City Backpacker - Hostel Biber Reviews

Niederdorfstrasse 5, Zurich, Switzerland

2088 Total Reviews

Nice place to be

I had an awesome stay at the hostel. The location was amazing and everything was nice and clean. However, the staff was the worst I've ever seen at a hostel. I'm not sure what her name is, but the woman who works the front desk was so rude! I saw she was rude to a lot of guests. She checked me in and put me in a room, then 40 minutes later she came up because she made a mistake and made me repack all my stuff, un make my bed, and move across the hall to a worse set up room. She was rude.

nice hostel

• 17th May 2015
  • China

Excellent location in the old town and close to the train station. Security was good because of the lockers in the rooms and everyone needs a key to go into the room. Rooms and bathrooms are basic but ok. The shared bathroom was rather small, but I didn't experience long queues in the morning.

Location is great. Only problem is the long narrow stairs. Can't seem to find hair dryer neither.

Loved the rooftop patio. Common area a bit small, but Wifi worked well. I was in a room of 4, upgraded from dorm (thankfully). Top bunk was the worst of all 4 hostels. Felt like I would roll out. Had to keep windows open due to heat, but very noisy. Musicians playing and crowds outside. I tried to get a private room the next night, but they wanted full price unless original bunk was filled. Last night in a hostel so I sucked it up. I "might" stay again if had someone to share a double.

• 13th May 2015

Staff were really lovely and the location of this hostel is perfect for exploring Zurich! The hostel borders onto a courtyard which is very lively, so getting an early nights sleep might be hard but it's great for meeting new people!

• 13th May 2015

The staff are very nice and helpful, I enjoyed staying at this hostel. The only bad thing is that you have to walk up a lot of stairs to get up to the hostel.

Very good location. Everything else was fine except for lack of an elevator to go up 5 flights of stairs. I had a large piece of luggage and a backpack. I will be 71 years old in August and have had open heart surgery and stents. This was a strain on me but I paced myself to prevent any emergency situations. I had some of the same problems with lack of elevators in hotels of Constance, Germany. Others had the same problems and also struggled to cope with it.

• 10th May 2015

For people who travel with big luggage, this is not a good place to stay because the reception is on the second floor and you may be assigned to a room on the fourth floor without any elevator!

• 7th May 2015
  • China

I cannot accept that male and female shared the bathroom!

Stayed in a 6-bed room which was rather cramped but for the price and location in expensive Zurich, it was considered a good deal. One other consideration was the noises from the pubs nearby which continued well past midnight.

Great location and roof top garden, the hostel facilities are old and a bit run down, steps are a problem with luggage. Nice staff, helpful and friendly, will store luggage in the office.

Pretty good location and relatively clean but not much charm after that. Very much a hotel atmosphere with the superficial features of a hostel. Also couldn't get my head around reception hours - more and more hostels in Europe have 24 hour reception, yet this one doesn't have staff past 10pm or even during lunch time. Overall, not that impressed.

Everything was great! Great location, clean facilities, fairly large room, good security.

It s all about location, downtown, walking diatance to the station. But there's a constant smell of food coming from the kitchen of the restaurant at the ground floor, bas smell on the corridors and inside the room, shaby blankets, tiny common area, small bathroom, too small for so many rooms on the floor, only one sink. Very clean bed sheets. Only go there as there are no other options. It's ok for a weekend away

You don't get what you expected from what you pay. Anyway there isn't many option in expensive Zurich, and it's not bad if it's only 1 night stay but if it's more than 2 days, I recommend to spend bit more money and stay in a hotel. City is small so you can walk around anywhere from hostel

Great hostel! was clean, kitchens were great. Had lockers in the rooms. Wifi cut out a bit the further you got from reception but wasn't too bad. Fabulous location in the middle of town. Quite reasonable for Switzerland prices

Awesome location- not far from the station or the sights. Beautiful rooftop over looking the old town. Beware you need to pay extra for sheets.

no lift in the building so you needa carry your stuff, walking up for a few floors.

• 25th Apr 2015