City Backpacker - Hostel Biber Reviews

Niederdorfstrasse 5, Zurich, Switzerland

2068 Total Reviews

24 hour reception would be nice

It will be good if they could up grade the kitchen facilities and also provide bed sheets without paying extra.

• 1st Jun 2015
  • Malaysia

Thank you for your input. We check the kitchen equipment a bunch of times a year and refill what has disappeared.. :-) Kind Regards

Apart from the location, I didn't find anything else up to the mark at this hostel. Overcrowded small rooms, unclean toilets and a rude lady at the reception who was apparently cleaning the toilets at the same time as checking in guests. Had to wait a long time every time I went to the reception.

Great location for a decent price, the Swiss Army knives are a great deal!

arrived and was upgraded for free. great location bit hard to find at first but so central to everything . rooms were clean and the rooftop terrace was awesome ! would defiantly go back . wifi worked well in the room and even on the terrace didn't cut out once :)

Staff was so nice. Location is great.

Very handy placement, comfortables mattresses, the staff was efficient, but I didn’t like the fact that you have to pay extra in order to get the bed linens.

• 30th May 2015

Thanks for your review. The purpose why the bedlinen are not included is to give the backpackers the chance to save some money due to many of them still travel with a sleeping bag or bedlinen. If you travel for months you can save a lot of money by bringing your own linen.. Kind Regards

Sheets not included in the price, which is definetly not the lowest in the world, poor internet connection, poor shower facilities. When I'd just arrived to Switzerland and had no swiss francs, I was asked to left my passport as a deposit to have the possibility of visiting currency exchange point and pay for my bed in a dorm. Amorphous, unhelpful staff

Friendly helpful reception, spotlessly clean room, central location close to transport systems.

• 28th May 2015

Staff were very friendly and helpful. Location right on Niederdorfstrasse was very convenient!

Hotel Biber is located near the main Zurich HB train station, which is convenient. However, as Zurich is currently one of the most expensive cities in the world, two nights cost 71CHF (including 3CHF for sheets) for a six person dorm. The restrooms were shared by the floor, two toilets, two showers. Atmosphere is great - reception area has tables and games, great for meeting other travelers. Lockers are provided (locks are not). LOTS and lots of stairs - but otherwise a good experience!

Thank you for your review. It's true that zurich is an expensive city and therefore hostels are not very cheap too. But there are a lot of things to do in the city that are for free. Ask the receptionist, the staff will provide you a lof of information and also a padlock for free.. :-)

The best thing about the hostel is the location of it, however it's really difficult to go 3-4 floors just to reach the reception if you have a heavy luggage, because it's above a restaurant. It's pricy if you think that you have to pay for the sheets and breakfast is also not included.

Nice place to be

I had an awesome stay at the hostel. The location was amazing and everything was nice and clean. However, the staff was the worst I've ever seen at a hostel. I'm not sure what her name is, but the woman who works the front desk was so rude! I saw she was rude to a lot of guests. She checked me in and put me in a room, then 40 minutes later she came up because she made a mistake and made me repack all my stuff, un make my bed, and move across the hall to a worse set up room. She was rude.

nice hostel

• 17th May 2015
  • China

Excellent location in the old town and close to the train station. Security was good because of the lockers in the rooms and everyone needs a key to go into the room. Rooms and bathrooms are basic but ok. The shared bathroom was rather small, but I didn't experience long queues in the morning.

Location is great. Only problem is the long narrow stairs. Can't seem to find hair dryer neither.

Loved the rooftop patio. Common area a bit small, but Wifi worked well. I was in a room of 4, upgraded from dorm (thankfully). Top bunk was the worst of all 4 hostels. Felt like I would roll out. Had to keep windows open due to heat, but very noisy. Musicians playing and crowds outside. I tried to get a private room the next night, but they wanted full price unless original bunk was filled. Last night in a hostel so I sucked it up. I "might" stay again if had someone to share a double.

• 13th May 2015

Staff were really lovely and the location of this hostel is perfect for exploring Zurich! The hostel borders onto a courtyard which is very lively, so getting an early nights sleep might be hard but it's great for meeting new people!

• 13th May 2015

The staff are very nice and helpful, I enjoyed staying at this hostel. The only bad thing is that you have to walk up a lot of stairs to get up to the hostel.