City Center Backpackers Hostel Reviews

41-A, HongKong Street, Singapore, Singapore, Singapore

Stinky in the lobby and dirty in the bathroom.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

If you just have to stay overnight, this will do. Just take your earplugs with you. This in not a bad hostel anyway, just quite a poorly managed. The staff is really ignorant and doesn't seem to care anything. Thus nothing seem to work and hostel feels really restless. Excellent located, though it does not replace lack in quality. Would find lost of hostel with better value for money in Singapore.

I don't know what to add but I would say: Simply the worse hostel I have ever been in my life despite I have travelled all around the world!

The rooms were stinky and walls are very thin. The toilets equipment were not unto mark (water leakage). The family room is on 4th floor with no lift / elevator and this is not mentioned in the website. So had to carry my 3 years child at least 2-3 times up and down. People smoke in no smoking zone. There are long term residents who talk and make noise till 2-3 am hence not able to sleep. One of the worst experience as my bag packers stay in last 7 years. The owner knows about this!

• 20th Dec 2012
  • India

I booked a twin room. Unfortunately we got offered a double bed. We refused. We got offered a very small room with a bunk bed. The bed sheets looked used. The door could be broken up easily. There is no lift, so you have to take a lot of steep stairs. It was often loud during the night and early in the morning. People smoked on our non smoking floor. We were on the second floor. Maybe the first floor is better.

Respected Sir, We are sorry for the inconvenience caused, Severe action will be taken for the bedsheet matter towards the House keeping staff. About the lift, there are lots of back packers in this lane but none has a lift facility. Management has fined and removed those people who has breached the hostel rule and smoked in non smoking areas. We are sorry for the bad experience happend in our place, and thanks a lot for the feed back. We ll make sure that none of the gust go through such things here after. Thanking You Regards Management.

Great location and thats the only positive thing to say about this hostel. The room wasnt very clean but the bathroom was just really bad - hair all over the floor. You have to climb 4 floors to get to your room. Luckily, we were out all the time. For the same price I found a much better hostel in Singapore so I wouldnt recommend City Backpackers to anyone. PS Deluxe room is very, very basic.

The hostel was very dirty, they had not changed the sheets after the last person living there. The bathroom was used by about 20 people and after dirty.trying to point out that there was a used sanitary pad there, I was totallly ignored. Rooms were small, with bunkbeds. Wifi was good. The size of the rooms might be acceptable for Singapore, the cleanliness was not.

• 24th Nov 2012
  • Sweden

We booked our accommodation online. However when we got to city centre back packers, they told us they were full and that it had never been booked. Very disappointed with the service. We then had to walk around for 2 hours trying to find a room.

• 23rd Nov 2012

Respected Sir/ Madam, We are very sorry for the inconvenience caused, this happend due to some technical issue happened with the data base, We have even informed you about the problem through mail just after 5minutes of your booking. As a compensation we are offering you a one night free accommodation in our hostel in a private room which cost SGD 80 any time you visit Singapore next time. Hope to see you soon and serve you better. Thanking You Regards Management

Friendly staff, great location within walking distance from Chinatown and Clarke Quay, good wifi and basic breakfast.

• 14th Nov 2012

Brilliant location, manager was very nice and helpful. Breakfast was just bread and jam but to be honest its better than nothing and its enough to keep ya going until you head out. My cousin and I stayed in a 6 dorm but we were alone until the following night and just three more people came in, there are lockers for all ya things. I dont think i would have liked it if i had been on my own as we didnt really see anyone else from the hostel but its a good place to stay non the less. Would recommd

We appreciate your feed back, hope to serve you even better soon. Thanking You Regards Manager

The location was amazing so close to clarke quay, and marina bay. the staff were really friendly and helped showed us the good places to go and the beds were pretty comfy, i would definately recommend this place

• 28th Oct 2012

The staff don't respect the silence after 11.00 pm, talking and laughing.. No problem if the walls was not in paper..

We apologies for the inconvenience caused Sir, its not the staff instead the other guests use the space for there chats too. From now we will make sure that after 11 there is no sound which will effect the gusts sleep. Thanks Regards Manager

Very friendly and helpful staff!! Thanks a lot again.

Thanks a lot Sir, It was a pleasure to serve you. Hope to see you soon . Regards Manager

Location is good, very close to clark quay and china town. Also 7-11 is across the street. We stay at the triple bedroom, its on the 4th floor. The room is small and the wall is not insulated. Also AC remote is not working, and you have to smoke outside building, but they have small area where you can have coffee or tea looking out the window and also ironing table.

• 20th Sep 2012
  • Indonesia

very friendly staff very helpfull

It was a great place to stay. The room was a little bit cramped, but it was a great place to just sleep at night. The staff was fantastic and it was really easy to take the MRT to anywhere else in Singapore. I would go back again if I'm ever in Singapore.

• 10th Aug 2012

Barely any people were staying at the hostel and the ones that were present were on the older side. The facilities are adequate/clean. The breakfast is white bread and jam. In a food city like Singapore, I definitely skipped out on breakfast so I could get some real food (Maxwell Food Center is w/in walking distance). The male manager was nice and friendly, the female was not. I accidentally walked into another hostel before I found this one, wish I stayed there, it looked a lot better

Good location, close to MRT station and local eateries. Double room was small with no window, but facilities were adequate and air-con appreciated! Helpful staff who leant us an adapter and let us shower, store luggage etc when we arrived early before we could check in.

The most I love about this place is the cleanliness and the friendly staff!! :)

• 4th Aug 2012
  • Malaysia

Non-caring hostel manager, tiny rooms that did not reflect our booking. Few customers and no hospitality whatsovever. It was clean, nothing more. The "Continental breakfast" that was so nicely presented to us was made up of white bread and jam. The hostels nearby are way better!

• 29th Jul 2012