City Backpacker - Hostel Biber Reviews

Niederdorfstrasse 5, Zurich, Switzerland

Clean hostel in good location. Reasonable price for Switzerland, but I do think it was stingy charging extra for sheets and as well as for using their computer. This has been free/included in all other hostels I've been too. Wifi only in reception, didnt work 1 day. Reception hours were not good; only until 22 and they take a siesta in the middle of the day from 12-15. As a result the poor cleaning lady had to answer all our questions and try to store luggage for people arriving before check-in.

Expecting a better comment? Even so unfriendly service is not met! I drove from northern Germany. There were storms! The train does not ride!. I could not get there before 10pm. I called from Germany to the hostel, I asked for help. Having the ability to check an hour later! NO! CAN NOT BE! nstructed me to cancel the reservation and they sell this book! I did it and booked another hostel. With my credit card but the money was pulled. This is some thieving method! I do not recommend the use.

• 11th Jun 2014
  • Poland

A great hostel with an amazing location. The staff were awesome; helping you at every turn. Defintely recommend if you're staying in the Interlaken area .... great stuff all around here!

Really close to city center! Very cheap compared to the rest of Zurich! The bathrooms were fairly clean but there wasn't much water pressure. We stayed in a 6 person female and we were the only English speakers in the room but everyone was friendly enough!

Great location and helpful staff. Felt very cramped when it comes to public spaces, but in Zurich space is a premium. My biggest concern with many hostels i went to in Switzerland is charging extra for sheets and almost encouraging people to bring sleeping bags of their own, which to me is asking for cleanliness problems. Overall still had a good stay and would go back if i were in zurich again.

Hostel has everything you need, a kitchen is especially IMPORTANT for Zurich - such an expensive city!! Had a very good stay with great advice received from staff.

It is better to have a locker in room.

Overall the facilities were okay. Only had 1 night. I find that the space was confined and we need to climb up flights of stairs to reach the reception. There was only a small locker in room hence our luggage was not able to be stored securely. Wifi was only limited to the lounge area - which can be really crowded at night. In a good way, it's an opportunity to make friends because many come to the lounge for the wifi. Direction to hostel was not too clear. But it is located in a nice area.

Shower room was dirty, stove on the 4th floor kitchen didn't work and wifi at the reception did not work well. Although the location is good and I met a lot of people, maintenence was horrible....

Hostels in Zurich are expensive, that is a given, but you don't really get what you pay for here! I stayed in a 6 bed dorm that was tiny! The lockers are not big enough to get luggage in, which makes the room even more cramped! There are only 2 showers and toilets (that aren't always clean!) per floor of up to 24 people, which is impractical. Wifi is only in the reception, which gets crowded! Location is good though, in the old town and a short walk to the lake.

Our party of 4 was extremely happy with the accommodations. The property was secure and the room was clean and spacious. I would definitely recommend this hostel to others!

The hostel is near the train station, but instructions were not very clear. There is also a lot of stairs to climb to get to the reception (and possibly your room). Not easy if you have big or a lot of luggage/bags. Room was very small, but sufficient as we only stayed one night as a stopover. Wifi is only available in the lounge area - but there are power sockets there - and lots of chances for mingling.

Great location within walking distance of main train station. Good facilities to cook since Zurich food is so expensive

Very close to train station, but expensive (like everything else in Zürich I guess). Lounge was good for meeting people because everyone had to go there to get wifi. On the downside, you have to go to the lounge to get wifi. It gets the job done for a couple of nights.

The hostel is decent and gets the job done but is nothing special. The bathrooms were not super clean and the amount of beds in a room kinda squished everyone together. It was kind of expensive, but so is Zurich so it was kinda expected.

Nice hostel, close to main city attractions and main train station, rooms were fine, clean and tidy, free wifi only in reception, very helpfull and friendly staff. Good for short stay at Zurych.

There wasnt elevator it could be hard to carry your bags if yours are heavy. Nice rooftop garden though

the location of this hostel is wonderful!!! just in the Niederdorfstrasse, quite near from Zurich HB, and every attraction, just a few minutes on foot.and also the service is great, the staff is so nice.

• 16th May 2014
  • China

The front desk personnel with an Irish accent was absolutely helpful and a delight to talk to. Vey informative and friendly--I needed that after a rough day of feeling tired and a bit sad.

It's a great hostel to stay, clean room and toilet. Just that there is no lift and the room is a bit small if all bed are occupied.

• 13th May 2014