brought fans to cover the rooms and lobby. The Wifi runs all over the place and is powered by several extenders running around the hostel.

Good atmosphere, no doubt. Reasonnably clean. Nice tours - Dual Narrative Hebron Tour was the best tour I ever did, I highly recommend it if you want to have a glimpse into the reality of the israeli-palestinian conflct.

It is poorly placed if you have a suitcase, and if you don't like being pressured and appproched every half a second having to walk through the Arab quarter to get there its not the place, The rooms were small and cramped and there was no air conditioning in the rooms at all that I could find, I had to open my window, and people outside were talking all night long. Also to get to my room I had to walk through a door way that was only 4 feet tall.

• 24th Jul 2015

Sorry to hear about your experience with us ,this is all part of the hostel Atmosphere ,people from all over the world come here for that reason ,sounds like you are more suitable for a hotel atmosphere if you don't like the market and you need AC ,but we really appreciate your business and hope you will have a better experience next time you are in the holy land . Thank you Adam

Fantastic staff and a great attitude!

Amazing location in the old city! The rooftop was a little too cramped, and it was hard to get good rest with all the sounds from the city.

This hostel is in a good location and interesting building, but i feel like the hostel owners capitalise on that. The room was small and smelly and cramped, and noisy as the walls weren't solid and were right next to the social area.There weren't enough toilets or showers and these were smelly and small. They made me and my friend feel quite unwell! Good location interesting building but poorly maintained.

• 9th Jul 2015

Really good location directly in the old city near Jaffa gate. Staff was VERY helpful. Has a nice rooftop from which you can oversee the old city, you can also sleep there. What I have to criticize is the amount of kitchen equipment, which was very poor. Please fix this! Apart from that a nice hostel.

Hostel staff was extremely helpful and approachable - namely Adam, who helped us with many of our queries (which included providing us with recommendations for food places our side the old city, directions, miscellaneous requests). We were delighted with our room - was very spacious, clean and cooling. Location is perfect for exploring the Old City. Will highly recommend this hostel!

• 26th Jun 2015
  • Singapore

We slept on the roof and used shared bathrooms - there was no hot water in the evenings.Otherwise it was ok. The location is in the Old town - very good.

• 24th Jun 2015
  • Czech Republic

For location in the old city, rooftop and building itself is a very unique place to stay. However the facilities, and particularly the cleanliness, are considerably below average. I had read reviews stating us much before making my decision to stay, and I am glad I did. It is an old building so adaption is difficult, does not excuse filthy, smelly bathrooms every day, which sometimes effects other rooms as well, including my double. Only having a hot shower 4 out of 6 mornings also is a negative

Hello ! Our time in your Hostel was wonderfull, the old man in the morning gave us fantastics tips fo our trip, and the young man and young woman at nights they are both SUPER FRIENDLY. BUT... the old man in the office at night (I think he's also a traveller working in the hostel becouse he had a backpack) he was really MEAN with a women who got locked in the bathroom. I think this guy should be fired so the staff would be perfect without him.

Nice place. Gets the job done. Very cool roof! I wish the rooms locked though.

Very nice hostel. Everything is new and clean! The location could be better if you want to go to the beach everyday, but if you want to see other stuff too, the location is fine. The staff was very friendly and helpful! The hostel has a great 20% discount deal with the bar/café next door. The bar is ideal for meeting fellow travelers or just to have a meal/beer for a good price.

• 25th May 2015
  • Denmark

We didn't expect much for 13 EUR while sleeping on the roof, but I think that even for this price some sheets, clean linen and proper facilities with regular cleaning, soap and toilet paper should be feasible for a hostel. The only good thing about our stay was the nice view over the Old City on the roof and the friendly staff. This hostel could be really nice if they would ensure a minimum of hygiene in the facilities and the mattresses on the roof.

Really nice staff and great location – the roof has a fantastic view. My room was over the bathroom so was roasting, and having a small window into the hallway didn't give that much ventilation but other rooms seemed much nicer. If the weather is good the rooftop sleeping area is probably the best thing to do. The bathrooms are quite dilapidated and could do with a good clean and replacement of doors, and such, which are falling apart.

The hostel is located very well, inside old city of Jerusalen, close to Jaffa door, but according with the cleanliness of the place I could say that the bathrooms are dirty the most of the time, there was no soap and almost always I had to ask for toilet paper, but the staff is very nice and helpful, according with the price is in the average but nothing unexpected

• 17th May 2015
  • Colombia

Staying on rooftop with amazing views during morning and evening was cool! No free tea/coffee at kitchen. Location is really great! Staff is helpful and friendly :-) Good place to meet other travellers from different parts of the world!

I adore the character of this hostel; it's basically a giant Ottoman mansion with an amazing view from the roof! A little more could be desired of the bathrooms, like soap dispensers with soap in them, some of the doors were not great, nowhere to really put your clothes during showers etc. There's a big difference between certain rooms so it's good to look into the specifics before coming. I loved the 13 bed dorm but not a fan of the girls' dorm room. But you can't beat the price!

« first « Prev 1 2 3